• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Questioning Pokemon Scaling

@Cal

It kinda isn't. Coming from a star/light means literally nothing about the attack, since it isn't reflecting it. It uses light to charge and then releases the energy it gained from the light.

As for scientific computers saying it's light, well if the attack clearly doesn't behave like light it doesn't matter. If an in-game source says something but that source is validated by nothing by real life standards then the in-game source is just wrong.

Assaltwaffle said:
@Cal
It kinda isn't. Coming from a star/light means literally nothing about the attack, since it isn't reflecting it. It uses light to charge and then releases the energy it gained from the light.
I already argued with this with Dragon Assalt. The light itself is the energy being gathered as the move is gathering sunlight.

How that isn't being made up of pure light is beyond me.

Kepekley23 said:
For one, this isn't Bulbasaur's normal depiction of Solar Beam and if it was a standard, Solar Beam would be looking like this from X/Y anime on. It definitely doesnt.

Two, im very inclined to say this is just a fancy way of Bulbasaur figuring out to use Solar Beam to signal the other pokemon. May I remind everyone of how Pokemon Contests being a thing in the anime makes moves look extremely different from how they actually are all the time?

@Prof

Because you can convert light into non-light energy? Solar panels don't just shoot light into the wires, they convert it into electrical energy. Plants don't have light shooting through them because they use photosynthesis. Once light is absorbed it isn't light anymore; it becomes energy.

Assaltwaffle said:
@Prof
Because you can convert light into non-light energy? Solar panels don't just shoot light into the wires, they convert it into electrical energy. Plants don't have light shooting through them because they use photosynthesis. Once light is absorbed it isn't light anymore; it becomes energy.
Not a fair comparison though.

Solar Panels are electrically based machinery, so they would need to convert sunlight into electrical energy in order to make use of it.

Plants turn sunlight into food for them as obviously light cannot literally be "eaten".

There's 0 reason to say a light-based attack would suddenly make the light absorbs not light anymore, especially when the beam itself appears as light when fired.

That's a shame, there should really be a profile for the Power Ra-, err... Kamen Rider-look a like Pokémon.

Anyway, since we are all talking about Pokémon and what their actual durabilities and attack capabilities are... would it be weird to argue that all Non-Legendary and Non-Ultras share a similar durability? I mean, throughout your journey in the Pokémon games you fight plenty of trainers and plenty of wild ones too. Yet, never is a Pokémon outright killed (with minor exceptions) so even a Pidgey or a Charmander could be capable of surviving a Salamence's attack despite leaving them fainted.

I don't see why that should be treated differently than how we take Pokémon moves and such into account. People above are already starting or considering to include freeze feats even though it's based on the mere possibility of, say, an Onix being frozen by a Smoochum since the Pokémon games allow for that possiblity -- in the same way that a trainer can send out a Salamence against a very weak Pidgey and defeat it with an all-out Hyper Beam yet it won't kill the Pidgey.

Obviously, your average Pidgey cannot kill (defeat?) your average Salamence but IIRC it's not *that* weird for fictional characters to have higher durability than their offensive prowess, right?

Clearly in Pokemon lightspeed is only 60mph. Gary Oak is a very credible source and the son of Prof. Oak, so he knows his shit. I demand a downgrade.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Isnt there literally no difference in capability between AZ's Floette and regular ones?
The only unique thing this one has is Immortality from AZ's ultimate weapon. I don't recall it ever being stated to be stronger than average Floette.
Eternal Floette has much higher stats. It's probably game mechanics to some degree but worth noting none the less.

Also WTF hapened? this thread goes untoughed for a week and then all of the sudden it picks back up while I'm at work and can't contribute. :(

EDIT: also Eternal Floette can't evolve.

SuperKamiNappa said:
Eternal Floette has much higher stats. It's probably game mechanics to some degree but worth noting none the less.

Also WTF hapened? this thread goes untoughed for a week and then all of the sudden it picks back up while I'm at work and can't contribute. :(

EDIT: also Eternal Floette can't evolve.
This was already addressed above.

Kaltias said:
So trains are always late because they go FTL and thus mess with time.

It all makes sense now...
Wait, so that means that Trenitalia is late because it's fast?! Best plot twist in history.

I think that Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Wartortle and other mid-stage Pokémon should scale to Dugtrio, as you first encounter and battle them when you're at about mid-stage level. Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna, should scale to Clefa, considering Cleffa's a baby Pokémon. Igglybuff especially should scale to Cleffa, as they're counterparts. Game Pikachu has anime Pikachu feats on it's profile, even though Ash's Pikachu is established to be much stronger than any regular Pikachu. Light Ball Pikachu should be High 6-C, considering it has higher offensive stats than Dugtrio and Charizard. Anime Pikachu should be at least High 6-C via scaling to mega evolutions. MD Igglybuff should be at least High 6-C, likely higher, considering it effortlessly curbstomped Exploud, Vespiqueen, Yanmega, Probopass, Claydol and Camerupt all at the same time. MD Grovyle and Dusknoir should be 2-B, as it's never implied anywhere in the game that Primal Dialga is weaker than Dialga. If anything, Primal Dialga is stronger. MD Wigglytuff should also be 2-B, via being equal, if not stronger than Grovyle and Dusknoir. It's also silly that we treat Wigglytuff as just a pure normal type. Just because the Fairy type wasn't a thing until X/Y, it doesn't mean that they didn't exist in-universe. Saiyans weren't created until DBZ, but that doesn't mean that in-universe, Goku was a human during DB. Same thing applies here. Abra should be 8-A via scaling to Charmander. Why do we have Hitmonlee listed as stronger than Hitmonchan? That doesn't make sense. Tauros should scale to Dugtrio, considering that Ash's completely untrained Tauros was capable of taking down Drake's Venusaur. Why do Magikarp and Gyarados have different profiles? It should just be one profile. That's all for now, I'll do more later.

