• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fusing pokemon profiles.

So there are some profiles that are separate for no reason.
This include
-Magikarp and Ghyrados
-Eevee and its evolutions
-Tyrogue and Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee and Hitmontop

If anything else is noted it should be added to the list here.
This will turn 15 profiles into 3, making things a little bit less cramped.
I believe only one tier is needed for the eeveelutions (High 7-A+ since they're all equal) and we can make a tabber for the abilities.
Same goes for the other profiles.

Agreed with everything here. Obvious thing to do, and I, for one, don't know why it hasn't been done yet.

Anyway, if I can be nitpicky for a second, it's spelled "Gyarados".

I agree. Also, regarding profile names & which Pokemon to display first, may I suggest Base Form First?

AFAIK, a lot of profiles on the Wiki do base form first, rather than strongest/most notable form first. Plus, with Pokemon, it could get confusing, because strongest first might mean a Mega, Dynamax or Gigantamax Form or such, & how do you pick most notable among a whole line when some have multiple final forms?

Also, Starter 1st stages are usually what preview seasons are focused on, & they're introduced 1st stage first, not final form first, even if the later stages get lots of attention. (In part due to fans often being eager for new reveals by the time later stage starter Pokemon are revealed.)

So yeah. Pokemon profiles, list the lowest evolution first, unless there's exceptional notability to a different form of the Pokemon, maybe?

I agree. Also, regarding profile names & which Pokemon to display first, may I suggest Base Form First?

AFAIK, a lot of profiles on the Wiki do base form first, rather than strongest/most notable form first. Plus, with Pokemon, it could get confusing, because strongest first might mean a Mega, Dynamax or Gigantamax Form or such, & how do you pick most notable among a whole line when some have multiple final forms?

Also, Starter 1st stages are usually what preview seasons are focused on, & they're introduced 1st stage first, not final form first, even if the later stages get lots of attention. (In part due to fans often being eager for new reveals by the time later stage starter Pokemon are revealed.)

So yeah. Pokemon profiles, list the lowest evolution first, unless there's exceptional notability to a different form of the Pokemon, maybe?
And to add to this, with Eevee and its evolutions, I guess, just put them in Pokedex order.

I don't agree with naming mons after their first evo since nobody searches for squirtle when they want to find Blastoise. Final evos are also the ones that have the mega evolutions and g-maxes most of the time.
I believe this is how it should work.
If the pokemon has multiple evolutions then it should be called after the pre-evo
If the pokemon has one line then it is the last evo since it is the last evo that gains the main transformations most of the time.

I don't agree with naming mons after their first evo since nobody searches for squirtle when they want to find Blastoise. Final evos are also the ones that have the mega evolutions and g-maxes most of the time.
If the pokemon has multiple evolutions then it should be called after the pre-evo
If the pokemon has one line then it is the last evo since it is the last evo that gains the main transformations most of the time.
"Most" of the time? Some Pokemon do have G-Max forms or Megas, but IIRC, any Pokemon, fully evolved or not, can Dynamax or use Z-Moves.

& while I get that nobody searches for Squirtle when they want to find Blastoise, nobody searches for Blastoise when they want to find Squirtle. & regardless of what people search for, isn't that an appeal to popularity?
Or appealing to which form is more powerful? But having the most powerful aspects of the 'verse being presented shouldn't be priority, accuracy should be.
At least the Pokedex order is official, & listing base form first feels more consistent with other 'verses on the Wiki.

i think that appealing to popularity really works here more.
I have seen no first form pokemon matches in the past month or so, yet i've seen a few full evolution matches in the past week. Not to mention that it looks dumb af. I mean you look at the current list of poke profiles and it looks cool with all the dragons and psychics and other pokemon who are fully evolved, but if we make them named after their first forms we're gonna be looking like some baby verse with all the cutesy little animals.

Also digimon lists full forms and not first forms

It is weird but people final forms are often more famous also what about baby Pokémon should we call snorlax munclax

i think that appealing to popularity really works here more.
I have seen no first form pokemon matches in the past month or so, yet i've seen a few full evolution matches in the past week. Not to mention that it looks dumb af. I mean you look at the current list of poke profiles and it looks cool with all the dragons and psychics and other pokemon who are fully evolved, but if we make them named after their first forms we're gonna be looking like some baby verse with all the cutesy little animals.
That feels like prioritizing public reception, which shouldn't be much of a factor in 'verse building, over accuracy.
Also, in theory you could have the 'verse page images direct to the profile, with any name of the line going there, but showing the base form's tabber first, if you're that concerned about the 'verse page's presentation.

