• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto: Tempest Will Lose His Mind When He Sees This Amaterasu Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

UchihaSlayer96

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator

Hello everyone!​

I've been teasing that I wanted to revise Amaterasu for months now, and well.......here we are. The moment of truth!
So without further ado........

What is Amaterasu and how does it work?

Amaterasu is a Mangekyō Sharingan Jutsu that allows the user to conjure black flames at the focal point of their gaze. The caster only needs to visually perceive their target, and the flames will simply spawn right on target. The black flames will never extinguish until they have reduced their target to ash, even other flames. The flames won't even die out after being completely submerged in water.

How can we accurately rate it?

The main goal of this CRT is to accurately rate Amaterasu based on its showings. Currently, this is how it's treated on the profiles:

Note: The exact strength of Amaterasu is unknown as it has been portrayed inconsistently, but it can technically harm much stronger characters. As such, claims that it can overtax the durability of comparable characters in versus threads could be considered valid.

So, let's examine all of Amaterasu's relevant showings in order to determine if it's really inconsistent.

The feats:

Which brings me to my next point.........

The proposal:

I hope all of this has managed to sway your mind on Amaterasu being portrayed inconsistently. I believe it has some of the best portrayals in the series, in fact, and has only failed to claim certain victims simply due to PIS or certain technicalities. I believe it's consistently portrayed as significantly above it's user's paygrade, and as such I believe it should be treated as partial or full on Durability Negation via heat/fire damage. The alternative would seemingly be giving it 6-C or 6-A+ ratings for the Gyūki and Juubi feats respectively, but I don't believe that fits all the cases I've presented quite as well as Durability Negation.

Amaterasu should also qualify for Non-Physical Interaction due to its ability to burn and destroy flames.

So all in all, I believe the justification for Amaterasu on the P&A sections of Sasuke Uchiha (Part II), Sasuke Uchiha (New Era), and Itachi Uchiha should look something like this:

• Fire Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction with Amaterasu (The user spawns inextinguishable black flames on their target as long as it's in their line of sight. The flames give off incredible heat that's capable of harming much stronger opponents, and will continue to burn until their target is turned to ash, even when completely submerged in water. The flames are also capable of burning other flames)
On their AP section they should get:

Addressing the "Anti-Feats"

Here I'll be debunking the most contentious aspect about Amaterasu, other character "tanking" it. Nobody has actually withstood Amaterasu head on without some caveat making the feat invalid for said character. I'll also attempt to clear up a certain misconception about how it functions at the end. I'll go over every single example and properly address it here, hopefully putting them all to rest.

- Sasuke:

• Sasuke never withstood Itachi's Amaterasu. It overpowered his Katon quite easily, and once it made contact with his wing it started to burn him, and he was forced to quickly use the Body Replacement Technique in order to escape with his life. (Let's also not forget that Itachi turned it off almost immediately, because.....y'know, he didn't actually want to kill Sasuke for obvious reasons)
- Karin:

- Random Samurai dude:

• This situation is somewhat similar to Karin's, in the sense that the guy was not caught aflame for a significant period of time. Additionally, only his armor was caught on fire, not even his own body. This makes things even more murky, because we have no way of knowing what that armor's made of or how durable it is, as far as I am aware. The Samurai was hit with Amaterasu at the end of chapter 463, but he was rescued very quickly a few pages later in the same scene during the first few pages of chapter 464, so I just don't see how this is a relevant anti-feat in all honesty. The whole sequence took place during a fight involving two of the fastest characters in the series upto that point, so it definitely did not take as long as it may seem for Temari and Kankuro to rescue him.
- The Fourth Raikage:

• There's many factors at play here that most people tend to ignore. First of all, the Raikage is an especially durable individual known for his tough constitution. He also has insane pain tolerance, given the fact that he did not even flinch when he cut off his own arm. All this is to say that someone with such superhuman durability and pain tolerance withstanding the heat of the flames is not such a ridiculous prospect. Also, it should be noted that when he was caught with Amaterasu he had his Raiton Armor covering his body and skin, and as far as I am aware Raiton chakra is not necessarily flammable. This is very relevant because if you look carefully at the bottom right panel here, you'll notice that the flames only started to spread over his arm once he chopped it off and it was no longer protected by the Raiton Armor. Chakra Cloaks in general have shown great tolerance towards flames, as we've repeatedly seen with Naruto's cloaks, so that could possibly be why. Chakra might just not be flammable. It should also be noted that everyone there treated the Raikage's "injury" (as per Gaara's words) very seriously, including the Raikage himself who went as far as to chop off his own arm to prevent the flames from spreading later on (because he obviously can't keep that Chakra Mode active forever), so it was clearly a hopeless case for that arm. With that being said, he still withstood the heat given off by Amaterasu for an decent period of time, so he should get Resistance to Extreme Heat.

