• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

Alien Pokémon are considered sentient too. Cleffa can build a spaceship, Starmie’s Starmie, and Elgyem/Beeheem can mindHax entire towns and communicate freely, some even having Precog. Then again, most Aliens are Psychic anyways, so \(‘-‘)/
What do you mean Starmie's Starmie?
I don't see entries about its intelligence, & we have no idea of the complexity level of the radio waves it releases to space.

Having a communication system or knowing where you're from & attempting to contact those where you're from isn't THAT intelligent; A wolf or dog usually knows it's way home, & may howl at the moon or in the general direction of its comrades, when separated from its pack.

I did find many of its entries interesting, though.

GoldThe center section of its body is called the core. It glows in a different color each time it is seen.
Explanation of the "seven-colored" terminology useage?
CrystalIt is said that it uses the seven-colored core of its body to send electric waves into outer space.
Other entries specify radio waves. Also, the only entry that mentions the 7-colouredness alongside the waves.
EmeraldPeople in ancient times imagined that STARMIE were transformed from the reflections of stars that twinkled on gentle waves at night.
Possible origin other than space. Also, Starmie has been known to people since ancient times?
SunIts shining core is thought to receive and transmit enigmatic signals. It has been known to cause headaches in those who approach it.
Kadabra also causes headaches with waves & Alakazam does so with its overflowing psychokinetic powers. Psyduck is similar for obvious reasons, & Elgyem & Bruxish also cause headaches with their Psychic powers.
MoonIts unusual body shape, reminiscent of abstract art, led local people to spread rumors that this Pokémon may be an invader from outer space.
GF implying Starmie may NOT be from space? Seems to be a rehash of FireRed's entry, though.
Ultra SunIts sparkling core is called “the gem of the sea.” This core can be made into high-priced accessories that are traded in secret.
Ultra MoonIt rotates its geometrically shaped body to swim through the water. It always seems to be sending out mysterious radio waves.
Previous entries mentioned the radio waves being sent into the "night sky", but this implies it's releasing them even during day & evening.
SwordThis Pokémon has an organ known as its core. The organ glows in seven colors when Starmie is unleashing its potent psychic powers.
Starmie's powers are described as potent. Also, first mention of its Psychic powers in Pokedex entries, & it's mentioned in relation to the core, mentioned to release radio waves. Regarding this core :
Let's Go Pikachu
Let's Go Eevee
The center section is named the core. People think it is communicating when it glows in seven colors.
The first entry to mention communication alongside glowing.
ShieldStarmie swims by spinning its body at high speed. As this Pokémon cruises through the ocean, it absorbs tiny plankton.
Does Starmie eat? What does it need this biomass for? Also, plankton exist in the Pokemon world! Non-Pokemon organisms!

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of those fake school yard pokémon rumours such as; Mew being under the truck, Starmie evolving into "Starus" and many more...

Kinda reminds me of those fake school yard pokémon rumours such as; Mew being under the truck, Starmie evolving into "Starus" and many more...
You're reminded of that by the claim that its alien status is from rumours locals found its geometric body shape odd?

Last edited:
In any case, I doubt anyone has any opinion on the entries above.
& I'd presume Pokemon like Psyduck, Kadabra, Alakazam, Starmie & Bruxish having their psychic powers associated with or causing of headaches isn't sufficient to give headache inducement to most/all Psychic-type moves/Pokemon?

Headache inducement is a mixture of mind and pain manipulation (the former ability most if not all psychic type mons have access to) so it wouldn't be a stretch for the above mentioned mons to get this ability but applying it to all psychic types is a whole different debate (that tbh would likely get rejected).

It isn't Organic Manipulation or such? (Not Body Puppetry or something?)
Also, I always forget: Where is Psychic type Mind Manipulation from, since pretty much all the attacks are described as telekinesis or energy attacks, with the few Mind stuff moves being Status Moves?

