• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Mario Profile Split/Varies Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with a splitting process as basic as Mainline | Spin-off 1 | Spin-off 2 etc, stuff like Super and New Super sure, but there are very clear differences in some of the Mainline games, lumping them all together is dumb and doesn’t solve the problems the split is meant to
I'm alright with separating some of the main series titles, but I would like to avoid creating redundant pages which are nearly identical.

I was thinking something like
Title: Mario (3D games)

Key: 64 and sunshine | galaxy | vs dk and odyssey | 3d land / world

Although thinking about it, odyssey makes blatant throwbacks to mario bros 1 in gameplay and scenes sooo...

Last edited:
Outside of the Mini's as potential equipment, I don't think there's anything in the Vs DK games that's actually worth calcing or having their own profiles?

Nintendo lists all "mainline" games (both 2d and 3d) as the same series and to my knowledge nothing really contradicts that.

So have you all reached any conclusions here?

In any case, I think that I saw a comment that was rather rude to Medeus above, and that kind of behaviour definitely isn't appreciated. He is likely the hardest working member of this community after myself.

So have you all reached any conclusions here?

In any case, I think that I saw a comment that was rather rude to Medeus above, and that kind of behaviour definitely isn't appreciated. He is likely the hardest working member of this community after myself.
Well I think it’s gonna be option A that is applied, logistics of that being discussed right now, although maybe a fresh thread would be better? This one is very clogged up and beginning this (relatively) new discussion on a new thread might be the best way to go about it, since it’s not inherently/strictly related to what this thread is about, which is which one of the two options should be applied at all

I don't think a new thread helps, the discussion isn't over yet. We can make a new one once an option is reached to work on that option.

I feel you shouldn't be vague about which comment you're addressing, or at least state you've messaged this person outside the thread, because otherwise it's kind of unclear what the offense in question is, that you'd like toned down, and does create misassociation from users who may presume you said something against their comment that would otherwise be fine.

Well, I was distracted by real world responsibilities in the middle of checking through this thread, and then had to continue later, so I just remember that I read some comment from you before my break that seemed rather disrespectful.

There are more votes for Option A, but the major proponent for Option B to say, Medeus, hasn't responded yet, due to work and maybe my request to change his writeup abit.

So we're waiting for now, for a few days more at the very least.
Okay. No problem. There is not great hurry.

Yes I think it would be a bit unfair to move on before Medeus is able to say anything more, especially when he has made it clear that he wishes to do so.

I can't give the most proper estimate. I was possibly planning to do it yesterday, but I got side tracked with other RL activities. Likewise, I am also curious to know what @Mephistus said when he was going to give his "Two cents". Whether that would either motivate me to post faster or it works for me and I'm able to keep it brief. Or it ends up circling isn't something I have control. But my next day off from my RL job is Monday I will say.

I can't give the most proper estimate. I was possibly planning to do it yesterday, but I got side tracked with other RL activities. Likewise, I am also curious to know what @Mephistus said when he was going to give his "Two cents". Whether that would either motivate me to post faster or it works for me and I'm able to keep it brief. Or it ends up circling isn't something I have control. But my next day off from my RL job is Monday I will say.
Also, there is no pressure for you to necessarily exert yourself. While we are waiting for your reply, there seems to be enough input already in one direction, so if you feel that you're not able to take out the time right now, the thread can still go ahead with whatever is currently decided and you can make a thread later when you get time if you need something to be changed?

That is a fair deadline; if I don't post my major thoughts by then I may either post what I collected so far or just pass on attempting to possibly rebute/(Or mostly clarify give new proposal) proposals and assist in what is decided. In the mean time, we could also discuss and collect feats some individual feats for each series.

Alrighty. For the sake of feat collection, there's a very articulate and well-made series of respect threads on r/respectthreads. Obviously some higher end feats won't be there since they typically abstain from that sort of extrapolation but they are very thorough, they could be a good baseline if nobody has better ideas.

We should also come to a final conclusion as to what the series should be if we do split them.

Alrighty. For the sake of feat collection, there's a very articulate and well-made series of respect threads on r/respectthreads. Obviously some higher end feats won't be there since they typically abstain from that sort of extrapolation but they are very thorough, they could be a good baseline if nobody has better ideas.

We should also come to a final conclusion as to what the series should be if we do split them.
As I said before, I think separation based on subseries is the most logical procedure, since it doesn't involve arbitrarily deciding what goes where based purely on headcanon.

Super Mario Wiki may suggest "what the series should be if we do split them". Here is Mario's page in Super Mario Wiki, which (ignoring "Background") has separated different series. While we may need another discussion to determine this, it can be considered as a reference when we do separation works.

As I said before, I think separation based on subseries is the most logical procedure, since it doesn't involve arbitrarily deciding what goes where based purely on headcanon.
This seems to make sense to me as well.
Super Mario Wiki may suggest "what the series should be if we do split them". Here is Mario's page in Super Mario Wiki, which (ignoring "Background") has separated different series. While we may need another discussion to determine this, it can be considered as a reference when we do separation works.
That is probably a good idea.

