• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Puck and Roswaal

It was previously accepted in this thread that Roswaal should be equal to base Puck for stalemating him for half a day in fight. However that's incorrect, Tappei has stated that Roswaal would tie with true form Puck for fifth strongest of the introduced at the time characters in a Q&A.

Q: Among the characters that have appeared until now, what would the five people with high battle strength look like when they are lined up in sequence?
A: Reinhard, Ram(with horn), Regulus, Sekhmet, and Puck in his True form tied with Roswaal. Even though they are like dangos under Reinhard but these guys are capable of bringing down the white whale by themselves.
~ Fighting Strength, Additional Q&A​
Additionaly Puck does fight Roswaal while in his true form.

Half a day later, Puck and Roswaal are still fighting. They've ended up in the eastern part of the forest, near the "Meandering Forest". Emilia thinks to herself that soon enough this place will have to be renamed as the "Bristling Burnt Field" with how the fighting is going.
Roswaal: [--I have no intention to stand against you both. I want you to belieeeeeve that.]

Though Roswaal says that, Emilia calls him out saying whether he can say that if he's been fighting for half the day. Puck concurs with that. But Emilia is annoyed and says that Puck as well is at fault here. She's apparently asked Puck to quit many times, but he didn't listen.

Puck and Roswaal are talking to each other both saying it's been a while since they've had to go all out on each other. But to me it doesn't really feel like they're truly going all out to a fight to the death, the way they're speaking to each other is sorta casualish, especially from Ros' side. Puck at one point mentions the clash with Melakuera, to which Roswaal replies,

Roswaal: [A clash between one of the four greats, that would have been the "Day of Red Earth and Sky" seven years ago, riiiiight? It's rumoured that something catastrophic occured in which fellow entities of great mana clashed together in this forest and both the forest and the sky were dyed in red.]

Puck: [Seven years! Has it been that long? Time sure passes by quickly]

What Roswaal is referring to is definitely the clash, and it seems Roswaal had previously already worked out that it was a battle that Melakuera had been involved in and lost, because,

Roswaal: [Since then, the "Arbitrator" Melakuera vanished. It's said that the name of the "Beast of the End" is engraved as the new one of the four greats on the seat that had become vacant. Do you perhaps have aaaaaany knowledge about that?]

Puck: [Ohh, scaryscary. I have no idea about that scary name--]

Emilia: [Puck, didn't you just show him even your starbeast transformation a little while ago….]

Emilia wonders what Roswaal's purpose is, now that he has been shown to know Puck's secret. She thinks that maybe it's something related to Puck becoming one of the four great spirits.
~ Re:Zero Prequel: Bond of Ice​
This is taken from a detailed summary made by /u/Ice_Occultism. Here you can clearly see Emilia making a reference to "Star Beastification", Puck's ability to transform into "the Beast of th End". The narrator also says that Roswaal now know Puck's secret, which is that he is now one of the four great spirits, following him defeating Melakuera the previous spirit of true fire.

Witches and Archbishops
Echidna already scales from Roswaal as Tappei has stated she would be a good match for him. Now for the scaling of the other witches and the archbishops, plus some other extras. From the same Q&A as before.

Strength Ranking among 7 Witches

Envy > Sloth > Pride > Gluttony > Greed = Lust>>>>>>>>>Wrath

Ranking of magical strength

Roswaal > Emilia(At her best) > Echidna > Beatrice > Fortuna

Q. What if Witches and Archbishops fight each other, according to their sins?
A. Greed is Regulus's win(against Echidna), Wrath is Sirius's win(against Minerva), Sloth is Sekhmet's win(against Petelgeuse), Lust is Carmilla's win barely(against Capella), Gluttony is almost stalemate(TL : Don't know it's 3 on 1 or not)
Essentially Echidna downscales from Roswaal, Carmilla directly scales to Echidna, the other witches upscale from both of them, Capella scales off of Carmilla for being a match for her and Sirius and the archbishops of Gluttony should scale from Minerva and Daphne respectively (that last part is kind of iffy).

