• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Powers & Abilities Formatting [Staff Only]

I suppose so, but I still do not like that our search engine optimisation is already so awful. We are popular despite Google downranking us, through sheer quality and hard work, not because of them upranking us.

I can't speak on that much. How about for now we leave them out of our guidelines and see if we run into any issues in the future and deal it then?

Well, it would be nice if we crack the 1 million individual visitors per month border in the coming year, rather than decrease our popularity.

Bump

We need to do something about this. A lot of pages has been updated into the new P&A format, and boy do they look horrendous. No offence meant to the editors, but holy crap, some pages like Sonic makes one's eyes bleed because of how bad they look. We need to make the CRT thing mandatory before more pages are changed to this ugly format.

Bump

We need to do something about this. A lot of pages has been updated into the new P&A format, and boy do they look horrendous. No offence meant to the editors, but holy crap, some pages like Sonic makes one's eyes bleed because of how bad they look. We need to make the CRT thing mandatory before more pages are changed to this ugly format.
Well, a CRT should always be mandatory for these things anyway since they're significant changes to the pages, no?

Bump

It is indeed a nightmare. Like, it makes sense to make up to 3 subtabbers but anymore than that and you're not really getting much benefits out of it.

The bullet-pointing also only works if you're like, doing it to a short list. Doing it to a gargantuan wall of hax not only looks horrendous, but will outright start slowing down your machine entirely, making edits even more painful.

I think it looks horrible with a lot of P&A sections
Like what is even the point in ones where abilities don’t get explained at all, really short P&A where readibility was never an issue or long P&A where this actually makes them longer?

Like what is even the point in ones where abilities don’t get explained at all, really short P&A where readibility was never an issue or long P&A where this actually makes them longer?

Ideally most abilities would need a justification on them except for something that is extremely obvious and needs no elaboration such as Superhuman Physical Characteristics.

Yah but like first get the explanations in there
After that the format change if needed

Ideally most abilities would need a justification on them except for something that is extremely obvious and needs no elaboration such as Superhuman Physical Characteristics.
I would add abilities that would require long descriptions and detailing, in that case I think it's fine to just list the core power and then leave the explanation to other sections within the profile.

The main problem here is that most of our members do not read our rules, and ignore our notifications, and I am doing most of the edit-patrolling in the wiki on my own, so once we have established a certain standard, it is automatically going to spread like a wildfire. So that heavily implies that we need an either-or option.

I suppose that we could mention the rule within the standard format for character profile pages page within the section where the powers and abilities lists are mentioned in the first place though, as well as set up a wiki management forum thread where our members should always ask for permission, and link to it in conjunction, if you all think that would be sufficient.

I can probably also highlight this thread here in this forum if you wish.

Sincerely, beyond Superhuman Physical Characteristics, all should powers should have something said in the parenthesis, just remembering some profiles i've seen with the new format - bullet points (just a few powers explained while the rest have nothing makes the profile look worse that the current state).

Yeah, a crt/talk between the supporters of the verse should be mandatory before applying the new format but if there just one supporter/or just one member still active I guess its then to their discretion what to change and what to not.

I was suggesting a more general wiki management thread in which our members can link to sandbox drafts for what the character profile pages would look like after their revisions, not separate threads for each verse, but it isn't like I have a firm conviction either way about this topic.

Anyway, @Confluctor , can you link to the pages that you think have been negatively impacted by this change, and as sich currently look bad, please, so we can more easily evaluate if it seems like a serious problem?

Two of the worst ones imo

Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Pre-Genesis Wave)

This one almost seems like a Work in Progress. Some of the abilities are the old format and some are not.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Game)

Too many tabs on this one, and some unnecessary scrollboxes.

I agree that both need changing.

Not sure about work in progress tbh, the file was changed a while ago - like quite a while ago - and still haven't been fixed.

Hmm. I personally don't particularly mind either of those examples, with the exception that one of them has not been fully converted yet, at least not in desktop viewing mode.

This one almost seems like a Work in Progress. Some of the abilities are the old format and some are not.

Too many tabs on this one, and some unnecessary scrollboxes.

I agree that both need changing.
Do you have any suggestions for what can be done to improve their layout structures?

@Damage3245 @Confluctor

It is important that we finish this discussion. We likely need to write some official instructions for when the format is or isn't appropriate to apply at least.

Also, should I send a notification to everybody else in our staff who commented here previously?

I don't think a mass-notification is necessary until we get a draft of some guidelines.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Any file with more than 10 or 15 abilities shouldn't qualify for this new format. I could work with less, but anything above... It's a nightmare

Any file with more than 10 or 15 abilities shouldn't qualify for this new format. I could work with less, but anything above... It's a nightmare
Okay. Would that be acceptable for you, Damage?

Okay. Would that be acceptable for you, Damage?
Well, not really. It depends on how it is implemented. A profile could have more than 10 abilities but still utilize the new list format if tabbers and scrollboxes are used.

And this format was introduced to deal with huge difficult-to-read walls of text in the first place which typically comes from more abilities.

Gas for example over over 30 abilities in his section but is a great example of a useful, organized Powers & Abilities section.

Okay. I also think that the Gas page seems to be better organised and more easily overviewed now.

I obviously disagree, that does look terrible to me.
Well, before my suggestions, the page would probably have looked like this:

vIE5hkR.png

Maybe that works for some, but for me it is a clear downgrade in terms of usefulness - both as a viewer simply looking at it, and as an editor who has to go into the source code and navigate a wall of text.

Back