• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Negative Theology Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was always coming, no need for introductions. I'll jump straight in, here to finish up something Ultima proposed along time ago changes to the standards of negative theology.

Correcting misconceptions #1

No negative theology is not God is indescribable, for the people who say it is and say oh why is that tierable and negative theology is not simply God being beyond conception for those who say it is and scales 1 layer above the cosmology.

Summary of negative theology

Negative theology is an theological view about how God transcends "being" or ontology. A being of apophasis is regarded as inaccessible not only sensibly/to the sensible world or in simpler terms physically or anything within the confines of the material world and its extensions but intelligibly/comprehensively.

Negativa, via remotionis or apophatike, is seen in
the fact that it is the destruction of the last illusion
of reason and objectivity. The process of neantisation
cuts across all categories pretending objectivity, none
of which permits raising the primal question. Intellect,
the specialized aspect of the self as a form of conscious-
ness properly directed towards objectivity, must be com-
pletely discarded as ineffectual. The neo-Platonist is
acutely aware that the function of intellect is existen-
tially direct to objects and can evoke only the dimension
of objectivity; 'at home' in this relation, it ceases to
be when subjectivity emerges as primal instress and logic
becomes defunct. The way of negation is essentially a
purgation, an asceticism, indispensable for attaining
subjectivity. Due to the spatio-temporal imagery insepar-
able from human thinking, no direct approach to interiority
is accessible to intellect; the only accessibility is given by the purgation of all modes of limitation, objectivity
and reasoning. Since all intellectual knowledge bears on
being, and every being is limited, then, by consequence, that which stands beyond being stands also beyond knowledge
-
it is beyond knowable (ü, repäyvwaTov) because it is beyond
limit. One is confronted with the intellectually inacces-
sible and unimaginable.
It's also not just simply being described in negative terms as people suggest; it is described in negative terms primarily because the being exists beyond intelligibility. That means for beings like us who can only understand everything that's a subset of intelligibility we can never hope to grasp something beyond intelligibility, even being beyond intelligibility is a subset of intelligibility hence every description is only describing what is not the being but what is interior to the being that being the subset of intelligibility entirely.

Correcting a few misconceptions #2

Being indescribable or being said to be completely beyond all descriptions is not nearly enough to attest for the existence of a being following apophasis, as such descriptions themselves are a subset of intelligibility. The only beings that qualify for apophasis are beings that are exempt from the ineffability paradox.

Ineffability paradox:
Mystics and mystically minded philosophers have often claimed that God, the Godhead,
nirvana, the Dao or some other object of mystical experience is ineffable, that it cannot be
described or put into words. This claim is so deeply connected to virtually all kinds of
mysticism that William James declared ineffability to be the first of four essential properties
of mystical experience.1
But there is a severe problem about the statement that God or any
other object of mystical experience is ineffable: how can I meaningfully say about some-
thing that it is ineffable? For if it were ineffable, I could not say anything about it, not even
that it is ineffable. And vice versa, if I can say about it that it is ineffable, there is at least one
thing I can say about it – namely, that it is ineffable – and then it cannot be ineffable. It
seems as if any proposition of the form ‘X is ineffable’ (I shall call this the ineffability thesis)
is paradoxical or self-defeating. But if nothing can meaningfully be said to be ineffable, then
the ineffable would not be very interesting – because nothing can be said about it. And even
worse: All mystical claims about God’s ineffability, all theories of God’s nature and of
mystical experience based on this claim will become pointless, since anything follows from
a contradictory statement. So, if mysticism is supposed to have any philosophical meaning,
we ought to find a way to resolve this paradox. Is it possible to say that something is
ineffable without contradicting oneself? Or is any such utterance self-defeating and analy-
tically false, simply because of the meaning of the term ineffable?
In simple terms
If P is ineffable P can be described as ineffable which is a description hence P is not ineffable as descriptions and predicates that positively apply P are a subset of intelligibility which apophasis transcends hence P is not apophatic as there's atleast one positive description that applies to it.