Note1: Minerva is ranked the lowest for not being able to hurt you with her attacks even when using a weapon, that doesn't mean she is incapable of causing destuction on a large scale, it mean that her attack convert damage into healing.

Note2: "Emilia(At her best)" refers to the version that fought Pandora, for which there is no key currently.

Well the coming from the same guy who translated the Bond of Ice side story, he has already seen the OVA and the battle is skipped. We should be using this and try and scale to Melakuera's feats of there even are any animated.

What exactly should be done about Base Puck though, we just ignore memory snow showing him vs Roswaal and write it off as an inconsistency?

If we are put him back at 8-B, then it makes no sense why Roswaal didn't instantly stomp him since he could fight Puck's Beast of the End Form, unless he wasn't serious.

But that's a lot of assumptions here.

As for Gluttony scaling to Daphne that is iffy since they can combine their power with Eclipse, as for Minerva she is weird since while she is powerful she can't harm anything, really nobody should scale to her and vice versa.

As for Melakurea's feats, not gonna see that till the blurays are out, this is the major problem with re zero power scaling, all the important feats are untranslated/unavailable or need clarifications like visuals, hence why i don't have any motivation to revise anything till we actually get stuff in season 2 still though it's not like season 2 is gonna show Reinhard vs Celius but we will see Puck's world ending feat and Reinhard reversing it.

Puck isn't exactly inconsistent, iirc in the LN he help's Ram fight Roswaal while in base. Emilia is 8-A currently and Puck does just use her mana to cast spells so at least 8-A likely far higher. Also the translator has an impression of them being casual about their fight if you read it.

And while Gluttony being iffy, yeah it is. But for Minerva while she can't harm you harming her should still be counted for AP.

I believe we had some info on Sanctuary regarding it's size which I can use to calc Roswaal's snow storm energy, will get to that later. And while we don't have new feats or anything I'd still like to get that done and use as justification for the 7-B rating as currently you just took the average storm result from one of DMUA's post iirc, which is not accurate at all. That was about regular storms not snow storms where you have to account for the temperature drop and condensation.

Well the Emilia who is 8-A is Emilia who has regained her power, in other words remembers she can use magic without Puck. Puck is already out of the picture so idk if he should scale to her.

Also another thing is i feel like Emilia, Sirius and Priscilla's current tier is weird, Garfiel is said to be the Emlia factions strongest fighter, and yea you can say Emilia isn't a fighter but magician but i just find it weird to think that Sirius for example is that much stronger than Ley. Don't remember it being suggested Sirius is stronger than all the other archbishops except Regulus.

Who exactly has harmed Minerva though? Also idk if the feat she scales to is even still in the LN. I mean it can still be used for now but if it's been removed she would just get downgraded later.

Sanctuary is 100km, in the WN at least, thing is though Roswaal shouldn't normally scale to his Altemillion, from what i remember of the WN it takes him like several days to use it and when he uses it leaves him weak, in other words his normal capabilities shouldn't scale to it, though a rating for him with it would be fine.

Idk what exactly creating a snow storm counts as so i just took the average storm, but yea go ahead and calc it i guess.

More accurately Puck was suppressing her powers and memories, he used her mana supplies to cast magic while lying that he was getting it from the atmosphere. This Emilia is still not as strong as the one that froze Elior forest. And Tappei actually said once in reference to Otto using El Dona that anyone with access to a bigger mana pool will be able to cast higher tier magic so Puck's AP should correlate with Emilia's. His is likely higher as he is way more experienced than Emilia is.

And yeah, the current rating are weird. I do remember it being mentioned that Sirius appears to be the most dangerous out of the archbishops when ignoring Regulus. But that's neither here nor there, I'll search for something better.

As for Minerva, I'm refering to the hypothetical scenario of Minerva vs Sirius, where Tappei said that Sirius would easily win. Now I've thought about this and tried to envision how it would go. First of all I don't think Sirius wins via min/empathic manip, as Minerva was able to stop the effect of Daphne's eyes. Second of all I don't think she wins by injuring herself and transfering damage. Sirius has demonstrated the ability to selectively apply her authority which will be useful so that Minerva doesn't heal herself when she punches Sirius. But Minerva can heal herself manually so it doesn't even matter. No matter how I slice it it seems that Sirius need to be able to injure Minerva the regular way in order to win.

