• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm a bit late to all this so feel free to disregard this if it the thread is wrapping up but does anyone else think that rank-based scaling is a bit sketchy here?

So Genin-level Neji has this said for him:

So Neji is clearly a stand-out from the other Genin as he's got Massively Hypersonic combat speed while they're averaging at around Subsonic+ level.

But the thing is that a fair number of those Genins could have been labelled Chunin as a result of the Chunin Exams. They must definitely have been at the "Chunin's level" to even make it through the Chunin Exam.

Yet obviously they wouldn't all scale to Neji's speed just because he's a Chunin level and they would've been promoted to Chunin.

So not all Chunin are inherently superior in speed to all Genin given that Neji was Massively Hypersonic level while we had other Chunin-level characters at Subsonic+.

So why exactly are all Jonin-level characters being assumed to be superior in speed to all Chunin-level characters (including Neji).

I haven't really been following the thread so perhaps this has been addressed.
Don't really care to summarize, but they can start reading it from here where Damage addresses it. It's not too much to read methinks.

What are the main supporting reasons for each?
Supporting MHS Jounin:

• Unlike the Chunin Rank, which requires you to pass a Chunin Exam of miscellaneous tests not always stat related to become a Chunin, Jounin is a rank without a known requirement other than you need to be well-rounded in several areas. We know this because there is a Tokubetsu(Special) Jounin Rank, for Chunin that possess one or some Jounin-level qualities.
  • Neji is considered on the level of a Chunin despite his Genin Rank in both the Databooks and the manga.
  • The Databooks support this idea that there is some capacity of Strength and Skill dividing the individual ranks(although this can be taken with a grain of salt because we know that's not always the case for Chunin.)

If Jounin has a prerequisite level for many different areas and MHS Neji is only considered at the level of a Chunin, then the average Jounin, a rank implied to require being powerful and well-rounded to achieve with no tournament that could give wiggle room like the Chunin Exams, should at least be as fast as he is.

Against MHS Jounin
does anyone else think that rank-based scaling is a bit sketchy here?

So Genin-level Neji has this said for him:

So Neji is clearly a stand-out from the other Genin as he's got Massively Hypersonic combat speed while they're averaging at around Subsonic+ level.

But the thing is that a fair number of those Genins could have been labelled Chunin as a result of the Chunin Exams. They must definitely have been at the "Chunin's level" to even make it through the Chunin Exam.

Yet obviously they wouldn't all scale to Neji's speed just because he's a Chunin level and they would've been promoted to Chunin.

So not all Chunin are inherently superior in speed to all Genin given that Neji was Massively Hypersonic level while we had other Chunin-level characters at Subsonic+.

So why exactly are all Jonin-level characters being assumed to be superior in speed to all Chunin-level characters (including Neji).
this is more or less the stance with more info on Damage/KT's following comments on Page 5

Current Staff Votes:
It is mostly contentious rn with Tracer supporting MHS while KT and Damage support HH+, and Slayer being Neutral.

But there is also the middle ground that has been mentioned before but not really voted on yet of:

At least HH+, possibly/likely MHS

which is probably fitting given how controversial this seems to have been so far.

Last edited:
Supporting MHS Jounin:

• Unlike the Chunin Rank, which requires you to pass a Chunin Exam of miscellaneous tests not always stat related to become a Chunin, Jounin is a rank without a known requirement other than you need to be well-rounded in several areas. We know this because there is a Tokubetsu(Special) Jounin Rank, for Chunin that possess one or some Jounin-level qualities.
  • Neji is considered on the level of a Chunin despite his Genin Rank in both the Databooks and the manga.
  • The Databooks support this idea that there is some capacity of Strength and Skill dividing the individual ranks(although this can be taken with a grain of salt because we know that's not always the case for Chunin.)

If Jounin has a prerequisite level for many different areas and MHS Neji is only considered at the level of a Chunin, then the average Jounin, a rank implied to require being powerful and well-rounded to achieve should at least be as fast as him.

Against MHS Jounin

this is more or less the stance with more info on Damage/KT's following comments on Page 5
my-man-my-man-hd.gif

Not really a fan of the rank system and have my own gripes with it (similar to Damage) but I'm to exhausted to debate that topic (people continue ignoring the bold text at the top of my message wall...), regardless I don't it's inherently bad to scale them to MHS as it's not completely improbable. So I'd say they should be at least HH, likely MHS but if no one wants a compromise I'm fine with MHS. I'll probably bring my thoughts on the whole rank system to the Naruto discussion thread when I'm feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back