• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Powers & Abilities Formatting [Staff Only]

I want to add an extra point here.
Damage might be onto something, it seemingly does help with readability apparently, a friend of mine who has some minor dyslexia lowkey confirmed, the clumping of just a **** ton of words only separated by things like apostrophes and a billion "[Word] Manipulation" (so similar sentences, word, and term structure I guess?) strung together makes it confusing and actively hard to read I guess for him. The new format with each power being separated for the most part and made visually distinct helps a lot.

Allegedly.

Sincerely, a thing that would actually help to differentiate better the power and linked text would be bold the powers like it was said above, just this not really the entire scrollbar tabber and bullet point organization if people won't agree to change X series to such a format. Since some profiles will stay the same, some will adapt this new format, then it shouldn't make that much of a difference if some are just bolded, right? Maybe let each fandom chose how they think it will work better.

Sincerely, a thing that would actually help to differentiate better the power and linked text would be bold the powers like it was said above, just this not really the entire scrollbar tabber and bullet point organization if people won't agree to change X series to such a format. Since some profiles will stay the same, some will adapt this new format, then it shouldn't make that much of a difference if some are just bolded, right? Maybe let each fandom chose how they think it will work better.
Yes, you can bold some abilities without necessarily listing them as bullet points or using scrollboxes.

Okay. Thank you for helping out.

So do you think that we have sufficient support to apply this now, Damage?
Yes, I believe so.

I'll write up a draft for what we can add to the Standard Format for Characters page.

Okay. Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated.

Haven't forgotten about this btw. Just been busy and will post an update here as soon as I can.

Okay. No problem, and thank you for helping out.

To be honest, i dislike bullet point formatting, aesthetically speaking our current formatting look way better. It also not work with profile which have much longer wall of text. But i agree with using Bold for abilities/haxes, and a scrollbox for a "massively long wall"
Also the reason Garou's P&A section look hard is due to editors use too much words and linked them with scan, evidences, etc...people could just use three or four key words and link it scan, thus shorten the length of the "blue text"

Yes, this is a really good optional alternative. I can think of a good number of pages that would greatly benefit from this. I agree with the proposal.

I agree to a certain extent.

I agree to bolding (Mostly), and I agree to bullet-pointing and adding scroll-boxes but only for incredibly-short profiles with thoroughly detailed singular abilities.

Bullet-pointing and scrollboxing will pretty much not work at all with incredibly massive profiles like Dante, Kratos or Kirby. It would make them look tenfold worse.

Last edited:
To be honest, i dislike bullet point formatting, aesthetically speaking our current formatting look way better. It also not work with profile which have much longer wall of text. But i agree with using Bold for abilities/haxes, and a scrollbox for a "massively long wall"
Also the reason Garou's P&A section look hard is due to editors use too much words and linked them with scan, evidences, etc...people could just use three or four key words and link it scan, thus shorten the length of the "blue text"
I agree, I already did it to a considerable extent with Kratos, reducing the blue text and keeping the link to only the key words like the verbs.

I believe reducing the blue text to just the key words is considerably more appealing in the long run.

Having less blue text, also make easier to see the abilities a character has as you can differentiate better when a power starts/ends. Plus its easier on the eye...sometimes so much bright blue makes my head hurts if I stare too much.

Bullet-pointing and scrollboxing will pretty much not work at all with incredibly massive profiles like Dante, Kratos or Kirby. It would make them look tenfold worse.

I'm not going to be editing the likes of Dante's profile but as I said in the OP, this isn't mandatory. If Dante's profile won't be improved, then it doesn't need to be edited.

I have seen this format used on Popey’s page and it looks horrible imo
This format is already being misused heavily

I'll see if I can fix Popeye's profile later. It looks bad at the moment IMO because the scrollbox isn't needed for him, and justifications are missing.

I'm not going to be editing the likes of Dante's profile but as I said in the OP, this isn't mandatory. If Dante's profile won't be improved, then it doesn't need to be edited.
We're already working on reducing the amount of blue text on Dante's profile for a more cleaner look.

And yes, this is not something that should be made mandatory.

I'll see if I can fix Popeye's profile later. It looks bad at the moment IMO because the scrollbox isn't needed for him, and justifications are missing.
Mind you it’s not the only page using a scroll box where it’s unneeded
Alien X and Chaos Emerald are also good examples for when not to use it

I think we should put a note saying to not use it on pages where the justifications for abilities are lacking or the P&A is really short

Yeah, maybe something like this:

Note: For abilities sections which are extremely long, put this code at the beginning of the list of abilities:

<div class="scrollable" style="overflow:auto; max-height:600px; width:{{{width|100%}}}; -moz-border-radius-topleft:0.5em; border:1px solid #AAAAAA; padding-left:0.5em; background:transparent;">

And this code at the end:

And that will make the scrollbox around them. Short, concise lists of abilities do not need a scrollbox added to them.

