• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removing the Amaterasu example as being a hyperbole from the Hyperbole page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amaterasu was accepted to be around as hot as the sun in this thread, but I figured that in the Hyperbole page, it still lists Amaterasu to be as hot as the sun as an hyperbole statement. So I suggest it be removed from the page.

I don't see that statement being accepted in the OP? Also that makes no sense for it to be actually as hot as the sun wtf.
It's minor to this topic in the grand scheme of things, but the Databook claimed that Amaterasu is as hot as the sun. Now the surface of the sun has a temperature of 10,000 degrees F (5810.928K/5537.778°C), which isn't really all that far off from the figures above, making it all somewhat consistent. Again, it's not terribly relevant, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

The closes thing there to the surface of the sun is vaporizing steel which is like 3700 C, which is not even close to the suns 5500 C.

The closes thing there to the surface of the sun is vaporizing steel which is like 3700 C, which is not even close to the suns 5500 C.
Guarantee you the people who want the feat are gonna say "that just means it has a higher melting point than their real life counterparts" which requires even more proof than the original claim. Amaterasu has no feats near the sun, it's just better than regular fire. I'd even argue that there are better burning feats with regular fire than amaterasu.

The whole point is that any conventional material and even unconvientional stuff like fire burn from it.
That simply means it's stronger than average flames, but to say it burns everything is literally no limit fallacy, you can spin it around the way you want but if it can burn everything that would imply it can burn conceptual things as well.

Last edited:
Also if it was as hot as the sun then that would be catastrophic to literally everything around it, but it takes like 500 years to burn a forest.
Not too far off. You can't say hyperbole when the whole point of the flame is to burn everything
Bruh that is both a no limits fallacy and hyperbole.

That simply means it's stronger than average flames, but to say it burns everything is literally a no limit fallacy, you can spin it around the way you want but if it can burn everything that would imply conceptual things.
they are not trying to say it can burn everything, but as that's the point of Amaterasu, it's okay to say it's far above the flames that reach 3700°C, and while normally that'd just be higher than 3700°C, if it's stated to burn as hot as the sun that should be used as it's far above 3700°C

Kelvin is linear according to what I could find, so 5775K is only 1.45 times higher than 3973K.

The point of this thread isn't even to accept Amaterasu as the temperature of the surface of the sun, it's for it to not be in the hyperbole page when it's accepted here, which I completely agree with

Last edited:
It's pretty much simple to understand.

It's hotter than the Surface of the sun. Not the core.
Yeah, no

Although I do agree to an extent, there’s nothing at all that says the surface. Thats just hiding inconsistency.

That’s like saying a person has a statement of absolute zero ice and you lowball it to “-50 degrees” because they have no feats justifying absolute zero.

Yeah, no

Although I do agree to an extent, there’s nothing at all that says the surface. Thats just hiding inconsistency.

That’s like saying a person has a statement of absolute zero ice and you lowball it to “-50 degrees” because they have no feats justifying absolute zero.
We definitely can't say it's as hot as the Sun's core. So where would that leave us? It's surface.

Either way the thread is about removing it from the hyperbole page, which I agree with.

We definitely can't say it's as hot as the Sun's core. So where would that leave us? It's surface.
You can’t because of personal reasons, not because of proof.

You’re just saying “I don’t believe it’s actually as hot as the main part of the sun, so I’ll just lowball it to a more believable temperature which has no proof at all to be referring to that portion”.

This is like someone saying “he hits with the force of an explosion” then you say “the shockwave on the outside”.

You can't call every feat that is better an outlier because the feat in question is trash lol. That just means it never did what it claimed to begin with making that an outlier.
I wasn't really saying that, though I understand what you mean and my comment doesn't quite make sense

Yeah, no

Thats literally the freaking opposite
Baseline assumption is the surface of the sun
Absolute Zero is absolute zero there is no ambiguous absolute zero

Thats literally the freaking opposite
Baseline assumption is the surface of the sun
Absolute Zero is absolute zero there is no ambiguous absolute zero
If someone destroyed the sun, we don't say "the surface of the sun".

The definition of the sun is
the star around which the earth orbits.

If it was the surface of the sun, they would say "the surface of the sun".

You can’t because of personal reasons, not because of proof.

You’re just saying “I don’t believe it’s actually as hot as the main part of the sun, so I’ll just lowball it to a more believable temperature which has no proof at all to be referring to that portion”.
I get what you're saying but to set it straight. I'm saying it's more consistent for Amaterasu to be around Surface temp as opposed to Core temp.

