• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Nicol Bolas and Ugin upgrade for War of the Spark

Title.

Nicol Bolas
Extrasensory Perception: When I was reading the novel, I recalled Bolas feeling the movement and places off all the planeswalkers on Ravnica

Power Mimicry: It says on his card that he has all the abilities of each planeswalker card on the battlefield, so that's straight up Power Mimicry

For Neowalker Bolas: I feel like his new tier needs to be this: "At least 4-A. 2-A with the Elderspell". The Elderspell would make Bolas go back to his former power once complete. Even if 2-A Elderspell gets rejected, I think it could still go "At least 4-A. Higher with the Elderspell"

New Key for Bolas? After his spark got stolen, he became massively weaker. The Tier would be "Unknown" and his powers and abilities would be "All previous powers to a waker extent. Lost Type 1 Immortality" because it said Bolas would eventually die of old age. The key name should be named "Nameless and Imprisoned". Although, I don't if this key is 100% nessecary

Ugi
Conceptual Manipulation and Summoning Negation: Apparently, Ugin removed both of Nicol Bolas's names, so he would not be summoned again.

Clairvoyance and another Justification for type 8 Immo: Ugin said that Nicol Bolas's gem contained part of him, and he knew everything that Bolas was doing

BFR: Trapped Bolas in the Prison Realm.

If I'm missing anything, or if there are walkers that need revising too, please discuss it down below. Thanks.

Thanks for bringing the novel up here; MTG needs a lot of reworking as it is and I haven't yet caught up on the most recent material.

Could you by any chance provide the quotes/scans for each of the powers? If not, that's fine, but you'll have to wait for me to get the novel and read through to confrim everything here.

Additionally, if there's anything new you noticed from other stories, I'm all ears; contact me or SinsofMa as we're currently reading through all materials on MtG to confirm/debunk feats and abilities.

Being a "threat to the entire Multiverse" is honestly something Bolas is justified being called just through being a planeswalker with his set of powers. As for becoming a "god" that's probably just reffering to him acheiving his pre-Mending strength, which was his goal, after all.

When are the Amonkhet Gods stated to be abstract beings?

Being connected to a plane's leylines just means you control the flow of mana; it doesn't mean you embody it.

Nissa can control leylines, for example.

Not really. It's just manipulating the flow of magic.

At best you can use it to boost/fuel massively powerful spells and also deny people acess to magic, a-la Nahiri's hedrons.

I gotta go find it at the library or download it on libgen, but bolas in general need stuff done.

Following and I will come back to this.

I have been needing to make a Planeswalker Physiology blog/page for a while now, I have just been super lazy.

As for the CRT...Uhh

I think it seems fine? At least for Bolas. Alot of Ugin abilities seem to be guess work.

Him taking Bolas name is closer to Summoning Negation/Magic, not so much conceptual manipulation.

Summoning planeswalkers usually means you have to know them and their name, so it is closest to an incantantion/word then anything.

And the BFR thing is only applicable via prep time, but I guess it is fine?

For Bolas, I am fine with 'At least 4-A, possibly higher with the Elder Spell'.

I do think he can achieve his old level of strength with it and the hype seems to go along with it, but I am unsure if I am ready to rend judgement considering we never see him finish the spell and if you asked me, current writers have been unable to properly gauge new planeswalker power for years now.

╠Âh╠Âo╠Âw╠ ╠Ât╠Âh╠Âe╠Ân╠ ╠Âh╠Âe╠Âl╠Âl╠ ╠Âc╠Âa╠Ân╠ ╠Âo╠Ân╠Âe╠ ╠Âf╠Âl╠Âa╠Âm╠Âe╠ ╠Âg╠Âi╠Âr╠Âl╠ ╠Âk╠Âi╠Âl╠Âl╠ ╠Ât╠Âh╠Âr╠Âe╠Âe╠ ╠Âl╠Âo╠Âv╠Âe╠Âc╠Âr╠Âa╠Âf╠Ât╠Âs╠ ╠Âa╠Ân╠Âd╠ ╠Ân╠Âo╠Ât╠ ╠Ât╠Âh╠Âr╠Âe╠Âe╠ ╠Ân╠Âe╠Âa╠Âr╠ ╠Âo╠Âm╠Ân╠Âi╠Âp╠Âo╠Ât╠Âe╠Ân╠Ât╠ ╠Âp╠Âl╠Âa╠Ân╠Âe╠Âs╠Âw╠Âa╠Âl╠Âk╠Âe╠Âr╠Âs╠Â,╠ ╠Âe╠Âx╠Âp╠Âl╠Âa╠Âi╠Ân╠ ╠ÂW╠Âi╠Âz╠Âa╠Âr╠Âd╠Âs╠Â.╠Â

Power Mimicry, Extrasensory Perception etc seems fine.

BFR is fine with prep, but I am still fine with it.

Others I am neutral/opposed. Especially the Conceptual Manipulation.

The more accurate ability might be 'Word Manipulation' but idk if we have that on wiki.

I think the Power Mimicry is more in line with Power Absorption, as in the story the Elderspell's purpose is for an eternal (gifted by Nicol Bolas with the spell) to make contact with a planeswalker, remove their spark, the spark kills the eternal, then Bolas absorbs the spark's power, adding it to his own.

For context this is what happened when eternal Bontu touched Bolas after Lilliana took full control of the Eternals.

But perhaps weakened by the effort—or by the spear still sticking out of his chest—he was too slow to stop Bontu, who bit its former master on the wrist.

At once and automatically, Bontu began harvesting all the Sparks the Elderspell had granted the dragon. All of them, all at once. Bontu absorbed these Sparks but could not contain them. She ruptured into shards, exploding in a light so bright, I had to screw shut my eyes

- War of the Spark: Ravnica - Ashes

This would also evidently give Nicol Bolas Power Bestowal.

Perhaps if Ugin has it, but I don't remember Bolas ever using it if he did. It also makes much more sense that Ugin would wield it over Bolas as Ugin is the neutralizer opposed to Bolas being the conqueror.

I'm at a crossroads because the novel is apparently just a 400+ page long fight where a bunch of scaling, abilities, and feats inevitably happen, but the stuff I heard from it is so bad I'd rather read something that wouldn't make me want to dump it into my fireplace.

Yeah that's basically it combined with the protagonists doing a bunch of just, stuff, as if the goal of the book was to cram in as much of everything as possible.

The only slightly nice thing is that the chapters are very short (like 2 pages at times) because each chapter has a different character perspective, so one could select an induvial character to follow, record their feats, and read less of it (in return of fully not understanding what's going on, yeah it's not great)

Bump.

I read a little bid of the novel again, and Nicol Bolas should have Dream Manipulation due to the fact that when the Elderspell was working, he was giving nightmares to people across the multiverse

Back