Good thing you're bringing Sanctuary's size here, I've been looking for that. I'd really appreciate it if you know where it comes from as skimming over the LN didn't yield many result's for me. As for calcing a snow storm, yeah it turn out to be quite annoying as for all the storm/cloud instructions on this site no one ever mentions what to do when it snows. CAPE seems uncertain and condensation too. Different users seem to all use different methods so this will take me some time.

Also there are some minor abilities in character profiles that are missing/incorrect. I'll compile and list them all when I have the time to go over all the available info from the wiki and Q&As.

I agree with Puck scaling to Emilia then.

Sirius is the most dangerous due to her authority doesn't really mean she is the strongest, atm i don't see why the other archbishops should be 8-B and her be 8-A.

Tappei said Sirius would win, didn't say it would be easy. Daphne's eyes cause the person to feel hunger, Sirius has more versatility, heightening emotions, transferring pain and heightening pain, mind manipulation, death manipulation.

When did Minerva stop Daphne's eyes though? Don't remember but it's been years since i read arc 4 so maybe i forgot.

I don't agree with Sirius scaling to Minerva, i think it's too vague and open to interpretation, atm i just see Sirius winning due to Minerva not being able to harm her and Sirius's authority. We also have to factor in Minerva's personality even if Sirius say harm herself which harms Minerva she will still try to heal Sirius over everything else including her own injuries.

It's been years since i read arc 4, wouldn't even know where to show you where i got Sanctuary's size from. The LN hasn't mentioned it so far.

Already know the profiles have things incorrect ie Gluttony shouldn't have existence erasure, so yea i will wait and see what you bring.

OK. Let's begin with a proper comparison of strength between the witches and archbishops. Taken from this Q&A.

Q: If the witches and archbishops were to fight which side would win?

A: Under the condition of it being the same archbishops, for Greed it will be a complete victory for Regulus. For Wrath it will be a complete victory for Sirius. For Sloth it will be a complete victory for Sekhmet. For Lust it will be a narrow victory for Carmilla. Because Gluttony is a difficult one it will be an equal match.

And now for how Sirius stacks up to the other bishops. From this Q&A.

Q: Comparing just physical strength with no authorities, who is the strongest out of the archbishops?

A: Sirius is the only answer.

This coupled with magical power enough to match Emilia(the whole fire thing of hers). This already shows she is among the strongest in the witch cult, comparable to Capella who's a match for Carmilla who's equal to Echidna.

Iirc Minerva freed Subaru from the effects of Daphne's eye(the weaker one). Sirius' authority should actually be weaker in this case since it's not instant and can be resisted, like Priscilla and Lilliana did. Also the death manip is just damage transferal of letal injuries.

As for the most important part of this, how the battle would actually go. Tappei makes it crystal clear in this whole Q&A,and please do read it, it's too much for a singul comment. Basically Minerva doesn't actually care about saving everyone, she doesn't even care about saving people in general. What she actually cares about is healing as many people as possible, even if the disasters caused be her kill many more than she saves she doesn't care.

Again I see no other way for Sirius to win if she can't harm Minerva directly. Minerva will just run away and go heal some other people since Sirius is just wasting her time. If she uses her authority has harm her Minerva will just heal her, heal herself and run. If Sirius tries again Minerva will just Immobilize her and run. She can try and deal a letal injury to herself but it has to be a one shot otherwise Minerva will just heal it.And if it is a one shot it's a draw not a win. The only way I see Sirius winning is by directly harming her with physical/magic attacks.

Bonus: Minerva might still have her authority, the same one as Sirius. Watch this to see what I'm talking about. It's not too far fetched. We still don't know how they work.

Ok so the other bishops don't scale to Sirius, and Capella seems to scale to Carmilla.

This is wonky though by this then since Roswaal=Puck, Echidna=Roswaal, Echidna=Carmilla, Capella=Carmillia.

