• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popeye feats

Did Popeye fight Superman?
Crossovers can’t be scaled.
That character who fought Superman is not Popeye technically.

Don’t we have that as an example of Toon Force?
No? Why would a Flight speed feat fall under Toon Force?
I would say: is toon force just a kind of reality warping power?

Iirc that’s Fourth Wall Breaking. None of these are actual AP feats.
Sounds realistic.

I'm disappointed on myself on how late I understood that. Granted Popeye had the meaning and pronunciation of his name lost from where I'm from.

In the first Popeye Caught Lightning feat, the lightning is already hitting him and then he grabs it, anyone can do that with lightning acting like that and the ability to grab it.

I would love to just leave be the Popeye Cracked a Sun feat, but with the speed we see the tree move magically making itself go from perceivable to FTL, it kinda makes more sense to think that it's like the other sun feat and the sun is just in the sky, hence the tree was suddenly able to hit it. Also, the Knuckle Joe feat was downgraded to this and it's supported.
Thanks. At least the sun cracking feat gets properly debunked.

What about the lower lightning dodging feat and the lightning punching feat (not the one where Popeye grabbed and drowned lightning)? I try to capture the projectile movement speed versus the body/hand movement speed.
This should have been a typical projectile dodging speed feat but Armor seems to prefer a more conservative approach.

It is understandable for the dodging feat, but what about the intercepting feat? Like to hear your opinion.

In the comments of the blog some people pointed out the sun in Popeye should be considered smaller than our sun.

Can someone give me the reasons the sun cracking feat was rejected???
1. Major reason: the sun looks much smaller than a real sun, making any calculation using a real sized sun inappropriate.
2. Minor: Debris flying at a certain crack spreading speed can no longer be used to calculate AP feat.
3. FTL KE speeds cannot be used. (I wonder if there should be an exception but this will be another topic)

Just... How would you here put Popeye at?

Personally I wonder should I just say "Varies from at least wall level to likely city level+, far higher with spinach" - eliminating the spinach key phase altogether.

I am about to make a final tally but I would wait and hear if I missed out some other impressive feats that can be calculated.

Last edited:
1. Major reason: the sun looks much smaller than a real sun, making any calculation using a real sized sun inappropriate.
2. Minor: Debris flying at a certain crack spreading speed can no longer be used to calculate AP feat.
3. FTL KE speeds cannot be used. (I wonder if there should be an exception but this will be another topic)

Just... How would you here put Popeye at?

Personally I wonder should I just say "Varies from at least wall level to likely city level+, far higher with spinach" - eliminating the spinach key phase altogether.
Yeah but a feat similar to that was accepted even when the sun was small (Ok K.O sun getting divided in half). Also can you just calc the length of the fracture, instead of the speed of the debris

and the FTL comes from the speed of the thing launched, not the rupture (wich doesnt use KE anyways)

(and the sun being small is just for caricaturistic purposes anyway)

In the comments of the blog some people pointed out the sun in Popeye should be considered smaller than our sun.
I would "be generous" and only do this if it makes the most sense with what happens in each feat. Just because it happens at times that the sun is small that doesn't mean that the sun in Popeye in general is always small, the joke of the sun being small may not apply always.

If we ran out of sun feats then that's too bad.
Yeah but a feat similar to that was accepted even when the sun was small.
Clearly, it's self-explanatory that this other feat you're talking about is wrong too, or at best that it holds some other context that makes it correct somehow.

Also the bugs bunny cutting florida uses Toon force and is still accepted

Yes. What about it that matters here? We're not against Toon Force, if a character uses it to do a very powerful feat then good for that, if a character uses Toon Force to have a feat claimed to be very powerful, but then when looked critically it doesn't happen what was claimed that happened, then wouldn't you know it what was claimed is wrong.

Yes. What about it that matters here? We're not against Toon Force, if a character uses it to do a very powerful feat then good for that, if a character uses Toon Force to have a feat claimed to be very powerful, but then when looked critically it doesn't happen what was claimed that happened, then wouldn't you know it what was claimed is wrong.
what

Also why the feat is wrong you have to explain, why i am wrong you cant just say "nah you are wrong" without explaining anything

Just step back and don't come back until being able evaluate everything more critically. Everything needed to be said was said, and in a very clear way, you're just not keeping up.

Just step back and don't come back until being able evaluate everything more critically. Everything needed to be said was said, and in a very clear way, you're just not keeping up.
Can you actually debunk my arguments instead of avoiding debunking my argument please. Every time i say that you came with excuses to avoid it

no offense BTW

In the feat the trunk is shot into the sky at a perceptible speed and then suddenly hits the sun, which would make perfect sense if the sun was just a small ball in the sky and be fitting to another similar feat in Popeye where the sun was just that, but if we were to take the feat as Tier 4 then the trunk shot into the sky at a perceptible, a bit slow speed suddenly became FTL from 1 frame to another to go all the way from where it was to the sun. Logically the sun hit being small and in the same area where the trunk was the frames before it hit it is the most reasonable take from the feat, based on sheer logic. I could deconstruct this even more, and I hope I don't have to.

Or the trunk just accelerated or a animation error???

Also you are putting a little to much logic in a cartoon arent you?

