• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

Apologies, but.... SCANS? Like, literal scans of this book.
This kind of info could have dramatic consequences, I worry, so I feel it's important the relevant source material can be verified as real, official, & viewed in its original context.
I don't like saying the idea that I distrust you, but still, I hope you can understand why I feel a need for scrutiny here. Thank you, sorry.
It's not my info, it's info from the japanese fanbase. Don't know if lots of japanese fans would have bought the same book and commented about that stuff in the same way, but each of then created false information.

For example the whole "Lugia used telepathy to talk with Ash and mentions the events of the second movie", was in fact something that Japanese fans tweeted about, even more recently due to Lugia appearance in the new anime series.

None of the japanese fans tweeted the scans of the scenes, but all of them mentioned the same thing... So I do think that is enough at least to talk as a fun trivia about Pokémon.

I doubt that there are scans of the book out there, so the best that one can do is buy the book.

There are websites with an e-book version of the first pages of the book and if one want to check and see if these pages are in line with what the fans talk about, seems good to at least think "that seems like it's true". But I can't find any full e-book version, maybe it existed but was removed from the stores and now only the paper version can be bought. If anyone wants to buy and check information by information, is everything that can be done.

Other than that, as I said, these are just funny trivia information that I found while researching about the book. I'm of course not going to use them as the basis for anything from my upcoming blog (But I think mentioning then as a funny trivia in the blog is still valid).

It's not my info, it's info from the japanese fanbase. Don't know if lots of japanese fans would have bought the same book and commented about that stuff in the same way, but each of then created false information.

For example the whole "Lugia used telepathy to talk with Ash and mentions the events of the second movie", was in fact something that Japanese fans tweeted about, even more recently due to Lugia appearance in the new anime series.

None of the japanese fans tweeted the scans of the scenes, but all of them mentioned the same thing... So I do think that is enough at least to talk as a fun trivia about Pokémon.

I doubt that there are scans of the book out there, so the best that one can do is buy the book.

There are websites with an e-book version of the first pages of the book and if one want to check and see if these pages are in line with what the fans talk about, seems good to at least think "that seems like it's true". But I can't find any full e-book version, maybe it existed but was removed from the stores and now only the paper version can be bought. If anyone wants to buy and check information by information, is everything that can be done.

Other than that, as I said, these are just funny trivia information that I found while researching about the book. I'm of course not going to use them as the basis for anything from my upcoming blog (But I think mentioning then as a funny trivia in the blog is still valid).
I see. Well, if anyone wants to seek it out, good luck. Sadly, I'm sure not in a position to buy it, & even if I did, I'm not sure that I have a good scanner available.

It's something that is natural do to. If one doesn't have the original source, then it at best need a very good evidence that what is being said is a reliable information. In a way lots of things are accepted simply by trust, interviews that aren't video-interviews, for example, you can only trust the website that is saying "we got to talk with this person and this is what that person said".

Of course is easy to accept when is something like a very big website (Like an interview by famitsu), but not when it's by someone that isn't as big. For example, the whole "Mewtwo was blocked behind a copyright wall and that is why the Mewtwo from the first movie couldn't be mentioned in the Genesect movie, now the copyrights returned to the Pokémon Company and they can use it again" was only stated by a Pokémon fansite that got to a preview screenings and asked that to the movie's director. We got no video of that interview or anything like that. We can only trust the person behind the blog as a reliable source of information. The same goes to that interview between a fansite and a Pokémon animation staff member that got the backstory of the GS Ball revealed.

So, it isn't really a problem of "needing scans". It's, at the end the day, the highest level of of reliability because it's the work itself, anyone can see and give its own interpretation of that. non-recorded interviews without the transcript of the interviewed is already a lower level of reliability, but tends to also be accepted depending on the source.

For example, I don't think anyone has a problem with Masamitsu Hidaka with PokéBeach, it isn't a video nor a direct transcript, but no one has a problem with it. But there's a Digimon interview with "Akioshi Hongo" where he talks about a third Digimon season with Gennai's backstory, this is a obvious fake interview for various reasons.

So, it depends on what can be accepted as a reliable second source of information. This is called "apud". When you don't have the original source and uses it when you "cite a reference at second hand", it's not going to be the best source of information, but if that is the best that you can do, it's only a matter of trust.

