• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY - Immaterial Non-Physical Interaction Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise what an uppercut is right?

'Bro, her punch barely, if at all, landed on the mask. Oops, sorry, your argument just fell apart.'

Like, yeah, please do. I think you're here to troll, like you've already admitted to.
You do realize that in the case of physical combat we go by where something hit right? It's not just what an uppercut is its where it hit.

I don't care if you think I'm trolling, like, genuinely, that's one of those things nobody should get riled up about, but gaslighting is a very real thing that you should not throw around because you don't like that someone doesn't agree with you.

You do realize that in the case of physical combat we go by where something hit right? It's not just what an uppercut is its where it hit.
Yeah...and its hit in the head region. A.k.a it would interact with the mask. Literally i wasn't even the one to bring this up, the staff above were.
I don't care if you think I'm trolling, like, genuinely, that's one of those things nobody should get riled up about, but gaslighting is a very real thing that you should not throw around because you don't like that someone doesn't agree with you.
Except you've literally already admitting you were trying to do this, and are being as sarcastic as blatantly possible to try and start a tense argument again. You aren't exactly being civil here yourself. It is gaslighting, and i'd appreciate it if you just didn't please

Hell, to use an example from a very popular fighting game, Sagat's big ass scar came from Ryu doing an uppercut from below, is that suddenly not an uppercut because it didn't specifically hit his chin?
Please stop bringing other verses and scenarios, its irrelevant. Ryu's shoryuken still brushed agaisnt Sagats chest and actually uppercut him to take it out.

Take it up with the people who actually made the point, the mask is clearly a weakspot of the Geist

Yeah...and its hit in the head region. A.k.a it would interact with the mask. Literally i wasn't even the one to bring this up, the staff above were.

Except you've literally already admitting you were trying to do this, and are being as sarcastic as blatantly possible to try and start a tense argument again. You aren't exactly being civil here yourself. It is gaslighting, and i'd appreciate it if you just didn't please
Yes, the very edge of the mask. The majority of the hit wasn't at all on the mask. Rewatch the hit again please.

I know well I'm not being the most civil myself, but at least I'm not throwing false accusations around because you happen to disagree with me on a battleboard. if that little is what it takes to be gaslighting, then you are by far the worst gaslighter on this thread by your own standards for such. Your argument did indeed fall apart when you said that an uppercut must hit the chin.

me? My standards for what is and isn't gaslighting goes far higher then just disagreeing with me on a verse, people are allowed to have their own opinions, I might disagree with or not like them, but it's no excuse to throw around baseless accusations like gaslighting, it's not a good look mate
Please stop bringing other verses and scenarios, its irrelevant. Ryu's shoryuken still brushed agaisnt Sagats chest and actually uppercut him to take it out.

Take it up with the people who actually made the point, the mask is clearly a weakspot of the Geist
I bring SF into this because you say it was an uppercut so it had to have hit the chin.

I never said it wasn't, I said that the uppercut didn't fully hit the Geist's mask.

Yes, the very edge of the mask. The majority of the hit wasn't at all on the mask. Rewatch the hit again please.
The edge of the mask is still...the mask? Why doesn't the edge of the mask not count as the mask?
I know well I'm not being the most civil myself, but at least I'm not throwing false accusations around because you happen to disagree with me on a battleboard. if that little is what it takes to be gaslighting, then you are by far the worst gaslighter on this thread by your own standards for such. Your argument did indeed fall apart when you said that an uppercut must hit the chin.
Well you are? Especially with this whole uppercut things
me? My standards for what is and isn't gaslighting goes far higher then just disagreeing with me on a verse, people are allowed to have their own opinions, I might disagree with or not like them, but it's no excuse to throw around baseless accusations like gaslighting, it's not a good look mate
You have literally already shown multiple times you've been trying to cause arguments and create tension yourself. Its gaslighting yes
I bring SF into this because you say it was an uppercut so it had to have hit the chin.

I never said it wasn't, I said that the uppercut didn't fully hit the Geist's mask.
Literally irrelevant when the Geist was literally uppercut in the chin. Please stop derailing and bringing in completely separate verses

The edge of the mask is still...the mask? Why doesn't the edge of the mask not count as the mask?

Well you are? Especially with this whole uppercut things

You have literally already shown multiple times you've been trying to cause arguments and create tension yourself. Its gaslighting yes

Literally irrelevant when the Geist was literally uppercut in the chin. Please stop derailing and bringing in completely separate verses
Because the fist wouldn't be solidly hitting the mask? Friction doesn't help much with what's a really smooth surface.

This is the singular most hollow accusation I've ever seen, it's being heated, you've done that on this thread a lot more then I have. And if trying to cause arguments and creating tension is disagreeing with your CRT... bro that's just battleboarding, things usually get heated, it's up to the self-control of the individuals to not just start insulting and accusing the other of things. I'm not exactly innocent there myself, but I'm doin better then you

Rewatch the hit please.

Just saying, if she hit the mask like that without perfect positioning her fist would've slipped one way or the other. Can someone post a scan of that punch again?
Frame by frame scan
TELNsfS.png

Because the fist wouldn't be solidly hitting the mask? Friction doesn't help much with what's a really smooth surface.
The edge of the mask is still the Mask.
This is the singular most hollow accusation I've ever seen, it's being heated, you've done that on this thread a lot more then I have. And if trying to cause arguments and creating tension is disagreeing with your CRT... bro that's just battleboarding, things usually get heated, it's up to the self-control of the individuals to not just start insulting and accusing the other of things. I'm not exactly innocent there myself, but I'm doin better then you
Think what you will. But i havent appreciated the way you word your input here tbh

I mean, is there really anymore? Possibly npi should be fine.
Why possibly when none of RWBY have shown interacting with what would actually be the intangible part of the Grimm, and had to exploit its mask weakspot?