No, Dugtrio is a final stage and has more row power than the second starter stages.

Maybe, the bug Pokémon can be found initially in the game while Cleffa later, Igglybuff can scale to Cleffa.

High 6-C refers to the max trained Pokémon that are owned by trainers that are far stronger than Champions and Brains, Ash is constantly portrayed as comparable to Champions and Brains in Hoenn at his peak, but never far surpassed them unlike Red, so Ash's Pikachu is at least 6-C even with the Light Ball, where the Champions and Brains are placed at.

MD Igglypuff never fought with High 6-C Pokémon nor the ones that are comparable to MD Alakazam, Tyranitar and Charizard, but rather a bunch of Pokémon that are far far weaker than them.

Low 2-C is fine for Grovyle, Dusknoir and Celebi, they are not godly being like the Creation Trio, MD Wigglytuff was never stated to be stronger than them and got stomped by the Player and his Partner in the Post-Game, so High 6-A is fine.

Abra is physically much weaker than Charmender, should scale only by offensive physic powers.

The 8-A Tauros is referred to the ones found in the Safari Zone, the one Ash used was heavily trained hence much stronger than the 8-A ones.

Magikarp and Gyarados should have the same profile, all the other Pokémon profiles should start from their first form and have all the other forms listed.

Farfetch'd is a final stage Pokémon, but it's not high 6-C. My point is you first start fighting Dugtrio while your Pokémon are in their mid-stage.

Cleffa's a baby Pokémon, why shouldn't Caterpie/Weedle scale.

Absolute horseshit. Pokémon are High 6-C via scaling to Dugtrio and Earthquake. Ash's Pikachu doesn't even have a Light Ball.

What the **** are you talking about? Camerupt has Earthquake, of course he's High 6-C. And Armaldo should be roughly comparable to MD Alakazam, Tyranitar and Charizard.

Doesn't matter if they're godly or not. Darkrai isn't a godly being, but he's 2-B. Grovyle defeated all 3 members of the lake trio, all of which are 2-B. Yet Grovyle is only low 2-C? Grovyle and Dusknoir both respect Wigglytuff's power, going out of their way to avoid confrontation with him. Not to mention that the player and their partner still consider Wigglytuff to be stronger than them, even after they stalemate with Mesprit. Plus, the player and the partner never stomped Wigglytuff, it was pretty even. Not to mention this is after the fight with Primal Dialga, so Wigglytuff should scale for sure.

Uh, okay? So what?

But... they're not 8-A? We have them at Low 7-B right now. And that fight with Drake was the first time he even used Tauros, it wasn't trained at all.

Jakob C. Brown said:
That's a shame, there should really be a profile for the Power Ra-, err... Kamen Rider-look a like Pokémon.
Anyway, since we are all talking about Pokémon and what their actual durabilities and attack capabilities are... would it be weird to argue that all Non-Legendary and Non-Ultras share a similar durability? I mean, throughout your journey in the Pokémon games you fight plenty of trainers and plenty of wild ones too. Yet, never is a Pokémon outright killed (with minor exceptions) so even a Pidgey or a Charmander could be capable of surviving a Salamence's attack despite leaving them fainted.

I don't see why that should be treated differently than how we take Pokémon moves and such into account. People above are already starting or considering to include freeze feats even though it's based on the mere possibility of, say, an Onix being frozen by a Smoochum since the Pokémon games allow for that possiblity -- in the same way that a trainer can send out a Salamence against a very weak Pidgey and defeat it with an all-out Hyper Beam yet it won't kill the Pidgey.

Obviously, your average Pidgey cannot kill (defeat?) your average Salamence but IIRC it's not *that* weird for fictional characters to have higher durability than their offensive prowess, right?
Nah, your Pokémon will hold back enough to just knock it out. Also, if you get knocked out in one hit from an attack, you don't scale to it. If a professional boxer punched me as hard as he could and knocked me out on the spot, it wouldn't matter if I survived or not, I still don't scale to it.

While I don't agree with that notion; Superweeb, usually, when someone swears or otherwise, it's considered a sign of aggressiveness. After all, there are a million better ways to formulate a counter argument.

LephyrTheRevanchist said:
While I don't agree with that notion; Superweeb, usually, when someone swears or otherwise, it's considered a sign of aggressiveness. After all, there are a million better ways to formulate a counter argument.
Fair enough.

Back