Here a reference that isn't from the original one isn't easily accepted, but I think that depending on the degree of what that reference means to our profiles, one is more easy to be accepted than the other. For example, if is a reference made by different people and talks about the same thing, then it's easier to be accepted (IMO). For example, the "Digimon Adventure Novel" isn't translated with the original japanese raws, we only have the translation made by one person. However the information that we use is mentioned by multiple people, by japanese users and was even referenced in a interview with the original author. So it's easy to trust that is a reliable translation even when we don't have the original novel. At best some "complicated words" might be a problem here and that is why we need the original source, most of the times. It's even interesting that a single word makes so much difference here.

That Pokémon Hoopa novel thing for example, lots of japanese fans mentions it in both blogs and twitter and is just a "Lugia says 'I remember you, exceptional trainner'". We don't have the novel, but for me it's already good enough to me. But, having the original source would still be the best thing to have. So, there are cases and cases. In the end it'll all depend on the level of trust that you have with the secondary source.

I recently saw someone on Twitch play New Pokemon Snap, & learned a bit about the story.

Is it okay to discuss it, currently, in spoilers or otherwise?

I forget what the rule is for spoilers, but you should probably wait until it's actually been released worldwide lol

I'm reading some Pokémon interviews, and I found this interesting.

Famitsu: “Pokemon Quest” is the first "Pokémon" spin-off title made by Game Freak . Please tell us about the process leading up to the development.

Watanabe Tetsuya: We had been talking about creating a spin-off title for a while, but it was difficult to develop a title of the scale of the "Pocket Monster" series while also working on a derivative title. Over the past few years, however, we have developed a system that allows us to work on multiple lines at the same time, and just as I was thinking that it was time to start working on this project, art director Matsuzaki came up with the plan for this title. We presented it to the people involved and got a good response, so we decided to give it a try.

In another interview:

4Gamer: How did you come up with the idea for "Pokémon Quest" in the first place? Was this title born out of Game Freak's own development system, the Gear Project?

Watanabe Tetsuya: The GEAR project was exactly the reason why we decided to start it as a project. The gear project started in October of the year before last, and three months later we had a presentation, and it wasn't until March of last year that it was officially turned into a project. Even before the application period for the gear project started, he (Mr. Matsuzaki) had expressed his desire to create something like this, and although it wasn't bad, we were still talking about how to put it together.

4Gamer: So the projects from the Gear Project aren't just new IPs?

Watanabe: At that time, we were thinking of expanding the scope of the Gear Project itself to include more than just new IPs, and we thought this project would be a good opportunity to do so. Within the company, there are a lot of people who want to create spin-off works of "Pokemon".

I saw some people in social media talking about how Game Freak didn't work on Pokémon Spin-off, and that they don't like the idea on working on spin-offs. However the real opinion is exactly the opposite, they want to do their own Pokémon spin-offs, but they don't do because of the work of needing to do the "Pocket Monster" series. If they couldn't, they would be doing the Pokémon spin-offs by themselves. In fact having a "Pocket Monster" game that isn't made by Game Freak (The Sinnoh remakes) and a "Pocket Monster" game that far differs from the original formula (Legend Arceus) being made by Game Freak, with the whole idea being "something different from the 'Pocket Monster' series that we know about", makes me think that this is all what they were wanting from some time of doing their own spin-offs, without needing to do the core series.

I was expecting Gyarados or Dragonite to pop out, but when it turned out to be flying Blastoise, I flipped out lol

4d9dc0c0-722c-4803-b7ee-485a45a5a792

It's finally time for my first Pokémon Blog.

I still didn't finish my work, so this is just the first section of it. After I finish what I need, I'll update it. The first topic is more about the Japanese meaning of Universe and World as "all/infinite space and time" and how that related to the Gods of the Universe. It's more about Japanese/Chinese linguistics than Pokémon... but I think it helps to understand some references that were lost in translation.

This content will probably be explained in much more detail when Dr. Lava releases its content with scans and everything, but I found a japanese blog that has some content from the original Pokémon Encyclopedia made by the original creators to expand the worlview, and I couldn't wait to share this here.

First from the introduction.

