• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ron Weasley vs Hermione Granger (grace)

That's not exactly the best example, that was when Ron and Harry were busy arguing and she was probably already ready.

It seems ridiculous to suggest that she can draw her wand faster than 2 trained Quidditch players, especially when one is a Seeker and one is a Keeper.

Plus this fight is by the time of book 5.

I don't actually know whether or not you can simply ignore movie content, unless it directly contradicts the book in a meaningful way. Anyhow, don't know about grace, so...

Full quote:

Ron made a sudden movement: Harry reacted, but before either wand was clear of its owner's pocket, Hermione had raised her ow
It seems to imply that Hermione already has her wand in her side, which makes logical sense as well considering the two had been arguing for quite a while.

Because there's no way Hermione who was literally said multiple times to be a terrible Quidditch player has faster reflexes than the Seeker who's only lost one match due to a storm and the Keeper who won them the Cup in the fifth year.

The Archdemon said:
I don't actually know whether or not you can simply ignore movie content, unless it directly contradicts the book in a meaningful way. Anyhow, don't know about grace, so...
Usually I do count movie content, but considering how the movies treat Ron like a joke it would be a Hermione stomp if we use movie content, as literally demonstrated in the fifth film.

He's far from an incompetent comic relief as portrayed in the films. Half of Ron's feats don't exist in the films, and many of his badass moments are attributed to Hermione. Probably has something to do with Kloves being a Harmione shipper.

The thing is, there's no telling between the "versions" in HP profiles, book and movie are mixed and treated like one single version.

It's not that hard to just refer to stuff in the books and not the movies...

The storyline is roughly the same, but they are rather different in terms of the characters' personalities. Imo we should treat the movies as secondary canon.

I mean magical feats, most of the physical feats we use are from the books but most of the magical feats we use are from the films interestingly.

Anyway.

If this is by the time of the fifth year, then I do believe Ron has a slight disadvantage, though lesser than it would be if it happened by the Sixth Year, I guess.

That said, we can clearly say he's nowhere near as brilliant as Hermione, and even acknoledges to be afraid of her sometimes. She's far more advanced in studies, casting third year spells at Year One, and being know for her abilities of wandless magic, having practised it over her years at Hogwarts. Her martial magic's not weak too, making short use of two Death Eaters at the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.

Against Ron, I believe she would perform pretty well. Her magic capacities are more useful than Ron's, both due to her wide arsenal of spells and charms, and to her intelligence and wit. A swift Silencing Charm would make short use of Ronald, striping him away from his magic that early in the fight. Her Full Body-Bind Curse, one she mastered all too early, would do him in just as quickly. Her Shield Charm was also regarded as a pretty powerful one, and she could most likely stonewall anything Ron threw at her. Her transfiguration magic's also quite impressive, being praised by McGonagall herself. She could transfigurate things on their environment in order to distract her opponent, using the Avifors Spell or even the Draconifors Spell, possibly even putting Ron on the back foot.

All in all, I see Hermione taking this in most scenarios. Granted, she would most likely be in trouble if Weasley got into a fist fight with her, but I do believe she could still manage to deal with him rather well since, while at her Duelling Club session, she got on a headlock with Millicent Bulstrode (who was much much bigger than Harry), and got out only with a black eye. Ronald just lacks the stones to back this fight up.

I'd argue Hermione is likely physically as strong if not stronger since she one-shotted Malfoy with a punch.

"One-shot Malfoy with a punch"

That was far from a one-shot, Hermione just slapped him in the face (it was a slap in the books), and Malfoy was stunned but fine. Not to mention Malfoy isn't the physically strongest person either.

Ron is definitely stronger at least physically (although it barely matters in a magical duel anyway), he's described as extremely tall, is actually trained in sports, and often resorts to physical attacks more.

Plus Ron didn't get any injuries when Hermione went crazy when Ron came back and punched him multiple times with all her might in the Deathly Hallows. He even joked about how Hermione's birds in the Half-Blood Prince hurt more.

Hermione wouldn't be stupid enough to try to fight Ron with his fists, but if she does she'll get easily defeated.

Also first year Ron wrestled with and gave Malfoy a black eye when watching the second Quidditch match.

"We won! You won! We won!" shouted Ron, thumping Harry on the back. "And I gave Malfoy a black eye and Neville tried to take on Crabbe and Goyle single-handed![...]"
Compared to third year Hermione's slap:

Harry and Ron both made furious moves towards Malfoy, but Hermione got their first -- SMACK!

She had slapped Malfoy around the face with all the strength she could muster. Malfoy staggered. Harry, Ron, Crabbe and Goyle stood flabbergasted as Hermione raised her hand again.

That was one of the main reasons PoA was my favourite Harry Potter movie- I'm quite sad it's non-canon. God, I don't think I've read PoA the book in 10 years.

Back