• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Popeye's Tiering: Where Exactly Does He Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
So, this CRT was made to discuss the tiering of Popeye. Currently, Popeye sits at 8-C without his spinach and 4-C with his spinach. The thing is, Popeye directly attributes his resistance to universal EE to eating spinach: https://www.deviantart.com/doctormoodb/journal/Popeye-tanks-the-universe-being-erased-Feat-836366273

This comic directly describes Popeye's reality as a universe, which the Big Guy can switch on and off.

There is a comic that is falsely claimed to be Popeye punching the animator. What Popeye actually does is... Throw a rock at the animator, knocking him out cold:

This is one instance of R>F shenanigans. In one of the GIFs linked in his profile under "BFR", Popeye tears the cartoon he's in apart and knocks a tribe of Native Americans out of the cartoon entirely. That ain't a hole; that's the entire cartoon snapped in half, which the animator had to fix with a safety pin. Oh, and had Popeye let go of the cartoon instead of pulled himself back in, he would've left the cartoon himself.

Another instance of R>F that I recall is Popeye getting a can of spinach directly from the audience. While it doesn't have anything to do with AP, I feel it is noteworthy since Popeye did get spinach from our reality. I should find the clip later, but iirc, a kid from the audience decided to help Popeye by grabbing a can of spinach. The kid called Popeye's name out and tossed the can to him, which Popeye grabbed from within his cartoon somehow.

There is a GIF associated to him exiting the cartoon, but the problem is... Well, I've seen that cartoon myself. That's the wrong GIF to use from the cartoon. This is the actual scene where he does that:

Basically Popeye looks nearly-dead thanks to his nephews causing him sleep deprivation when he had the idea to pull the fourth wall in, then leaving through the opening left in the fourth wall and taking his bed with him before closing the fourth wall and thus the cartoon he's in. Weirdly enough, Popeye didn't need his spinach there. The GIF y'all used was Popeye going loopy after he inexplicably heard his nephews' loud music again somehow. I wonder why the cartoon was black and white, though. I recall seeing it in color.

Where does this put him? Hmm, not sure. Our current standards would put him at Low 2-C, Low 1-C should reality actually be considered 5-D. At the same time, M-Theory, or Superstring Theory, whichever we use, was invented in 1971, meaning the animators and the comic strip artists very likely did not know what the **** 4D or anything higher were.

Whatever the case is, I think it would just be hax for Popeye without his spinach, yet straight AP for with his spinach (since Popeye, you know, punched the cartoon apart after being roided up with the Black Magic Spinach that he carries around all the time).

And so, my question here is... Would this guarantee Popeye an upgrade, or is there more that needs to be gotten before anything can be done about him?

Last edited:
I should find the clip later, but iirc, a kid from the audience decided to help Popeye by grabbing a can of spinach. The kid called Popeye's name out and tossed the can to him, which Popeye grabbed from within his cartoon somehow.

@5:53

(looks at this, Mickey's canons being connected by Maid's future CRT and Woody getting close to Low 1-C) Oh dear god, what we Looney Users have done for starting a cartoon revolution?

Following as well.

Last edited:
I don't think that the R>F here qualify well, looking at our standards in R>F. It seems to be a humorous instance of Breaking the Fourth Wall, something that often happens in cartoons like that and is not to be taken seriously like the R>F of other verses.

However, i agree that the Low 2-C rating is legit.

I think it has been generally agreed upon that Popeye would get Low 2-C for all proposals listed. Is it safe to apply these changes now?

Sure. I’ve unlocked his page.
Done. I didn't apply the Universe+ rating to his No Spinach durability because the material I provided didn't show Low 2-C durability if Popeye didn't eat his spinach. Basically every match with him had to go because they turned into stomps on an infinite level.

I applied the rating to Bluto's durability as well because he can take hits from Spinach Popeye. His matches, however... I'm not entirely sure if the durability upgrade would make his matches dura-stomps or not. Burger Beard has a significantly better chance of winning against Bluto than Gumball from what I could tell, but idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back