• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Our Stage Persona Rules Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine, I'll do it myself.

Not as Violent as it Seems

To start, let's address the idea that most people would object to featuring stage personas on the basis that we'd basically be discussing real life people killing each other. This is... very odd, especially since I can't think of any instances where anyone on here has posted about a fictional character dying in graphic detail. Even so, this isn't that out of line with what regular people talk about; Shows like Deadliest Warrior have used real life historical figures in "who would win" scenarios, and people regularly discuss events like boxing matches or WWE events where the "who would win" aspect plays a major role. Stage personas are, in fact, an entire step removed from the more realistic discussion the aforementioned topics take, so it seems odd to bar discussion of them entirely.

But of course, we're ignoring the obvious issue is that the feats these characters show, taken in a vacuum, aren't really used to demonstrate how capable they are of killing real people. We index things like real life feats of stamina, striking strength, and running speed, using them as the basis for the rules we apply to every character. These are not to demonstrate how Usain Bolt can "blitz" another human, or how Mike Tyson could cave in your chest with a good punch; We are able to distinguish these feats from real life violence and avoid using them as points in VS debates, so what exactly prevents us from taking people even less rooted in reality and indexing their feats? Remember, we are an indexing site first and foremost - the discussion of "who can kill who" is secondary, so it's completely fine, and in fact normal, for a profile to simply be feats and abilities in a vacuum.

Of course, discussing whether Logan Paul could kill Markiplier, while probably funny in a ****** up kind of way, is still obviously something most people are going to find distasteful. However, this isn't a reason for a total ban on their profiles. It's an issue that's easily solved by a total ban on VS matches using these characters, preventing the "who would kill who" issue from ever cropping up. If that's still too lenient, we can ban any discussion of their power level relative to anyone outside their own work. And while using scaling within the work may seem at odds with trying to limit the discussion of violence regarding real people, think of it this way: The person playing the stage persona was obviously okay with the level of violence within their own work, so why would someone discussing that be an issue?

In short, one of the main issues most people have with the idea of stage personas is easily circumvented while still allowing the profiles themselves. I also take issue with the claim that the majority of users here are minors but that's whatever :v

Nobody on the Wiki Understands the Justice System

We seem to have this weird idea that we could be sued into the ground for featuring stage personas. This is... a very odd take for a number of reasons.

For starters, stage personas aren't any more copyright protected than any other character. I assure you, Nintendo and Disney would be a hundred times more likely to nuke their relevant pages here if they knew about them. The same goes for any copyrighted material, actually, so there's no particular reason why stage personas should be singled out - in fact, most of them aren't copyrighted, and there would be no legal repercussions for using a character like Darkiplier because he isn't even copyrighted.

But that leads me to the main point: Everything we do here falls under fair use. I'll be using US law as a basis for this, since Fandom operates here. Under the laws of fair use, copyrighted material can be used so long as it falls under the category of reporting, research, commentary, and so on. We fall under that category, as we aim to provide accurate assessments of how strong or fast characters are; A niche category of research to be sure, but a valid one nonetheless. There are even more ways we're protected by the legal system here - there are 4 criteria primarily used for determining fair use:
-Whether the work is used commercially or for nonprofit (show me a single person who's made money off of this site and I'll show you a liar)
-The nature of the copyrighted work (again, most stage personas aren't even copyrighted)
-The substantiality of what we use relative to the entire work (we almost entirely use individual clips and scans for references, which make up a small portion of the total work)
-The potential effect on the value of the copyrighted work (I shouldn't have to explain that having the AVGN here wouldn't do shit to James Rolfe's net worth)

It also goes without saying that, considering internet shows like Death Battle have used WWE personas or even real life celebrities without legal repercussion - and this actually IS a show that turns a profit, so they have less legal protection than we do - we should be completely fine. Hell, they have gotten in more hot water with Toei than anyone else - Having Dragon Ball profiles is more of a risk to our site than the ******* Irate Gamer or whatever.

Basically, 9 times out of 10, we will have 0 legal risk of using stage personas, and in the rare case we do run into legal trouble (which is even less likely than getting into legal trouble with any of the big companies that own the IPs we DO allow), everything we do falls under fair use anyways so it literally does not matter.

So what Should we Allow?

Obviously, we still need standards, because this still edges a little close to pages we wouldn't allow. Here's a short list of
-Total ban on VS discussions, or any extension of "who would win" discussions regarding stage personas.
-Characters must have actually notable feats that go well beyond what the actor they're played by can do.
-Characters must have an original story or setting, one that isn't just a reflection of their real life.