ポケットモンスター(通称ポケモン)の発生は約200万年前といわれています。

初めて系統立ててポケモンの研究を行なったのは、18世紀後半のフランスの作家、タジリン伯爵です。当時ポケモンは30種類しか見つかっていませんでしたが、タジリン伯爵が記述した詳細なデータとスケッチは、後の研究の基礎となるものでした。

その後、ポケモンの研究は、フランスを拠点として、イギリス、ドイツ、スペイン、イタリアなど西ヨーロッパ全土に広がり、交通手段の飛躍的な進歩に伴なって、19世紀末には、我が国でも行なわれるようになりました。

It is said that Pokemon (commonly known as Pokemon) first appeared about 2 million years ago.

The first systematic study of Pokemon was by the French writer Count Tajirin in the latter half of the 18th century. Only 30 types of Pokemon were found at the time, but the detailed data and sketches written by Count Tajirin were the basis for later research.

After that, research on Pokemon spread throughout Western Europe, including England, Germany, Spain, and Italy, based in France, and with the dramatic progress in transportation, it began to be conducted in Japan at the end of the 19th century. I did.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As expected, "Tajirin" s a reference to Satoshi Tajiri and most of the content in the book seems to be more of a expansion of the worldview with the approach that the staff had while creating the franchise (I must say, it's very similar to what Digimon would do later). Also, the backstory in the Encyclopedia is also the one that is in the "Pokémon The Animation" novel, but very expanded. So what some thought to be just Shudo including a lot of non-sense in non-canonical novels, was in fact a natural expansion of the original setting of Pokémon that was only in the Encyclopedia. It''s very interesting... Continuing.

Now from "Dr. Oak's introduction to Pocket Monsters"

“ポケモン学”の始まりと私が彼らと出会った経緯
(前略)私はこの学問へ入る以前は、純粋な生物学の道を進んでおりました。「生物はどのように進化したのか?人間はどこから来たのか?」。こうした問を解き明かすのが、生物学であり、進化論と呼ばれるものです。(中略)
しかし、生命の進化の過程というのは検証していけばいくほど、その進化の樹からはずれた生物の存在が明らかになり、新たな生命への謎が深まっていくものです。私にとっては、その対象こそがまさにポケモンたちだったのです。ポケモンの謎を解くことが生命の進化の謎を解くことになり、ひいてはそれが「人間の根源を突き止める結果にもなり得るのではないか」。これが、私がポケモン学に身を投じることになった最大の理由であります。(後略)

The beginning of "Pokemon studies" and how I met them
(Omitted) Before I entered this discipline, I was on the path of pure biology. "How did living things evolve? Where did humans come from?" It is biology that solves these questions, which is called the theory of evolution. (Omitted) However, the more we examine the evolutionary process of life, the more the existence of living things that deviate from the evolutionary tree becomes clear, and the deeper the mystery of new life becomes. For me, that was exactly what Pokemon were. Solving the mystery of Pokemon will solve the mystery of the evolution of life, which in turn may result in locating the roots of human beings. This is the main reason why I decided to devote myself to Pokemon studies. (Omitted)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now about the Pokéballs

ポケモンとの共存を急速に促した“モンスターボール”
(前略)あれは確か1925年でしたか、我が国におけるポケモンの祖ニシノモリ教授は、オコリザルの怒りエネルギーを抽出する実験を行なっておりました。しかし、そのときすでに現役引退の歳を迎えつつあった教授は投楽量を間違え、貴重なオコリザルを衰弱させてしまいました。ところが、そのオコリザルは生存本能がそうさせたのでしょうか、そばにあった教授の老眼鏡ケースの中に自らスッポリと身を入れ、胎児のように丸まってしまったのです。この事件をきつかけとしてポケモンの捕獲カプセルの開発が進められ、同時にポケモンを捕獲する方法も確立されたのでした。その後、カプセルは改良を重ね、簡単に高い確率での捕獲が実現できる「モンスターボール」として、現在のように市販される状況となったのです。(後略)

"Monster ball" that rapidly promoted coexistence with Pokemon

It's not certain it it happened in 1925, Nishinomori, a Professor of Pokemon in Japan, had been conducted experiments to extract the anger energy from Primape. However, at that time, the professor, who was already reaching the age of retirement, made a mistake in the amount of pitching and weakened the precious Primape. However, perhaps because of his survival instinct, the Primape put himself in the reading glasses case of the professor by his side and curled up like a foetation. This incident led to the development of Pokemon capture capsules, and at the same time, a method for capturing Pokemon was established. Since then, capsules have been improved and are now on the market as "Pokéballs" that can be easily capture with a high probability. (Omitted)

