• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Porygon Downgrade.

Thebluedash

VS Battles
Joke Battles
Retired
I never fully understood the scaling of him being Speed of Light because he "dodged things" in the internet. It makes no sense, first off it's an outlier. The feat itself does not make any sense. Porygon can only move like that in the internet, it's not like he can move like that in the real world. According to the Pokedex, when he goes into the internet, he himself becomes data. So, I think we should put the speed to unknown for now unless we have another feat.

And no Cal, the internet respecting Porygon is not a good reason.

I suppose that this seems reasonable.

@Cal if it's any consolation, blue and the others have a ENTIRE thread dedicated to a meme about me and it's almost at 400 comments

I can agree with this downgrade.

Although Porygon is like my favorite Pokemon of all time, having a man-made Pokemon be superior to most legendaries in speed is just ridiculous.

Actually, wait.

Data travels through the internet at exactly the speed of light. That's where it comes from.

If it can react to Pokeballs while travelling through the internet at the speed of light, then it has FTL reactions. It makes no sense to call this an outlier when it's the very thing Porygon was designed to do.

And yes, it totally can do this in the "real world". All it has to do is turn into data, which has no mass. And the Pokedex specifically states that Poryon can turn into data IN ORDER to travel through cyberspace, implying that it can very well do this in the "real world".

Do we have any proof that it can move at the same speed in the real word though? Because it's a completely different environment. Just being made of the same thing doesn't make Porygon equally fast in both environments.

For example, light travel faster trough a void than trough water. It could be something similar but to a much greater degree.

Well Digimon are literally data like Porygon and they have the exact same speeds whether they are fighting in the real world, the Digital world, etc. Porygon in this case shouldn't be any different especially when we have an implication of him being able to do it in real life.

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Well Digimon are literally data like Porygon and they have the exact same speeds whether they are fighting in the real world, the Digital world, etc. Porygon in this case shouldn't be any different especially when we have an implication of him being able to do it in real life.
Digimon and Porygon are two different species. Porygon moves in the internet while the Digital World is flat out another physical universe. We can't use that as an example.

Water slows down light because the light reflects off of the molecules. In between molecules, the light still travels at full speed. It's not being slowed down.

Besides, Porygon isn't light. It's just moving at light speed.

@AN

The fact it has to turn into data to go lightspeed would imply that it can't do that in its base, solid form. It may have the reactions in its normal form, but it definitely doesn't have the movement speed. That much is obvious from pretty much every interaction with Porygon ever seen.

It's still an outlier, he's not a legendary by any means, and slower Pokemon can fight with him.

I still agree with the OP, but no, they can't. Porygon has literally 1 episode. And that includes his evolutions. Nintendo really feats repurcussions.

Porygon being Lightspeed in data form is the equivalent of Kizaru being Lightspeed in Logia Form, it doesnt apply to its base form, which is much slower, which is why slower pokemon can keep up with it

Thebluedash said:
It's still an outlier, he's not a legendary by any means, and slower Pokemon can fight with him.
when not using data conversion. IIRC Porygon never decides to passively use it in battle because of CIS or speed stomps.

It's because Porygon never ever ever shows up again. Not because of CIS. Still an outlier though, assuming it's even legit. God, I love semantics.

I suppose that I would be fine with "Unknown. Lightspeed via data conversion that is not useful for combat purposes", or somesuch.

Porygon could use it as a form of "teleportation". On top of that, it's a form of intangibility and there's no indication that Porygon cannot use non-physical moves when in that state.

I think "Unknown, Lightspeed via data conversion" would be a good idea, as long as there is an explanation as to how the data conversion works on his page. As to how it works, I think ArbitraryNumbers makes sense.

It's purely speculation as Porygon's never used it in combat, but there's no implication that it cannot be used for combat purposes.

FTL reactions may or not be considered reasonable, though.

On one hand, it's a huge outlier for the verse as there are many Pokemon that should be far superior to Porygon and haven't displayed anything on that level.

On the other hand, Porygon is man-made with supposedly state of the art technology for the time so it'd make sense that it'd be designed to have Sci-Fi level speed feats.

Of course, all of this is just speculation.

Back