• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Overlord additions (Overlord Bonus Volume)

So, the new Overlord Side-Story is out, and there's some nice additions to some of the character's abilities. Now, this is technically an alternate reality story, but since Ainz already starts at lvl 100 and doesn't get any more powerful in neither of the timelines, the feats of the alternate Ainz should still scale to the main one.

First, we finally saw Ainz fighting with the Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown, and it has shown the ability to fly around by itself, casting spells and summoning Elemental Monsters, without Ainz having to do anything. It also seems to be sentient to an extent.

Ainz also got some new spells, like:

Dimensional Lock: stops people from teleporting out of a certain area

Loopsided Duel: makes it so that if an enemy teleports somewhere, Ainz gets teleported with them.

Armaggedon Evil: summons several waves of demons, with the waves gaining 10 levels and losing half the numbers each time.

False Data: Mana''':' like False Data: Life, gives the wrong mana info when an opponent tries to analyze him.

Crack in the Ground:
creates a giant crack in the ground that can trap the enemy inside, and apparently has an instant-death effect as well.

These are the new ones I can remember off the top of him head.

He also shows the ability to use The Goal of All Life is Death along with the super tier magic La Shub Niggurath, kill undead with it, and use them as the sacrifices needed to summon the Dark Young.

And, most importantly, he shows resistance to the Elder Coffin Dragon Lord's ultimate attack, that is compared to the World Class Item Longinus , that can erase the target from existence. While Ainz's summons are instantly annihilated, he himself completely no-sells it, since his World Class Item grants him protection to the attack.

There's been quite a few discussions about if World Class Items give you resistance to just other World Items, as if they just negate other WCI, or if they give you some super resistance that also works against non-WCI effects. I think this case proves it's the latter, since the Dragon Lord's attack was Wild Magic, which existed way before Tiered Magic or World Class Items even appeared in the New World. In this case, it should just be a buff that gives you resistance to many, many different effects. An "ultimate protection", as Ainz calls it in the Prologue:

"He saw a buff on his status screen. It was the same as that time when they had once obtained a World-Class Item, but then lost it.

That was — WORLD. It implied an entire world, and the ultimate protection it bestowed." -
Overlord Prologue (2nd Half)

If this is accepted, Ainz, and all the Floor Guardians that carry World Class Items, should get resistance to Existence Erasure (from Longinus and the Dragon Lord's attack), Sealing (due to being able to walk through Ouroboros's and Depiction of Nature and Society's sealing effects), and probably whatever other effects other World Class Items were shown to have.

Dont foreget mind control resistance, and soul destruction resistance (The esistence erasure the dragon used also had a soul ripping/destroying effect)

PS We have examples of wild magic ignoring regular yggdrasil defenses such as gazefs sword being able to damage ainz despite its low mana.

PPS should we also note create magic item can create things other than weapons?

Maybe, it creates a sphere of influence within which the terrain is changed and altered and one has to escape a certain way. Im not sure what that counts as though ourbourous still gives sealing resist

"Simply put, it was an item that sealed a target into a closed-off space. To be more precise, it swapped a painted landscape with the real world, and then it would convert the real world into a painted landscape.

The definition of "target" in this case was the same as that of the super-tier spell [The Creation], and referred to a specific area. Nothing within that area ÔöÇ animate or inanimate ÔöÇ could resist its effects.

This time, she was going to trap everything within this gigantic cave into the otherworld created by [Depiction of Mountains and Rivers].

Shalltear and Ainz were protected by World-Class Items, so they would not be imprisoned within the otherworld. Instead they would appear in the painted landscape which substituted for the region of devoured reality. However, as the item's user, Aura would automatically be sucked in."
Volume 11, chapter 5

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
My opinion remains the same, I don't agree with resistances due to WCI.
Well than provide evidence of an ability affecting someone with a world class item that should have defended them. We have never seen soul or mind hax be used on someone with a world class item who didn't already have resistances in place.

edit: Your opionion is not evidence we assumed the way world class items worked as nothing contradicted it, we now have evidence that does. Unless you have evidence to contradict what was shown in the side story your opionion is invalid.

Final edit: that came across ruder than I intended apologies.

No issue, but my whole point is that at no point had or were the WCI said to affect resistances of ANYTHING but the effects of other WCI. Its literally just that, that simple.

Because otherwise, what can any attack in Yaggdrasil do to you but kill you with pure numbers? No hax would be able to affect you, no effect ever, because most of the WCIs are items with special effects and not at all super AP weapons. But that's not how it ever was presented, but rather WCI to block off any WCI. If Ainz can be worried enough about people that could threaten Nazarick with power, why wouldn't he be cautious about special effects like mind control, instant kill or more, to which not everyone of his guardians has immunity like Shalltear? He just needs to slap a WCI on everyone from the start and they are safe.

The only argument I see for this is the safety of the WCI, but where does safety go if someone that can match and kill a Guardian comes?

He has eleven of them and he has equiped most of the gaurdians after realizing shalltear had been taken control of. Your acting like there are tons of these even the top guilds were lucky to have more than ten. What are you talking about most of his guardians do have such immunities in yagrdasil resistances are freakin everywhere.

Edit what is your argument here, cause im not seeing it. of course if they had enough of them all his people would be equiped but there were two hundred in the entire world of yggdrasil.

I'd assume that's the because only WCIs can block other WCIs, and that's the only context it really mattered until now. But with the current volume, we have confirmation that it's not exclusively effective against other WCI, but also at effects from other sources

Also, Ainz was worried of taking the WCIs out even after Shalltear got mind controlled, since they were their Trump cards and all that. In a way, he was seeing the items as more important than the NPCs, and he got mad at himself over it.