This is important. I'm sure that most of you think that this lore is just something that Pokémon will never talk again and was forgotten, however it's still used. Just as early as 2016 the backstory of Nishinomori doing the first experiment that ended up as the creating of Pokéballs was mentioned in an official blog about Pokéballs. So, it's still canon. It's just that it isn't the part of the world that the Pokémon Company cares about, so references to it are very few.
In fact, another one here. From the Pokémon Gold and Silver Encyclopedia

(前略) しかし、つい最近、わたしはあることに着目しました。それは「タマゴ」の殻です。じつはポケモンのタマゴの殻は、土や植物の繊維などで作られているように思えるのです。タマゴの殻というより、どちらかといえば「巣(ポッポやオニスズメたちの住処の「巣」です)」に近いように思えます。
 これはわたしの仮説、いえ憶測でしかありませんが、もしかしたらポケモンの「タマゴ」とは、幼児を安全に育てるための「保育器」として作られたのではないでしょうか。つまりポケモンたちは、「保育器」を自分たちの手で作り、その中に生まれたばかりの子供を入れて育てている。このようには考えられないでしょうか?
もともと「タマゴ」とは、未発育の子供を安全に育てるためのものですが、もし、ポケモンたちが「タマゴ」を自ら作っているとしたら・・・・・・。
この考えに固執しているわけではありません。「ウソッキーを見て森を見ない」では、研究者として失格ですから。しかし、この憶測も視野に入れつつ、調査を続けていきたいと思います。

(Omitted) But just recently, I noticed something. It is the shell of an "egg". In fact, the shells of Pokemon eggs seem to be made of soil and plant fibers. Rather than an egg shell, it seems more like a "nest" (the "nest" as Pidgey and Spearows' homes). This is just a hypothesis or a speculation of mine, but I think that Pokémon "eggs" may have been created as incubators to safely raise infants. In other words, Pokémon make "incubators" with their own hands and put their newborn in them to raise them. Can't you think of it this way? Originally, "eggs" are used to safely raise underdeveloped children, but if Pokémon are making "eggs" themselves, it would be ...
This is not to say that I am obsessed with this idea [...]However, I would like to continue my investigation with this speculation in mind.

Also, I think that everyone knows about the Kadrabra Pokédex entry that says "It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra.", well the source of this is in fact the Pokémon Encyclopedia book, but in a entire different context

「ある朝のこと。超能力少年がベッドから目覚めるとユンゲラーに変身していた」ユンゲラーを題材にした小説『変身』が、<第2回>ポケモン文学賞を受賞したのは記憶に新しい。ピカチュウが"アイドルのポケモン"だとすれば、ユンゲラーは"玄人好みのポケモン"といえる。

"One morning, a psychic boy wakes up from his bed and finds himself transformed into Kadabra. It is still fresh in my memory that "Transformation," a novel about a Kadabra, won the second Pokémon Literature Award. If Pikachu is an "idol Pokemon", then Kadabra is a "professional favorite Pokemon".

So the Pokedéx entry is in fact an out-of-context quote of an in-universe fictional novel that simply became part of the legends of some Pokémon.
I'm sure that there are other interesting facts from the official Pokémon books that are only in Japanese and we simply never heard of.... I'm even more surprised to know that some of them were not forgotten and future material did mention such strange settings and some fans simply think that is an out of nowhere thing... while that was in fact the first attempt to expand the lore of Pokémon and the new works are simply making referente to the start of everything.

Of course the most interesting thing was to know about the story behind the study of Pokémon. "Pokémon The Animation" did make an entre expansion on that lore, but knowing that wasn't just Shudo creating something, but just the expansion of an already official setting was a surprise.

I found a full page of one of the books, here's a rough translation from them.

Pokémon Journal (ポ ケ モ ン ・ ジ ャ ー ナ ル)
Spring Edition
This article is a modified version with additional information from a recording of a lecture given by Professor Carvalho and others on the "Coexistence of Pokémon and Humans" in a lecture hall at Celadon University of the "Pocket Monsters Research Group".

