• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology: Revising the Cosmology of All Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is there a plan for how we should start to apply this?

One way it could be handled is to make a page regarding Mythology, and explaining the general rules for how these kinds of feats should be handled. From there, CRT's can be made in reference to those rules to revise the more specific details of mythology pages.

It would be best to get Kepekley's opinion on how it should be handled, currently.

The Supporters of a Mythology should put what Mythology they support in the Supporters part of the Mythology Verse Page

How about we slow the heck down since Kep mentioned doing a really extensive blog for the majority of the popular ones?

Any discussion can be done after so we don't start having conflicting issues.

I'll highlight this thread once I'm done writing up my blog, since I believe we need more opinions.

I also don't believe it will be hard to practically apply this (aside from potential disagreements over interpretation, but I am hopeful that such a thing will be rare enough not to be a significant concern). Even the more obscure mythologies have plenty of explanations on their gods and cosmologies by learned scholars on the subject, and they're readily available online.

Just as an example.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Helios_(Myth)

• At least Star level (He was the personification of the sun)
Alright then. Here is the Sun's portrayal in the Illiad:

• "The sun was beginning to beat upon the fields, fresh risen into the celestial vault from the slow still currents of deep Oceanus, when the two armies met"
  • "Then ox-vision Hera sent the busy sun, loath though he was, into the waters of Oceanus; so he set, and the radiant Achaeans had rest from the tug and turmoil of war."
One and a half million kilometers wide star, apparently.

My next post is going to be once I finish my blog post/highlight this thread. This was just an example of the ridiculous extent of the twisting necessary in our the profiles in order to make them conform to modern cosmology.

Well, real life like came in the way for him.

@Kep & Ant

Sun Wukong and JttW Jade Emperor is ready.

Jade Emperor regular needs a few more abilities added to his page and then he'll be ready, as I said, he's not Taoist, he's actually Mythological in origin.

Okay. Do you have links that the other members here can take a look at?

So basically, downgrades due to the people that made them not knowing better? Some people have always known this since like 1000BC, just that they didn't have the equipment to get everyone to believe it.

Are you sure it can't just be adapted as in their minds they weren't even making anything up?

Uradelbauer said:
So basically, downgrades due to the people that made them not knowing better? Some people have always known this since like 1000BC, just that they didn't have the equipment to get everyone to believe it.
Are you sure it can't just be adapted as in their minds they weren't even making anything up?
By definition, mythology would center around the general beliefs of the people at the time. A few people having different views of the cosmology doesn't mean that the myths themselves would conform to their beliefs (no matter how justified they were). From their general perspective, the myths were the whole truth of how the world came to be and how it works. We can't just impose our knowledge on that to make it conform with our worldview.

This is my view at least, not to knowledgeable on mythology itself.

Uradelbauer said:
I agree with this.

Yes, people didn't know any better and blatantly wrote different cosmologies into their stories.

Discarding the whole intent of what was intended as common knowledge just because we know better and because some people, that weren't the majority, maybe did is dumb though. At that point you aren't even engaging the original myth, you are just using a modern standard of our universe and shifting it around to what those people believed, no matter how it may clash.

How is this better by any measure?

Yeah I see most of the Greeks being universal when the known universe wasn't even 3-B until just a hundred years ago, that's very recent. Our current 3-A/Low 2-C zeitgeist only came about when we were able to study the CMB with more sophisticated equipment.

I feel like maybe Wukong should have infinte speed straight out, considering he traversed a distance that encompasses a infinte sized structure.

PowerToScale said:
I feel like maybe Wukong should have infinte speed straight out, considering he traversed a distance that encompasses a infinte sized structure.
The reason why he also has a finite speed instead of just straight up Infintie is because in the Book, he always says he can jump "Thousands of miles in a single jump" rather than infinite, so while, yes, he does have an infinite speed feat, he also doesn't like to say he does.

Udlmaster said:
The reason why he also has a finite speed instead of just straight up Infintie is because in the Book, he always says he can jump "Thousands of miles in a single jump" rather than infinite, so while, yes, he does have an infinite speed feat, he also doesn't like to say he does.
I guess that makes sense then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back