• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon 8-A tournament; round 5: Gastly vs. Electrike

So, it certainly seems Gastly has the superior kit by far. With things like Perception Manipulation to alter what Electrike sees, invisibility, and ranged moves like Night Shade to blast away at the enemy. From a quick look at its appearances it appears Gastly usually starts by using its Illusions and Perception Manipulation to terrorize its opponents, and in Fights stick to using Lick mainly or it’s ranged attacks mainly.

Sadly, Electrike does not appear as often as Gastly does, and therefore has less Wild Encounters where we can see what it does in battle. However, according to its Pokédex Entries its Speed is known to be incredibly high, meaning it’ll likely be rushing around the battlefield. From its few appearances, it also appears to favor its Electric attacks, such as Shock Wave.

Then, let’s compare what we know each can do. Electrike has Static, meaning if Gastly goes in for melee attacks, it likely won’t work out well, but Gastly doesn’t have an ability that seems to benefit him here. Electrike has a Super effective Move on Gastly- Bite- but Gastly doesn’t have one against Electrike. Electrike also has Odor Sleuth to counteract Gastlys Invisibility or Perception Manipulation if it recognizes things are going wrong.
However, Gastly has moves like Hypnosis to put Electrike asleep, or mind control him, which it doesn’t appear they’re afraid to do. Putting Electrike to sleep won’t last long enough to take him out of the battle (assuming the Sleep Manipulation resistance is for breaking out of Sleep, which Pokemon often do in battle), but Mind Control is troublesome. Then again, most of Electrikes moves have a chance to Paralyze Gastly, even moreso If Gastly or Electrike decide to do some close combat shenanigans.

Overall, I think this match depends on how often Gastly uses it’s Mind Control. We haven’t ever seen it used in combat (I think), but if they decide to use it, this is over for Electrike. Otherwise, I believe Electrike can whittle him down with Bite.

I would lean toward Elektrike as well here as well, as Bite is pretty in character for Electrike and is a dark type move, meaning it's super effective. Gastly's doesn't have that much against Elekrike. Also Electrike can become stronger by using Howl, which would make Bite even more devestating. Thunderwave will also 100% paralyse Gastly as well

Fun fact: Bite is actually learned before most of Electrike’s Lightning moves such as Discharge, Thunder, and comes right after Shockwave. In addition, Electrike seems to be a very physically-inclined Pokemon, with most of its Pokédex entries (‘it supercharges its leg muscles with electric charge’, ‘runs faster than the human eye can follow’) commenting on its amazing speed and giving it a reason to conserve electricity.

Whether or not this means Bite is in-character is arguable, but there’s at least a good chance it uses Bite and sticks with it.

In theory, Quick Attack & Wild Charge might also be possible IC options, given its speedy electrical nature.

Iirc Wild Charge will hurt it, and Quick Attack won’t have any effect in the first place. It’d probably know better than to attack a Ghost Type with a Normal Move (Ghastly’s like the prime example of a Ghost type, I’d reckon it’d be easy to tell) and I don’t see why it’d resort to hurting itself before Bite.

Iirc Wild Charge will hurt it, and Quick Attack won’t have any effect in the first place. It’d probably know better than to attack a Ghost Type with a Normal Move (Ghastly’s like the prime example of a Ghost type, I’d reckon it’d be easy to tell) and I don’t see why it’d resort to hurting itself before Bite.
It can learn Odor Sleuth to identify Gastly and negate its immunity to quick attacks

I see the points made, but in my look, Gastly has so many hax's and I don't think he wouldn't go for the most of them if noticed that is in trouble

I see the points made, but in my look, Gastly has so many hax's and I don't think he wouldn't go for the most of them if noticed that is in trouble
Gastly has a lot of Hax, but a bunch of them are made irrelevant. Illusion and Perception Manip are countered by Odor Sleuth, I don’t recall a single time a Gastly’s ripped someones soul out in combat, Necromancy doesn’t seem worthwhile, and trying to paralyze with Lick may paralyze Gastly because of Electrike’s Static.

The only really worthwhile option I see is his Mindhax, which I don’t recall being either a first move nor something offensively used, and putting Electrike to sleep, which will only stall the match because Pokémon break out of sleep mid-battle all the time.

Gastly has a lot of Hax, but a bunch of them are made irrelevant. Illusion and Perception Manip are countered by Odor Sleuth, I don’t recall a single time a Gastly’s ripped someones soul out in combat, Necromancy doesn’t seem worthwhile, and trying to paralyze with Lick may paralyze Gastly because of Electrike’s Static.