WCIs are very, very dangerous overall, you can't just give it to anyone. If anything, running around with WCIs just makes you a bigger target to get nuked outta nowhere.

Im still not really understanding his point? Is he questioning why they didn't give them to the npcs pre new world, thats because most of those world class items were carried by ainzs freinds, why would they waste them on npcs, hell even than albedo was equiped with one.

... actually, remind me of something. Was Albedo unaffected by Ainz' Despair Aura that had been boosted by the Staff of AOG when all of the guardians were brought together in volume 1?

... No. Immunities are not resistances, not ever and not even in Yggdrassil. Shalltear is the only one we know off that has as many immunities as she does because she's an undead and a lot of that stuff just plain doesn't work on her. The others obviously have resistances, but like Ainz said you can't cover for everything, and there's nothing to say all of their resistances would be to the highest level.

Except everyone was affected, at no point is Albedo said to not be affected. That was the whole point of it bypassing resistances, as the guardians shouldn't normally even feel the thing.

These incredibly rare relics would be to overpowered if they offered those resistances? In a game where you could literally tell the devs to redesign there entire magic system

Wait from my understanding having one hundred precent resistance granted immunity.

Also albedo didn't have her weapon equiped at the time so I feel this may be acedemic....

Did Albedo have it equipped though, or in her inventory?

I would find it hard to believe the WCI would protect you without having it equipped

Yeah, I don't think the item is mentioned, and they shouldn't be carrying around weapons when presenting themselves to Ainz.

Edit: Don't think Shalltear was carrying her Lance, for example.

No, my strongest evidence is that Albedo was affected by a skill that shouldn't affect her even with her normal resistances, which makes sense because of Guild Weapon, but turns around and stops making sense again because she has a WCI.

Except all the time we are told about then, it's only to combat WCIs effects. Yet Ainz, meticulous Yggdrassil Encyclopaedia that he is, outright doesn't point out that WCIs shut off all effects which is way different from just shutting off WCIs? We outright get told that the devs apologized because it'd cause problems if the people with WCI were left unaffected when they had to make some drastic changes after someone used Ouroboros, we also even get told how the WCI resistance would interact with Aura's WCI as seen on the very quote above, but Ainz forgets to mention a pretty crucial detail like this?

Yes, I am not convinced.

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
No, my strongest evidence is that Albedo was affected by a skill that shouldn't affect her even with her normal resistances, which makes sense because of Guild Weapon, but turns around and stops making sense again because she has a WCI.
She didn't have it equipped

She was affected because Ainz's staff is almost on par with a WCI. It's broken and can bypass resistances, and she wouldn't get the World resistance without having the weapon equipped.

The thing is, most NPCs are already resistant to pretty much anything, or can change their gear to be. But WCI bypass resistances, so they need their own WCI to block those. The ability to block regular stuff shouldn't really be mentioned since those can be negated by regular equipment.

Why would it be cruicial? level one hundred players are laiden with resistances and immunities. Outside the protection from other world class items I doubt it would matter at all as players could equip other items to acheive similar effects that could only be peirced by wcl. Hell level one ainz could no sell a mage focused on mental manipulation, this game was never balanced.

edit: Your not trying to convince us you have to give contadictory evidence against what was literally just shown in the side story. As pointed out albedo did not have her weapon equiped at the time thus your above argument is invalidated.

@Ape Really? Where did she even put it then?

@Infinite So... WCI can't affect someone with a WCI, but something "close" in power can. I am not sure how that makes sense.

@Pen Because... It is? Level 100 characters aren't loaded with resistances, they are loaded with as many as they can get. Most of the resistances Shalltear has is from her undead status, which human players are gonna need to get some other way and not all inhuman characters with racial classes get these immunities. And immunities they compensate for using gear is immunities that take space for covering other things, because you can't cover every single resistance no matter what. Shalltear and Ainz naturally have a **** ton because of racial classes and not even they can cover all bases. A WCI literally means you can re spec gear to be way more focused for pure power if you can afford it, leaving all effect defenses to the WCI. This is pretty crucial and pretty enormous difference from JUST resisting other WCI. I can't even come to comprehend how you don't see that Ainz not mentioning such a big difference doesn't make any sense.

Her world class item is a weapon she did not have it on when before ainzsama the same way she doesn't equip her armor around him. Go read ainz resistance page, That is the standard for a subpar roleplaying build in yggdrasil. I dont think it would matter, the abilities of world class items are esoteric and can usually be negated in there regular forms.

Your still giving no evidence your argument is based on what you think and offers no alternative to how the world class item negated the dragon lords attack. This isn't even the first instance of a world class item negated lower teirs of magic IE the throne.

Edit hell as a high level player he can become completely immune to one of his racial weaknesses....Also two hundred items in total in the entire game, not many people ever got these items.

Hell the throne should have been the first clue as under our original assumptions it should have only defended against the world class divination item but instead it negates every teir of divination magic.

edit So again the one argument you had is useless as albedo didn't have her combat equipment on.

If not offering any resistance while on the inventory feels really weird.

No pen, you deciding that my argument is based on what I think is what you don't seem to be able to let go. You are even using incredibly bad counters. Ainz gear is abnormal as people normally don't have that much Divine Equipment, or can equip 10 rings, and it is said it makes up a lot to make him stronger than he should be. Then there's the fact that again, undead have a ton of natural resistances, which I've said like 4 times. Have you actually looked at the resistances Ainz gets from his basic undead class and overlord class? That's not the "subpar" standard of Yggdrassil, that's the standard of undead, which aren't at all the majority of players on Yggdrassil.

And I don't even know why you use the throne as an example. It'd be much easier to assume that's one of its abilities because it looks like a WCI for the Guild and not for someone to move around and use.

Back