IIRC it comes from the various showings of illusions, telepathy, perception manipulation etc that psychic types (and comparable ghost types) have shown in the anime and manga.

Ofc (like you said) you've got the status moves in game such as mind reader, amnesia, calm mind as well as the confusion status effect.

Yeah, agreed. Although, I still find it odd to say Psychics have offensive Mind Manipulation, other than Hypnosis's Mind Control/Sleep Manipulation.

& Confusion is only like, 10 or 20% on the move Confusion (Which would be more accurately named "Weak telekinetic force".) & Psybeam. So not even that frequent, & as a side-effect, no less.

Unimportant, but entertaining & Pokemon related:

I'm not sure I'd want to spend 31 & a third days waiting for 2 Leppa Berries (Every 16 hours.) just so Larvitar can Hyper Beam a Goldeen before it faints, since it fainting imprisons you on Pacifidlog Town.
I mean, sure, you get a Larvitar, but I'm not sure if I'd like spending a month stuck waiting in 1 spot so I don't get stranded at a sea town for the rest of my life.

What do you mean Starmie's Starmie?
I don't see entries about its intelligence, & we have no idea of the complexity level of the radio waves it releases to space.

Having a communication system or knowing where you're from & attempting to contact those where you're from isn't THAT intelligent; A wolf or dog usually knows it's way home, & may howl at the moon or in the general direction of its comrades, when separated from its pack.

I did find many of its entries interesting, though.

GoldThe center section of its body is called the core. It glows in a different color each time it is seen.
Explanation of the "seven-colored" terminology useage?
CrystalIt is said that it uses the seven-colored core of its body to send electric waves into outer space.
Other entries specify radio waves. Also, the only entry that mentions the 7-colouredness alongside the waves.
EmeraldPeople in ancient times imagined that STARMIE were transformed from the reflections of stars that twinkled on gentle waves at night.
Possible origin other than space. Also, Starmie has been known to people since ancient times?
SunIts shining core is thought to receive and transmit enigmatic signals. It has been known to cause headaches in those who approach it.
Kadabra also causes headaches with waves & Alakazam does so with its overflowing psychokinetic powers. Psyduck is similar for obvious reasons, & Elgyem & Bruxish also cause headaches with their Psychic powers.
MoonIts unusual body shape, reminiscent of abstract art, led local people to spread rumors that this Pokémon may be an invader from outer space.
GF implying Starmie may NOT be from space? Seems to be a rehash of FireRed's entry, though.
Ultra SunIts sparkling core is called “the gem of the sea.” This core can be made into high-priced accessories that are traded in secret.
Ultra MoonIt rotates its geometrically shaped body to swim through the water. It always seems to be sending out mysterious radio waves.
Previous entries mentioned the radio waves being sent into the "night sky", but this implies it's releasing them even during day & evening.
SwordThis Pokémon has an organ known as its core. The organ glows in seven colors when Starmie is unleashing its potent psychic powers.
Starmie's powers are described as potent. Also, first mention of its Psychic powers in Pokedex entries, & it's mentioned in relation to the core, mentioned to release radio waves. Regarding this core :
Let's Go Pikachu
Let's Go Eevee
The center section is named the core. People think it is communicating when it glows in seven colors.
The first entry to mention communication alongside glowing.
ShieldStarmie swims by spinning its body at high speed. As this Pokémon cruises through the ocean, it absorbs tiny plankton.
Does Starmie eat? What does it need this biomass for? Also, plankton exist in the Pokemon world! Non-Pokemon organisms!
If plankton exists then that means animals exist in the pokemon world.
since plankton are animals.

If plankton exists then that means animals exist in the pokemon world.
since plankton are animals.
I feel bad answering this like this, but.... Well, Google's definition for "plankton" is:
"the small and microscopic organisms drifting or floating in the sea or fresh water, consisting chiefly of diatoms, protozoans, small crustaceans, and the eggs and larval stages of larger animals. Many animals are adapted to feed on plankton, especially by filtering the water."

