• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
It does, actually. If someone here writes an OC that barely anyone on the internet knows about, it shouldn't get a profile. But if one of the world's best-selling novelists had made some edits here before, their works would still get profiles.

Agnaa said:
It does, actually. If someone here writes an OC that barely anyone on the internet knows about, it shouldn't get a profile. But if one of the world's best-selling novelists had made some edits here before, their works would still get profiles.
If the work is an officially published one then it would be perfectly fine to have either way unless it has other reasoning to not be added like Suggs. Both are also technically OCs, just one has more following.

We allow many works that aren't officially published, such as many indie games, webcomics, webnovels, and internet series. We allow these based on their popularity.

We don't include creepypasta fanfiction.

But you also don't include canonical creepypasta characters anyway, even though they are quite popular online

Anyway this is getting a bit derailed, what is the verdict?

Agnaa said:
We allow many works that aren't officially published, such as many indie games, webcomics, webnovels, and internet series. We allow these based on their popularity.
Sure, but popularity does not always dictate what we allow, that's why profiles subject for deletion are more often than not low quality as opposed to obscure.

I don't want to clog the thread with this, so if you want to discuss it more I can send you a message on your wall.

For sure, popularity does not always dictate what we delete, but you earlier said "I don't believe popularity has bearing on whether a profile should be deleted" which I interpreted as you saying that popularity is never a factor. If you agree that it sometimes is, then this discussion does not need to go further.

I'm not sure.

It's basically a small PvP fighting game within Roblox, where both players have access to all "catalog items". Which seems to be any unlockable items within Roblox.

I think it's more than a debug mode, it's intended and built for fighting instead of just being a blank sandbox engine like GMod, but part of it is also letting people play around with gear that they haven't unlocked yet.

It might be fine since we're not deleting verses like Devil Daggers, but my opinion here shouldn't be the definitive closing argument.

I really don't think that throwing the player in a sandbox with no fictional setting to speak of and saying them through a game description "go fight" is enough to make for a fictional setting to speak of.

Apparently it has some gear banned for balance reasons, and it has maps that rotate occasionally.

Like I said, it looks like a sandbox-esque thing built for fighting, rather than a sandbox that people happen to use for fighting.

And like other people mentioned, we have profiles for Devil Daggers, PUBG's player character, and many Game & Watch characters, all of which don't have a story. The rule mentioned was more designed for verses like asdf movie, a series of short animated skits with no coherent narrative.

HeadlessKramerGeoff777 said:
Agnaa said:
And like other people mentioned, we have profiles for Devil Daggers, PUBG's player character, and many Game & Watch characters, all of which don't have a story. The rule mentioned was more designed for verses like asdf movie, a series of short animated skits with no coherent narrative.
Feels like this is inconstant then, as in we are bending the rules for certain verses but not others
Not really, a well designed verse with little to no story shouldn't be comparable to a setting with an inconsistent or incoherent plot that can't reliably be ranked and scaled.

I mean, games have a gameplay and a story. Books, comics, animations, movies, TV shows, anime, audio dramas, etc. all just have the story.

I think there's some sense behind not requiring games to have a story, as long as they have one consistent set of gameplay that can be attributed to the work, as long as that's enough to make a noteworthy profile.

Those verses have settings though.

I can't speak for PUBG or Devil Daggers, but for example Game & Watch has a clear setting (and arguably a story).You're a fireman helping people from a fire, you're a guy defending his garden from holes, you're a ******* guy keeping his clothes from getting wet.

Even if games have no actual cutscene or "story" to speak of they still have a setting. You know that this is not just meaningless gameplay, you are a being in a setting doing things.

Stuff like Universe Sandbox, RPG Maker or base Roblox might have things happenings, none of what you do as a player is meant to represent any "in-universe" action, because "in-universe" does not exist.

Are those things about G&W ever stated, or are they just told in the visuals?

I'm not familiar with Universe Sandbox. RPG Maker doesn't have a base game. This isn't quite base Roblox, it's a game inside Roblox made by a fan that uses the base assets. And like I mentioned, they do have rotating maps.

Agnaa said:
I'm not familiar with Universe Sandbox.
Universe Sandbox is what it sounds like. "Here's a simulation of the 'universe', do what you want."

It's mostly for messing with orbital mechanics at star system level to be honest.

Ahh. Well, if we really want to avoid having sandbox verses and it's hard to draw the line, then I don't oppose deleting the Catalog Heaven player on those grounds.

"Are those things about G&W ever stated, or are they just told in the visuals?"

It is explicitly told, but I really don't think it's needed. A game with no dialogue or narration or whatever can still be considered if it's obvious from the visual that something in-universe exists.

Which is not the case for, say, Catalog Heaven.

I can't even imagine how to draw the line in that way for profiles like Catalog Heaven, Devil Daggers, PUBG, and G&W.

I don't know how the visuals of two cartoon characters hitting each other with signs is more indicative of a story than two blocky roblox characters fighting with intricate weapons/gear on a rotating set of maps.

Agnaa said:
I can't even imagine how to draw the line in that way for profiles like Catalog Heaven, Devil Daggers, PUBG, and G&W.
I don't know how the visuals of two cartoon characters hitting each other with signs is more indicative of a story than two blocky roblox characters fighting with intricate weapons/gear on a rotating set of maps.
That's easy though. If the gameplay is in universe then it should count as visual storytelling, otherwise it doesn't make the cut.

Devil Daggers and G&W have characters that face conflicts and the gameplay is their solutions to those conflicts.

For Catalog Heaven you have to ask if the gameplay is purely mechanical, or if they are characters actually doing things in a setting.

Are the rotating maps an actual set of changing arenas in universe, or is it just game mechanics?

Are the Robloxians actual characters in this game mode, or are they purely a vessel for fighting each other?

I guess so, but that doesn't apply to all G&W situations, like the cartoon characters with signs.

The Robloxians are basically just a vessel for fighting each other, there's no story. The map changes are more or less mechanical. Catalog heaven itself is just a vessel for using the catalog weapons and nothing else.

Well, I am personally neutral regarding this issue.

Alright, I'm going to maybe bring up an example of what something like Catalog Heaven would look like if it was acceptable on the wiki: Quake III.

Quake III, at its core, is an excuse to have a bunch of wacky characters blast the hell out of each other with rocket launchers, plasma rifles, and railguns. It does have a story, though: The Vadrigar, an immortal alien race that has conquered death itself, takes pleasure in snatching the greatest fighters from across the universe and making them fight in their Arena Eternal.

The maps are all part of the Arena Eternal, the characters have backstory, there is a clear plot to Quake III. Catalog Heaven, on the other hand, has none of that. Catalog Heaven has a bunch of blank slate characters fight in some maps for no reason whatsoever. There's no plot, no setting, no character motivations. Hell, I'm pretty sure GMod Prop Hunt has more of a plot to it.

You all already know that I think it should go, though.

Devil Daggers would still have a setting in the sense that G&W does, if that's the metric we're using. You're some guy up against ever increasing hordes of creatures that are trying to kill you that you fight back against by shooting them down with your daggers. There's actually progression to it too, all the enemy spawns are scripted at specific amounts of elapsed time and eventually a boss shows up.

Catalog heaven is just PvP, if I'm not mistaken.

It's preacher dude that fights crime and looks completely goofy from a glance and he isn't exactly a religious figure that people worship. Nothing wrong with it being on the site.

Yes, that seems harmless to keep.

Back