Introduction to Pocket Monsters / Professor Oak

"How I found it and the start of 'Pokémon Studies'"
I believe that everyone who is here today already has a strong interest in creatures called Pokémon, or already has some of them. As I said, I also breed and research a large number of samples in the laboratory, and in fact I also have a Pikachu at home, which is very useful for my life. When I am very busy with my research and end up forgetting to pay the electricity bill and cut off the power supply, its electrical capacity is really useful.

...... Well, letting that go, let's start the story of how I related to Pokémon.

Before I chose the discipline, I was on the path of pure biology. "How do living things evolve? Where did humans come from?" It is biology that answers these questions, which is called evolution. What did you say? "Isn't the theory of evolution answered by Darwin's theory of natural selection?" Yes, you know very well, even if you are young. I used to have the same way of thinking.

However, the more I examined the evolutionary process of life, the more it became clear that there are organisms that deviate from an evolutionary tree, and the mystery of life becomes more profound. For me this is exactly where the Pokémon are. Solving the mystery of Pokémon will solve the mystery of life, which then "can result in finding the root of human beings". This is the main reason why I decided to devote myself to studying Pokémon.

The history of Pokémon studies is incredibly old, and many researchers in the past were investigating (See page 8 of this book), and this has become the respectable academic subject we have today. In addition, the 150 species and genera that our laboratory has identified so far are undoubtedly the largest recorded in the world, not only in terms of quantity, but also in terms of ecological classification, preferences, evolution, etc.

Professor Yukinari Ohkido (Samuel Oak): After graduating from the Department of Science at Tokyo University, and working as a researcher in the Department of Biology, he is now a professor at the Department of Pocket Monsters at Celadon University. He is a leader in the world of modern Pokemon research
For anyone doubting about the validity of this book, the full name of Professor Oak was first revealed here before it got used in the manga, anime and games. So it's a valid source of information.
The "Pokéballs" that rapidly promoted coexistence with Pokemon

Many people in the world think of Pokemon as just pets or terrifying monsters, but this is a big misunderstanding. First of all, "Pokemon aren't from a a race called Pokemon." I want you to remember this. "So what is it? It's a Pokemon." Oh, there, young lady, you just laughed, didn't you? Let me explain. A Pokémon is a Pokémon and not a Pokémon. In other words, Pokémon is not a single species, but a group of unexplainable creatures outside the evolutionary tree, collectively called "Pokémon.

However, even though Pokémon are made up of multiple species, they have a lot in common. A typical example of this is the ability to store in a capsule. Some Pokémon are extremely violent when they are active, but when their physical strength is extremely low or they are asleep, their violent nature is overshadowed, and they can be stored in a Pokéball.

I'm not sure if was exactly in in 1925, but Professor Nishinomori, the founder of Pokémonology in Japan, was conducting an experiment to extract the anger energy of the Primape. However, the professor, who was already retiring from active duty at that time, made a mistake in his dosage and weakened the precious Primape. However, perhaps because of his survival instinct, the Primape put himself in the reading glasses case of the professor by his side and curled up like a fetus. This incident led to the development of Pokemon Capture Capsules, and at the same time, a method for capturing Pokemon was established. Since then, capsules have been improved and are now on the market as "Pokéballs" that can be used for easy captures with a high probability.
This is another point about the book still being used. The origin of the modern Pokéballs by Professor Nishimori has been used in a recent Pokémon blog in 2016 by a scientist. So the information here is still valid, it's just that it's underused.
What is a Pokémon ? This mysterious life dates as back as 2 million years

Nowadays, Pokémon live with us humans. You can pet them as pets instead of dogs or cats. You can also use Pikachu to generate your own electricity like I do. There are also reports that the "Cut" ability of an Ivysaur helped forest development. What sets them apart from normal animals or beasts is that they have these special abilities. Some of these abilities are unique to each of them, while others are reminiscent of the skill machines developed by researchers.

Unfortunately, my research has not yet been able to explain why Pokémon have these special abilities. It is probably something that Pokémon creatures have accumulated as memories deep in their cells at the DNA level in the course of two million years, in preparation for the day when they will coexist with us humans.
As this is a Gen 1 book, the "2 million years" is outdated from recent Pokémon profiles. It was used in the anime and some merchandising before new Fossil Pokémon showed older Pokémon

Last edited:
After that, research on Pokemon spread throughout Western Europe, including England, Germany, Spain, and Italy, based in France, and with the dramatic progress in transportation, it began to be conducted in Japan at the end of the 19th century. I did.
What are these strange locations you speak of? Do you mean Galar and Kalos?

