• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Real life animals CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
They lack any actual 9-B feat, their musculature is too weird to accurately assess stuff from size and if you give me a knife I'll give a sperm whale scars too.

I mean, considering that they both are all muscles in their body, I feel like their durability should at least stay as 9-B.

Yet their arms are relatively thin and focus more on grabbing and pulling towards the squid's beak than striking. Unless you can find any actual feats for them, which I doubt considering how barely known they are, I'm sorry but I won't accept Wall level.

Seriously, do you think a giant squid could just shoot its tentacle forward and punch through bricks?

It's a very unconventional animal. I'm not straight-up against 9-B, but I think it's a bit too high without feats. Keep in mind, certain currently 9-B animals will (sooner or later) be downgraded due to the KE removal. Like tigers, or lions, for all I know, bears too.

I understand. Though I feel that downgrading Troodon to just 10-B feels a bit too low considering that they were likely heavily muscled for their size and likely ate juvenile dinosaurs.

I understand. Though I feel that downgrading Troodon to just 10-B feels a bit too low considering that they were likely heavily muscled for their size and likely ate juvenile dinosaurs.
I mean, I could probably eat a baby dinosaur too (assuming mommy is very far away), and "likely heavily muscled" doesn't have a lot of weight, 10-B is already enough of an assumption.

I also agree. Piercing damage in the real world practically ignores durability, especially of the fleshy variety. More kinetic examples should be used for durability.

I mean, we don't really have anything irl that is both made of flesh and above 9-B hopefully, so that might as well be true lol.

Bullets and needles still don't "Negate" the durability of solid steel though.
But it's also true that a bullet with much less kinetic energy than a fist would dent steel, while said fist would instead shatter itself while doing no damage to the steel. I didn't mean to imply that they actually had durability negation, just that in real life durability matters a LOT less when dealing with sharp objects, so, I suppose yes durability "reduction" is more fitting. Not something to put on the profiles either way, just something to consider heavily in scaling and tiering.

True, but that just means the bullet has more precision; Joules/cc or more PSI.

Can we take off 'catching dinosaurs' for Mosasaurus? There's really no evidence I can dig up for such a claim. Should DEFINITELY still be wall for battling car sized turtles, great white sized Cretoxyrhina, other mosasaurs, leaving scars in the skull of other big animals, and even snapping the necks of other mosasaurs. Could link stuff when I get replies.
Size alone as well. 40+ feet, 7 to 8 tons.

Last edited:
Yeah sure, I have no doubts about mosasauri being 9-B, but links would be pretty cool to have anyway.

Maybe we should start a "Durability Reduction" powers and abilities page for characters that wield extremely sharp objects?

I mean, that would extend to basically everyone with a sword, spear, teeth, spikes, bullets, or anything similar in fiction (and reality), so that'd be a massive thing for the wiki- I'm not against it, but consider how this would affect stuff like powerscaling. Though, perhaps it'd be appropriate to treat it like the 7.5x one-shot thing, used solely for VS Debating and not scaling. We basically already do this for bullets, it's just an unwritten rule.

Also, I'm removing weapon mastery from the prehistoric human pages- They definitely had their sort of skill with spears, but I doubt it was even remotely comparable to formal training and armed martial arts we developed.

I mean, that would extend to basically everyone with a sword, spear, teeth, spikes, bullets, or anything similar in fiction (and reality), so that'd be a massive thing for the wiki- I'm not against it, but consider how this would affect stuff like powerscaling. Though, perhaps it'd be appropriate to treat it like the 7.5x one-shot thing, used solely for VS Debating and not scaling. We basically already do this for bullets, it's just an unwritten rule.
Yes, you are correct. It would likely be a too big revision for too limited gain at this point.

Also, I'm removing weapon mastery from the prehistoric human pages- They definitely had their sort of skill with spears, but I doubt it was even remotely comparable to formal training and armed martial arts we developed.
Yes. Agreed.

Yes, you are correct. It would likely be a too big revision for too limited gain at this point.
I think it could be worth doing specifically as a debating thing, not a P&A page. Just like how we note that the one-shot gap is around 7x, we could point out that piercing damage is able to damage stronger enemies greatly, but stress that it shouldn't be used for scaling.

I feel like the Pitbull should be considered 10-A to 9-C considering that there exists certain large breeds of them.

Maybe we should start a "Durability Reduction" powers and abilities page for characters that wield extremely sharp objects?
I'm of the opinion it should just be noted for scaling purposes, that cutting something with a sharp object, even if that sharp object is part of you, in no way means you are stronger than that thing or its durability, not that it's an actual "ability".

But twofold, that if a character's AP is below another's durability by a reasonable margin, that they should still be perfectly capable of cutting that character with a sharp object.

At least, this is how it is in The Real World to a very large degree.

I'm of the opinion it should just be noted for scaling purposes, that cutting something with a sharp object, even if that sharp object is part of you, in no way means you are stronger than that thing or its durability, not that it's an actual "ability".
I think that we may have mentioned that in either the Durability or Attack Potency page, or maybe somewhere else, but if not, we should preferably mention it in some policy page, yes. Information and suggestions are welcome.

So Mosasaurus revision:
AP: Wall level
Large mosasaurs like Prognathodon have been found to have mosasaur skulls in their stomachs, the animal could pierce sea turtle shells, Tylosaurus was able to fracture the skull of a juvenile Mosasaurus with brute force alone, battles between members of the species could pierce bones, large animals can reach 13 meters long with occasional arguments for 17 and weigh 8 tons, comparable to a T.rex
Though Mosasaurus was more built to handle prey like fish than the other two species, they likely did fight and they reached similar proportions, so Mosasaurus should be capable of similar feats. Size alone also puts them above other wall level animals like the car sized turtles and large sharks in their environment.

Okay. Is somebody willing to write a draft text about this for the "Notes" section of our Durability page then?

"Due to the nature of sharp objects, it's entirely possible for a character of a certain durability to be injured by an object propelled with less energy than would normally be required to damage them, provided it is sharp enough."

Something like that? Or, should it more directly say that piercing feats aren't fully reliable for scaling durability and/or attack potency?

Last edited:
I suppose so.

I can create one in our staff forum if the rest of you are fine with it.

I suppose so.

I can create one in our staff forum if the rest of you are fine with it.
This is a good idea. "Higher via piercing damage" is a common rating on character pages, but I don't think everyone really understands the purpose of that, and when it's okay to scale using cutting feats, and when it's probably better to look for a more kinetic or blunt feat.

Anyway, let's get back on track
I am back. I'll respond to Armourchompy in this comment, then crack into monke and deletion.
Been a while, and I know you said you agreed with monke more or less, but what about deletion? Would like to hear your opinion on it before going through with it (or rather, asking someone with the ability to)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back