• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Percy Jackson's speed.

So, Percy is listed as subsonic in his profile for fighting Jason at speeds Piper couldn't believe. But in the third book he has a bullet timing feat. Wouldn't that put him at supersonic? "The first skeleton fired. Time slowed down. I won't say I could see the bullet, but I could feel its path, the same way I felt currents in the ocean. I deflected it off the edge of my blade and kept charging." -- Percy, Titan's Curse

The Lightning feat sounds legit, and the Town feat looks good. Though I haven't read the books in years.

I approve of this.

Also found an additional feat we may want to look at:

From page 461 of Son of Neptune:

"Then he slammed Riptide into the ice at his feat. The entire glacier shuddered. Behind Percy a wave surged up from the bay- a wall of grey water even taller than the glacier. Water shot from the chasms and crevices in the ice. As the wave hit, the back half of the camp crumbled."

And the amount of destruction caused is made evident on page 470:

"He stood at the edge of the glacier, leaning on the staff with the golden eagle, gazing down at the wreckage he'd caused: several hundred acres of newly open water dotted with icebergs and flotsam from the ruined camp."

The glacier in question is Hubbard Glacier.

Edit:

Also, found a feat in The Lost Hero for Jason.

"The second spirit let loose a bolt of lightning, but Jason's blade absorbed the charge."

He could block lightning from storm spirits (so the lightning can be considered natural) from melee range.

Edit 2:

Another 2 calcs that could scale to Percy and Jason's hydrokinesis/aerokinesis:

http://www.narutoforums.com/xfa-blog-entry/the-cold-never-bothered-her-anyway-pjo.21792/

http://www.narutoforums.com/xfa-blog-entry/nicos-crack-swallows-some-skeletons-pjo.21191/

I think Town level is fine, but much above Superonic Percy sounds rather . . . wrong.

Arion is only supersonic and he runs in circles around everyone in the series.

Jucaslucas said:
I think Town level is fine, but much above Superonic Percy sounds rather . . . wrong.
Arion is only supersonic and he runs in circles around everyone in the series.
Do you think the high-hypersonic thing is an outlier considering Arion is faster than pegasi?

Although, considering two separate cases of lightning timing for the verse, it could likely be a case of Travel vs Combat speed kicking in...

Although, the supersonic feat for Arion was when he was carrying an armies worth of weapons...

Jason's case might be his powers of manipulating lightning instead of lightning timing.

And I don't think the Pegasus travel speed would scale for combat speed for the other characters. Everytime they fought Gods and Titans, they were either holding back or massively weakened.

When the Gods started fighting the Giants in the last book, it was a slaughter. They could fight on par with Gods normally, so they were weakened in all the fights against the demigods.

The Titans were specifically stated to be weakened, and, by Percy's statement, Kronos at full power would stomp all the gods at the same time.

Ares was playing with Percy.

Huh, weird, I was about to make a thread like this one. I always felt that Percy had lighting-timing speeds... At the very least Supersonic, anyway.

You can do the lightning feats for reaction speeds and the one where he raises the spear to block it from the sky sounds like a 2000m+ feat.

Alakabamm said:
You can do the lightning feats for reaction speeds and the one where he raises the spear to block it from the sky sounds like a 2000m+ feat.
By m, do you mean Mach or meter. Like is the feat seem like it's from 2000 meters + or is it seeming like its a 2000 Mach + feat?

I am saying he was basically dodging them by looking at the clouds, instead of realizing they were there only a few meters before he was struck

So, going to try a rough calculation.

The giant is stated to be 12 foot tall. The spear is stated to be 10 foot. For the sake of the calculation, I will treat the tip of the spear as moving in a curve from parallel to his body, considering that he would have had to have gone from there considering that he was moving to attack.

10 foot=3.048 meters.

12 foot=3.656 meters

That can be considered the radius.

Circumferance=pi*2r

=pi*2*3.048

=19.2 m

Distance moved is 1/4 of circumferance.

Distance moved by spear tip=4.79 m

So, for him to deflect the lightning, he would have to hit it before it could reach him.

2100-3.56=2096.344

Speed=Distance moved by spear*Speed of lightning/Distance moved by lightning

=4.79*4.4*10e5/2096.344

=1005.3 m/s

Or Mach 3.

Okay.

Now for the feat for Jason Grace.

Firstly, to support using the lightning speed here is that, like other spirits, the Venti are embodiments of forces of nature. In this case, storms. As such, it is safe to assume that they act as sources of natural lightning.

Now, for distance I will assume the lightning travelled the length of the skywalk they were fighting on.

According to wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Skywalk , the length of the skywalk is 70 feet, or 21 meters.

Iulius was in gladius form, so I will go for the length of a historical gladius unless someone can find a stated length for the weapon.

Low end gladius length=0.65m

High end gladius length=0.85m

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

For the sake of the calculation, I will use 1/4 of radius again as a fair estimate.

Distance moved by sword (Low end)=1/4*2*pi*0.65=1.02m

Distance moved by sword (High end)=1.33m

Speed=1.02*4.4e5/21

=21371m/s

Or Mach 62 for low end.

Speed=1.33*4.4e5/21

=27867

Or Mach 81 for high end.

So High Hypersonic for this feat

What do you think of the calculated values Alakabamm?

Let's see...the first value is fine except that he used 2100m instead of 2000m, which is the standard cloud height assumption for lightning feats.

The second feat needs some more background, since just "absorbing the charge" is rather ambiguous.

So, for the second feat, based on a previous part where Dylan had used sent lightning at Jason in close range, sending him back it is evident that absorbing the charge is not automatic. Furthermore, based on several other parts the lightning is not automatically channeled into weapons, as when Jason and Thalia pull it off they make sure their weapons are in the path of the lightning.

As such, due to an absence of evidence that they can manipulate electricity as a passive defense, Jason would have to 1) react to the lightning from the Ventus and 2) ensure his blade is in the path of the lightning in order to block the lightning.

Considering that Jason had just defeated a separate Ventus when the attack was sent, he would have to have moved his blade into the path of the lightning to pull of the feat.

So it doesn't automatically channel it? Alright then, sounds fine. I advise you to put those calcs in your blog with the quotes for future reference.

Okay. Now you can ask the calculation group members for evaluations. If they accept it, you can apply, and scale from, the feat.

Back