- Obito:

• Obito is probably the only legitimate example of someone truly tanking Amaterasu, but as we all know this was solely due to his immunity towards Ninjutsu. He should still be awared Resistance to Extreme Heat though, because while he's immune to the Jutsu itself, that doesn't necessarily apply to the passive physical phenomenon surrounding it such as the heat it gives off. For example, if someone threw a Water Jutsu at him, he will be completely unharmed, but he'll still get wet.
- Madara:

• Madara did not really tank Amaterasu, he absorbed it as Naruto pointed out. If you look closely, you'll notice that the initial amount of Amaterasu that was conjured on Madara is much more than the amount of flames we see after Madara undresses (Why did he undress then? This answer may not satisfy everyone, but let's face it, it was solely so he can show Hashirama how he took his cells, and for the audience to get a visual representation of him attaining Sage Mode). Similarly to the Raikage, though for a shorter period of time, Madara was also unbothered by the heat produced by the black flames, so he should also get Resistance to Extreme Heat.

- Kaguya:

• This is the exact same situation as Madara, she simply absorbed it. Nothing else to say, really. She was also completely unfazed by the heat, so so she should also get Resistance to Extreme Heat.
- Naruto:

• Naruto provides us with another example of a chakra cloak being used to momentarily defend against the technique. Here, Naruto simply covers his arm in his Kyuubi chakra cloak, and then quickly detaches it in order to save himself. He did not physically tank it for any meaningful period of time, like all the others on this list. Still, like all the previous examples, his CHAKRA CLOAK'S Fire Resistance should be changed to Resistance to Extreme Heat because you logically shouldn't get resistance to Fire by putting something that's likely inflammable between yourself and the fire. The heat is fair game, though.
- Jigen:

Finally, I'd like to clear up and address a minor point that was brought up before on a few VS threads in the past about Amaterasu being a "projectile", It's not. It quite blatantly spawns at the focal point of the user's gaze. I'll prove why this is consistent with every instance of Amaterasu being avoided.

• Here, Amaterasu is not traveling to Sasuke, but rather Sasuke is outrunning Itachi's vision. Itachi is sick, exhausted, and nearly blind at this point, so it makes sense for the much fresher Sasuke to be able to outrun him briefly. (It's also possible that Itachi was just acting here, and didn't immediately burn Sasuke since he doesn't want to kill him, but still pressured him with his head movement to keep up the act)
  • Here, the Raikage simply went FTE for Sasuke in order to avoid Amaterasu at the last second, essentially blitzing him. The flames then spawned on the Samurai who was behind the Raikage because that's what was on the focal point of Sasuke's vision now that the Raikage was no longer there.
  • Here, Obito sees Amaterasu coming by seeing the chakra getting built up in Sasuke's eye, then puts up a TSO shield at the last second in order to block Sasuke's line of sight. This was fascilitated by Obito being much faster than Sasuke, and having the perks of the Sharingan himself.
  • Here, Borushiki was able to, in a similar manner to Obito, see the chakra getting built up via his Byakugan and block Sasuke's line of sight with a clone.
So what did we learn here? Amaterasu can only be avoided if you're much faster than the caster, if you can predict when it'll come through seeing the chakra getting built up in the user's eye via a Dojutsu, or a combination of both. It can't, however, be dodged like a standard projectile.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that about does it. I know this is a touchy subject for some, and has been quite controversial over the years, so hopefully we can reach an accurate, amicable, and satisfactory conclusion with this CRT regarding how we should handle Amaterasu.

Last edited:
This seems reasonable and well put together to me.

EDIT: I'm not sure about certain people like base Naruto getting "Resistance to Extreme Heat." That's like saying that the fodder Samurai is extremely resistant to heat too because he didn't die while the Amaterasu was burning away on his armor.

