• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rosalina's power level is massively overestimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's talk about Rosalina. Commonly considered to be one of the more powerful characters in the Mario canon, but having played through and 100%ed both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 multiple times, I argue that she is actually on the weaker end of the scale.

According to her page, Rosalina "effortlessly recreated the universe", has a speed "At least 76.7 trillion times faster than light... Far superior to Grand Star powered Bowser, who can tag Starship Mario during flight", has striking strength "Should be vastly stronger than Super Mario Galaxy Bowser, who was empowered by a Grand Star and narrowly survived the universe's Destruction", and range "At least Universal+ with her abilities (Had reset the universe)". All of these statements are wrong.

First up, Rosalina did NOT reset the universe. Looking at the ending cutscene of Super Mario Galaxy, it's quite clear that the galaxy's explosion was initiated by Bowser's Galaxy Reactor exploding . Rosalina did not even appear the scene until after the galaxy itself exploded and the Lumas all fell in. According to the Prima Guide, the only thing Rosalina did in that entire scene was that she shielded them from the blast. This speaks to her durability but says nothing about her own attack potency/strength.

In addition, the blast was not universe-level. All it was was the galaxy resetting, triggered by the implosion of the Galaxy Reactor. Rosalina herself says that this is part of a natural cycle in which galaxies are created (which also provides further, if not conclusive, evidence that the new galaxy being born was not Rosalina's doing). The universe was not "utterly destroyed", the galaxy was. The only mention of the universe is once again the Prima Guide which mentions that the galaxy's destruction "threatened the very fabric of the universe" — but this does not mean that the universe as a whole was threatened. Note that a black hole not only threatens but punctures the very fabric of the universe, and there is no shortage of black holes in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

That's not even to mention that the Lumas blunted the effect of the blast. This was to an unknown degree, but whatever effect it had only meant that Rosalina needed even less durability to protect Mario and Peach. Based on all of this, I conclude that Rosalina's durability is AT MOST galaxy level, with the lower bound being at least an order of magnitude higher than Peach's (otherwise there would be no point in her protecting Mario and Peach from the blast)

I have no idea where the idea that Rosalina is trillions of times faster than light came from. We never see her transport herself at a speed above a slow walk. She does have control of the Comet Observatory, which we see traveling at fast but undefined (and AT MOST sub-relativistic) speeds, but this itself is powered by the life of a Luma turned into a comet. I'm pretty sure that control of a fast object that's powered by something else doesn't count. So, Rosalina's speed is AT LEAST normal human (based off sm4sh), with no upper bound but no evidence for anything above it.

The only evidence we have for Rosalina's attack potency is Super Smash Bros. 4 (I have no clue where the idea that she's universe+ in that regard is from). In it she can pack a serious punch (depending on who you ask, she is anything from #10 to #1 on the tier list), but importantly this is with Luma. Alone, Rosalina is really quite weak, with only average-strength smash attacks, aerials and kill throws. Yes, she can warp space and create mini-galaxies or do whatever the hell her specials in Mario sports games are, but all they can do is launch with the same power as your average SSB smash attack. Given that, I'd place her attack potency where her lifting strength is, superhuman level (enough to launch opponents in the air) but no higher.

Her striking strength is in a similar position. We don't see her strike anyone outside of sm4sh, so that's all we have to go off — superhuman, but not incredibly so.

"But rtg142857, you keep talking about how there isn't any evidence for her being strong, but you haven't given any evidence for why she's 'on the weaker end of the scale' ", I hear you cry. Well, that's what I'm getting to right now, and it involves something that happens in both SMG and SMG2 that's so important that I'm frankly shocked that it's not discussed more:

Rosalina is overpowered by Bowser. TWICE.

That is to say, in the only two scenes that Rosalina actually interacts with someone in any manner that resembles combat, she loses. Not only that, she goes in both with a massive power advantage: in Galaxy 1 the situation is relatively unknown but we know that Rosalina had full control of the Comet Observatory, being powered by 7 mighty Grand Stars, and that Bowser was able to completely strip the Observatory of said power. In Galaxy 2 the situation is more clear, as we see it for ourselves: Despite Bowser only having control of one (two? The cutscene before the final battle isn't the clearest) Grand Stars to Rosalina's seven, Bowser uses the Galaxy Generator to completely dominate the Comet Observatory without even stripping it of its power. From this, there can be no doubt that Bowser's power level is orders of magnitude greater than Rosalina's.

I've tagged this as Content Revision because it regards changing information on the wikia, but given the magnitude of the changes that I think should be made this will definitely require some further discussion. Please reply with your thoughts, because I absolutely think that the Rosalina page needs serious revision due to the above reasons.

As a TL:DR, I'll just list the raw changes I think need to be made:

Tier: Low 2-C -> 8-B; Attack Potency: Universe level+ -> 9-A; Speed: Massively FTL+ -> Normal or Athletic Human; Striking Strength: Galactic -> Superhuman; Range: Standard Melee Range -> Tens of Metres (but that's another discussion).

EDIT: Ignore the tier section above in its entirety, I didn't know exactly how the tiers worked when I wrote it. The rest of the post still stands.

inb4 debunked

Today is not Cal's day.

Also what is up with Tier 8-B but 9-A Ap?