Likewise a being Inverse that is said to be beyond another being regarded as apophatic the being that's transcended shouldn't be regarded as part of apophasis. The positive description for such a being, being that the being in itself exists inferior to anther being applies to it which is a positive description that applies to this set being thought of as part of apophatic. Hence I urge that the term "apophatic" shouldn't be loosely thrown to verses that don't follow the strict requirements of what it means to be apophatic.

Beings that would qualify

A being ascribed as ineffable, indescribable and inconceivable obviously doesn't qualify as said above. However with the help of such descriptions and the implementation of the ineffability thesis such a being would qualify.

The ineffability thesis states that

Ineffability Thesis: For any proposition P ∈ P, not(F(P))
and not(F(not-P))
Every true proposition about how God is intrinsically is non-fundamental.
There are no true, fundamental propositions about how God is intrinsically.6
How does that relate to the claim that God is ineffable? It will be helpful,
in this regard, to introduce the idea of the metaphysics room from Sider. We
enter the metaphysics room by stipulating that we intend the things we say
to express only fundamental propositions. If there is a fundamental truth
near enough to what we mean, then we intend to express that proposition.
If there is a fundamental proposition near enough, but its negation is funda-
mentally true, then we asserted something, but what we asserted is false. If,
on the other hand, no fundamental proposition, no perfectly joint carving
proposition, is near enough to what we mean, then we have not asserted
anything. By entering the metaphysics room, we agree to limit ourselves
in what we can say. We shall assert fundamental propositions, and nothing
else.
If the Ineffability Thesis is true, and we enter the theology room, we
can do nothing but remain silent. We could say nothing whatsoever. If
we wished to describe God in any way, as loving, merciful, long-suffering,
we would have to leave the theology room. We would have to give up on
our goal of expressing only fundamental truths. We could not even assert
the central doctrines of the Christian faith. God is one in ousia, three in
hypostasis. If the Ineffability Thesis were true, even these would fail to be
fundamental truths about God.
For any description or predicate P for being T even descriptions or predicates such as P being ineffable. The predicates and description P aren't enough to capture the true essence of T as such predicates cause P to be induced to the Ineffability Paradox.

How this is resolved in negative theology is through the ineffability thesis which states that being P would exist beyond not only conceivability but even ineffability which is a predicate which is a subset of intelligibility as being P transcends intelligibility hence because P is beyond predicates we can only remain silent if we wish to strive closer to P.

I hope I don't get the already annoying comments of "nasuverse wanker" but this is just the easiest example I could find using the swirl of the Root.

「 」is the true essence of the root, it represents what the ineffability thesis stands for. 「 」is something that can't be described or named so even the predicates of it being inconceivable cannot apply to it hence even descriptions of it being 「indescribable」doesn't apply to it and it is inferior to it hence why it's true essence is 「 」the true nothingness that can't have predicates even predicates implying ineffability.

If you really wished to pronounce this term, call it “Kara.”
Its meaning varied depending on each individual’s understanding. To put it in simple terms, it was the Spiral of Origin.
However, since the Spiral of Origin was called the Spiral of Origin, it was no longer “ ”.
To properly express this term was a source of headache during the production of the drama CDs.
This is why I suggested the term Spiral of Origin being seperated from「 」 because it goes against negative theology. However I faced quite alot of "ignorant comments" with people saying it's ratified as Spiral of Origin refers to the indescribable thing.

However the apophasis thing cannot have references to it by virtue of subsets of intelligibility, it goes against apophasis hence either it gets seperated or the idea of it having negative theology gets removed and it gets sent to the 1-C and verse shall cap there.

Keypoint: Every verse thought to have apophasis but doesn't meet the requirements named above should have apophasis removed from them.

I digress, moving on.

Proposal for a change in apophasis tiering

Now that I've went over how strict it would be to get apophasis, it's strict because atleast 70% of the verses regarded as having apophasis don't meet the requirements to have it and either contradict it or don't implement the ineffability thesis at all.

Let's get into the logic of how apophasis should be scaled

Why logic? hey it forms the underlying basis for every tier in this shitty I mean mathematically based tiering system of course.

It also deals with the "nlf" spammer who lack argumentative creativity or whatnot.