I'm not sure about certain people like base Naruto getting "Resistance to Extreme Heat." That's like saying that the fodder Samurai is extremely resistant to heat too because he didn't die while the
Oh apologies for not specifying, but I meant his chakra cloak specifically should get it. So instead of resistance to fire it should be resistance to heat.

Hm.

Well I'm surprised it didn't have Durability Negation already, so I agree with that. The instantaneous portion made sense, but there's still a good amount of scenes where people notice the jutsu before it spawns on them (Danzo, HachibiBee, etc.), so I'm neutral on that.
I'm not sure about certain people like base Naruto getting "Resistance to Extreme Heat." That's like saying that the fodder Samurai is extremely resistant to heat too because he didn't die while the Amaterasu was burning away on his armor.
Oh apologies for not specifying, but I meant his chakra cloak specifically should get it. So instead of resistance to fire it should be resistance to heat.
I feel like Amaterasu should have a weakness to burning chakra infused items instead of giving them resistances.
Couldn't burn through Ay's chakra armor.
Couldn't burn through Gaara's chakra infused sand.
Couldn't burn through Naruto's chakra cloak.
Couldn't burn through Bee's chakra limbs (albiet it harmed him).

I can give Naruto's cloak the benefit of the doubt since he could take Madara and Obito's fire, and Bee's chakra limbs are like an amped version of the chakra arms, but that still leaves 2 others. I don't fully disagree, but I'm neutral on it tbh.

Dura Neg: Clear
Instant: Neutral, leaning towards agreeing
Resistances: Neutral

I agree with the op.

I always thought it got stronger as the user got stronger? Really wouldn’t make sense to use a 6-C technique on someone thousands times stronger than it. Well ig dura negation solves that.

I agree everything here although I'm a little indifferent about NPI. This is like Kino'mon's Fire-Fox Style's interaction with flames, it's not really NPI as much as it very potent fire Manipulation.

Fire Manipulation and durability negation (Can completely overpower fire and snuff flames out.)

Hm.

Well I'm surprised it didn't have Durability Negation already, so I agree with that.
Yay! Glad to hear it, and thanks for the evaluation.
The instantaneous portion made sense, but there's still a good amount of scenes where people notice the jutsu before it spawns on them (Danzo, HachibiBee, etc.), so I'm neutral on that.
I know you're neutral, so I could just not explain my point of view and call it a day, but I really do want this to get accepted unanimously with no room for doubt (or at least as much as possible), so I'll try my best to address your concerns.

- Danzo: I believe you're referring to this, right? I'm not really sure I see any indication of him reacting to Amaterasu itself because he got hit with it anyway and "died". I believe the panel where he "notices" it is more so him reacting to Sasuke building up the technique, which is pretty obvious given his eyes start to bleed profusely. Danzo also has a bunch of Sharingan implanted, so he can probably see the chakra getting built up in Sasuke's eye as well, so I believe it's more so Danzo reacting to Sasuke rather than Amaterasu.

- HachiBee: I believe you're referring to this. I don't think this is Bee noticing it coming at him, I believe this shot is actually from Sasuke's PoV and we're pretty much seeing things from his eyes. Sasuke is pretty much focusing his gaze on Bee (which explains the "zooming"), then it spawns on good ol' Bee.
I feel like Amaterasu should have a weakness to burning chakra infused items instead of giving them resistances.
Couldn't burn through Ay's chakra armor.
Couldn't burn through Gaara's chakra infused sand.
Couldn't burn through Naruto's chakra cloak.
Couldn't burn through Bee's chakra limbs (albiet it harmed him).
Yeah, this is true, but I already covered that. I'm not trying to give those peeps Resistance to Fire/Burning, but rather the extreme heat given off by Amaterasu.
Remember, Burning is an irreversible chemical reaction, while Heating is a reversible change in temperature. The chakra cloaks/limbs/infused sand are not flammable, but that doesn't necessarily give them resistance to the heat itself.

EDIT: I'm not sure about certain people like base Naruto getting "Resistance to Extreme Heat." That's like saying that the fodder Samurai is extremely resistant to heat too because he didn't die while the Amaterasu was burning away on his armor.
I added the chakra cloak being the only thing that'll receive the heat resistance in the OP, so hopefully that covers everything.