Not to mention the very basic split of “mainline” and “spin-offs” would solve 0 of the problems with consistency the split is meant to answer

We can use that, just keep in mind both of those sources are still fan-written, so don' take their word as set in stone.
It is fan-written, right. But it is arguably the reliable source for Mario series.
I can note that Mario.Nintendo has a section of it's page noted as "The history of Super Mario" which could be used as a base for the "Super Mario" series of games or as many would call it the mainline franchise the Japanese Nintendo website also has a list of the Super Mario series of games.
It is official, I agree. The issue is that Nintendo's focus and VS Battles Wiki's focus are different. Nintendo is like "Well, I'll list all games with Mario for promotion" and continuity problem (especially in a vs debaters' sense) is not within their consideration.

One day, Imajin from Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic will be in VS Battles Wiki.

In light of the options, A is preferred by me. I'll make a new thread to change it all up again if I feel compelled to in the future.

Ok so, I'm gonna put down a list and edit it as we come to conclusions, hopefully that's fine. Will also only list all games instead of just the amount of them in case some controversy about them being included might exist. Also, I'm not gonna list series I assume most people wouldn't care for at all, like Mario Artist, or single installments that can't be linked to anything else, so you won't see Wario World or Super Mario RPG.
  • Super Mario Series
    • Super Mario Bros
      • SMB Special
      • SMB 2 (West, curiously The Lost Levels isn't here)
      • SMB 3
      • NSMB
      • NSMB Wii
      • NSMB 2
      • NSMB U (DX)
    • Super Mario Land
      • Super Mario Land 2
      • Here's an issue, the Wario Land games are in the same continuity as SML, with the first game even being called "Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3". This would cause Wario games, or at least Wario Land games, to be considered part of the same continuity. Wario Land is tackled later but just consider this.
    • Super Mario World
    • Super Mario 64
    • Super Mario Sunshine
    • Super Mario Galaxy
      • SMG 2
    • Super Mario 3D Land
      • SM3D World
      • Bowser's Fury
    • Super Mario Maker
      • SMM 2
    • Super Mario Run
    • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario Bros.
    • 5 games total
  • Wrecking Crew
    • 3 games total
  • Mario Kart
    • 15 games total
  • Mario Party
    • 25 games total
  • Mario Sports (No idea if these should all be the same series but there are compilation games that throw them together)
    • Mario Tennis
      • 10 games total
    • Mario Baseball
      • 2 games total
    • Mario Golf
      • 12 games total
    • Mario Strikers
      • 3 games total
    • Mario Sports Superstars
  • Mario & Luigi
    • Crosses over with Paper Mario, otherwise intuitive, 5 games + 2 remakes each with a new sub-story.
  • Paper Mario
    • Crosses over with Mario & Luigi, 6 games + Paper Jam
  • Donkey Kong
    • Donkey Kong
    • DK Jr
    • DK 3
    • DK Jr Math
    • DK 3 (JP only)
    • DK GameBoy
    • Mario vs Donkey Kong
      • MvDK 2: March of the Minis
      • MvDK: Minis March Again
      • MvDK: Mini-Land Mayhem!
      • MvDK: Minis on the Move
      • MvDK: Tipping Stars
      • Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge
  • Dr. Mario
    • 8 games total
  • Luigi's Mansion
    • 4 games total
  • Donkey Kong Country: Due to how Cranky Kong being explicitly the same DK as the arcades, I suggest this gets fused with the Donkey Kong arcade games
    • DKC 1
      • DKC 2
      • DKC 3
      • DKC Returns
      • DKCR Tropical Freeze
    • Donkey Kong Land (Half-remakes of the DKC games, half-new games, not to be confused with the DKC remakes on the GBA, which do introduce some new content but are otherwise actual remakes)
      • DKL 2
      • DKL 3
    • Donkey Kong 64 (Was worked on by the same team as the original trilogy, includes characters that are effectively DKC only, including fairly obscure ones like Crusha too, KKR even gets a smidge of character development with his continuous losses in DKC driving him mad)
  • DK: DK: King of Swing and DK: Jungle Climber. Includes King K. Rool and a lot more of the DKC cast, so they might be included in DKC but I dunno. Same team also worked on Donkey Kong Barrel Blast which also features a lot of the same cast making a return so uh.
  • Donkey Konga: 3 games, probably featless
  • Yoshi's Island
    • Yoshi's Island (While the "Super Mario World 2" denomination was not in the JP release, it does explicitly take place in the same Yoshi's Island that SMW starts in and is probably a prequel to it, so maybe fuse with mainline)
    • YI DS
    • Yoshi's New Island
    • Yoshi Touch 'n' Go (Same story as YI)
  • Yoshi's: (Yoshi canon is very nonexistent but these two games both have a similar plotline so I'm grouping them together)
    • Yoshi's Story
    • Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy
  • Wool Yoshi games
    • 2 games total
  • Wario Land(Again, as addressed in the SMB series, WL 1 is a sequel to SML2 so it might be the same continuity)
  • WarioWare
    • 11 games
  • Mario & Sonic
    • 9 games total
  • Mario + Rabbids
    • 2 games total
So depending on how we treat things, we're dealing with 23 to 16 continuities, plus a bunch of notable standalone games.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I dunno if Nintendo would consider a PC port of their game canon nowadays
Super Mario Bros. Special was the second Nintendo-licensed follow-up to Super Mario Bros., released around two months after Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

The above text is from the Super Mario Wiki and is available under a Creative Commons license. Attribution must be provided through a list of authors or a link back to the original article. Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros._Special
I feel that it is much more reliable than that Chinese DMC mobile games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back