• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pathways into the Light RP Beta Test Registration thread

It depends solely on what class you chosed. Class passives go to the passive section, class abilities in the ablities section. Most class skill will go to the physical section, while abilities marked with the Spell moniker go to the magical section

Ya mixed up class and gender

Perfect, You have no idea how happy i got seeing that, all that work is going to pay off. Itsy small correction: Accessories are equippment too. I can assign your current ones stats later on, but you gotta slot your weapons in either Right or Left hand. And consider wether or not you want your weapon to be a Light, Heavy or Magic weapon (Because that determines what offensive stat it will scale to.)

And the First Principle of Magic belongs to the spell (Magic) category, I really forgot to tag that ability correctly so my bad

This seems coolio.
Partake! We are currently starved for participants
Can i create a Spell/Magic variant?(Not necessarily now, but in the future)

what about magical weaponry? (Like swords on fire)
One of the Magicians paths might satisfy you on that front 👀

And yes you can, although dont go crazy on your starter weapon, this is an RPG with looting and leveling lol. There will be a power balance between found weapons and selfmade weapons though

One of the Magicians paths might satisfy you on that front 👀

And yes you can, although dont go crazy on your starter weapon, this is an RPG with looting and leveling lol. There will be a power balance between found weapons and selfmade weapons though
Proceed to create a clone of Galen Marek/Starkiller's clone

I'm trying to decide what would work best with a detective style character. I'm thinking of a stubborn scholar or even potentially a fallen nobleman background for that purpose, but regarding class, I'm still trying to decide.

As for people who want to join but are unsure about class choice, lets talk a little bit about the current class designs. ALL classes are capable of being a damage dealer, even if their primary role lies elsewhere.

The Soldier is primary the tank, who scales his damage off of tanking well. The harder the enemy hits you, the harder you hit him back.

The Student primary the buffer, who creates uppertunitys for themself and their team to deal damage

The Scout is primary a damage dealer, whos niche is being flexible and self sufficient.

The Thief is primary a Debuffer, who gambles their way through the fight

The Mage is the other primary damage dealer, their niche is crowd control

The Priest is primary a healer, their damage comes from allowing everyone to spam abilities and doing consistent damage themselve

One question. My questions my become more plentiful as I read the rulebook.

What determines our stat points? Are they simply set to whatever you have them set as? Will they fluctuate depending on class? Will we have more points in each stat as the game goes on?

You level them. You gain 3 attribute points per level up which you can assign to the stat of your choice. Combat stats are going to be calculated from your attribute points, although only defense is probably going to have real math involved. I will elaborate on that later, but it won't be anything more complicated than middle school math, I promise. And i will do the math part as game master either way

Okay. When we grind, will the things being killed for said grinding have a specified number of stat points/exp granted upon death, and a level that we can use to determine how strong they are in comparison to ourselves? Or will there be a different method of leveling outside of killing monsters?

Its going to be grind only, but rather than fix a exp value onto enemy (Which would involve too much math even for my taste), i just assign a "x amount of fights per level up". This is supposed to be fun, so Im not going JPRG on you guys ass. There is going to be a fixed amount of fights which are story relevant and not skippable, and a couple random encounters and a side quest or 2 in each world. All the canon fights will get you to roughly level 80 for the final boss, while doing everything can get you to max level 100. You wont have to grind, and if you really had to through some unforseen circumstance, I will just adjust the enemy difficulty just enough to be in the fair ballpark again lol.

In general, fights are going to be more about cinematic moments, clutch situation and being story. I will control the enemy, so I can throw you guys a bone mid fight if its getting too frustrating. Once, every blue moon, I'm calling a hit critical even if RNG said no to keep things going

In general, I'm currently trying to strike a balance between depth (Which can be tedious) and casual (Which can make the whole system feel pointless), so I may add or remove things to keep things balanced. So complain a ton, things can suck by design and I can fix that design!

Lets talk about combat for a bit:

This is a diagram on how characters are positioned in the fight

SHN88AC.png

The Party always faces the Enemy from the Front and in every Battle the Party starts in the Center. The Battlefield is dynamic and depends on the positioning of the enemy. If the enemy moves into the Center Position, for example, The Frontline would become the Enemies back, anything on the left Center Position would become the enemies left flank and the Backline would become the new Frontline. To readjust the formation, every character would have to reposition themself to that new Situation. (More illustrations to visualize such a change will come later)

The battle is divided into Rounds. A Round ends when every Action possible has been performed (Or not because of status effects), while Actions are the amount of actions a character can do for each round.

A Action is used when attacking or using a skill, or a doing a long range move, which is every move into a position which is not directly adjacent to your current position. For example, if your current position is the Backline and you want to move into the Frontline, that is a Long Range move and it will cost you 1 Action.

Short Range moves are moving into directly adjacent positions and can be used in conjuction with another action for 1 Action cost, for example moving from left Frontline towards center Frontline, but it will penalizes whatever action you are doing within the same Action. So if I were to make a Short Range move and attack afterwards, that is 1 Action, but my attack is penalized by 25%, while skills, spells and miracles are penalized by 50%. This applies only to manual movement commands though, repositioning through abilities does not incur any penalties. For example, the Soldiers Frontline passive.

The Order of Actions is decided by yourself, so communitcate with the group accordingly. Additionally, you can decide wether or not you want to act before the enemy or after them. Bear in mind that has to be proclaimed, the enemy can as such react accordingly by hearing said plan (And no, you can't lie or use codes to share information with each other, lets play fair please).

I will add all that information to the rulebook eventually and in far greater detail at a later date, but this should serve as a rough guide for now

Looks good! Just 2 things: What Background did you use? And only Spells should go to the magical Ability section, although I consider just dropping the distinction on the sheet entirely and just list all skills under 1 skill banner and tagging the different skills with (Magical) (Physical) and (Divine)

By the way, I'm currently writing up a list of general abilities and passives that every character can learn regardless of class. While I already have a good chunk of ideas, if anyone wants to contribute ideas for that, they are welcome to do so! The only limitations will be that they shoudnt' conflict too much with already existing class ablities. You do so by spending Skill Points, which you get 1 every 5 level ups

For example, I plan to make every Magic school open for every class to learn, but the Magician dosn't have to spend any skill points to have all of them. Likewise goes for every Miracle.

Additionally, but I am kinda unsure on that, I thought it would be fun to allow classes to learn either 1 Passive or 1 Ability from another class. My current Idea is to allow Characters to learn 1 Passive/Ability upon promotion to a higher class. So you would be able to snag 2 abilites and or passives from other classes. I really hope Im not enabling some stupid meta build though.

Looks good! Just 2 things: What Background did you use? And only Spells should go to the magical Ability section, although I consider just dropping the distinction on the sheet entirely and just list all skills under 1 skill banner and tagging the different skills with (Magical) (Physical) and (Divine)
He chose aimless wanderer.
"An aimless wanderer, Canis has garnered a small reputation for himself, implementing detective skills into various jobs such as reconnaissance, a consultant for local authorities, and even in physical confrontations"

Back