Your problem is that in the second part you sayed that the sun needed to be small to the trunk to damage it significantly, but is a extremlly common trope in fiction that small thinks at a extremlly fast can damage big things

Also why are we using K.E to determinate the feat if the far more impressive thing is the sun not the trunk going fast

Or the trunk just accelerated
The trunk even bounced off the sun, like when you throw a rubber ball at the wall. It clearly never even left the sky.
or a animation error???
Animation Error? How is this an animation error?
We can’t calc it because of the toon logic it follows. At least in the case of Bugs Bunny he actually sawed off Florida, here the Sun’s a giant ball in the sky with a black eye. It’s clearly not the size of an actual sun.

Also a feat that is similar case to this (use of ton force and the celestial object being alive, and the celestial object being "small") is accepted so...

Man i am refering to the cracking the sun
My apologies- I saw ‘shot through the sky’ and thought we were discussing the Giving the Sun a black eye feat, since it also revolved around launching something through the sky.

In that case, I can’t really say anything, since I can’t really find which feat y’all are talking about lol.

Do you know which episode that sun cracking feat is from?

AND stars have been consestantly protayed as being in the space

To be fair, in that same video the milky way is literally bottles of milk, and the big dipper for some reason had water in it. Also, the ship was of comparable size to the constellation, and yet in the following shot Popeye and gang were of similar size to it.

Basically, unless you want to say Olive and Pop's were the same size as stars, this same video shows that celestial bodies aren't the same as the ones in real life.

Or the trunk just accelerated or a animation error???
Again, you should just step back and don't come back until being able evaluate everything more critically, what you say here is a very low display that doesn't need to be replied to but yet you force me. Saying that the trunk accelerated clearly doesn't make the most sense next to it not doing so and reaching its target. Saying it was an animation error makes no sense as the animation makes no errors in the nonsense it shows, that is the trunk reaching a sun in the sky, it would only be an error if the feat was what you want it to be, which is isn't.
You lack the self-reflection to know that that would be you, it is you who want the trunk to have gone into space at FTL speed to then hit a real-sized sun with Tier 4 power. We just follow the same that the animation shows, which has a trunk going at some speeds into the sky to then hit a small cartoon sun there.
Also a feat that is similar case to this (use of ton force and the celestial object being alive, and the celestial object being "small") is accepted so...

You should never again in your life use as an argument that something wrong should be correct because something else wrong is taken as correct. We're not here to fix other stuff, you only know of us that we have the time and care to properly organize Popeye, not anything else. A small celestial object cannot be taken as a real-sized celestial object because logic, that is what is correct, you cannot change this, it is irrelevant what others may have decided to act.
AND stars have been consestantly protayed as being in the space

This too is very, very irrelevant. It doesn't matter. Popeye doesn't have worldbuiling that matters like this, stars clearly are always in space. What matters is that they "can" be in the sky for a gag, as it happened twice. This is like showing a video proving that a cartoon is consestantly protayed to have gravity to claim that there is a feat where a character resists said gravity or something when what really happens is much simpler. Do not be a madman and continue this conversation.

Gag also we are talking about stars not galaxy they are very differents

And that is another gag
1:28

And the point I'm getting at is that these celestial bodies aren't the same size as IRL. This doesn't really apply to ALL star/planet feats that could happen in Popeye, because the series has such a loose canon. The problem is that in these two instances, the stars are clearly not like regular stars.

You lack the self-reflection to know that that would be you, it is you who want the trunk to have gone into space at FTL speed to then hit a real-sized sun with Tier 4 power. We just follow the same that the animation shows, which has a trunk going at some speeds into the sky to then hit a small cartoon sun there.
Increadubility fallacy, just because the absurdity of the situation doesnt debunk it itself considering that is a cartoon with little to very logic

also those are very troway gags and saying that the sun is in the sky doesnt make any sense

And i was refering to the cracking sun feat not the other and it matters because we should treath them differently as popeye is incosistent with that

1:28

And the point I'm getting at is that these celestial bodies aren't the same size as IRL. This doesn't really apply to ALL star/planet feats that could happen in Popeye, because the series has such a loose canon. The problem is that in these two instances, the stars are clearly not like regular stars.
Those arent regular stars because is a gag as it a visual gag, that is why they are different to the others also there is this

You should never again in your life use as an argument that something wrong should be correct because something else wrong is taken as correct. We're not here to fix other stuff, you only know of us that we have the time and care to properly organize Popeye, not anything else. A small celestial object cannot be taken as a real-sized celestial object because logic, that is what is correct, you cannot change this, it is irrelevant what others may have decided to act.
Umm no? i was refering that the wiki uses similar feats and they are accepted, i didnt take it to "fix other stuff" i bringed it here to

Also why you were saying that the star in that case was small? the feat clearly lacks logical and there is literally no evidences to say than the star is small, that is what i am saying trying to bring logic to a gag doesnt make any sense.

So can we atleast put a probally tier or not?

Umm no? i was refering that the wiki uses similar feats and they are accepted, i didnt take it to "fix other stuff" i bringed it here to

Also why you were saying that the star in that case was small? the feat clearly lacks logical and there is literally no evidences to say than the star is small as that would be a headcanon (that is like saying A feat wich consists of destroying a mountain doesnt make sense so i will say that the mountain is the size of a house), that is what i am saying trying to bring logic to a gag doesnt make any sense.

So can we atleast put a probally tier or not?

You know what whatever you say if you want to believe than the sun is the size of a mouse then fine i am out of here chao

dont take this as a offense i am literally tired of hearing the same "No uh it make no sense even if is a gag"

Back