• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One-Punch Man: Planet Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's no surprise that the Earth in the One-Punch Man universe is different than our own to some degree, with the most notable proof of this being its geography (a massive Supercontinent in the middle with "7 faced islands" and possibly several more scattered in the world). Other than that, something also very interesting about One-Punch Man's Earth is its durability.

Throughout the series, we've seen several potentially world-ending attacks being fired off on top of and sometimes even within the planet without there being any notable effects to its overall stability.

Examples:

6666 Leg Grand Drill - 6-A (2.46 Petatons of TnT)*
Moon Jump - High 6-A (9.50 Petatons of TnT)
Extreme Fa Jin - High 6-A (42 Petatons of TnT)*
God Slice - High 6-A (254 Petatons of TnT)*
Serious Punch 1 - High 6-A (2.51 Exatons of TnT)
Gaia Cannon - High 6-A (5.68 Exatons of TnT)*
Serious Punch 2 - 5-C (41.66 Exatons of TnT)*
Black Hole - 5-A (247.29 Yottatons of TnT)*

* = happened within a few hours, if not the same hour of each other

As we see, there are several feats that have happened in the series that should have either have had long lasting effects on the state of Earth, or just flat out blown it apart, but the most that happened were volcano eruptions and tsunamis. This begs the question of if One-Punch Man's Earth is more durable than our own Earth.

I'd also like to note that the purpose of this thread is not to change any scaling or profiles, but rather to put the idea of the One-Punch Man's Earth being very durable up for discussion.

Eh, this could easily lead to an infinite loop.

Like if you argue "the world took THIS much damage from a high 6-A/5-C attack but didn't get giga ******, it means the world is THIS durable". You can then go back and go "the OPM world is this durable, and this attack did this much damage to it despite being far more durable than our earth, ergo the attack is actually THIS strong".

A good example would be Garou's push, it went through the whole planet and was thus calced at 5-C or whatever, but if the planet got upgraded due to surviving that attack and thus made tougher, it would indirectly cause the attack to be even higher because it didn't do that to standard earth but a super tough earth, directly causing it be become even higher, then repeat.

Basically this could easily fall into a circular loop for many attacks.

I'm neutral but leaning towards disagree unless some hard info comes into play.

Eh, this could easily lead to an infinite loop.

Like if you argue "the world took THIS much damage from a high 6-A/5-C attack but didn't get giga *****, it means the world is THIS durable". You can then go back and go "the OPM world is this durable, and this attack did this much damage to it despite being far more durable than our earth, ergo the attack is actually THIS strong".

A good example would be Garou's push, it went through the whole planet and was thus calced at 5-C or whatever, but if the planet got upgraded due to surviving that attack and thus made tougher, it would indirectly cause the attack to be even higher because it didn't do that to standard earth but a super tough earth, directly causing it be become even higher, then repeat.

Basically this could easily fall into a circular loop for many attacks.

I'm neutral but leaning towards disagree unless some hard info comes into play.
Read the OP. Not once did I imply nor directly say that the One-Punch Man Earth has a set durability. The proposal is that it is clearly more durable than our own Earth and that's it.

Read the OP. Not once did I imply nor directly say that the One-Punch Man Earth has a set durability. The proposal is that it is clearly more durable than our own Earth and that's it.
I did read the OP, this is true either way.

It'd create a paradoxical scaling. If a 5-C attack is 5-C for damaging the planet to the extent it did, and then it's argued the planet survived and thus is actually more durable than our own. It'd indirectly circle back around and elevate the 5-C feat, because the 5-C feat was calculated with the damage being done to something as durable as earth in mind, but if said earth is actually more durable, that wouldn't be the case.

It doesn't need to have some sort of set durability or value for this contradiction to exist, any arbitrary increase causes it.

It'd create a paradoxical scaling. If a 5-C attack is 5-C for damaging the planet to the extent it did, and then it's argued the planet survived and thus is actually more durable than our own. It'd indirectly circle back around and elevate the 5-C feat, because the 5-C feat was calculated with the damage being done to some as durable as earth in mind, but if said earth is actually more durable, that wouldn't be the case.
I don't think you understand what you're saying.

The Earth's crust is the Earth's crust. Garou deforming it isn't going to magically become stronger because the did it on a more durable planet.

The planet is what is more durable than our own, not the actual material that it's made of. The rock isn't going to go from a pulverization value of 214 J/cc to something like 1000 J/cc for example. That's not what a more durable planet means.

well it doesn't necessarily have to be durable in the traditional sense, it's just that it's shown time and time again to basically be resistant/immune to like collateral damage/chain reactions, to the point where it can't really be ignored

I don't think you understand what you're saying.

The Earth's crust is the Earth's crust. Garou deforming it isn't going to magically become stronger because the did it on a more durable planet.