I agree everything here although I'm a little indifferent about NPI. This is like Kino'mon's Fire-Fox Style's interaction with flames, it's not really NPI as much as it very potent fire Manipulation.

Fire Manipulation and durability negation (Can completely overpower fire and snuff flames out.)
This makes sense, but I think a notable difference is that Kino'mon's Fire-Fox Style doesn't directly touch the flames, right? Amaterasu actually physically burns the flames from what we saw. Would that not award some form of NPI?

Also I just noticed that Zoro has NPI for Fire-Fox Style, so it's weird that Kine'mon doesn't as well.

Finally, I added an extra feat of Sasuke instantly burning a large metal blade in the "Feats" section in case anybody wants to check it out. Credit to @Slacjow for finding it.

Last edited:
Disagree on the durability negation part. Without a known durability circumventing mechanism for how it works, we can't say that it would be able to affect things vastly above the paygrade of what it was shown to affect (a 3-A character for example). It can still be ranked as a special technique above the users regular jutsu capable of overcoming durability up to the degree it has shown, though.
As for the non-physical interaction part: Are we sure this is more than just normal fire extinguishing fire stuff?

Without a known durability circumventing mechanism for how it works, we can't say that it would be able to affect things vastly above the paygrade of what it was shown to affect (a 3-A character for example).
Multiple characters have dura negation without it being at something like a 3-A level.
Are we sure this is more than just normal fire extinguishing fire stuff?
It is stated to burn the flame.

Multiple characters have dura negation without it being at something like a 3-A level.
Other pages have been wrong before or can be right but have different circumstances than this. So that isn't a very strong argument.

Durability Negation is the ability to "damage the target, regardless of its durability."
That why a sharp blade, despite being more effective at damaging stuff than a blunt weapon, wouldn't be durability negation. It does damage above the user's paygrade, but it doesn't ignore durability.
I see no evidence that this ignores durability, instead of just being able to damage characters of higher power than the regular techniques, i.e. like a sharp blade.

It is stated to burn the flame.
I guess that's probably fine then?

Disagree on the durability negation part. Without a known durability circumventing mechanism for how it works, we can't say that it would be able to affect things vastly above the paygrade of what it was shown to affect (a 3-A character for example). It can still be ranked as a special technique above the users regular jutsu capable of overcoming durability up to the degree it has shown, though.
I was under the impression that extreme heat can negate durability here, regardless of a character's normal AP being at a certain level. Yamamoto's Bankai from Bleach comes to mind.
Isn't that why we give characters heat resistance in the first place? If it were something that can be overcome with sheer durability, wouldn't said resistances be kinda moot?
As for the non-physical interaction part: Are we sure this is more than just normal fire extinguishing fire stuff?
Not sure, but we see it burning the fire, and it's also stated iirc.

I was under the impression that extreme heat can negate durability here, regardless of a character's normal AP being at a certain level. Yamamoto's Bankai from Bleach comes to mind.
Isn't that why we give characters heat resistance in the first place? If it were something that can be overcome with sheer durability, wouldn't said resistances be kinda moot?
Resistance can be to all kind of stuff. I know characters with resistance to being cut. That just means that their durability against cutting is higher than their durability in general.
Similarly not every character that could survive a fire attack is resistant to fire. Only if you are more resistant to fire, than you are resistant to normal attacks, would you be considered as fire-resistant. That's why not every pokemon is fire resistant.
There were talks about giving heat-based attacks some leeway so that heat-based attacks could work on characters without feats against heat-based attacks if the tier difference isn't too large, but even if those would get accepted it wouldn't be full on durability negation.

Last edited:
So, Amaterasu being able to damage a 5-C character while the user is 7-A/High 7-A is still not enough to arrant a dura negation?

So, Amaterasu being able to damage a 5-C character while the user is 7-A/High 7-A is still not enough to arrant a dura negation?
It's enough to warrant it overcoming durability up to a 5-C level. Beyond that? Nah.

Amaterasu isn't 5-C and this I'm sure. I'm against giving Amaterasu a Tier, makes no sense.

Just use limited durability negation and specify that it can harm characters up to moon level
Otherwise i agree with this it's pretty well made

Just give it something like "Can overcome durability up to Tier 5-C" or smth to avoid NLF, Amaterasu isn't like TSB or Jinton which is clear on how those two work.
As of Extreme Heat negating durability, I don't know.