What kind of instructions should we give regarding when it can be appropriate to use bullet point lists for powers and abilities sections? It seems necessary in order to prevent misuse.

What kind of instructions should we give regarding when it can be appropriate to use bullet point lists for powers and abilities sections? It seems necessary in order to prevent misuse.
Me personally I'd keep the max limit for bullet points to be at 15-20 abilities/resistances, but that's just me.

I don't think we should apply a hard value limit. We should just look at them on case-by-case basis.

Let people discuss it in CRT's if they want to hash out specific profiles.

Should we make it mandatory, at least for a short period of time, that if people want to switch certain files to this format, they should make a CRT for it? This way we can make sure certain files, like Popeye, don't end up looking terrible.

Should we make it mandatory, at least for a short period of time, that if people want to switch certain files to this format, they should make a CRT for it? This way we can make sure certain files, like Popeye, don't end up looking terrible.
Not a bad idea to make it mandatory, aye. Additionally means people have to get consensus with their fellow verse supporters over whether the change is bueno or not.

We would have to start a wiki management forum thread, and link to that, though, and it seems rather inefficient to discuss every single page to be revised in this manner, so I am not certain whether or not it is a good idea.

Perhaps we could simply write a rule about that bullet point lists should only be used if a powers and abilities section becomes crammed with hard-to-read explanation texts otherwise?

However, has anybody investigated how the bullet point lists, and the scroll boxes in particular, display in a mobile phone viewing format? We probably shouldn't apply something that is viewed in an incomprehensible manner for most of the visitors to our wiki.

I mean for a short period of time - Idk, a month or two, it should be fine. As Bambu said, it will be good for other verse supporters to chime in and give their input.

Okay. A rule text in combination seems best though.
However, has anybody investigated how the bullet point lists, and the scroll boxes in particular, display in a mobile phone viewing format? We probably shouldn't apply something that is viewed in an incomprehensible manner for most of the visitors to our wiki.
Also, what about this?

I don't believe tabbers or scrollboxes are displayed on a purely mobile view but using Desktop view on my mobile, both appear fine.

I can still read the Power and Abilities section on the mobile phone. It doesn't seem like as if scrollboxes are even displayed though.
Hmm. Tabbers are not displayed right in a mobile phone view, but at least you see the contents. If scrollboxes are not displayed at all for over 70% of our visitors, that is a major problem if we start to apply them in lots of popular pages, and will worsen our Google search engine optimisation even further, i.e. significantly lessen our visitor numbers.

I suppose that we likely have to forbid using them then.

I must ask, do we actually get any tangible benefits from more visitors for our pages?
We are the biggest vs debating platform anyways so (Ignoring ig the Youtube scene?)

I must ask, do we actually get any tangible benefits from more visitors for our pages?
We are the biggest vs debating platform anyways so (Ignoring ig the Youtube scene?)
I want us to continue to grow in mainstream popularity, not gradually diminish and have the international powerscaling community become completely fragmented and destroyed by causing our editors and visitors to split up to the many copycat wikis. It would completely destroy all of our efficiency and organisation as a whole, and quickly relegate what we are doing into mainstream irrelevance again.

Also, our monthly visitor numbers (that I have continuously updated to be displayed on the front page of our wiki) are actually greater than most rather big VS YouTubers currently. Although we obviously cannot properly defend ourselves in the manner that they can.

Last edited:
I want us to continue to grow in mainstream popularity, not gradually diminish and have the international powerscaling community become completely fragmented and destroyed by causing our editors and visitors to split up to the many copycat wikis. It would completely destroy our efficiency and organisation as a whole, and quickly relegate what we are doing into mainstream irrelevance again.

Also, our monthly visitor numbers (that I have continuously updated to be displayed on the front page of our wiki) are actually greater than most big VS YouTubers currently. Although we obviously cannot properly defend ourselves in the manner that they can.
Not to mention more visitors on our pages is what keeps this forum running. More visits on wiki translates to more visits here on the forum, which makes our community grow and also finances the forum costs to some extent if I'm not wrong.

I just asked our current wiki manager about the impact from scroll boxes on our search engine optimisation, and he told me that since at least 70% of our traffic comes from mobile phone users, it will likely negatively impact us in this manner, and as such also our visitor numbers.

Given this, perhaps we should only allow the usage of regular bullet point lists without scrollboxes?

@Antvasima; sorry, but that's like disallowing Tabbers because Tabbers don't work properly on mobile view either.

For the majority of profiles, scrollboxes would be unnecessary anyway so I don't mind for the most part; it was suggested by another user as a way of improving user experience but as I said, it's not wholly necessary.

Back