• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Record Of Ragnarok Discussion Thread #1

How was it confirmed?

Prose Edda is written by a completely different author. It was written by old norse people from the 13th century. It wasn't even really mentioned in the story. Even if it was or had things based off it doesn't really make it canon. The bible is mentioned in a lot of fictional verses has things based off it but doesn't mean its canon to them. Plus, if in the Prose Edda it's mentioned that the gauntlets are to protect Thor and is treated as such, whereas RoR say they are not, it would be a major difference in the story.

Unless the author of RoR owns the rights to Prose Edda and confirms it himself it is canon, then it wouldn't be.

That reasoning is a bit unfounded. We'd actually need concrete feats and scans of those events happening aside from just wording. Some characters can be exaggerating. Possibly is a better option. Thank you for keeping it short though but let's not put in mythological feats so casually in unless we're absolutely sure there's merit.

It wasn't really a feat, it was just a statement of how powerful Thor and his hammer are and that he has the capabilites to Shatter Earth. If he did shatter Earth, I don't think ragnarok would of happened lol. I understand, however, there is nothing really saying he couldn't, plus this statement came from the author.

I guess the only way we would get these types of feats if we get a side story for Thor like Lu bu did. Speaking of which, Lu Bu has a decent lifting strength in it.

@Power

We see explicit reference to the Prose Edda in Chapter 4, and Zeus confirms the validity of its existence in-verse and states there's only a slight misunderstanding in it about the function of Jarngreipr. That means the legends are written about actual, extant beings, and we know for a fact Thor slew Jormangundr in RoR. Without Zeus stating the tale of the world serpent is incorrect, there's actual very little reason to dismiss it out of hand

Yeah this is actually good. Usually Narration Statements are much much better than someone saying "He could destroy the world" with that. Easily much more reliable.

I'm in support of this feat.

@Xulrev

Like I said being referenced doesn't make it canon. It's a completely different work of fiction, written by a differnet author that is unrelated to RoR. All Zeus says is that humans misunderstood the real reason why Thor had the gauntlets. This doesn't mean it automatically relates to Prose Edda, just inverse legends.

Many forms of fiction reference or use the same feats from the original source material of the myth but that doesn't make it canon.

It's not ramming in myths when it is explicitly mentioned by name, and confirmed canon. It's not a feat from another verse when the mythological writing called the Prose Edda exists within the world of RoR

iirc Fiamma from Index was said to have all of the powers in the Bible or something and a thread was made to add them to his profile but it was denied I think

Someone is explicitly said to possess all the powers of a specific sort and it was denied?

That's absurd, the lengths some people go to stick their heads in the sand

I do believe it was more specifically all the powers of the right hand, like stuff done with the Right Hand in the bible. But the differences between versions not to mention the fact of how fractured catholicism is as a whole didn't settle a hard "line" of what could or couldn't be used. Protestants, Anglicans, Christians, etc,. all exist in index unlike most japanese fiction where the Church is an unified, sometimes vaguely explained body.

But I do find it dumb not to make use of the Prose Edda when it is a literal thing in universe quite directly stated by name and considered "pretty accurate except for one detail".

The problem with using Prose Edda is that it was written by a completely author for a different fiction verse. While both RoR and Prose Edda share a similar concept with the gauntlets, it doesn't make them canon to each other. While it is mentioned, it doesn't automatically related to the Prose Edda of myth. It would relate to the Prose Edda inverse. Also it is stated by RoR that in the Prose Edda that Thor is able to shatter Earth, whereas from my reseach reading it, I couldn't find the statement in it. I read it from two sources (Here and here). It also contradicts the the notion of Thor's gauntlet's protectiong him, which it treats as fact.

Based on the fact it:

- Written by a different author for a different fiction verse, in different times (13th Century and 2019)

- References a statement that isn't found in it (My research, I couldn't find but it might still be in there)

- Contradicts the notion of Thor's gauntlet's protection him.

It shouldn't be considered usable.

>Calls norse mythology a fiction verse

wat

Not to mention, you are completely and totally aware that "destroying earth" is not how such a thing would be written down in such an old book with an immensely different world view completely detached from reality and a different structure writing stuff, right? Without mentioning Thor is that same guy that emptied the oceans, lifted some of Jormungandr and somehow pushed the personification of death a little, scaring the dude shitless. Thor has done very ridiculous stuff in his myths.

The third point is not really worth much when the manga itself acknowledges this single bit in the book is wrong.

I'm saying when I read it I couldn't find any form of "destroying Earth" or "shattering Earth" of sorts, we'll for Thor at least. (I'll have to re-read it to make sure I didn't miss anything). I found some Earth and World (referring to the realms) statements for other characters, I'll have to re-read to see if he scales to them.

At this point I think a CRT on the Prose Edda should be made to see if it's a usuably source for scaling, and to the opinions of the moderators.

My point is that Earth as a concept is not a thing, there is the nine worlds, all resting atop the branches of Yggdrasil and the World Serpent coiled around the world. Without any understanding of the mythology in sufficient depth, looking for anything is likely to be fruitless. Unless the site tries to make things as understandable as possible for normal people. This is without bringing up that someone knowledgeable does mention big stars are barely compared to the thumbs or smaller of things like the Aesir, making the world possibly much bigger, but I haven't heard more from him. He really wanted to revise the Norse profiles.

And I mean... far as I understand, Thor is THE God. Utgard-Loki tried to **** with him and ended up creating new valleys, lowering the ocean depth, lifting Jormungandr a little and being able to slightly fight back the very personification of Old Age. And he gets any kind of actual challenge how many times...?

As far as I am aware, he's up there near the top of the metaphorical tower.

Considering Fate makes a very obvious distinction between the myth and how stuff actually is, and Servants are explicitly never on the level of their living selves... Not the best example.

Meanwhile were literally getting Hercules with a different history and so on. Adam. Poseidon. Adamas.

This is clearly a very different history compared to regular myths. That does sadly mean no Heracles lifting the sky feat just yet

@Ciruno

There's not one codified myth for Heracles, however, and we don't have even a passing reference to his Labors as of yet.

Heracles having a different backstory doesn't negate Zeus acknowledging the Prose Edda's existence and ONE singular difference from it

Susano'o

I hope this is NOT the Susano'o who I think it is, but if is really him.. *cough* *cough*

MUST DIE INTENSIFIES

Mikon! No wait that was Amaterasu

@Xulrev

True

But this is imo pretty original and distinct with how he gotbhis powers and godhood. I can debate after some time just not rn

Im not saying ignore all feats

But we should approach feats from myths with caution. Yes theyre good sources. But we cant just make them all canon. But I am in support for the Thor multi continent and Big bang thing. Just not planetary thor rn

Looking back at the respect thread posted, it seems that universal Adam is accepted (based on the mods response). If that is the case, it would change Zeus's second and third to just Uni+. How does everyone feel about that? I have mad changes to the draft profile , but they aren't too hard to change back.

Greist: Wow Big Bro Herc is fighting! He's so awesome.

Brunhilde: **** you, I'm gonna get him ****** and do my best impersonation of an ugly bastard.

In all seriousness though I know she wants to win but her motive is so unclear and confusing here.

I want Jack to win since Hercules is being such a massive ******* hypocrite, and cuz it would piss off Zeus more.

Do you think we will see all 12 labors? And if so, what do you think the abilities are going to be?

So far, the 2 Herc has used seem to grant him air manipulation.

Back