I'm open to more restrictions, but I think we've been overly strict in regards to stage personas and the like. Also, I'd like to preemptively request that this thread be moved to staff discussion, before it gets overly derailed.

Last edited:
Obviously, we still need standards, because this still edges a little close to pages we wouldn't allow. Here's a short list of
-Total ban on VS discussions, or any extension of "who would win" discussions regarding stage personas.
-Characters must have actually notable feats that go well beyond what the actor they're played by can do.
-Characters must have an original story or setting, one that isn't just a reflection of their real life.
Question: These will all be applied to Stage Personas if this thread gets accepted?

So no more WWE versus matchups?

Yeah. Sorry about your VS matches, but this is the only way I can see stage personas being allowed by staff.
big-show-crying.gif

Why Fuji? Why?

Before staff comes raining down on this thread, can I at least propose that we have other WWE/Pro Wrestling supporters voice their opinions on the verse they worked on for the past year get banned from doing vs matchups?

Specifically @DemonicDude and especially @Pikaman. They're the most well-known supporters of the verse besides me, and I would really like to hear their opinion on the idea of WWE profiles being banned from doing vs threads in order to preserve their spots on the wiki.

It would mean a lot to me, and it will likely mean a lot to them as well.

Before staff comes raining down on this thread, can I at least propose that we have other WWE/Pro Wrestling supporters voice their opinions on the verse they worked on for the past year get banned from doing vs matchups?

Specifically @DemonicDude and especially @Pikaman. They're the most well-known supporters of the verse besides me, and I would really like to hear their opinion on the idea of WWE profiles being banned from doing vs threads in order to preserve their spots on the wiki.

It would mean a lot to me, and it will likely mean a lot to them as well.
I've got no issue with them commenting here. However, I'd like to focus on the allowance of stage personas first and foremost instead of the VS thread thing, so maybe I'll need to make a second thread.

@RandomGuy2345 i hope you and the others make sure this passes given the fact that we got many added matches with WWE and it would be really sad to see them go if wwe counts as stage persona’s.
Imho, I see no issue in WWE/Pro Wrestling being treated like any other verse in the wiki, and it kinda upsets me how a single staff comment that shows their disgusts of people having discussions of 'Stage Personas' and how they would lose a fight ended up causing all this ruckus.

Imho, I see no issue in WWE/Pro Wrestling being treated like any other verse in the wiki, and it kinda upsets me how a single staff comment that shows their disgusts of people having discussions of 'Stage Personas' and how they would lose a fight ended up causing all this ruckus.
that’s because some people just don’t realize this is fiction and not real life. They just cannot separate the two sometimes. Well it’s also cause some people are haters random, they’ll find any excuse, even if it’s the most trivial, in order to try to remove it.

Fine, I'll do it myself.

Not as Violent as it Seems

To start, let's address the idea that most people would object to featuring stage personas on the basis that we'd basically be discussing real life people killing each other. This is... very odd, especially since I can't think of any instances where anyone on here has posted about a fictional character dying in graphic detail. Even so, this isn't that out of line with what regular people talk about; Shows like Deadliest Warrior have used real life historical figures in "who would win" scenarios, and people regularly discuss events like boxing matches or WWE events where the "who would win" aspect plays a major role. Stage personas are, in fact, an entire step removed from the more realistic discussion the aforementioned topics take, so it seems odd to bar discussion of them entirely.

But of course, we're ignoring the obvious issue is that the feats these characters show, taken in a vacuum, aren't really used to demonstrate how capable they are of killing real people. We index things like real life feats of stamina, striking strength, and running speed, using them as the basis for the rules we apply to every character. These are not to demonstrate how Usain Bolt can "blitz" another human, or how Mike Tyson could cave in your chest with a good punch; We are able to distinguish these feats from real life violence and avoid using them as points in VS debates, so what exactly prevents us from taking people even less rooted in reality and indexing their feats? Remember, we are an indexing site first and foremost - the discussion of "who can kill who" is secondary, so it's completely fine, and in fact normal, for a profile to simply be feats and abilities in a vacuum.

Of course, discussing whether Logan Paul could kill Markiplier, while probably funny in a ****** up kind of way, is still obviously something most people are going to find distasteful. However, this isn't a reason for a total ban on their profiles. It's an issue that's easily solved by a total ban on VS matches using these characters, preventing the "who would kill who" issue from ever cropping up. If that's still too lenient, we can ban any discussion of their power level relative to anyone outside their own work. And while using scaling within the work may seem at odds with trying to limit the discussion of violence regarding real people, think of it this way: The person playing the stage persona was obviously okay with the level of violence within their own work, so why would someone discussing that be an issue?

