• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Mew and Arceus

Ah I think I remember that argument now.

I'm pretty sure it was debunked though when it was proven that the Creation and Lake trios were actual parts of Arceus instead of just creations.

PaChi2 said:
I think it was "we dont assume that the creator has the abilities of their creation". Or something like that.
This is true, but if a character A is a part/aspect of character B, then it follows that character B has character A's powers.

Btw, regarding Arceus, I'd wait some time before editing the profile.

Just to give time for anyone to disagree.

I dont want "Arceus downgrade #4556" to be a thing.

And out of curiosity, can we have a list of the pokémon whose powers mew does not have?

Because I'd argue against Mew in base having Necrozma's, Victini's, Shedinja's, Porygon's and a bunch of other's abilities.

Necrozma and Porygon of course. Shedinja doesn't have unique moves (mind you, I said moves, not abilities). Same with Victini, as Ray can use its V-Create.

Eternatus, Darkrai and Cresselia. The former is not native to Earth, the latter two are out of Mew's paygrade.

The real cal howard said:
Necrozma and Porygon of course. Shedinja doesn't have unique moves (mind you, I said moves, not abilities). Same with Victini, as Ray can use its V-Create.
Do we really consider event moves to be legit?

Wait, why Darkrai and Cresselia honestly? While they are god tiers, they're the only god tiers who don't predate Mew or originate from outside the pokemon world.

Well idk about Lunar Dance, but Dark Void is a move with 4-D potency. I'd say it's a stretch to assume that Mew can use that.

GyroNutz said:
It explicitly states that Mew can use every move, and it's been shown to learn almost every move in games (the rest can be assumed to be omitted due to game mechanics as per the op). Conversely Mew has never been shown to have every ability, or any other "ability" aside from Synchronize, and it having every Pokemon's ability is an assumption based on what it says about genetic material. Hell, Mewtwo is a literal clone of Mew, and none of its forms share Mew's ability in-game.
That being said, I agree with the OP.
But the limitation is being placed based on their physicality, right?

We know they possess all the DNA of all Pokemon but don't have their abilities (Even though they would originate from Mew) because of Physicality?

Like I said, physically, Mew can't use a lot of moves, even though it can, physicality obviously a limit for Mew.

DNA doesn't automatically give you someone else's abilities. Mew is getting attacks because it has statements for them. It has no statements or other evidence for abilities or physiological traits.

Blahblah9755 said:
DNA doesn't automatically give you someone else's abilities. Mew is getting attacks because it has statements for them. It has no statements or other evidence for abilities or physiological traits.
The first declaration says ""Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques", that's why I said it

Blahblah9755 said:
Well, we know it would have those traits because it can use all moves, moves of which it would have no physical way of performing as it lacks those physical traits.

The same logic should apply.

Udlmaster said:
But the limitation is being placed based on their physicality, right?

We know they possess all the DNA of all Pokemon but don't have their abilities (Even though they would originate from Mew) because of Physicality?

Like I said, physically, Mew can't use a lot of moves, even though it can, physicality obviously a limit for Mew.
We're not assuming that Mew has all moves because it has the same genetic codes as all Pokemon; this is something that is explicitly stated. We can't assume the same applies for abilities.

@ProfessorKukui all that needs to be done is to apply this to Mew and Arceus. Although Cal and PaChi wanted to wait for more agreement on this being applied to Arceus.

It's not even that controversial of an addition, since the only thing Arceus gets from this that is on a 4-D scale is Darkrai's Dark Void.

why would the multiversal 4D god not be able to use things on a 4D scale

are you saying that the attacks arc hasn't shown just wouldn't be able to hurt people comparable to him?

Iirc we don't assume that a 4-D being's powers are all 4-D, god or otherwise.

They shouldnt need to be shown to be used on a 4-D scale if they orignate from a 4-D being. They were Arceus's powers prior to them being shared with all pokemon in the multiverse. That means they were originally 4-D.

Plus, even the CT have done 4-D stuff using regular non-signature moves.

Mirage only has abilities up to Gen 3 (sans my disagreement but whatev). So Mew would be the one whos better.

Which is funny since Mirage Mew is complete fodder compared to Mirage Mewtwo lol.

If everything is a part of Arceus, what are the plates and why can Arceus lose them?

This is a collection of engravings from ancient Plates found in Sinnoh. "The Original One breathed alone before the universe came." "When the universe was created, its shards became this Plate.""The power of defeated giants infuses this Plate." "Two beings of time and space set free from the Original One." "Three beings were born to bind time and space." "Two make matter, and three make spirit, shaping the world." "The powers of Plates are shared among Pokémon." "The rightful bearer of a Plate draws from the Plate it holds."

Maybe that can "answer your question"

Back