• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Our Stage Persona Rules Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it should be case by case. If someone wrote their own fictional story and especially if there is a cosmology to speak of, then I can see reason. Who Killed Markiplier and Scare Pewdiepie are examples of stories with continuity; though we do not make versions of them where all they are are just regular people playing video games. The AVGN is also an entire series, and while most episodes consist of him reviewing usually bad video games, he does often mention what episode this is, or mention past games he reviewed previously or times he's already fought Bugs Bunny. (Which no one ever used Composite BB scaling but just used feats within the AVGN series). It also features original characters such as the Gaming Glitch Gremlin, Super Mecha Death Christ, Fred Fuchs, and Death Mwauthzyx. And as mentioned, cosmic feats do exist such as AVGN "Touching Truth of the Universe, becoming one with the universe, and transcending time and space to defeat Giygas" or "Creating a parallel universe with an Infinite timeloop he cannot escape unless he beats Majora's Mask". And at bare minimum, the AVGN Adventures game series should be allowed since that can be seen as just like any other game series that happen to star a celebrity (Much like Shaq Fu, but it's at least an awesome game series).

But I am more or less neutral on WWE, on one hand, it's mostly scripted events and skits. But at the same time, it's also full of celebrity parodies and the people involved are regular people with nick names and they are just smashing prop objects and other effects are just CGI. Though same thing can be said about a lot of live action movies, but those at least look more real. But I also would prefer to add ones who are too controversial. And I also mentioned that making composite characters and especially ones of music artists and their music videos should be avoided.
Again, I did specify that stage personas need to have some kind of story or world behind them that isn't just the actor's real life. That said, is it okay if Itake this post as an agreement? I'll tally up the votes after work.

The AVGN is also an entire series, and while most episodes consist of him reviewing usually bad video games, he does often mention what episode this is, or mention past games he reviewed previously or times he's already fought Bugs Bunny. (Which no one ever used Composite BB scaling but just used feats within the AVGN series). It also features original characters such as the Gaming Glitch Gremlin, Super Mecha Death Christ, Fred Fuchs, and Death Mwauthzyx. And as mentioned, cosmic feats do exist such as AVGN "Touching Truth of the Universe, becoming one with the universe, and transcending time and space to defeat Giygas" or "Creating a parallel universe with an Infinite timeloop he cannot escape unless he beats Majora's Mask". And at bare minimum, the AVGN Adventures game series should be allowed since that can be seen as just like any other game series that happen to star a celebrity (Much like Shaq Fu, but it's at least an awesome game
LETS GOOOOO!!!!

Obviously disagree, you can glean why from the base thread this is tangential from. Stage personas ought to stay off the site, regardless of what flukes we have had.

Just letting my vote be known, probably won't stay for what will surely be peak comedy about how terrible I am.

Obviously disagree, you can glean why from the base thread this is tangential from. Stage personas ought to stay off the site, regardless of what flukes we have had.

Just letting my vote be known, probably won't stay for what will surely be peak comedy about how terrible I am.
Can you at least elaborate on why? Because as far as I can tell, both disagreements this far haven't really addressed the OP itself, just reiterating that we don't allow stage personas.

You are great staff Bambu, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

But as Fuji said, stay on topic.

Can you at least elaborate on why? Because as far as I can tell, both disagreements this far haven't really addressed the OP itself, just reiterating that we don't allow stage personas.
I have staunch disagreement as to allowing non-fictional people to be indexed on our wiki. Stage personas grapple this line, and it is my opinion that they fall on the wanting side. I could offer examples from the WWE thread, but, you could just read that, since that is where this thread traces its origin.

You are great staff Bambu, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
As disheartening as it is to see certain individuals engage in certain two-faced behavior, I'd still like to think so, aye. I've just done my job. (That said, I don't intend to turn this'n into a pity party because people resort to cattiness when I disagree with 'em, I'll survive- certainly won't resign as I've seen folks suggest)

I have staunch disagreement as to allowing non-fictional people to be indexed on our wiki. Stage personas grapple this line, and it is my opinion that they fall on the wanting side. I could offer examples from the WWE thread, but, you could just read that, since that is where this thread traces its origin.
I mean, this is exactly why I suggested to have the requirement of having the stage persona have a story completely unrelated to the real person they're portrayed by. It helps to make the distinction between a real person and their persona; James Rolfe has never beat the shit out of Bugs Bunny, but the AVGN has, so it's easy to draw the line between them. Still, I won't argue further if you've fully made up your mind on this issue.