In short, one of the main issues most people have with the idea of stage personas is easily circumvented while still allowing the profiles themselves. I also take issue with the claim that the majority of users here are minors but that's whatever :v

Nobody on the Wiki Understands the Justice System

We seem to have this weird idea that we could be sued into the ground for featuring stage personas. This is... a very odd take for a number of reasons.

For starters, stage personas aren't any more copyright protected than any other character. I assure you, Nintendo and Disney would be a hundred times more likely to nuke their relevant pages here if they knew about them. The same goes for any copyrighted material, actually, so there's no particular reason why stage personas should be singled out - in fact, most of them aren't copyrighted, and there would be no legal repercussions for using a character like Darkiplier because he isn't even copyrighted.

But that leads me to the main point: Everything we do here falls under fair use. I'll be using US law as a basis for this, since Fandom operates here. Under the laws of fair use, copyrighted material can be used so long as it falls under the category of reporting, research, commentary, and so on. We fall under that category, as we aim to provide accurate assessments of how strong or fast characters are; A niche category of research to be sure, but a valid one nonetheless. There are even more ways we're protected by the legal system here - there are 4 criteria primarily used for determining fair use:
-Whether the work is used commercially or for nonprofit (show me a single person who's made money off of this site and I'll show you a liar)
-The nature of the copyrighted work (again, most stage personas aren't even copyrighted)
-The substantiality of what we use relative to the entire work (we almost entirely use individual clips and scans for references, which make up a small portion of the total work)
-The potential effect on the value of the copyrighted work (I shouldn't have to explain that having the AVGN here wouldn't do shit to James Rolfe's net worth)

It also goes without saying that, considering internet shows like Death Battle have used WWE personas or even real life celebrities without legal repercussion - and this actually IS a show that turns a profit, so they have less legal protection than we do - we should be completely fine. Hell, they have gotten in more hot water with Toei than anyone else - Having Dragon Ball profiles is more of a risk to our site than the ******* Irate Gamer or whatever.

Basically, 9 times out of 10, we will have 0 legal risk of using stage personas, and in the rare case we do run into legal trouble (which is even less likely than getting into legal trouble with any of the big companies that own the IPs we DO allow), everything we do falls under fair use anyways so it literally does not matter.

So what Should we Allow?

I'm open to more restrictions, but I think we've been overly strict in regards to stage personas and the like. Also, I'd like to preemptively request that this thread be moved to staff discussion, before it gets overly derailed.
This is based and I agree. I wanna see solar system WWE lets GOOOOO

I definitely do not want us to feature stage personas, as they blend fiction and reality far too much. We might as well start featuring real world people, and that is not what our wiki should focus on, but rather fictional characters from coherent narratives. So that is a very hard no from me.

As for the real world celebrity death match tendency, that was thrown in as an extra mention because it really is quite disturbing to discuss which celebrity that would slice the other's throat in the most efficient manner, for example, and because we had previous discussions about celebrities suing for similar reasons, and given that this is our own forum, without Fandom's financial backing, we have to be extra careful, as in best case Google can lessen our already very limited advertisement revenue, and in worst case my friend who owns this forum can get in very serious trouble, and it just isn't remotely worth the risk for so little gains.

And even if we say that such matchups are not allowed for our stage persona or celebrity pages, it likely wouldn't be followed in practice and be hard to keep proper track of.

You know what... **** it.

I disagree with this.

Call me weird or cringe, but I was thinking about this while I was in the shower, and I just realized something that no one has ever mentioned or put emphasis on.

How come no one mentioned the amount of versus threads the Pro Wrestling verse has had that went perfectly fine?

There's so many past WWE/Pro Wrestling threads from the past year or two that I still look back at fondly because of how much fun I had.

Chris Jericho vs Tsukasa Shishio.

Chris Jericho vs Mori Jin.

Austin Theory vs Vin Jin.

Austin Theory vs Captain Mizuki.

Finn Bálor vs Chisato Nishikigi.

These are just off the dome. I can name more if I did some research.

The reason why these threads went smoothly is not only because the debating was good, and there was little to no derailment.

These threads worked because everyone in the thread treated the WWE/Pro Wrestling verse like it was any other verse, and we had constructive/good arguments as a result. And if anyone had any questions about how the verse works, me, along with the supporters and anyone knowledgeable, would gladly let them know.

Why the hell would we let a couple of bad apples completely affect the verse when the verse was doing perfectly fine for almost 2 years (with a few exceptions)?

I definitely do not want us to feature stage personas, as they blend fiction and reality far too much. We might as well start featuring real world people, and that is not what our wiki should focus on, but rather fictional characters from coherent narratives. So that is a very hard no from me.
WWE is quite literally a coherent narrative.