A=A or T(A)⇔A, basic tautology in logic, how this relates to the apophasis scaling is that a description is a description and every description is a part of intelligibility or a subset of it that which negative theology transcends. What this means is even when we have cosmology X that scales to P and Theoretical only has X amount of descriptions God wouldn't just transcend the descriptions in the verse and it being limited only to the verse.

The reason for that is even descriptions that are not in the verse are still descriptions which apophasis exists beyond saying its limited to the ones Inverse for a couple of reasons.

If for all x ∈ P, X being descriptions of course P being intelligibility and negative theology transcending P; logically speaking it would transcend every x in P.

X ⇔X translate X if and only if X, X is X of and only if it's X and saying X is not X implies X is not X. That is to say every description is a description whether it exists in the verse or not, those that don't exist in the verse are still descriptions hence fall under X regardless saying otherwise is paradoxical because it implies a description is not a description which a description being a description should be tautology and should be true by necessity.

Hence apophasis existing beyond P which contains all X even X that doesn't exist in a set verse, would imply it's transcendence to not be limited to a set cosmos but even beyond that.

Obviously there's an easier route I just wanted to make the first route clear for those who'd question the second route.

The second route is

Well P being indescribable is just die to its intrinsic nature and not the limitations of human conception or intelligibility no. P is indescribable by virtue of being indescribable there's no other alternative. Hence there's no need to spam "NLF" and say it only suffices P being beyond descriptions Inverse and justifying it by saying it's due to the limitations of beings in the cosmology of P.

It's already paradoxical as demonstrated in the first route.

Moving on to the actual proposal, I'd like to borrow an argument I proposed in the previous thread for high 1-A swirl of the Root beforehand to make this easier to demonstrate.

Suppose we have an Euclidean vector space specifically a space which is still an infinite space but with limits because for any dimension X, it would be infinite, but the limit comes from the next dimension, which is a directly higher infinity.

So for 2 dimensions, it would be infinity^infinity/R×R and the idea is carried on to any dimension up to 1-A+ the arithmetic and principle stays the same all the way up to 1-A+, the limit of the infinity relative to the first dimension would be infinity|^infinity, it can't reach the second dimension which is a higher infinity

As you know, power setting one infinity to reach another is an arithmetic operation that carries on all the way up to 1-A+ as well, and power setting a set of natural numbers is 2^n or infinity^infinity, which is still similar arithmetic to the Euclidean Vector spaces Geometry stacking of any dimension X takes 2 dimensions for now being infinity^infinity.

Now suppose have a description for the first dimension, the description of the second dimension is still a description to which P is inaccessible to.

If you pile on descriptions for P, that continues on infinitely you still can't reach P, the operator this time won't be powersetting or something akin to S(x). This time the operators are the descriptions themselves if for any description of God serves only to be inaccessibly inferior to P and the operators still carry on attempting to reach P up to 1-A+ because the operators in question can extend up there at the very least and P still can't be reached.

Similar to the argument of infinity above, P's property of "unreachability" which is consistently reiterated would theoretically suffice as being an existence that's high 1-A at the very least.

So the proposal obviously would be to buff apophasis to high 1-A at the very least possibly higher.

Side comment

Well apophasis is just ontologically superior to absolute infinity as well.

It would be of great help if tdjwo participated in this thread because he is a fairly knowledgeable on negative theology. I won't have alot of time to immediately respond to everything well... Cause my health is very poor now and I'm on meds.

But if there are any problems I'll be here to address them.

If it's possible i hope this can changed into a staff thread cause I'm too lazy to rewrite again

Based on our discussions earlier, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Also, great job, and I wish you a steady recovery.

I disagree with negative theology to be automatically tiered to tier 1. Also, not sure but you are supposed to link the scans

This is supposed to be a staff discussion thread.
Well it isn't yet, is it?

Regardless, this is just a Nasuverse CRT disguised as a site revision thread.

This has already been denied multiple times in the past, and the reasons have not changed.

There is no issue with how we currently tier Negative Theology that is solved by this thread.