Diatoms are single-celled algae, & algae... "Algae are photosynthetic creatures. They are neither plant, animal or fungi. Many algae are single celled, however some species are multicellular. Many, but not all of red and brown algae are multicellular."

So what animals are implicated by this, if any, depends if this plankton is exclusively diatoms, I guess. The rest seem to be animals.
There's also phytoplankton, which are mostly microscopic plants.

So it depends on however much of the "plankton" GameFreak mentions is what kind of what kind of (phyto)planktons, I guess.
Theoretically, since it can be small crustaceans, there could be some species of Pokemon that are plankton, since it includes small crustaceans & eggs. Heck, the mola mola, infamous for producing the most eggs at once & being able to grow to 3,000 kg, is bizarrely, called plankton by some scientists:
Plankton also includes jellyfish.

Quote Wikipedia: "Plankton are defined by their ecological niche and level of motility rather than by any phylogenetic or taxonomic classification. Technically the term does not include organisms on the surface of the water, which are called pleuston—or those that swim actively in the water, which are called nekton."

Whether or not there are (nearly) microscopic Pokemon amongst the plankton or not, I don't know, but there have been Pokemon like Joltik, as small as 10 cm.

Hey , so, I noticed something. Arceus’ page is listed as Omnipresent. But the Scan’s from Mystery Dungeon, which is being thrown out As non-canon to the main storyline. Is there another Omnipresence Feat/Statement, or is Arceus’ Speed getting Yeeted down to Relativistic?

(Also, has the Mystery Dungeon thing even been actually done yet?)

Pretty sure I was told that Mystery Dungeon feats were fine to use as long as we did not use said canon for breaking continuities?

Cal even agreed that they would still be used.

The Original Spirit's Omnipresence comes from being just that, The Original Spirit that exists in all people and Pokémon across the Pokéverse. The Creation Trio being included, which is from information from the Core Games.

I still think it's the funniest shit that Team Rocket can make a robot Pikachu that 100% resembles a Pikachu in every physical way, but can't get the voice right

I still think it's the funniest shit that Team Rocket can make a robot Pikachu that 100% resembles a Pikachu in every physical way, but can't get the voice right
More context? I'm interested in how they achieved this & what aspects of Pikachu it imitated.

No clue lol. It feels like Pikachu, looks like Pikachu, and can act like any wild Pikachu.

Though I think the idea that Meowth had to also create Near-Perfect Pikachu's robo-junk funny

I'm pretty sure it falls under the rule of not using numerical values from games, otherwise you could make a lot of shenanigans by comparing numbers and making comparisons between them

I'm pretty sure it falls under the rule of not using numerical values from games, otherwise you could make a lot of shenanigans by comparing numbers and making comparisons between them
Well, the point of the blog seems to be to point out that every Pokemon is at least above this value, at a minimum, as far as I can tell.

Yes, but you can use the same argument to say that the mine is half as strong as the attack of this Blastoise, and countless of similar examples with different cards that have different values for HP, attack power etc...
It's akin to why we don't use in-game stats.

Yes, but you can use the same argument to say that the mine is half as strong as the attack of this Blastoise, and countless of similar examples with different cards that have different values for HP, attack power etc...
It's akin to why we don't use in-game stats.
I mostly think that's a reasonable stance to take (Dodrio & Linoone's base speeds are great examples of the issue, for example.), but I am still curious:
What of arguing only that the Blastoise's attack is unquantifiably superior to the land mine & the mine is the tier it is & all Pokemon are above it?
Also, that Blastoise's attack does 40 damage at a minimum.

It means that an attack with 60 of power is unquatifiably superior to Blastoise's attack and so on each time we add 20 or even just 10 points.
That also means that Blastoise's dura is equal to 5 times this "unquantifiable" value, as well as his base attack is less than half his dura.
And you can make these jokes with everything, like this Pidgey whose attack is unquantifiably weaker than a 9-A mine.
Like the 220 of this Blastoise, is several times unquantifably superior to 9-A in a scale where 40 might be equal to 7-A if we cherrypick the values comparison.