The only really worthwhile option I see is his Mindhax, which I don’t recall being either a first move nor something offensively used, and putting Electrike to sleep, which will only stall the match because Pokémon break out of sleep mid-battle all the time.
ok, you convinced me, I change my vote for the eletric dog

Well Electrike will likely start with odor sleuth and bite to counter Ghastly illusion and percep manip. Voting for Electrike.

The vote count in the Opening Post has been updated to account for what seem to be votes.
Also, wow, I've been neglecting this thread.

ALSO:
Almost invisible, this gaseous POKéMON cloaks the target and puts it to sleep without notice.
It wraps its opponent in its gas-like body, slowly weakening its prey by poisoning it through the skin.
GASTLY is largely composed of gaseous matter. When exposed to a strong wind, the gaseous body quickly dwindles away. Groups of this POKéMON cluster under the eaves of houses to escape the ravages of wind.
A being that exists as a thin gas. It can topple an Indian elephant by enveloping the prey in two seconds.
This Pokémon’s body is 95% made up of gases, which are blown away by strong gusts of wind.
Its body is made of gas. Despite lacking substance, it can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation.
Although Gastly is barely visible, when it’s near, a faint sweet smell lingers.
It’s said that gas emanating from a graveyard was possessed by the grievances of the deceased and thus became a Pokémon.
Born from gases, anyone would faint if engulfed by its gaseous body, which contains poison.
With its gas-like body, it can sneak into any place it desires. However, it can be blown away by wind.

Apparently, Odor Sleuth WOULD actually be pretty useful. Besides smelling gas, Gastly being nearby actually makes "a faint sweet smell" linger, so it should be very detectable to Electrike.... If it uses its nose.

Also, Electrike's physiology might hint at Gastly being near... or make Electrike think a storm is approaching:
It generates electricity using friction from the atmosphere. In seasons with especially arid air, its entire body blazes with violent showers of sparks.
It stores electricity in its fur. It gives off sparks from all over its body in seasons when the air is dry.
It stores static electricity in its fur for discharging. It gives off sparks if a storm approaches.

Either way, there isn't much info about what Gastly does OTHER than enveloping the opponent to suffocate them, poison through their skin, or put them to sleep (Assuming that's literal, is that with Hypnosis?), so yeah.
Biting might work, so long as Electrike's mouth isn't open too long; More open mouth time means more time where it can be choking, so it needs to bite fast or it risks asphyxiating before it can get Gastly away. Electricity might also help, especially since it means it has range, & it might be able to smell Gastly from a distance.

Gastly also has a "thin body", or exists "as a thin gas" (Silver & FireRed Pokedex entries, respectively), so despite its 130 centimeter size being more than double Electrike's 60 cm size, it may not be that wide/thick, just tall. MAYBE. Maybe it's spherical instead of disc-like in shape? One makes it easier for it to envelop & suffocate, the other makes it a slightly harder target, since it's not that large on 1 axis.

Though, considering Gastly can apparently "topple an Indian elephant by enveloping the prey in two seconds.", & "Despite lacking substance, it can envelop an opponent of any size and cause suffocation.", it may not need much help to suffocate something as small as Electrike, & may not need that long, both because of size, & depending on if Electrike needs a high respiratory rate to function well. (Considering Electrike is small & notedly fast, it's a possibility.)

Unsure if this is a basis to vote, but I hope it helps people decide on this thread.

Considering i wasn't the one who made the match, Elekrtrike FRA.

Is it okay for me to do the next match?

Considering i wasn't the one who made the match, Elekrtrike FRA.

Is it okay for me to do the next match?
I have no opposition to this. Also, vote counted. This would mean grace period starts. (Presuming this vote is valid anyway. Arceus0x did not make this match, but he did make the tourney & the rules that all the matches in the tourney follow. <//< )

(Thouch, considering Gastly can suffocate foes in roughly 2 seconds (Or is that the timeframe for it enveloping an Indian elephant?), I'm not sure if Electrike can bite it well enough to avoid asphyxiation. Still, it's your vote to cast, & I don't think the reasoning is entirely unreasonable, especially since Electrike can still attack at range & track Gastly reasonably well by scent, as dangerous as that is with poisonous gas.)

In the case that he begins suffocating he could always dash away or spam electric moves. I feel like electrike just has a better chance.
Basically
Electrike would win 6 out of 10 matches

In the case that he begins suffocating he could always dash away or spam electric moves. I feel like electrike just has a better chance.
Basically
Electrike would win 6 out of 10 matches
Yeah, that's reasonable. It's IC for Gastly to try to put it to sleep or poison it through skin, but Electrike has good range, & Static makes Gastly's usual tactics problematic. Aiming might be a slight issue for Electrike, due to Gastly not being very visible, apparently, but as said, tracking by scent.

I can see why Electrike has a good chance.

Back