• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Okami Upgrades

Aren't Shiranui and Amaterasu the same though?
Well yes, but actually no.

Amaterasu is Shiranui's reincarnation. However, they are still considered the same God(ddess in the case of Ammy).

However, she would scale to him regardless at the end of the game, since she managed to get her full power back.

But the villagers only called the wolf "Shiranui" in the prologue, that wasn't the wolf's actual name
Okamiden confirmed his name was in fact Shiranui. And even more, straight called him Chibi's "ancestor". He is a different being to Ammy, while having the same... Soul? Essence? Meh.

Edit: Shiranui himself called Chibi his "grandson", not his "son". He isn't Ammy. Here

It's been some years since I played Okami and Okamiden, where was it said that Shiranui was the prologue wolf's name? And where was it said 'Prologue wolf' was male? I want to check the Japanese version to cross-examine
Here Shiranui is called a different incarnation to Ammy. (Also note how the games keep calling him Shiranui, even people that would know if he was called "Amaterasu", like Isshaku in Okamiden and the games' omniscient narrator)

Edit: Oh, about his gender. At around the 2 minute mark in the Okamiden video I posted earlier, Isshaku calls Shiranui "the big guy".

Last edited:
@LephyrTheRevanchist I screenshotted the entire Japanese version of the interaction (because I'm crazy) and I'd like to confirm and debunk your words a little. Shiranui (or Isshaku if your picky) refers to Chibi by the kanji '孫' which means grandchild or descendant, and is gender neutral, so unless there's more evidence, Chibi's gender is to be confirmed

And in the sentence where 'big guy' is supposed to be, it's not mentioned in the Japanese text:

'それでちょっと怪我をしちまったんだ'

@LephyrTheRevanchist I screenshotted the entire Japanese version of the interaction (because I'm crazy) and I'd like to confirm and debunk your words a little. Shiranui (or Isshaku if your picky) refers to Chibi by the kanji '孫' which means grandchild or descendant, and is gender neutral, so unless there's more evidence, Chibi's gender is to be confirmed

And in the sentence where 'big guy' is supposed to be, it's not mentioned in the Japanese text:

'それでちょっと怪我をしちまったんだ'
"My words"

You mean the translation of the game, if anything, lol.

But yeah. Two different incarnations. Which, like I said, at the end of the day is irrelevant, as Ammy would scale regardless with her end game key.

@LephyrTheRevanchist This might be interesting:
  • Since Chibiterasu is both the child and grandchild of Amaterasu, in legends, he corresponds with Ninigi-no-Mikoto (「瓊瓊杵尊」?; also "Ame-nigishi-kuni-nigishi-amatsuhiko-hiko-ho-no-ninigi-no-Mikoto).

@LephyrTheRevanchist This might be interesting:
  • Since Chibiterasu is both the child and grandchild of Amaterasu, in legends, he corresponds with Ninigi-no-Mikoto (「瓊瓊杵尊」?; also "Ame-nigishi-kuni-nigishi-amatsuhiko-hiko-ho-no-ninigi-no-Mikoto).
Pretty cool.

One I don't have on hand, but it was Susanoo pushing a giant ass few thousand ton boulder off a cliff and blocking entrance to town (Class K because friction and pushing).
Other one I do have on hand, been meaning to calc it, it's Shiranui benching a Class 100-K boulder and flipping it.
These two feats still need to be calced.

The first one I can search for the clip.

Edit: Here we can see how big the boulder is when compared to Susano'o (although he's crouching a bit).

Here we are shown him pushing it.

Last edited:
Busy atm but Susano is larger than the typical japanese man, he's quite a bit taller than most NPC's. Probably just use average height for him.

Alternatively, one could go about it by getting Ammy's height (I'd say use the F4F scale statues or 1:1 Bust of her to get her actual size) and from there, scale him off her.

Officially licensed and they've gone on record they have to run by all the details with the main company, to make sure everything is correct from big things to miniscule details, everything has to be checked first. So the sizes and scale should be 100% accurate. The PVC ones ain't scale figures tho so ignore that.

It should, they include the very bottom to the highest point so people know if they got space to fit it.

Though if it was me, I'd take one of the full body figures, and scale her off that. The statues dimensions include total height from bottom of base to the highest point, furthest width to width, and depth to depth.
Taking any one of those scaling Ammy in any particular way you want and then just upscaling it based on the statue's scale would work.

For example, Shiranui's statue is 46cm wide, and let's say we get him, himself, to be 40cm wide, the figure is 1/4th scale, bam, multiply by 4.

He's 160cm long.

For example, something like that?

But you could do the same with the bust, get the total bust height, from base to Issun. Get Ammy alone. Basic subtraction from there.

You didn't really, you checked a line in Okamiden, but said line has been known to be a eng thing for years, it's common knowledge at this point, it's vague as **** and the PS2 version actually used male pronouns which only further complicated it, Okamiden isn't why people think this. At the end of the day there's stuff in regards to both and people can call it him, her, or whatever the **** they want because it's ambiguous and it could be either.
Secondly, I don't care and this doesn't matter in the slightest.

My dude, the Okami wiki has a section with Shiranui's gender controversy with a screencap of the original japanese text saying that chibi didnt call him that.
It's common knowledge. And last I checked yeah, PS2 only though, not in the Wii (dont know about the HD release).

People can call him whatever they want, you're effectively derailing the thread by getting up on people because they wanna call him a dude because it's vague, hell notice how in the F4F descriptions they don't call him a male or a chick? They use gender neutral pronouns, because it's intentionally left vague and never confirmed, this extends in other games as well like MVC or everything else, it's just one of those ambiguous things that people can decide whatever they want. I personally go with male because Shiranui is physically larger than Ammy, which in wolves is a common trait among males, which tend to be larger than females.

Now drop it and do what this thread is meant to do, make a Okami discussion thread if ya want to discuss stuff like this.

No problem. Thank you for helping out.

Back