The planet is what is more durable than our own, not the actual material. The rock isn't going to go from a pulverization value of 214 J/cc to something like 1000 J/cc for example. That's not what a more durable planet means.
Then what actually makes it more durable? If it isn't the material, then what is it? Is it gravity? The GBE?

You can't just say it's more durable without saying what makes it more durable.

Then what actually makes it more durable? If it isn't the material, then what is it? Is it gravity? The GBE?

You can't just say it's more durable without saying what makes it more durable.
Yes, the GBE. I don't think that needs to specifically be said when talking about a "more durable planet" in regards to how much energy it can take without being blown up.

Do you not realize the numerous implications that would cause? On things such as density or size (which would in turn effect most feats), or gravity itself?

If it has a higher GBE, it needs to have a reason for it. So what's giving it a higher GBE here?

actually, we don't exactly need a reason for things like this, now do we? After all, it's commonplace to just scale normal humans in verses to things beyond tier 10, purely based on our observation of it being the case, rather than there actually being an explanation for why.
It's a bit misleading to say "it needs to have a reason for it" when there really does not need to be one, as long as we can see it.

It actually does, because in order for it to have a higher GBE it must have one of the aforementioned 3 things roided out. Two of which would directly affect the feats in question or well, like 3 of the feats at least.

It can't "just" have a higher GBE, because if it does, it directly causes other qualities to be increased by direct correlation.

I feel like this is more of a case of he full extent of AOE being ignored for the sake of not destroying the earth, after all, some of those moves either propagate as impacts, earthquakes, etc but they tend to he focused on KE rather than the range of destruction most of the time

besides, most of those examples don’t really work

6666 legs grand drill was interrupted before it hit the ground

the moon jump hit boros’ ship

the whole reason extreme fa jin is high 6-A is for the drastic change it did to earth, you could argue the continent lifted should’ve been ripped off but regardless, i wouldn’t put it that far off a normal planet’s “durability”

Same case as above but i think this one speaks even less of the planet’s durability, the attack cut through the continent clean and lifted it off, so i think the intention is that the energy was mostly sent to the piece lifted than the rest of the world, perhaps it was the angle she shot too i dunno

The serious punch was not aimed towards the surface, it merely hit the sky kilometers above the ground, and it was a horizontal shockwave or gust of wind rather than a direct impact

Gaia cannon is a fair example though the lack of destruction involved was a point of contestion against using it for for a while

serious punch 2 is fair too, even if it just hit water it should’ve probably boiled the ocean too or something

The energy of the black hole feat is the energy used to create the black hole, not the energy the black hole was exerting towards the planet, it was sucking mass around it as expected but that’s what a small black hole far above the ground is expected to do, suck a lot of stuff up rather than immediately nuking the planet

Same case as above but i think this one speaks even less of the planet’s durability, the attack cut through the continent clean and lifted it off, so i think the intention is that the energy was mostly sent to the piece lifted than the rest of the world, perhaps it was the angle she shot too i dunno
The slice itself isn't important, but the sliced section of the planet falling back on Earth and causing no notable lasting damage aside from a large tsunami is
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzU2MTQzNjM2NzglMkY5MTcyNzkxODAwMzc3MDk4NDQlMkY4LnBuZw==
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzUwMzEzODgxNjAlMkY5MTcyNzkxODUyMDkyNzg0NzQlMkY5LnBuZw==
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzI4MjA5NzM2MjglMkY5MTcyNzkwNDExNTU4OTk0MjIlMkYxMC5wbmc=

Like I don't think I have to explain why something like this happening to our Earth would be world ending right?

I don't think that this indicates that the world is supernaturally durable (anymore than you'd expect outside of fiction). Most of these attacks didn't hit the world itself or just grazed it.

I think it's just suspension of disbelief. It's cool to show catastrophic attacks and feats, but for narration's sake their consequences just go as far as the writer wants.

And Chariot's points stand, those feats are that tier because they were supposedly exerted upon a planet identical to our Earth, if we were to assume OPM's Earth to be more durable than our own, then the entire premise of the calcs falls apart.

Ok, so while there may not be much convincing you all that the planet literally has increased durability at the moment, it seems we still do agree that there is a notable pattern of the ignoring the necessary side affects that should result in more destruction, and thus, we wouldn’t say for example that the ocean split serious punch can’t be 5-C, just because of that, right?

I think that's fair but only to a degree, stuff like the serious punch^2 would explicitly destroy the earth if it wasn't redirected

I think that's fair but only to a degree, stuff like the serious punch^2 would explicitly destroy the earth if it wasn't redirected
Well, yeah but that was able to destroy countless stars so that makes sense.

