• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto Moon Conundrum (Potential Upgrades)

This thread is meant to discuss a bit of an issue with the Naruto's Verse Moon that was brought up in the Discussion thread.

Issue: The moon in Naruto is consistently portrayed to have Earth Like Gravity.

• This is backed by the fact that Naruto and Co didn't know they were actually in the moon until after Toneri retrieved Hinata and Blasted a Hole in it. We know the moon is a Six Paths Chibaku Tensei, but years before the Last, Madara broke that seal by summoning the Gedou. Now when a Chibaku tensei's seal is broken/Destroyed or released, the debris falls away from the core. The Naruto moon isn't doing this because it's massive and has it's own gravity due to it's massive size.
As with any Celestial Body. The issue surrounding this is that:

• The moon was breaking apart here and there as it Approached Earth
  • The Kages even discussed the moon completely shattering due to their planets gravity (Which is typical in Smaller Mass approaching larger ones)
Now the issue with THIS is that:

• It's implied the moon wasn't going to fully shatter.
Something should be considered a Contradiction, but the issue is the moon being portrayed as having Earth Like Gravity is consistent and the moon slowly breaking apart was consistent, how do we go about this because if the moon is accepted as having a similar Mass to Earth (In order to have Earth Like Gravity without us making any false assumptions like, "Hamura did something to the moon", with no proof) taht will upgrade the God Tiers.

Note: I understand Kep is the "Deciding Factor" here and he's against it, but his reasoning is 50/50 in terms of being wrong and Right and he's not taking context and implication into consideration.

• He's arguing The Moon is following what would happen to a Object like the moon, as it approached the Roche Limit of Naruto's Earth
  • He's arguing that two equal masses will collide with each other (Which is false as Barycenter explains)
  • He's not taking into consideration that The moon's portrayed Gravity is Just as consistent as the Moon's approache to the Roche Limit
  • He's not taking into consideration that the moon is literally meant to collide with earth (Toneri implied as such as well as the Barrier Protecting the castle is meant to protect it and it's inhabitants from a literal Collision of the Moon and Earth)
I get how we use science to calc and decide stuff, but at the same time, in a verse where people are breathing in outer space, moving Celetial Objects with TK, attempting to Eradicate Dimensions, we shouldn't try to 100% judge it off Real World Physics as not everything in any verse can be explained by irl science.

Anyways, let's discuss:

TL;DR:

• Moon is portrayed to have Earth like Gravity
  • Moon is portrayed to begin Breaking apart as it reaches Roche Limit
  • It's implied throughout the movie the moon wasn't going to fully break apart and was literally meant to collide with Earth.
Note 2: This is in no way meant to throw shade at kep, I just think a lot more has to be considered before simply tossing it out.

Wait, didn't they releaize they were in the moon after waking up from that genjutsu space in the portal? They walked out of it and saw the sun (which Shikamaru commented was artifical at that point), and the ocean, which Shikamaru also commented on how its warped.

But I can be wrong.

> It's implied the moon wasn't going to fully shatter.

It obviously would considering Toneri was going to crash it into the Earth, with such a crash easily exceeding the gravitational binding energy of the Moon itself. Other than that, there's no mention of the Moon's fate so I don't know where this "implication" comes from, at all.

> He's arguing The Moon is following what would happen to a Object like the moon, as it approached the Roche Limit of Naruto's Earth

Which it definitely is, as per the movie itself. An object that approaches the Roche limit continuously breaks apart, forming Saturn-like rings around the planet. Guess what happens in the movie.

> He's arguing that two equal masses will collide with each other

Way to strawman it. In order for the Narutoverse moon to have the same gravity as the Earth, it'd either need to be roughly the same size, or have its mass increased six times over. If the latter was the case, the Moon would have indeed crashed into the Earth. That doesn't mean it'd destroy it, but the surface would look more like a Venus-like volcanic hell than a watery, beautiful green world like it is.

> He's not taking into consideration that the moon is literally meant to collide with earth

This is irrelevant to the argument.

> Moon is portrayed to have Earth like Gravity

This is only slightly implied to be the case in the portions of the Moon's center that are affected by the Otsutsuki's sun like orb, and even then, that's still stretching it.

> It's implied throughout the movie the moon wasn't going to fully break apart nd was literally meant to collide with Earth.

The former is baseless, the latter is irrelevant to the argument itself.

I'm not the best at science and maths, I'm an English major, but wouldn't the fact that the moon is pulled by Earth's gravity blatantly show that the moon's gravity is less than the Earth's?

I thought the gravity was either chakra based or just standard fiction ignoring science considering that not only can normal people breathe on the surface of the moon it's extremely hollow as well.

@IMade

Yep. That's the argument I'm using.