@Teen

Instead of snarking, would you mind listing reasons as to why you think the OP's listening is not legitimate? You aren't helping advance the conversation.

I want Cal and Dino Ranger Black on here before we do anything.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
The Low 2-C feat is undoing what Bowser did.
And no this is clearly not just on a galactic scale.
Like I said, she didn't 'undo what bowser did'. It says in SMG that galaxies being recreated/reset is part of the natural cycle. All Rosalina did in the cutscene was shield Mario and co. from the blast, which is not a Low 2-C feat.

The potentially massive discrepancy between Rosalina's durability (which could be up to Galactic) and her attack power (which we know to be superhuman) is why I said she's Tier 8-B but AP 9-A. Surely that durability has to come into play somewhere.

In that case, her Tier and Ap should be 9-A, but Dura would be 8-B.

But why those numbers specifically?

SomebodyData said:
I'm not sure where you're getting "Dura 8-B" from, but this wikia doesn't have a number system for durability, only "galaxy level" etc.

If Tier and Ap are synonymous, then yeah, I'd call her tier 9-A, but I always understood tier as being a sort of combination of everything. In Rosalina's case this is superhuman or human for everything but durability which is many orders of magnitude greater, which bumps up her tier a few points.

8-B and 9-A literally comes from nowhere. No one has these stats and none of them are remotely related to her feats.

If this was just a galactic bust like you claim it to be, we could clearly have seen other stars and galaxies there.

Note that by the end of the game, all the MG world was rebuilt, including numerous galaxies.

Randomtechguy142857 said:
SomebodyData said:
I'm not sure where you're getting "Dura 8-B" from, but this wikia doesn't have a number system for durability, only "galaxy level" etc.
If Tier and Ap are synonymous, then yeah, I'd call her tier 9-A, but I always understood tier as being a sort of combination of everything. In Rosalina's case this is superhuman or human for everything but durability which is many orders of magnitude greater, which bumps up her tier a few points.
Either that or I've got the completely wrong idea for Tier and how this wikia is structured, which is always a possibility. The point still holds though.

8-B = City Block counterpart, its just me typing fast.

nah tier = ap only.

I'm not familiar in the reasoning behind Rosalina's stats so I'm not gonna debate, but you should probably put the reasoning behind your suggested tiers with the tiers.

These tiers you are proposing, as low as 8-B and 9-A, are completely ludicrous.

By this logic, she is one of the weakest characters in the whole franchise. Weaker than TOADS.

She literally resets the universe at the end of SMG1.

TeenAngel101 said:
If she is only Galaxy level, according to you, why is she 9-A?
And why is her Tier 8-B for no reason?
"Only Galaxy level"? Last time I checked, an AP of 9-A is far, far lower than galaxy level. Her attack power isn't galaxy level, her durability is.

Her tier is 8-B as a compromise between her durability and her other stats, for which there is a massive discrepancy. The value of 8-B was my best estimate, but her exact tier is definitely something that I would like to discuss further before it's settled on.

JS250476 Did you read anything that I wrote?

Also iirc Rosalina has a similar feat in Mario golf in her victory animation so ether way I don't agree with the downgrade

SomebodyData said:
8-B = City Block counterpart, its just me typing fast.
nah tier = ap only.

I'm not familiar in the reasoning behind Rosalina's stats so I'm not gonna debate, but you should probably put the reasoning behind your suggested tiers with the tiers.
@Somebody @Saikou If tier == AP, then you can safely ignore the specific numbers I put for tier, as those were estimates based off faulty assumptions of how tiering works. That is something that needs to be discussed once the discussion about her overall power level is cleared up.

@Teen Read what I posted before trying to refute, please.

I already countered your reasoning for it being only 3-C. This event clearly affected more than just a galaxy.

TeenAngel101 said:
DRB explained this way back in 2016. How is this still an issue?
I reference this very image as a source."Rosalina shielded Mario and Peach", nothing more. It never says in the guidebook (which I have read myself) that it was Rosalina that recreated the universe, I don't know where DRB got that from.

Yes, she shielded them, FAIRLY EASILY, from a blast that threatened the FABRIC OF THE UNIVERSE.

This is Low 2-C, and scales to her AP and everything else.

This is everytime someone tries to downplay people by saying durability feats don't scale to AP.

That logic would only work if she shielded them with her body from the Low 2-C. Which clearly didn't happen.

Yes, but she shielded them with her own power. So this doesn't matter.

She can easily create shields that can fend off universal destruction, and can simply convert this energy into an attack or such.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
I already countered your reasoning for it being only 3-C. This event clearly affected more than just a galaxy.
"If this was just a galactic bust like you claim it to be, we could clearly have seen other stars and galaxies there.

Note that by the end of the game, all the MG world was rebuilt, including numerous galaxies."

If we're going off SMG's very odd definition of the word "Galaxy", then fine, numerous galaxies. That's not the entire universe, given that this is a natural cycle — if it always affected the entire universe, we would have seen the black hole at the start sucking in absolutely everything. But it didn't; all it sucked in was the Comet Observatory, some planets and the Lumas. That does not count as the entire universe.

Also, bear in mind that SMG's usage of "galaxy" is more like our usage of "solar system".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back