This has already been denied multiple times in the past, and the reasons have not changed.
I was seriously not looking for this thread to get weird early on but it really can't helped when the site is vs battle wiki.com

There is no issue with how we currently tier Negative Theology.
Well, It is a staff discussion thread. It's shown in the OP's post. Just delete your unnecessary comments man.

Last edited:
ONCE AGAIN THIS IS A STAFF DISCUSSION THREAD. WE ARE TRYING TO MINIMIZE THE AMOUNT OF DERAILS HERE SO PLEASE IF YOU ARENT PERMITTED TO COMMENT, DELETE YOUR COMMENTS.

Did I really need to capitalize these?

Definitely worth reading since you're the one who opened this lol

So following, will read it later

To be sure,
If you really wished to pronounce this term, call it “Kara.”
Its meaning varied depending on each individual’s understanding. To put it in simple terms, it was the Spiral of Origin.
However, since the Spiral of Origin was called the Spiral of Origin, it was no longer “ ”.
To properly express this term was a source of headache during the production of the drama CDs.
Is this the only in-verse scan that you are trying to upgrade it to high 1-A?

It is still a content revision, you can simply report me in RvR, till then, I have absolutely every right to comment in CRT.

It is still a content revision, you can simply report me in RvR, till then, I have absolutely every right to comment in CRT.
No you literally don't. Staff-based threads are called staff based for a reason. You are not a staff member. Your opinion is irrelevant and all you're doing is derailing which is precisely why this thread was made staff-only initially yet I don't understand why you think you're entitled to keep talking about something you have absolutely no knowledge on. You do this every time. Can't you listen?

Any staff member that sees this, please delete any non-staff member comment and thread ban anyone that trespasses. This is already annoying.

No you literally don't. Staff-based threads are called staff based for a reason. You are not a staff member. Your opinion is irrelevant and all you're doing is derailing which is precisely why this thread was made staff-only initially yet I don't understand why you think you're entitled to keep talking about something you have absolutely no knowledge on. You do this every time. Can't you listen?

Any staff member that sees this, please delete any non-staff member comment and thread ban anyone that trespasses. This is already annoying.
f0707bbaed913ac2107afbf4bfff80df.png

Does not sound like a staff thread for me.

One verse was named another one is named
Whats 1+1?
I asked a simple question, you are intending to insult me? I asked if this is the single in-verse scan you are using to suggest high 1-A for the mentioned relevant characters.

I asked a simple question, you are intending to insult me? I asked if this is the single in-verse scan you are using to suggest high 1-A for the mentioned relevant characters.
How tf was that an insult, I already said I misread and I'm "sorry".

I'm saying the question doesn't matter the main point was to make an example of what the ineffability thesis is.

How tf was that an insult, I already said I misread and I'm "sorry".
When you insinuate that I am incapable of calculating a simple equation like 1+1, despite its irrelevance to my main question, it can be interpreted as an intentional insult to my comprehension.

However, it appears that the issue lies with your own understanding rather than mine.
I'm saying the question doesn't matter the main point was to make an example of what the ineffability thesis is.
The question holds relevance because when upgrading something to high 1-A, it necessitates the inclusion of in-verse scans as supporting evidence.

@Theoretical I would advise we shouldn't bother replying these guys until the staff members come and read through the content of the crt. It's pointless and a waste of time arguing with Dread and co. Her opinion doesn't matter anyways. Wait for the staff members to come before it gets too cluttered.

When you insinuate that I am incapable of calculating a simple equation like 1+1, despite its irrelevance to my main question, it can be interpreted as an intentional insult to my comprehension.
OH my God you ****...

I already said sorry what more do you want
The question holds relevance because when upgrading something to high 1-A, it necessitates the inclusion of in-verse scans as supporting evidence.
OH my lord there's no verse upgrade this is about negative theology what inverse scans do you want
@Theoretical I would advise we shouldn't bother replying these guys until the staff members come and read through the content of the crt. It's pointless and a waste of time arguing with Dread and co. Her opinion doesn't matter anyways. Wait for the staff members to come before it gets too cluttered.
This is bad for my hypertension so I'll just wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back