So to sum up, it seems like everyone agrees with the OP in general, but we now need to figure out whether Amaterasu is straight up durability negation or just give it an AP rating up to its highest showing (so 6-A+/5-C+).

I'm still unsure that giving it an AP rating makes the most sense, because a tier 7 character like Sasuke or Itachi having enough chakra to produce tier 6/5 AP seems ridiculous to me quite frankly, but DT is more knowledgeable than me when it comes to these things, so I'm unsure of what we should do at this point.

However, the biggest takeaway here for me is that I need to really Figure out how to do these spoiler things for my own threads to avoid massive walls of text Lmao.
Highlight anything in a text then hit reply, there you will see the "code" for all magical structures.

Disagree on the durability negation part. Without a known durability circumventing mechanism for how it works, we can't say that it would be able to affect things vastly above the paygrade of what it was shown to affect
None of what you said Invalidates it being Durability Negation, nearly every single series on the wiki's Durability negation is within the context of it's own Fictional setting.

Even if the argument is that it can hurt only up to Moon level characters that would still be Durability negation because in the context of the story the characters are circumventing the need to be comparable to that person to do damage.

It's why we have terms like No Limits Fallacy to avoid problems like this.

Amaterasu isn't 5-C and this I'm sure. I'm against giving Amaterasu a Tier, makes no sense.
Remember, I'm not saying it's 5-C brute force.
Just use limited durability negation and specify that it can harm characters up to moon level
That would be ok with me, I think.

So to sum up, it seems like everyone agrees with the OP in general, but we now need to figure out whether Amaterasu is straight up durability negation or just give it an AP rating up to its highest showing (so 6-A+/5-C+).

I'm still unsure that giving it an AP rating makes the most sense, because a tier 7 character like Sasuke or Itachi having enough chakra to produce tier 6/5 AP seems ridiculous to me quite frankly, but DT is more knowledgeable than me when it comes to these things, so I'm unsure of what we should do at this point.
Could this work instead of DN ? I'm not against DN

None of what you said Invalidates it being Durability Negation, nearly every single series on the wiki's Durability negation is within the context of it's own Fictional setting.

Even if the argument is that it can hurt only up to Moon level characters that would still be Durability negation because in the context of the story the characters are circumventing the need to be comparable to that person to do damage.

It's why we have terms like No Limits Fallacy to avoid problems like this.
The standard assumption on durability negating is that it circumvents everything on your dimensional level, not that it can't hurt anything above its showings. That's the entire point of having something be an ability that circumvents durability. If we can't say with certainty that it will circumvent durability, and hence overcome it even on levels beyond its showings, then it isn't durability negation.
Since AP doesn't necessarily imply having energy on the level of AP you have, there would be no difference between AP and what you make out to be durability negation otherwise.

But as said, I'm ok with listing it as limited durability negation up to whatever feats it has.

The standard assumption on durability negating is that it circumvents everything on your dimensional level, not that it can't hurt anything above its showings.
This is not True, Otherwise, we wouldn't need to have things like "Limit" Durability Negation in the first place.

"A good example of ignoring the strength would be a laser, which at negligible attack potency, easily cuts through thick steel sheets. " ~ Our own Durability Negation page.

Just because this laser can cut through steel doesn't mean it's going to be able to cut through everything within its own Dimensional level.

This is while also ignoring the dozens of different types of durability negation we list including ones based purely on Mind control that can force the user to kill themselves.

Durability Negation is certainly contextual

But as said, I'm ok with listing it as limited durability negation up to whatever feats it has.
I don't have an issue with this either because it's literally the same thing as saying this is Durability negation up until a certain level.

I am okay with Limited Durability Negation, if it's more accurate and covers all of our bases.

So, I suppose Itachi and Sasuke would get:

- Certain characters will also receive Resistance to Extreme Heat as I've outlined in the OP, those characters are:

Finally, I'd like to propose a minor revision to Itachi and Sasuke's P&A section while we're at it. Should we separate their Mangekyo Sharingan abilities in a different tabber like I did here? I personally think it'll make the profiles look a lot nicer since they have so many abilities, but I'll wait for more input on that.

Yeah, I think this about sums up every thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back