Last edited:
The scan is very valuable, & much appreciated. How was that image discovered?
Also, if his name being posted in it predates the games, which were the first work of Pokemon media, would it not be considered promotional material?

The scan is very valuable, & much appreciated. How was that image discovered?
Also, if his name being posted in it predates the games, which were the first work of Pokemon media, would it not be considered promotional material?
It's from the Pokémon Encyclopedia (That is Pokédex) book that was released a few months after the first games. It was made with help of Game Freak in order for them to show the world of Pokémon. Info from the book, an others, is used lots of times in the new Pokédex entries. I have some examples, but new Pokedex entries first appeared in these books before they got added int the core games (Like the Kadabra one)

About the name, the original source is the book. The name then got used in manga and novels, the Celebi movie and finally was used in the games in Sun/Moon.

--The fact that it hasn't changed in 20 years is another part of the charm! So, are there any differences between the TV anime and the movies?

In the TV anime, if you fall from a high place, you only get a human-shaped hole, but in the movie, if you fall from a high place, you get injured, so the movie has a little more reality. For example, I don't do the scene where the Rocket Movie say something and then glow and disappear, unless it's a scene that has something to do with the development of the story. In that case, the pinch does not become a pinch, but anything becomes possible. In the TV series, I want to keep the fun parts of the animation, from gags to seriousness, but in the movie, I want Ash to overcome the crisis as a real person.

Source

So the superhuman feats in the anime are just for gag moments

Last edited:
It's from the Pokémon Encyclopedia (That is Pokédex) book that was released a few months after the first games.
I did not mean what is the source of the content shown in the image. My inquiry is more like "How & why did such a seemingly elusive book get documented on Imgur, & is there more in the gallery that just that one page's scan?"
It was made with help of Game Freak in order for them to show the world of Pokémon.
I can readily put good faith in you that what you say is true, but I am inherently biased towards scrutiny, & for that, I apologize. Thus, I ask: Source on this claim, please?

Also, what name specifically, does the book claim as Oak's real name?
So the superhuman feats in the anime are just for gag moments
That's an unpleasant notion. Nonetheless, I'd assume the anime is still canon, & it being consistently cartoonish in spite of the creator's words about showing things more realistically in the movies gives them less weight; If the world is portrayed as such so often, isn't that how it is?
Not to mention we often give priority to feats over statements.

(Also, I question their motive; Wanting a movie to have something so stereotypically grandiose as "overcoming a crisis as a real person" is understandable, but they want to keep the fun of animation, but movies tend to have higher animation budget. If you wanted to have fun with art & animation, I feel like a movie would have greater opportunities for such.)

Also, I just found an interesting information. It's from the booklet of (「ルビー・サファイア ミュージックスーパーコンプリート」), the Q&A section.

Q: What were Groudon and Kyogre fighting over long ago ?
A:They didn't actually fight. The planet's surface was created by tectonic movement, but people say that the two animals created it.

And... This was not forgotten. It has in fact being mentioned in a recent Pokémon text

"In the the long history of the Hoenn region there are many legends. In mythology, the Pokémon that created the sea is called "Kyogre. And Groudon is said to have created the land. They have been battling each other for many years, with Kyogre sleeping at the bottom of the ocean and Groudon sleeping in the underground magma. The battle between the two was overseen by the Pokémon Rayquaza, which is said to have lived in the ozone layer for hundreds of millions of years. However, there is a theory that the battle between the two Pokémon described in the myth is a "creation of the ancients," and it is a mystery as to why they went to sleep."

It's interesting to know that some settings are still being used in some places, even with that not being the focus.

Last edited:
i mean i can't agree with all of them being gag moments as
1. This is a 20 year old encyclopedia
2. Ash has done superhuman feats without gag moments and to this day (Literally in the first fossil pokemon episode in Pokemon journeys while others are having a hard time lifting smaller rocks and bringing them over, ash casually yeets a boulder that looked to be a good 50kg over his head a good 2.5-3 meters.)
3. This talks about anime, not the games, not the manga and not the spin-offs all of which displau superhuman characteristics.

i mean i can't agree with all of them being gag moments as
1. This is a 20 year old encyclopedia

That isn't from the encyclopedia. The source is an interview with the director of the Pokémon movies and anime about the "I Choose You" movie.