Literally everyone should be City level now. Is Capella stronger than the other bishops? Cause if no then they scale to her and thus literally everybody who is 8-B should be 7-B. I mean Al could damage her so even then though this would make everyone 7-B.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, Puck Beast of the End Mode really isn't that special since everyone can handle it, when Puck and Roswaal are suppose to be top tiers.

For Carmillia vs Capella, Capella has insane regen and transmutation, she doesn't necessarily have to be as strong as Carmillia to put up a fight.

I can accept Sirius, Emilia etc scaling to Minerva although i still think it's iffy, but everyone scaling to Roswaal and Puck is very iffy to me.

Actually no, as I stated in the begining of the thread Ros is stronger than Dona, even Emilia at full power is. And we have this.

Q: Is Roswaal's combat strength at a level where he could fight with witch cult archbishops? (Setting aside compatibility)

A: I can't really follow the thinking of setting aside compatibility in combat (people with characteristic abilities include their characteristic ability when thinking about combat), but if they fought cleanly, all the archbishops except Regulus would be burned and ended. Of course, the archbishops aren't so reckless as to fight until they die against an opponent they can't defeat.

Roswaal is stronger than we think I guess. Echidna can still fight him but he is stronger. Physically thou Garfiel can beat him if the distance is small enough.

Q: If it's just hand-to-hand combat, who is stronger between he and Garfiel?

A: That'll be Garfiel. Overwhelmingly.

As for Capella she was able to turn a regular person into a dragon which Wilhelm regarded as dangerous. That human form of hers is probably weak. As for carmilla she likely has something simular to Typhoon.

Q: When trying to capture the six witches besides Satella, which one would be the most difficult to capture? Please let us know, both in terms of abilities, and personality.

A: If, by abilities, you mean combat, you're likely to die just from approaching both Typhon and Carmilla, so in terms of abilities, their difficulty would be high. In terms of personality, I think the hateful Carmilla that everyone adores would be the most difficult woman to capture. You'd fall for her right away.

Also there is this to consider.

Unlike in the Web Novel, the group are interrupted by Capella reforming herself, first as countless red lights, then as hundreds of field mice, before finally taking her original form back.

Well Capella goes to a straight up Unknown, the witches will get a likely 7-B as that's what likely the calc will come out for Ros. Gluttonies are a mess as I don't know if it's all that equal Daphne's strength. Sirius should be at least 8-A possibly Low 7-B. For the others I'm not quite sure, I was thinking of taking a second look at the whale. Currenly we say he has wall level dura to slashing but I don't remember that being mentioned. If that works out grat but if it doesn't I'll go through all the Q&As to try and find some scaling(wish me luck). I think there was something useful in relation to young Wil. This will take quite a lot of time to iron out, I don't have time right now it's 10pm. For now I wouldn't touch much but I'll get to rereading a bunch of chapters over the weekend to try and find something more useful than likely far higher.

The whale has that low a durability since even fodder can make it bleed and it's specifically mentioned it's hairs disperse mana or something like that which means it can tank more brute force than slashing attacks.

Anyway take your time.

Umm, I know that the scales disperse mana but brute force is a first for me. Worst case scenario I result to asking people who have read the LN over on Re:Zero wiki. Also there was something about fighters using mana to amp their bodies during a Wil Q&A so that can yield something. I know that Al has about as much mana as Mimi and her brothers and Tappei considers them upper mid tier. This really is a killer to figure out.

I would rather we wait until the LN has this stuff translated instead of relying on hearsay, hence why i haven't done these sort of revisions cause stuff isn't translated.

Fighters can amp themselves with mana but to suggest some random no name person can harm the whale who has tanked town level attacks, is just wrong to me.

But it's accepted here that slicing attacks to some extent do negate durability.

Does Rem's flail count as such cause she did injure him? Also the novels are going to take years to translate, they literally take longer than for new ones to come out.

Why am I still here commenting, I need to get my act together.

I guess but anyway i would oppose to scaling everyone to the whale, only Reinhard etc can take the whale down alone. It's these sorts of things that keep coming up where literally everyone scales.

The novels take years hence why i am looking forward to season 2 and had no interest in any revisions till then.