I remember watching a vid about more than a year ago of stainless steel being dropped in 2400° F and it wasn't deformed until about an hour later. Which the likes of Boro with his Lava style easily did in a single sec or so.

I get what you're saying but to set it straight. I'm saying it's more consistent for Amaterasu to be around Surface temp as opposed to Core temp.

I remember watching a vid about more than a year ago of stainless steel being dropped in 2400° F and it wasn't deformed until about an hour later. Which the likes of Boro with his Lava style easily did in a single sec or so.
It is more consistent yes, I agree wholeheartedly, but that doesn't mean that's what the statement is saying.

The scaling would just be extremely unquantifiably higher than the highest feat in the verse for heat, not lowballing a statement because the lowballed result is consistent with everything else.

If someone destroyed the sun, we don't say "the surface of the sun".

The definition of the sun is

If it was the surface of the sun, they would say "the surface of the sun".
Now you are doing destruction another false equivalence
guess what the entire sun doesn't have a consistent temperature unlike the entire sun having a single GBE value

Now you are doing destruction another false equivalence
guess what the entire sun doesn't have a consistent temperature unlike the entire sun having a single GBE value
What?

You're just dodging atp, the comparison is good, but because it's a different feat it's a false equivalence?

Anyways, @Kin201 call staff that are able to edit locked profiles to change it

What?

You're just dodging atp, the comparison is good, but because it's a different feat it's a false equivalence?

Anyways, @Kin201 call staff that are able to edit locked profiles to change it
The sun itself is a collection of different areas with different heats when someone says the sun they do not mean one area over another. The sun also has a single GBE value unlike its heat values.

Its a complete false equivalence

Also VSbattles usually uses the lowest assumption which would be the surface

Idk why amaterasu gets to be as hot as the sun when it has consistently worse showings than any lava style jutsu, but the CRT is done and I don't really care that much lol.

The scaling would just be extremely unquantifiably higher than the highest feat in the verse for heat, not lowballing a statement because the lowballed result is consistent with everything else.
Question, don't we do that with speed all the time? Like, we have 2 feats around mach 10, then a 3rd one with a "crossed x distance instantly" statement where the low-ball is 1-3 seconds and the result is mach 12 or something like that, the high-ball would be mach 120 and thus an outlier but the low-ball is better than (but still consistent with) the other feats so we use it.

Okay but is it comparable to the sun?
Yes, sometimes it can exceed even the temperature of lightning. Vaporizing steel (not bring to a boiling point, two different things.) are only possible with the hottest plasma torches 50 000 °F.

5x hotter than the surface of the sun actually.

Question, don't we do that with speed all the time? Like, we have 2 feats around mach 10, then a 3rd one with a "crossed x distance instantly" statement where the low-ball is 1-3 seconds and the result is mach 12 or something like that, the high-ball would be mach 120 and thus an outlier but the low-ball is better than (but still consistent with) the other feats so we use it.
Nope, we will accept the high end and call it an outlier.
Heck, it’s against the rules to downplay/wank calcs for desirable results

Yeah, no

Yeah, no to the no.

"As hot as the sun" is a very common phrase in fiction, and I have never ever seen anyone assume that its referring to the core without the statement or the context making note that being the case. It's just common sense to assume that it's the surface. Most people don't even know how hot the core is.

Your example doesn't work because absolute zero is a specific temperature, while the sun has variable temperatures depending on how deep into its layers you are. And on this site, we ALWAYS go for the safest low ends unless otherwise specified by the feat/statement/context, which is definitely not the case for a generic statement like this.

The fact that it's more consistent with the feats is just icing on the cake.
I wasn't trying to "lowball to hide an inconsistency", I was making the safest and most logical assumption; an assumption that also happened to be perfectly consistent with the other showings. It's really that simple. Adding extra random assumptions to try and create an inconsistency that isn't there isn't something I'll ever get behind.

Nope, we will accept the high end and call it an outlier.
Heck, it’s against the rules to downplay/wank calcs for desirable results
It's not downplay, it's just going for the consistent result when there isn't a clear answer, "instantly" is used as 1s more times than it's used as 0,1s, here with the sun thing it's the same, there is no reason to use the high-end just to say "it's an outlier", we rarely use the high-end of anything unless there is some good amount of context supporting it.

Yes, sometimes it can exceed even the temperature of lightning. Vaporizing steel (not bring to a boiling point, two different things.) are only possible with the hottest plasma torches 50 000 °F.

5x hotter than the surface of the sun actually.
I see. Cool new knowledge into my brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back