• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overwriting Images

Chritin

He/Him
This is something that has bothered me a few times, so I thought I'd finally ask. Is there no way to overwrite/upload new versions of my images. I understand why myself or the average user can't upload new versions of every image: protecting against griefing, image disputes, all that stuff. However, I feel like it should be possible to at least allow it for images someone uploads. There have been a few times where I've messed up an upload and had to make an entirely new File post, or not gone and fixed blatant mistakes to avoid the hassle. Granted, I'm not sure if Fandom has a plugin to allow specific users to change images while restricting all others, but idk. It's just frustrating and tedious to deal with.

This is something that has bothered me a few times, so I thought I'd finally ask. Is there no way to overwrite/upload new versions of my images. I understand why myself or the average user can't upload new versions of every image: protecting against griefing, image disputes, all that stuff. However, I feel like it should be possible to at least allow it for images someone uploads. There have been a few times where I've messed up an upload and had to make an entirely new File post, or not gone and fixed blatant mistakes to avoid the hassle. Granted, I'm not sure if Fandom has a plugin to allow specific users to change images while restricting all others, but idk. It's just frustrating and tedious to deal with.
I'm an image helper and not even I can do it... If I remember correctly, content mods, admins and higher staff are able to

You can request someone to delete the file in the all purpose thread, even tho it can be unnecessarily time consuming. If I remember correctly specific rights doesn't work, as only admins on Fandom are able to do what you said (which content mods have on the wiki I think)

Last edited:
I'm an image helper and not even I can do it... If I remember correctly, content mods, admins and higher staff are able to

You can request someone to delete the file in the all purpose thread, even tho it can be unnecessarily time consuming. If I remember correctly specific rights doesn't work, as only admins on Fandom are able to do what you said (which content mods have on the wiki I think)
That weird that even Image Helpers aren’t given permission, but yeah that makes sense. I’m not surprised that Fandom doesn’t have a feature like I requested, but honestly I feel like it would just be easier to let people have image overwriting access.

Sure there’s the threat of trolls and squabbles, but I feel like all the time that already goes to managing images would just move to that, rather than the moderators having more to deal with. Hell I’ve worked on wikis proportionally as big as VSBW before and the image overwriting policies are a lot more lax and cause little to no problems. Idk, maybe I’m just coping cause I’m frustrated with it every time I have to fix something 😭

Idk, maybe I’m just coping cause I’m frustrated with it every time I have to fix something 😭
😅 it is what it is 😶‍🌫️🤷‍♂️😶‍🌫️

I'm assuming would be very annoying and quite difficult to pay attention and reverse the vandalism of the images tho

😅 it is what it is 😶‍🌫️🤷‍♂️😶‍🌫️

I'm assuming would be very annoying and quite difficult to pay attention and reverse the vandalism of the images tho
Fair, but honestly I might bring up opening image changes as an option. Granted, of all the fandom wikis, VSBW is the most open to vandalism by its very nature as a subjective and argumentative based wiki, but I feel like if we allow anyone to edit any profile with moderation, I feel like images should be the same.

Images I’d argue are much less likely to get vandalized since most of the time they are just used to display factual information like a character’s appearance or weapons. The text on articles is much more prone to acts of griefing or arguments since most of what we post is quite literally subjective (no matter how much evidence most things are provided). Like I said I’m basically coping, but I really do think there is some long term accessibility benefits to be had here.

Fair, but honestly I might bring up opening image changes as an option. Granted, of all the fandom wikis, VSBW is the most open to vandalism by its very nature as a subjective and argumentative based wiki, but I feel like if we allow anyone to edit any profile with moderation, I feel like images should be the same.

Images I’d argue are much less likely to get vandalized since most of the time they are just used to display factual information like a character’s appearance or weapons. The text on articles is much more prone to acts of griefing or arguments since most of what we post is quite literally subjective (no matter how much evidence most things are provided). Like I said I’m basically coping, but I really do think there is some long term accessibility benefits to be had here.
I mean the bad very much outweighs do good in my view still... Like you don't actually see or know the image have been vandalized unless you click on the image and check yourself

With profile they can be easily reverted, locked and seen by others... Which images do not

But yee might be some sort of way to make it better than it is now but I currently don't know 🙈

I mean the bad very much outweighs do good in my view still... Like you don't actually see or know the image have been vandalized unless you click on the image and check yourself

With profile they can be easily reverted, locked and seen by others... Which images do not

But yee might be some sort of way to make it better than it is now but I currently don't know 🙈
Fair, although mods or anyone tracking specific files can see changes to images iirc.

Either way, I’ll see if something can be done.

I was able to replace my own images and I'm just a Calc Group user.

Back