Alright, the Roswaal calc is done and being evaluated. Also I realised that since Ros made it to the top 5 tied with Puck and the witches made it he is stronger than them (kind of a derp realisation). Anyways we scale them all except Minerva, which I'm not quite sure what to do about because of the whole Sirius thing. I think we should just put her at Unknown ignoring the mountain statement to not screw with the scaling.

But hey, some good news I have here. The arc 4 manga is pumping out a 40 page chapter every week so we can use that for calcs when there more chapters out.

As for the many minor ability inaccuracies with the different characters, yeah I haven't gone through all the Q&As cause I got sick of reading the many dumb and repetitive questions but I can still correct the many obviously wrong ones. If there is something more contentious I'll post about it on this treat before editing it.

Also I'd like to change out a lot of the pictures for better ones I've found, hope you don't have a problem with that.

Well as i said before from my memory Altemillion takes Roswaal like several days to use and when he uses it leaves him weak, in other words his normal capabilities shouldn't scale to it, though a rating for him with it would be fine. So Roswaal would be 6-C with Altemillion, unless what i am remembering of arc 4 is wrong.

That was sort of my point, Roswaal is in the top 5, the witches weren't brought up in that tiering except Sehkmet. Capella scaling to Carmillia is iffy, Sirius scaling to Minerva is also iffy.

Sirius is said to be the physcially strongest archbishops so her, Emilia, Priscilla being 8-A can stay.

We don't even know if the mountain statement is in the LN so don't really have a problem with Minerva being Unknown.

Sure go ahead and change the pictures.

Yes Ros need a few days to set it up but iirc no changes occur before it is cast and after it is cast he need to keep pumping mana into it so it doesn't stop. And as I said before the amout of mana a person has relates to the strength of spells they can cast. Logicallly if Roswaal can't put his full energy into an offensive spell while Altemillion is going on he should be able to while it isn't. And the energy he should be able to put into an offensive spell must be the same amount as he is putting into Altemillion.

But even then though he needs prep to use it along with constantly supplying it mana, not really seeing how such a massive spell which takes him that much effort scales to his normal capabilities.

Even if he can put that much mana in an offensive attack, can he do it causally? And continuously? Doesn't seem like it to me.

Roswaal is, by his own statement, someone who specialises in offensive magic. The fact that he has all affinities doesn't mean his affinities are equaly as strong, he is not as good of a yin user as Beako and not as good a water user as Felix. Also even individual affinties have their different aspects such as water magic being able to create,well water but it's mostly healing and Ros can't even use the healing aspect. Ros, Puck and Emilia are all fire users but they are very different, Puck and Emilia are naturaly suited to ice magic and Ros to fire and I don't think Ros can use AZ even though he is as powerful as Puck.

Point is that Altemillion is not his specialty, Puck can achieve the same thing by existing. And iirc while he is preparing the spell it isn't actually doing anything the the environment otherwise the temp will be dropping by the hour for a few days straight till it eventually reaches the blizzard like condicions, meaning that Roswaal pumps a bunch of energy in a short amount of time to make it snow and than he continuous to pump more energy to maintain it since otherwise it will just disappear. And of course it will disappear, he is the only thing causing it, that energy can easily be spent blowing thing up instead of keeping it winter.

What really proves Roswaal can dish out island level attacks causally and constantly though?

In the days he is preparing for all we know he is gathering the mana require to cast the spell.

Ice magic may not be his specifically but it's a big assumption to assume something that takes him days to prepare and once prepared constantly requires his mana, scales to him normally, when has his fire magic which he can cast instantly ever done anything close to Altermillion which requires prep?

Only thing i remember is his fight with Puck changing the topography but we don't have that feat atm.

That's my opinion here, you probably need some more input on it, but Re Zero doesn't exactly have much of any active fans on here.

Then what should he be rated as? Puck's rating comes from a storm he causes by existing but in actuality all that energy he sucks is going mostly toward keeping him in physical form, how much of that he can use is actually unknow and he can likely have the same effect as Altemillion. We can have Ros as 6-C with environmental destruction but what about his actual rating, there is nothing besides that very iffy Minerve statement that in no way applies to him.