And please, what I said about the feats was just a joke. Don't take everything that I say that seriously.

Talking about Kyogre and Groudon, there is this interesting text from ORAS.

"PROJECT AZOTH File No. 1 The goal of Project AZOTH is to return the world—return everything—to the beginning. In order to further the project, we must proceed with research on Groudon's Primal ReversionOR/Kyogre's Primal ReversionAS. Primal Reversion is a potential of Pokémon Evolution, a potential different from Mega Evolution. Mega Evolution is made possible by the energy of people and Pokémon. Primal Reversion is made possible by natural energy. In Primal Reversion, GroudonOR/KyogreAS absorbs natural energy into its body, thereby increasing its power dramatically. Both states significantly enhance Pokémon's power: the difference lies in the source of the required energy."

"PROJECT AZOTH File No. 2 We intend to analyze the power of the ultimate weapon used in Kalos 3,000 years ago and work on the development of a drill weapon utilizing the technology. The Seafloor Cavern is sealed by the power of a Legendary Pokémon. The only way to gain access to the cavern is to break the seal with power that exceeds that of the Pokémon. According to the report from the Petalburg recon team, Devon Corporation holds the secret of the technology of the ultimate weapon. We will dedicate all our resources to obtain this technology."

idk, it's interesting

I did not mean what is the source of the content shown in the image. My inquiry is more like "How & why did such a seemingly elusive book get documented on Imgur, & is there more in the gallery that just that one page's scan?"
That is my upload at Imgur because I always upload the scans because I want to save them from being forgotten. I found some scans searching for the book in google with the Japanese name and seeing if I could find something. That one that I found looked like a Japanese 4chan-like community with some fans sharing their thoughts and some scans. The full scan was the and I could verify that it was the same text from the source that I found earlier, but the entire text. So, just good source. Dr. Lava got lots of scans from the book and translated it and published on its Patreon. So one would need to or but the book, try to find more scans in the internet, or try to support his patreon and verify with his scans. He said that he wants to do a Youtube video with the content, so maybe we just need to wait for him.

I can readily put good faith in you that what you say is true, but I am inherently biased towards scrutiny, & for that, I apologize. Thus, I ask: Source on this claim, please?
I couldn't find the author name in a store, but the blog that I found the texts stated that the book is Akihito Tomisawa "とみさわ昭仁氏", who works at Game Freak is a writer for the games and other things. Along with the interviews and everything else, this is really just a book made by people from Game Freak itself.

Other than that we have an interview with Ken Sugimori when he stated that he needed to do all the official Pokémon illustrations for that book and was from there that everything else was made.

ー最初に公式イラストが必要になったのって、 何のためだったんでしょう?

杉森 『ポケモン赤・緑』の最初の攻略本で、アスペクトから出た『ポケットモンスター図鑑』に全ポケモンのイラストを掲載したいと 言われて描いたのが最初ですね。でも、その段階ではポケモンの原画ってドット絵しか存在しなかったので、そのドット絵から全部自分の絵として描き起こしていったんです。ちょっと気にくわないところは修正したりして(笑)それで全部自分のキャラクターらしくしたのが、以後、僕がすべてのポケモンのテイストを統一させるようになったきっかけですね。/『杉森建の仕事』(2014)

-What was the reason you first needed the official illustrations?

Sugimori: The first time I drew Pokémon was for the first strategy book for "Pokémon Red and Green," when Aspect asked me to include illustrations of all Pokémon in their "Pokémon Illustrated Book. But at that stage, the only original Pokémon drawings were the dots, so I started from those dots and drew them all as my own. I corrected the parts I didn't like a little bit (laughs), and made them all look like my own characters, and that's how I came to unify the tastes of all Pokémon. / "The Work of Ken Sugimori" (2014)

Alongside the fact that content from this book, and others made in the same way, are still being used for some Pokémon texts and even have references to that in the games (Such as Oak's name, the one about Pokémon eggs) shows that the books are still used.

Also, what name specifically, does the book claim as Oak's real name?
It's in the text that I translated. Yukinari Ohkido. With Ohkido being "Oak's name in Japanese and Yukinari being the name younger professor Oak from the Celebi movie (Translated as Sam in the dub, so Oak is called Samuel Oak). It was also used in The Electric Tale of Pikachu, Pocket Monsters: The Animation (Novel written by Takeshi Shudo) and Pokémon Adventures before it got mentioned in the games.

