• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man Saitama Resistance against Cosmic Radiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nehz_XZX

He/Him
VS Battles
Content Moderator
Saitama should have Resistance against Cosmic Radiations since he has been in space and suffered no ill effects from that.

Well, technically yes. Seems pretty straight-forward but you'd need to check with knowledgeable staff first before changing anything.

Damage3245 said:
Wasn't he only in space for a few seconds?
Yes, does that mean Cosmic Radiations couldn't have harmed him in that time?

If that the case then shouldnt every character that has goes into space for a few seconds gain the same thing then?

Unless there has been that justification before, if that's the case then no reason not to give that to Saitama.

Nicetoderp said:
If that the case then shouldnt every character that has goes into space for a few seconds gain the same thing then?

Unless there has been that justification before, if that's the case then no reason not to give that to Saitama.
Probably yes.

That doesn't seem right. Dying instantly in space after a few seconds exposure? I'd prefer some knowledgeable staff members to weigh in here.

I remember having watched a video about what would happen if you put your hand into a particle accelerator. Even a short time in there with your hand would be lethal because of the radiation. I don't know whether or not this would be relevant in regards to the radiation in space but it does show that short exposure to radiation can indeed kill you or at the very least get you a prolonged stay in the hospital.

We grant resistance to Cosmic Radiations and Extreme Cold to those characters who are unaffected by outer space's enviroment. Lots of profiles have been applying this the last months, actually.

This is pretty straightforward. Saitama didn't die when he was on the moon so he should get these resistances.

I'd like to know if we do allow that for characters who have only been in space for a few seconds. Because I'm pretty sure most of the time it is for characters who aren't affected by space period.

I believe the coldness freezes instantly what's there if unprotected. Same with radiation as both are constants in outer space.

The "coldness" of space has little to no actual effect. The feeling of cold and freezing only happens because your heat is rapidly being transferred away, which can't happen in a vacuum. Any profile using that is just inaccurate (unless space has been shown to freeze in verse).

https://www.scienceabc.com/nature/universe/what-is-the-temperature-of-space.html

According to this article, sans some details about the specific amount of particles in the space and all that stuff, the average temperature in outer space is -270C, very near the Absolute Zero.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-happens-to-the-unprotected-human-body-in-space/

However, this article says that the freezing happens after the suffocation (which is usually happening at 15 seconds).

So after checking, I'm unsure if this would apply to Saitama.

To quote your first source, "There are so few particles out there that measuring the temperature of a vacuum is almost meaningless." And as your second says, space lacks both convection and conduction. Which means those near absolute zero temperatures won't affect you in any way. Without convection and conduction you can only lose heat through radiation of 100 watts. (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...ppens-to-unprotected-body-in-outer-space.html )

Using average body temperature, mass, and specific heat of a human, you can find that it would take you 22 hours to reach 0 Celsius at a rate of 100 watts. And this assumes you die in the first 15 seconds so your body isn't producing any heat of its own and that you don't have light shining on you heating you up. You aren't coming close to freezing. Also, if you want a direct source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...vive-outer-space-without-spacesuit-2017-5?amp says it would take 15-26 hours depending on location.

I didn't. I'm just trying to make it clear that it shouldn't apply to Saitama (and probably not to many other characters either, unless they're in deep space for hours).

The radiation resistance for being in space would also be pretty minor, since it's only at the level where you'd get sunburnt quickly (in terms of immediate effects, in the long term it would probably lower your lifespan and increase cancer risk, but that's pretty hard to demonstrate.

One resistance being in space should give you is resistance to the effects of a vacuum , which would normally cause any exposed liquid (water in eyes, tongue, nose, etc) to be vaporized.

Meanwhile, I'm just realizing that all of the Sonic X characters apply for the resistance and they currently lack it. Time for a CRT.

Didn't Saitama break free from being frozen in a manga chapter tho?

Also Saitama clearly did something in space he was not supposed to do: HOLD HIS BREATH

Also he kinda stays on the moon for at least 19 seconds

That would be just resistance to ice manip, since there is a lot more thing than just freezing happening in space vaccum.

Is there something that speaks against a Resistance to Radiation or can this be added?

What was for resistance to radiation again? The argument against it sounded pretty sound.

Blahblah9755 said:
I didn't. I'm just trying to make it clear that it shouldn't apply to Saitama (and probably not to many other characters either, unless they're in deep space for hours).

The radiation resistance for being in space would also be pretty minor, since it's only at the level where you'd get sunburnt quickly (in terms of immediate effects, in the long term it would probably lower your lifespan and increase cancer risk, but that's pretty hard to demonstrate.

One resistance being in space should give you is resistance to the effects of a vacuum , which would normally cause any exposed liquid (water in eyes, tongue, nose, etc) to be vaporized.
Do you mean this?

Yeah, I agree with that argument against resistance.

Is there a more compelling argument for Saitama to get resistance?

Either way, I think the Resistance to Ice Manip should be okay to add even if the resistance to radiations is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back