People will know we're not exclusively listing the base forms when they click the profile & see all the higher forms are there, too, & redirects can make it doable to search Pokemon by multiple names.
Still....
If such a stance is considered valid, then I'm in support of it, even if it's a bit of a compromise.
Also digimon lists full forms and not first forms
IIRC, Digimon are a bit different, because any Digimon can Digivolve to or from any other Digimon species, or at least a lot, & thus, have an absurd quantity of base & final forms, so they focus on the line related to specific, powerful, notable Digimon.
Most Pokemon do not have such an excess of base & final forms, Dynamax, Gigantamax & Megas aside. With only 1 base form, Pokemon can be a lot more consistent about where a line starts.

Meanwhile, many profiles like Son Goku show the base form first.
& another, albeit, less reputable 'mons-focused 'verse, Puzzles & Dragons also lists base form first for its monsters: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Puzzle_and_Dragons

I think it's weird to disregard Pokedex order, evolution, etc. & arguably, precedent, because of concerns about popular opinion & power of the 'verse.

Still, I feel that I can understand this perspective, even if I don't consider it ideal.

That feels like prioritizing public reception, which shouldn't be much of a factor in 'verse building, over accuracy.
except this isn't verse building but a good design choice since choosing names for profiles has nothing to do with vsbattles and it is pretty much preferential
Also, in theory you could have the 'verse page images direct to the profile, with any name of the line going there, but showing the base form's tabber first, if you're that concerned about the 'verse page's presentation.
their names and images should be of fully evolved forms but they should start tabbers with base forms, yes
Meanwhile, many profiles like Son Goku show the base form first
except that he doesn't change names in his forms. We don't list our pokemon as mega X either, they are listed as their base final evolved forms.
Goku has super sayian goku, super sayian god goku, ultra instinct goku, not Goku, Soku and Roku or sth

except this isn't verse building but a good design choice since choosing names for profiles has nothing to do with vsbattles and it is pretty much preferential

their names and images should be of fully evolved forms but they should start tabbers with base forms, yes

except that he doesn't change names in his forms. We don't list our pokemon as mega X either, they are listed as their base final evolved forms.
Goku has super sayian goku, super sayian god goku, ultra instinct goku, not Goku, Soku and Roku or sth
No commentary on the Puzzles & Dragon matter?

No commentary on the Puzzles & Dragon matter?
i literally opened the first profile and the profile name is the final form. Like yeah it lists the pre-evolution form first and i don't mind that, however the name of the profile and the image is the last form

i literally opened the first profile and the profile name is the final form. Like yeah it lists the pre-evolution form first and i don't mind that, however the name of the profile and the image is the last form
From what I've seen, some profiles have different proper names for the keys, but not every species changes proper names between key.
Anyway, good to know your stance.

what im overall saying is, the name should be the final evo, however the first form of the creature should be listed first in the tabber of the profile.

what im overall saying is, the name should be the final evo, however the first form of the creature should be listed first in the tabber of the profile.
& you mean this for the majority of species, not just split evos, or just split evos? Either way, that sounds fine with me.

nobody searches for Blastoise when they want to find Squirtle.
Uh they could just search up squirtle and still find the page, just under the name Blastoise. And if they don't clock that its all one page then they're just a sped at that point.

Most people search up for the evo's predominant and most famous name, so name it after that? Sure it may negatively affect a few, but the benefits outweigh it.

split evos are named after their first form
Ah, so you mean only apply such treatment ("the name should be the final evo, however the first form of the creature should be listed first in the tabber of the profile.") for split evolutionary lines.

Most people search up for the evo's predominant and most famous name, so name it after that? Sure it may negatively affect a few, but the benefits outweigh it.
i think we can make one single exception for pikachu

Ah, so you mean only apply such treatment ("the name should be the final evo, however the first form of the creature should be listed first in the tabber of the profile.") for split evolutionary lines.
no.
charizard will be named charizard, though the page will open up on charmander
eevee will be named eevee cause you can't make one name for the page

no.
charizard will be named charizard, though the page will open up on charmander
eevee will be named eevee cause you can't make one name for the page
Ah, okay. Thank you for the clarification. Apologies for any annoyance or problems.

I assume they'll have redirects so that stuff like "Charmeleon" or "Leafeon" also redirects users to such pages?

Counter-argument: If you search for "Blastoise VsBattles" you'd still reach Squirtle's page, as it states the evolution's name on it.

I insist on naming the profiles after the base forms.

Says the Charmander.

Jokes aside this are species names and we wouldn't call the domestic cat profile the kitten profile.

Also which is the base form Munchlax or Snorlax?

Back