That's an unpleasant notion. Nonetheless, I'd assume the anime is still canon, & it being consistently cartoonish in spite of the creator's words about showing things more realistically in the movies gives them less weight; If the world is portrayed as such so often, isn't that how it is?
Not to mention we often give priority to feats over statements.

(Also, I question their motive; Wanting a movie to have something so stereotypically grandiose as "overcoming a crisis as a real person" is understandable, but they want to keep the fun of animation, but movies tend to have higher animation budget. If you wanted to have fun with art & animation, I feel like a movie would have greater opportunities for such.)
Don't know how you got that idea. That has nothing to do with canon or anything like that. Two works in the same setting can do different things and both of them still being canon. it's just about how the movies tries to be more serious and have more focus on a more realistic setting than the anime, nothing more. And again, this is just a joke. That is why I putted my word with the line.

Alright, thank you for the clarification with your answers.
(As an aside, I, personally, somewhat dislike the notion they expressed where the movies should focus on being more "real" & the implied sentiment that films should focus on the characters as "real people", & such, since I think that I find such elements to stories less entertaining.)

Also, I just found an interesting information. It's from the booklet of (「ルビー・サファイア ミュージックスーパーコンプリート」), the Q&A section.

Q: What were Groudon and Kyogre fighting over long ago ?
A:They didn't actually fight. The planet's surface was created by tectonic movement, but people say that the two animals created it.
I can't believe this, but I found the entire Q&A, so I'll put it here and translate so this info isn't lost.

Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire
Big fan questions
Many mysteries remain like that even after passing the Hall of Fame. I tried to ask Junichi Masuda, the director of "Pokémon Ruby&Saphire", about the secrets that every Pokémon fan are interested with.

Q: Where is the Hoenn region ?
A: It's located at the far south of the Kanto and Johto regions. How to get there from Kanto and Johto is still a secret.

Q: Asuna's (Flannery) grandfather seems to have been one of the Elite Four, but who is he ?
A: He does not appear in the game. It's also a different Elite Four member from the ones that appeared in "Red&Green" and "Gold&Silver"

Q: What happened to Team Magma and Team Agua after the anger of Groudon and Kyogre was stoped ?
A: They caused a natural disaster and went out somewhere with the question if they were wrong or not.

Q: It's true that the Champion Steven and Devon's president Stone are real father and son ?
A: They are father and son. Both of them have the hobby of collecting stones and hints are written in a letter placed at Steven's house after you pass the Hall of Fame.

I also think that I found a scan with the information about Taijirin and the origin of Pokémon research from the Pokémon Encyclopedia. I'll verify and look for a translation later.

And it's here, the introduction of the Pokémon Encyclopedia that documents information about first gen Pokémon explaining their Pokédex entries in-universe with real in-universe research and interviews. This introduction would later be used as the basis for the explanation about Pokémon in the "Pokémon The Animation" written by Takeshi Shudo that expanded the world of the anime using the official settings as the basis.

Introduction

It is said that Pocket Monsters (commonly known as Pokémon) first appeared about 2 million years ago.

The first systematic study of Pokemon was by the French writer Count Tajirin in the late 18th century. Only 30 types of Pokemon were found at the time, but the detailed data and sketches written by Count Tajirin were the basis for later research.

Later, the study of Pokémon spread from France to England, Germany, Spain, Italy, and other parts of Western Europe, and by the end of the 19th century, with the rapid progress of transportation, it was also conducted in Japan. Professor Nishinomori is said to be the founder of Pokémonology in Japan.

In 1899, Professor Nishinomori published a paper entitled "A Study on the Evolution of Pikachu," in which he revealed that two types of Pokémon, which had been thought to be different, were actually the same species and had evolved.

This achievement puts Pokemon research into a new stage, and Professor Nishinomori has gained worldwide acclaim. Since the publication of this paper, Japan has come to be called the most advanced country in Pokemon research. By the way, around this time, 80 kinds of Pokemon have been found.

As of 1996, 150 types of Pokémon have been discovered through Professor Oak's surveys and research, and their ecology, evolution, and preferences are being clarified. Based on Professor Oak's data, this book classifies the 150 Pokémon currently found by habitat, such as grasslands, mountains, and waterside.

Back