7-B, 6-C with Altemillion.

Puck imo is completely different, he instantly causes a storm just by existing, there is no prep or anything involved, and if he can do that via existing, his attack are obviously stronger.

'Aight how about this. Young Emilia was able to instantly cause a blizzard that was directly compared to the one cause by Puck and Ros. Emilia froze an entire forest to AZ over and unknow amount of time but she did make it snow instantly. The forest in question is Elior and the one around Sanctuary is Kremaldy, both are a part of Roswaal's domain so they should be comparable in size with Ros managing to make it snow over a part of Kremaldy while Emilia made it snow in aver all of Elior thus pulling a feat comparable to Altemillion in an instant. Emilia at her best is still inferior to Ros in AP by WoG. Does this work???

In the LN we haven't gotten any statements of AZ for Emilia yet, or her freezing Elior for some reason, anyway as you said it was an unknown time frame.

When is it said Elior is comparable in size to Kremaldy? Also you don't see the issue with assuming what all you said it correct, Emilia can perform a feat that took Roswaal a lot of effort instantly while it took Roswaal days to do?

By all means Elior is massive, it took Emilia 7 and a half years to explore and map and has many villages scattered all throughout and the AZ time frame isn't relevant as she caused a blizzard to happen in less than a minute.

And yes she can do it easily when at full power because she did. Ros has to use a specific spell and prepare it not to cause a blizzard of that scale but to cause a blizzard in general, while Puck does it by existing.

Massive as in what exactly though, a lot of assumptions are being made here.

Because she did isn't a valid reason, we don't know the size of Elior, and you want to scale Roswaal to an Emilia who performed a feat even greater than what Roswaal has done.

In fact what exactly proves all of Elior Forest was instantly in snow? I could also direct this same question in regards to Roswaal. Puck isn't a valid counter since we saw him do it instantly onscreen and it's a normal snow storm not a 400km snow storm like you're suggesting for Roswaal and Emilia.

A whole lot of these issues would be resolved with visual depictions, honestly i feel like i am wasting effort here, when all we have to do is wait on season 2 or the manga to get visual depictions of various feats which we can calc and will probably lead to upgrades.

Anyway i am spending too much time here when i have other stuff to do.

Ok let's get some things out of the way when it comes to blizzards. For Puck, using standart assumptions and the same method as for Ros you get energy equal to 55.3 Megatons. And for the time frame of the whole thing, it really doesn't matter as much as you think it does. I'm only measuring the energy needed to one condense the water vapor in the air to form cloud and two reduce the temperature of the clouds to -12 ┬░C.

When looking at a time frame you shouldn't look at how long it takes for it to start snowing because it takes a lot of time for the snow to fall from the sky to the ground and deposition of ice isn't something I even accounted for because the energy needed is insignificant compared to the whole thing. roughly 90% of the energy is reducing the temperature of air to -12 but you can't look at that as well because I'm calculating the energy for reducing the temperature of the air in the clouds that are hovering a few kilometers above the ground and no one would be able to notice it until it starts snowing. The only thing that can work is looking at how long it takes for the sky to get covered in clouds even if it's only 10% of the whole feat.

Hey, remember that nuke from the OVA? Yeah, it's 1.565 Megatons. Why? Because it seems like the whole way we calc nukes is wrong. Basically the just of it is that the formulas are for air blast radius and not fireball radius that we actually measure so we used nuke map.

Anyways I'd like to talk about some things from Bond of Ice. To note I think we should give Puck some more abilities. Here dematerializes many times to go off somewhere while not being bound to a contract is one of them, not sure what ability that would be. He should also have small size in base and large size in true form and size manip as he can change size as show in ep 1 of the anime. I already added heat manip as that's how fire magic is described as. I think he was also able to use ice flowers...

Oh yeah, ice flowers, that ability Emilia used to spawn ice flowers out off people's wounds, even those that were dozens possible hundreds of meters away, to suck their blood out and slowly kill them. That should probably be added too. Btw I think there is a feat I can calc involving a semi-manifested Melakuera and Emilia.

Back