Also, even if this argument were to somehow go through it'd require the Naruto Moon to be much more hollow than it's already accepted at, since the only place that could be argued to have similar gravity to the Earth would be the oceans and the village near the center. So we'd be back to square one.

I don't known the issue behind all this but, is the current problem that the KE of the moon moving would be 5-A but is not going to be accepted cuz the crash wouldn't have destroyed the Earth? Or am I mistaken?

Antoniofer said:
I don't known the issue behind all this but, is the current problem that the KE of the moon moving would be 5-A but is not going to be accepted cuz the crash wouldn't have destroyed the Earth? Or am I mistaken?
Essentially the two arguments are

The moon has the same surface gravity as the earth because the shinobi who went on the moon didn't realise they were on the moon, thus the characteristics of the moon may be the same as the earth.

Kep's argument is that the surface gravity isn't the same because we were shown a simulation of the earth and moon getting close enough for the earth to rip the Moon's surface off due to the increased gravitational effects at close range.

Wouldn't it make more sense also to assume that Hamura made the gravity of the moon similar to earth's gravity since none of them back then were really ninja

do we even need moon to have Earth Like Gravity for an upgrades

i mean naruto earth probably much bigger then normal earth which could make moon much bigger as well

so we need to get one of earth calc acceped 1st

I disagree with the Moon having the same gravity as Earth as well.

So we're going to label the moon being portrayed with comparable gravity to earth as the contradiction?

I just want to know because both the moon breaking apart and the comparable gravity are equally consistent. One has to be rejected.

Similar gravity does not mean similar mass, unless the moon has the same radius as the Earth.

The gravity of the moon could still be much weaker, and it could display all the affects Kep mentions while having a surface gravity comparable to Earth.

Acceleration of gravity is a function of both distance and mass, so you if you know two out of those three variables you can get the other.

If we use the equation "Mass=(Acceleration due to gravity*radius^2)/G" with acceleration due to gravity as 9.805 m/s^2 and radius as the radius of our moon then we'd get 4.43102895*10^23 kilograms for the moon's mass.

The Narutoverse Moon would need to be hollow as hell in order to have an average gravity of 9.8m/s, considering the gravity only extends to the portions of the Moon that are affected by the fake sun, which are all hollow.

Kepekley23 said:
The Narutoverse Moon would need to be hollow as hell in order to have an average gravity of 9.8m/s, considering the gravity only extends to the portions of the Moon that are affected by the fake sun, which are all hollow.
What do you mean? Hollowness doesn't increase acceleration by gravity, mass increases it, and distance decreases it.

Kepekley23 said:
This makes no sense. That's not how Gravity works...this implies the Naruto Moon has more Gravity than Earth, which I know you will disagree with.

Blahblah9755 said:
Similar gravity does not mean similar mass, unless the moon has the same radius as the Earth.

The gravity of the moon could still be much weaker, and it could display all the affects Kep mentions while having a surface gravity comparable to Earth.

Acceleration of gravity is a function of both distance and mass, so you if you know two out of those three variables you can get the other.

If we use the equation "Mass=(Acceleration due to gravity*radius^2)/G" with acceleration due to gravity as 9.805 m/s^2 and radius as the radius of our moon then we'd get 4.43102895*10^23 kilograms for the moon's mass.
I agree with this.

@Blahblah

The only portions of the Moon that could possibly have the same gravity as the Earth are the portions that are affected by the Otsutsukis's fake sun. As stated by the story itself, the Moon's surface has a weak gravity and the Otsutsukis had to manipulate a portion of its core to generate oceans and etc.

Said portions would need to extend to nearly the entirety of the Moon's core in order to affect the average gravity of it to such an extent.

Said portions are hollow.

It's a matter of putting three and three together. Instead of being, say, 15% hollow like we have it at, it'd be pretty dang hollow. At least two thirds or so.

Kepekley23 said:
@Blahblah

The only portions of the Moon that could possibly have the same gravity as the Earth are the portions that are affected by the Otsutsukis's fake sun. As stated by the story itself, the Moon's surface has a weak gravity and the Otsutsukis had to manipulate a portion of its core to generate oceans and etc.

Said portions would need to extend to nearly the entirety of the Moon's core in order to affect the average gravity of it to such an extent.

It's a matter of putting three and three together. Instead of being, say, 15% hollow like we have it at, it'd be pretty dang hollow. At least two thirds or so.
Which explains why toneri was able easily cut through it.

I see, in that case, it would just be that the distance from the center used in the equation I mentioned above would be however far the area that had Earth-like gravity was from the center, rather than the entire radius of the moon.

Kepekley23 said:
@Blahblah

@Bold1: I don't remember this being stated at all.

TheFinalOrder said:
Kepekley23 said:
@Blahblah

@Bold1: I don't remember this being stated at all.
me too cause i saw the whole movie

Back