Basically I agree with Ziller. If not flat-out accepting that the planet is more durable, we should at the very least acknowledge the fact that Ziller brought up.

here's another example of a city (?) clearly being shattered and water and rocks being shot out at insane speed, but the ground right below Saitama really being hardly affected by any of it.
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzg3MDE0MDAxMDYlMkY5NjEzNDc3NDE3MzUzNTQ0MDglMkZwYWdlXzA5LnBuZw==
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzg0NDEzMjg3MDAlMkY5NjEzNDc3NTAyNjY1NDgyOTQlMkZwYWdlXzEwLnBuZw==

here's another example of a city (?) clearly being shattered and water and rocks being shot out at insane speed, but the ground right below Saitama really being hardly affected by any of it.
The ground beneath Saitama is rubble. I don't think we say the ground was "hardly affected".

That’s a 9-B attack’s worth of rubble.
That panel is focused in primarily on just Saitama and his immediate surroundings alone, when we can see that the attack caused devastation to an area several kilometers across at least in the earlier panel. There is no reason to think that the panel focusing on just Saitama is representative of the effects of the entire attack.

Why are you ignoring the 6-C levels of destruction one panel prior 😐
I'm not, that's the point.
It's tier 6 destruction one panel, but where there should be a notable crater or anything indicating an attack that massive, there's nothing
it's not that the attack didn't happen or wasn't that strong, it's that the obvious side effects are clearly ignored
That panel is focused in primarily on just Saitama and his immediate surroundings alone, when we can see that the attack caused devastation to an area several kilometers across at least in the earlier panel. There is no reason to think that the panel focusing on just Saitama is representative of the effects of the entire attack.
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzYyNTE5MzA2NTclMkY5NjEzNDc3NzUzMDIzNDg5MDAlMkZwYWdlXzEzLnBuZw==
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uZGlzY29yZGFwcC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMlMkY5MTcyMzEwMzI4MjA5NzM2MjglMkY5NjEzNDc4MDYwOTI3MjIyMTYlMkZwYWdlXzE4LnBuZw==

it's very evident that there is no crater where an impact that fragmented a large city should be

the point of this is to show how consistent it is for attacks that are visually one tier to have side effects inconsistent with the actual power that they are shown to do
it's like if you throw a regular 9-C rock into a skyscraper and the whole thing blows up, but the rock is still intact. That doesn't mean the attack isn't 8-B or whatever.
It's essentially just plot induced durability, where a feat can't be discounted due to a lack of Damage™️ that should be immediately present.
This is just another one on top of the many examples.

It's tier 6 destruction one panel, but where there should be a notable crater or anything indicating an attack that massive, there's nothing
But there is? Saitama is just at the bottom of the now completely wiped out city?

okay but what I mean is
crater missing.
no good.
You could easily just blame that on Murata depicting it a certain way instead of drawing a giant crater instead.

It's not evidence that the ground is supernaturally durable.

It's essentially just plot induced durability, where a feat can't be discounted due to a lack of Damage™️ that should be immediately present.

... Are you just talking about the AOE Fallacy?

You could easily just blame that on Murata depicting it a certain way instead of drawing a giant crater instead.

It's not evidence that the ground is supernaturally durable.
I don't think that's what Ziller is claiming. Instead, he's saying that there has been a consistent and repeating pattern in the OPM world where attacks that should cause widespread destruction has simply just not. And whether this means that the planet is super durable, or just ONE and Murata deliberately choosing not to show the side-effects due to the need for the story to go on, we can't just ignore it, as it's happened more than several times.

What does not ignoring it mean in this case though? What would we be doing differently?

What does not ignoring it mean in this case though? What would we be doing differently?
Well considering there are a handful of feats that we've scrapped the KE version of due to the lack of catastrophic effects, not ignoring how Murata and ONE disregard that would probably allow us to bring them back.

Well considering there are a handful of feats that we've scrapped the KE version of due to the lack of catastrophic effects, not ignoring how Murata and ONE disregard that would probably allow us to bring them back.
Hmm, I'm not in favor of that. I don't think it'd be a good idea to make a special exception for OPM here.

Hmm, I'm not in favor of that. I don't think it'd be a good idea to make a special exception for OPM here.
While you have the right to disagree with the proposal, I'm confused on what you mean by a "special exception." For stuff like this, don't we have to look at it case-by-case?

I don't see how it's a bad idea.
The reason one punch man is an exception is due to the pattern that's been established in the series, where plot induced durability is a very real thing. If there were people from other verses who were to follow, then there's no guarantee that this would actually mean anything for them, since they would need their own proof.

Doesn't need to? The actual destruction shown is consistent with the aftermath?
okay but like if you were to shoot a pancake with a gun, it wouldn't hold up, but what if the pancake kinda just shatters into pieces, but the bullet didn't really pass through it at all
like, it would be consistent with the pancake not being able to handle the 9-C energy, but also that would be wacky as hell, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back