• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Discussion Thread - Red & Blue arc

i've edited 20 profiles (+2 if we count dragonair and rhyhorn). I'll be slowly editing profiles bit by bit until im done. I'll try to push 20-30 profiles a day

i've edited 20 profiles (+2 if we count dragonair and rhyhorn). I'll be slowly editing profiles bit by bit until im done. I'll try to push 20-30 profiles a day
Sheesh.....

There are leaks about possibly over a 100 new mons.

Whoever is going to be doing the job of adding their profiles has some real work cut out for them

Sheesh.....

Whoever is going to be doing the job of adding their profiles has some real work cut out for them
i believe that it is time to simply shorten the number of mons added. We don't need 50 profiles for each gen. I'd say, starters, regional bird and rodent, pikachu clone, pseudo-legendaries, fan-favorites and legendaries+mythicals+regional trio should be the ones added

Anyways, Ash's Lucario is getting op. Probably more OP than Kalos Ash-Greninja (obviously not current AG since that guy has been training so hard he curb-stomped Ash's mega lucario who fought off a g-max machamp after already fighting grappoloct). Base Lucario threw what was basically a genkidama of an aura sphere where he gathered the thoughts of all his friends and seemingly their auras and practically one-shot duraladon. He did hit it with aura spheres before but it literally left no scratches, on the other hand, this "gigantamax aura sphere" one-shot it.

Don't overwork yourself.
What abilities is attract from Pokémon? Can it be resisted?
This reminds me that I laugh about how bad Cute Charm is. Even in Pokemon.

Pokemon are all Male, Female or Gender Unknown (Yes, Gender Uknown, not Genderless, I am quite ready to explain this to anyone who questions.). Even assuming Gender Unknown Pokemon make up a minority, that's still a "Worse than a coin flip" chance; Calling it 50% is being generous.
Infatuation can only occur if the victim is the opposite gender, & always fails if any Gender Unknown Pokemon is involved.

So you have a less than 50% chance that the Infatuation user & their intended victim actually have matching genders to inflict Infatuation.

But wait, Cute Charm!
Even when foes don't know you'd have it, it still only triggers on contact. & in gameplay, it's when the would-be-Infatuation victim hits the Cute Charm user, & NOT when the Cute Charm user hits the victim.
So you're depending on your foe using a direct contact attack.
& then it only has a 30% chance of actually causing Infatuation.

& then Infatuation only has a 50% chance of actually hindering the victim once inflicted. (& disappears if either half of the Infatuation setup is defeated, or does something like switching.)
Less than 50% it's eligible activate, less than 30% chance it will activate, 50% chance it actually does anything:
The odds that Cute Charm influences a match are, at best, 7.5%.
Less than 1 in 13 times.
& even then it can just be thwarted by defeats/leaving/switching.

Of course, a lot of stuff in Versus Threads can make it better (or worse), but still.
Source/Screenshots, please?
i believe that it is time to simply shorten the number of mons added. We don't need 50 profiles for each gen. I'd say, starters, regional bird and rodent, pikachu clone, pseudo-legendaries, fan-favorites and legendaries+mythicals+regional trio should be the ones added
I'm in support of allowing for additional profiles, if people are willing to create them. Part of the unwieldyness is CRTs for Standardization haven't been fully implemented yet.
We need a template or something. Or a Pokemon profile standards blog.
Anyways, Ash's Lucario is getting op. Probably more OP than Kalos Ash-Greninja (obviously not current AG since that guy has been training so hard he curb-stomped Ash's mega lucario who fought off a g-max machamp after already fighting grappoloct). Base Lucario threw what was basically a genkidama of an aura sphere where he gathered the thoughts of all his friends and seemingly their auras and practically one-shot duraladon. He did hit it with aura spheres before but it literally left no scratches, on the other hand, this "gigantamax aura sphere" one-shot it.
I didn't see this yet, but I did recently see the episode where Goh caught Suicune.

Suicune behaved surprisingly animalistically.
Also, boy did it job hard.
Also, seeing its purification in effect was nice, too.

The cute charm probability thing is game mechanics. In the anime hitting Clefairy will induce cute charm. Applies only to the opposite sex tho

Manga treats it like the games so I dunno

Sup boys. Can anyone help me? Please check that the profiles i am revising have a "At most" before the Low 7-B rating. Last one i revised was Magneton.

I can't really tell which of the profiles you've revised. Alakazam and Slow poke have it. I don't see any changes with magneton

Say there is pokemon ability that prevents the opponent from running away will it work on other characters under SBA?
Under SBA, characters will not retreat, IIRC. But I haven't looked at SBA in a while. Was that changed recently?

Anyway, if in doubt, check the ability on Bulbapedia. Look up the ability's page there, check for appearances in the anime; Bulbapedia will have a description of how it was portrayed, & maybe an image. If you're still not sure, check the linked episode(s) the ability was portrayed in, & check for how it's portrayed in other media, such as the Manga, maybe the TCG, & side-games or such.

Say there is pokemon ability that prevents the opponent from running away will it work on other characters under SBA?
Be careful how you use that. It's subject to game mechanics. Abilities like Arena trap just traps the opponent in a big hole, so it's ability to trap characters who can teleport is invalid
Shadow tag tho, prevents fleeing. Including teleporting away, because the opponent steps on your shadow. That should work fine

Be careful how you use that. It's subject to game mechanics. Abilities like Arena trap just traps the opponent in a big hole, so it's ability to trap characters who can teleport is invalid
IIRC, Arena Trap in gameplay also doesn't affect Pokemon who are Flying-type or have the ability Levitate, so that information should be considered, even if some of it may be "Game Mechanics"; Not every creature that can fly is always doing so, but that doesn't mean ignore that info about how it works.
Shadow tag tho, prevents fleeing. Including teleporting away, because the opponent steps on your shadow. That should work fine
Interestingly, gameplay also has Shadow Tag not work on Ghost-type Pokemon. Ungrounded types are also immune to Arena Trap.

& IIRC, both Arena Trap & Shadow are cancelled out if another Pokemon has the same ability.

Shed Shell & moves that cause switching despite these abilities, excluding Teleport, AFAIK.

Yeah. I think it won't work on intangible opponents

Unfortunately we don't know exactly how shed shell works outside of game mechanics, but we may treat it as resistances. Say, if the opponent can resist forced trapping he's good to go

Iirc run away can also bypass trapping. More on resistances

How are some Pokémon moves indexed here:
Instruct, Trick Room, Power/Guard swap, Court Change, Embargo, Encore, Torment, Snatch

Seems to me like law/reality warping. Many Pokémon moves seem to work like that

How are some Pokémon moves indexed here:
Instruct, Trick Room, Power/Guard swap, Court Change, Embargo, Encore, Torment, Snatch

Seems to me like law/reality warping. Many Pokémon moves seem to work like that
Are their any hax moves charizard can learn?

edited up to Feraligatr. I excluded eevee and magikarp and gyra because of the reasons stated in the thread above

Anyway, I discovered Meowth has a remote control that can pause the plot, or go to another point within the story, or rewind, fast forward, etc. Time stuff

Will time manipulation via plot be able to supercede resistances to normal time manipulation? Meaning you'll need plot resistance to neg it

Anyway, I discovered Meowth has a remote control that can pause the plot, or go to another point within the story, or rewind, fast forward, etc. Time stuff

Will time manipulation via plot be able to supercede resistances to normal time manipulation? Meaning you'll need plot resistance to neg it
link?

Wait plot manipulation for meowth. Because that is what it sounds like (or Plot manipulation via time manipulation/time manipulation via plot manipulation)

also good regeneration via toon force in that scene

Back