• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about FTL Characters and Striking Strength

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I was a bit bored today when I remembered an old VSauce video about what would happen if Superman punched you. Said video used e=mc^2 instead of massively faster than light speeds due to physics but the result (According to the video) was about 1.9*10^16 Joules of force. That's when this question hit me.

Should e=mc^2 be used for all FTL characters when calculating striking strength?

If so, the numbers are fairly impressive. For example, take Kizaru. Assuming he's moving at the speed of light when he kicks someone (and the average mass of a human hand or foot is about 300g)

e=(.3)(3*10^8)^2

e = 2.7*10^16 Joules (City Level) in kicking power alone, not to mention the addition of Haki and massive explosions caused by his Logia powers.

I know this doesn't really apply to a lot of characters who move at such speeds due to even higher destructive power, but for characters like Kizaru who lack major feats this would bump them up to solid City Level in terms of quantifiable feats instead of relying on powerscaling. Then again, physics might not apply to fiction...

So... thoughts?

The short answer is no.

Physics breaks down at the speed of light and above, even e=mc^2 breaks down at the speed of light and above. Lightspeed or FTL speed characters can not get Attack Potency calced based on their speed.

Alright, thanks for answering. I only took a basic physics course so I was merely curious is all.

Back