It mean that an attack with 60 of power is unquatifiably superior to Blastoise's attack and so on each time we add 20 or even just 10 points.
That also means that Blastoise's dura is equal to 5 times this "unquantifiable" value, as well as his base attack is less than half his dura.
And you can make these jokes with everything, like this Pidgey whose attack is unquantifiably weaker than a 9-A mine
We can't assume the attack with a power of 60 from another Pokemon is comparable in such circumstances?
& I said just Blastoise being unquantifiably above the land mine. Or rather, the land mine's Small Building Level yield is known to be SBL, but vastly below the Pokemon's attack power by an unknown (But still great) amount?

Last edited:
It's totally subjective, I could even say that the mine is twice Pidgey's AP, and so being 8-A.
And we are still making up different assumptions, trying to give a sense to something that is purposely made to not have one, aside balancing a game.
And it's not just about Blastoise, several Mr. Mime have 10 as damage, making them below Pidgey and said mine.
Or again, I can just pick any of the hundreds card that exist and arguing about using them to make tiers, ignoring the fact that even the same Pokemon may have inconsistent values in attack, def etc... because it's meant to be a game mechanic.
Charmeleon is now 7-A because it has an attack superior to Blastoise's, and many other have 40. Then we go down with the scaling between each Pokemon, and chaos is made.
Yu-Gi-Oh has a High 4-C monster with 0 atk and 0 def, but that doesn't make any monster with at least 1 atk/def point High 4-C

Fair enough. Thanks for indulging this topic. Mostly brought it up because of that blog.
Though, what about the concept of the card, independent of the gameplay?
The name & art says a lot. Team Rocket apparently has a Pokemon Gym filled with land mines. So should we assume land mines are capable of harming most Pokemon, since it seems like Team Rocket uses them in a Gym, a place specifically for Pokemon Battles to happen?

I remember a very long discussion about cards in the old forum, and it was used to give Arceus some powers, but now they have been removed because they were an unrealiable mix of flowery words and game mechanics.
It was agreed (and maybe discarded later, I don't remember) to use only specific cards that were related to a promotional manga due to them having a storyline behind, but I think thay are gone now.
Even with the gym, that's still an assumption and doesn't mean that mines can't cause nuisance of even small to bigger damage to Pokemon depending on their condition, it may even be an outlier or just the fact that the artist of the card thought that mines were something that would have hurt the Pokemon.
It's just a long series of subjective assumptions based on the drawing of a card that comes from a game that we don't consider as usable, definitively something that can't be universally used a durability stat.

I remember a very long discussion about cards in the old forum, and it was used to give Arceus some powers, but now they have been removed because they were an unrealiable mix of flowery words and game mechanics.
It was agreed (and maybe discarded later, I don't remember) to use only specific cards that were related to a promotional manga due to them having a storyline behind, but I think thay are gone now.
Even ignoring the effect text, card names & art are unusable?
Not to argue it's the case here, but what about in card art that depicts feats happening?
Even with the gym, that's still an assumption
An assumption? Why use land mines other than to hurt things? & Pokemon gyms are pretty much never used for anything BUT Pokemon battles.
and doesn't mean that mines can't cause nuisance of even small to bigger damage to Pokemon depending on their condition, it may even be an outlier or just the fact that the artist of the card thought that mines were something that would have hurt the Pokemon.
Significant or not, I'm not 100% sure the person who drew the art & the person who named the card are one & the same.

I guess the art can be used, imo.
It's still an assumption, just as we assume those mines are 9-A, while many mines are just 9-B, or they might even be stronger due to being made with the purpose of dealing damage to super monsters. It may still be an outlier like Marowak being killed by an electric baton in some animation (Origins, I think).
The creator of the card was just an example of the many we can make.

Back