I mean, this is exactly why I suggested to have the requirement of having the stage persona have a story completely unrelated to the real person they're portrayed by. It helps to make the distinction between a real person and their persona; James Rolfe has never beat the shit out of Bugs Bunny, but the AVGN has, so it's easy to draw the line between them. Still, I won't argue further if you've fully made up your mind on this issue.
I understand what you're getting at, but I really think a lot of people are far too lax on where they define a bit as an entirely separate entity. I've discussed this point ad nauseam at this point, nobody has given me really any particularly good reason to change my view, so... yeah, I'm firm.

Okay why is there so many regular users commenting on this thread regularly? Did a burecraut gave you all permission? Because that is against the rules yes i know i am as well technically, but i am just poiting out what no one is
  • Only staff members and regular members staff have deemed highly trustworthy may participate in Staff Discussion threads unless an explicit exception is noted.
  • Only staff members with evaluation rights can authorize regular members to participate in Staff Discussion threads. Thread Moderators and Administrators can only grant permission for a single post at a time; only Bureaucrats have the discretion to grant permission for indefinite posting rights. If a staff member determines that a regular member has misused their granted privileges, another staff member can remove them.

Well, I did not create those pages. I just do regular cleanup work while edit-patrolling every day.

Anyway, I am against stage personas of the variety that are not truly fictional, just real people who dramatise their own personalities and add some special effects, but are not actually a part of a narrative.

The wrestling profile pages seem like more of a borderline case in my mind, given that they seem to be a part of an ongoing narrative, and are more into public theater territory, so I am not really sure what to think about them beyond that celebrities that make guest appearances or similar should not be included.

i'm pretty sure the characters we were trying to get onto the wiki in the first place have actual stories (at least my attempt to get scott the woz should count, as he has many reoccurring characters, plot points, etc)
Okay. If that is true I do not particularly mind if we keep the more prominent and blatantly fictionalised wrestling characters, as long as we are careful to install some safeguards against featuring Donald Trump or similar real world celebrities.

I think that @Agnaa had some suggestions in that regard.

Well, I did not create those pages. I just do regular cleanup work while edit-patrolling every day.

Anyway, I am against stage personas of the variety that are not truly fictional, just real people who dramatise their own personalities and add some special effects, but are not actually a part of a narrative.

The wrestling profile pages seem like more of a borderline case in my mind, given that they seem to be a part of an ongoing narrative, and are more into public theater territory, so I am not really sure what to think about them beyond that celebrities that make guest appearances or similar should not be included.
Can you give a few examples of the sort of pages that'd be okay under these rules? Because I think this seems like a fair compromise if my suggestions don't work out.

Okay why is there so many regular users commenting on this thread regularly? Did a burecraut gave you all permission? Because that is against the rules yes i know i am as well technically, but i am just poiting out what no one is
  • Only staff members and regular members staff have deemed highly trustworthy may participate in Staff Discussion threads unless an explicit exception is noted.
  • Only staff members with evaluation rights can authorize regular members to participate in Staff Discussion threads. Thread Moderators and Administrators can only grant permission for a single post at a time; only Bureaucrats have the discretion to grant permission for indefinite posting rights. If a staff member determines that a regular member has misused their granted privileges, another staff member can remove them.
We mostly did this before it became a Staff Discussion, but good point.

Can you give a few examples of the sort of pages that'd be okay under these rules? Because I think this seems like a fair compromise if my suggestions don't work out.
Well, the wrestling characters that do not use their real names, or at least mainly have and use specific nicknames, and do not blend reality and fiction to a great degree basically.

I agree with Mad Dog. Stage personas should be allowed to have profiles on this site.

That being said, I think we should be allowed to use them for versus discussions, they should be treated just like how we treat live-action characters. We don't make MCU Thor matchups because we hate his actor or something like that. Quite the opposite, we care more about the persona he acts as.

But at the same time, I understand Mad Dog's position is sort of a middle ground. Her proposition is preferable to nuking WWE off the site.

That being said, can anyone tell me what is happening to the WWE verse? Lots of people have the #FreeWWE hashtag. What's happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back