No I'm going to fold when I'm proven wrong, in this case, the frame-by-frame has proven me wrong so...
You were telling me to rewatch the fight after you apparently had done so multiple times, yet didnt pick up on it till a staff member literally had to argue against you :rolleyes: Plz

You were telling me to rewatch the fight after you apparently had done so multiple times, yet didnt pick up on it till a staff member literally had to argue against you :rolleyes: Plz
Because the punch was fast as ****, and my pausing skills aren't the greatest LMFAO

Why possibly when none of RWBY have shown interacting with what would actually be the intangible part of the Grimm, and had to exploit its mask weakspot?
Because there is still no proof that the mask is tangible when we've seen it phase through materials that Geists possess

Four pages of back and fourth arguments just to circle back to the conclusion that has been proposed since the start of the thread lmao

Ironically RWBY chibi also shows the geist's mask phasing through matter but the show itself is non-canon

According to the full clip, the mask seems to have different properties than the black body.

The hook couldn't touch the black body, but it could touch the mask.

The mask can phase through objects in the possession process, but once completed, it sets itself on the object and becomes tangible again.

Ironically RWBY chibi also shows the geist's mask phasing through matter but the show itself is non-canon
RWBY Chibi also shows it getting trapped in a box

But RWBY Chibi clearly isnt a factor either of us are seriously considering for anything.

According to the full clip, the mask seems to have different properties than the black body.

The mask can phase through objects in the possession process, but once completed, it sets itself on the object and becomes tangible again.
Yeah, the Geists intangibility has always only been shown alongside its main possession power. Theres no other showings of it being intangible through other ways or regards

Especially never blocking physical attacks, or just existing on a separate spiritual plane like Immaterial Intangibility is meant to be.

The hook just missed the Geist, specifically due to Qrow's bad luck semblance

Especially never blocking physical attacks, or just existing on a separate spiritual plane like Immaterial Intangibility is meant to be.
It is not 'meant to be' specifically existing on a different plane, that is just one potential application of it.

The hook just missed the Geist, specifically due to Qrow's bad luck semblance
It wasnt specifically confirmed as Qrows semblance, the Geist even looked back which just shows it coulda dodged it. Qrows semblance was effectively cancelled out alonsgide Clover's good luck.

It is not 'meant to be' specifically existing on a different plane, that is just one potential application of it.
What else suggests its Immaterial Intangibility though?

You're saying the Geist can attack people back, but they cant be touched naturally outside of it being able to control its tangibility/just its bone parts being physical like the mask and claws. You're also saying it hasn't got phasing intangibility except it does when it possesses stuff. And you've only gathered this from the one adjective of 'Intangible'. What else makes it Immaterial?

Cause to me the intangibility only seems to work on things its specifically possessing, rather than the grimm just being immune to all physical attacks on its own, contradicting its form of intangibility more so than the RWBY characters just assumingly having NPI when its not a real ghost.
Its just genuinely too unclear to be considered completely passively intangible from assuming this alone imo.

Last edited:
What else suggests its Immaterial Intangibility though?
The fact that its outright stated to be intangible and can enter physical matter freely. Immaterial intangibility is the default assumption for intangibility unless shown otherwise
You're saying the Geist can attack people back, but they cant be touched naturally outside of it being able to control its tangibility/just its bone parts being physical like the mask and claws. You're also saying it hasn't got phasing intangibility except it does when it possesses stuff. And you've only gathered this from the one adjective of 'Intangible'. What else makes it Immaterial?
Correct, because its never stated or shown to be able to become tangible.

And yes, it does not have phasing intangibility. Phasing intangibility is an active form of intangibility that involves vibrating your molecules to move through matter. Said ability already exists in RWBY and is depicted as completely different from the intangibility the Geist displays

The fact that its outright stated to be intangible and can enter physical matter freely. Immaterial intangibility is the default assumption for intangibility unless shown otherwise
And that wouldnt be phasing?

Im not sure on the ruling of that when like...the main factor of intangibility is you can walk through walls and stuff. Id think its been shown otherwise by the fact it actually got hit but er...as long as this is just another assumption
Correct, because its never stated or shown to be able to become tangible.
Its been hit before, and it tried to attack someone physically while its mask is showing multiple tangible qualities.
And yes, it does not have phasing intangibility. Phasing intangibility is an active form of intangibility that involves vibrating your molecules to move through matter. Said ability already exists in RWBY and is depicted as completely different from the intangibility the Geist displays
No, thats just the Flash's way of intangibility as a biproduct of his speed. A lot of intangibility powers like Kitty Pryde or Mirio can just basically make their body not interact with matter through uncertain methods

Dont see how a Geist can 'enter physical matter freely', but still not be a phasing intangibility. I dont see how that would protect it from physical attacks when its never shown to withstand a physical attack before at all. How would the Geist specifically not be able to phase through anything solid that isnt someone actually attacking them?

Last edited:
Heck are Ruby's sniper bullets even imbued with aura? They're separated from her gun when theyre fired, and i dont think RWBY characters can indefinitely imbue their aura into things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back