It has consistent storylines, characters with lore, consistent feats that we can powerscale, as well as it's own consistent canon.

Most of the time, whenever IRL shit gets mentioned by WWE wrestlers in a promo, it's more often than not an example of 4th Wall Breaking in the verse, as the comments made blur the lines between fiction and reality, just like most shows with 4th Wall Breaks.

Also, how the hell would we explain stuff like The Undertaker or Kane or The Fiend or even Ultimate Warrior being put in the 'Real World' category?
As for the real world celebrity death match tendency, that was thrown in as an extra mention because it really is quite disturbing to discuss which celebrity that would slice the other's throat in the most efficient manner, for example, and because we had previous discussions about celebrities suing for similar reasons, and given that this is our own forum, without Fandom's financial backing, we have to be extra careful, as in best case Google can lessen our already very limited advertisement revenue, and in worst case my friend who owns this forum can get in very serious trouble, and it just isn't remotely worth the risk for so little gains.
I completely understand why'd you think that way. Unironically speaking, it is quite weird, awkward, and maybe even disturbing to talk about a celebrity dying. When you're talking about someone like Logan Paul, I can see your point.

But when you're talking about actual WWE characters is where I draw the line.

Wrestlers like The Undertaker and 'The Fiend' Bray Wyatt have Supernatural abilities like coming back from the dead (Immortality). They legit got sent on fire and 'died' (in kayfabe) on live TV and they came back to life.

We've also had wrestlers on numerous occasions attempt to end each other's careers with brutal attacks, so I don't think using that logic on WWE characters except for people like Logan Paul is a good idea.

Last edited:

And even if we say that such matchups are not allowed for our stage persona or celebrity pages, it likely wouldn't be followed in practice and be hard to keep proper track of.
Ant, with all due respect, do you really think we create these matches to see John Cena getting beaten up until he's a fine red mist by various fictional characters?
Because that's incredibly silly and outlandish.
We don't do these because of the violence, we just like to imagine them fighting and how they'd interact.

So what exactly is the issue here? Because stage personas are highly distinct from real people, especially with the rules I've suggested. Not to mention, we feature fictional characters without coherent narratives, and stage personas are just as capable of having stories behind them.

Also, as I've explained above, the odds of us getting into legal trouble for this are less than the odds of us getting in trouble with Toei or Disney, and even then, we'd be protected by fair use.

Every issue you have with stage personas is shared by our regular profiles and then some. It's hypocritical to deny stage personas at this point.

If we're going to have such moral standards in this anyways, what should we do with verses like WWE & characters Mad Dog mentioned? That's an issue.

Having Logan Paul on here is when the lines between reality and fiction start to blur, so I have no problems in yeeting Logan Paul.

Agreeing with Random here, WWE has too much shit in it to make it comparable to real world stuff. Bray and Undertaker have done some clear supernatural shenanigans and thensome. Maybe we can consider the possible removal of logan paul as a concession?
Also the "Celebrities/IRL person dying" argument doesn't really hold weight considering that there has been many instances of wrestlers attempting to murder or end the careers of other wrestlers on live TV.

Hell, there's been times where the characters have legitimately died (in kayfabe of course).

I think it should be case by case. If someone wrote their own fictional story and especially if there is a cosmology to speak of, then I can see reason. Who Killed Markiplier and Scare Pewdiepie are examples of stories with continuity; though we do not make versions of them where all they are are just regular people playing video games. The AVGN is also an entire series, and while most episodes consist of him reviewing usually bad video games, he does often mention what episode this is, or mention past games he reviewed previously or times he's already fought Bugs Bunny. (Which no one ever used Composite BB scaling but just used feats within the AVGN series). It also features original characters such as the Gaming Glitch Gremlin, Super Mecha Death Christ, Fred Fuchs, and Death Mwauthzyx. And as mentioned, cosmic feats do exist such as AVGN "Touching Truth of the Universe, becoming one with the universe, and transcending time and space to defeat Giygas" or "Creating a parallel universe with an Infinite timeloop he cannot escape unless he beats Majora's Mask". And at bare minimum, the AVGN Adventures game series should be allowed since that can be seen as just like any other game series that happen to star a celebrity (Much like Shaq Fu, but it's at least an awesome game series).

But I am more or less neutral on WWE, on one hand, it's mostly scripted events and skits. But at the same time, it's also full of celebrity parodies and the people involved are regular people with nick names and they are just smashing prop objects and other effects are just CGI. Though same thing can be said about a lot of live action movies, but those at least look more real. But I also would prefer to add ones who are too controversial. And I also mentioned that making composite characters and especially ones of music artists and their music videos should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back