• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Little Pony - Princess Celestia: Sun Moving Feat

Regarding Celestia's Sun Moving feat: despite being said otherwise, the sun MUST be much smaller and closer to the planet than our own (and magical in nature). Everytime she uses her magic, the sun in the sky moves instantly. Even if her magic can reach the sun right away, the light itself would still need time to reach their world. The light of our own needs over 8 minutes to reach ours, for example.

Or am I overlooking something?

You're attempting to apply real world logic to dispute a fictional horse moving a star.

This obviously isn't an indication that the sun is somehow tiny or extremely close, merely that Celestia's Magic has Stellar range and that MLP ignores the time it'd take for light to reach the planet for the sake of aesthetic.

Maverick Zero X said:
You're attempting to apply real world logic to dispute a fictional horse moving a star.
This obviously isn't an indication that the sun is somehow tiny or extremely close, merely that Celestia's Magic has Stellar range and that MLP ignores the time it'd take for light to reach the planet for the sake of aesthetic.
This entire wiki is all about fitcional characters anyways, so real world logic is a relative term in that regard anyway. What I tried to do is to analyse her feats, so one can compare her to other characters with similar powers.

So are you saying that the sun is legitimately less than a light second away from Equestria? That seems like a bit of a stretch.

GokuSparkle said:
So are you saying that the sun is legitimately less than a light second away from Equestria? That seems like a bit of a stretch.
Well, one light second are still 186.282 miles.

Equestria would be burning if it was that close. Also, it's significantly less than a light second, as it seems instantaneous, so it's probably more like 20 000 miles away or even less, if you applied real physics to it.

But, let's play Devil's Advocate here:

What if the sun WAS smaller? Small enough that it could warm Equestria at that range without incinerating it?

Well, what makes you think that? I'm pretty sure if it was about 10 000 miles away, and it was the same heat as normal, and was small enough to look like the real world sun, it'd incinerate Equestria. You could say it's also not as hot, but why would you rather make 2 baseless assumptions instead of just assuming the sun is normal, especially since it was confirmed?

GokuSparkle said:
Well, what makes you think that? I'm pretty sure if it was about 10 000 miles away, and it was the same heat as normal, and was small enough to look like the real world sun, it'd incinerate Equestria. You could say it's also not as hot, but why would you rather make 2 baseless assumptions instead of just assuming the sun is normal, especially since it was confirmed?
What if the sun is magical? That would solve a lot of questions. And it was never really confirmed that their sun is equal to our own, I mean it was just written in a blog by of ONE of the producers, and just on a whim if I had to guess. It was never supported by the other staff of the show or Hasbro.

GokuSparkle said:
What if it wasn't?
Than another example: moving the sun a few 1.000 miles in either direction wouldn't be something one could see from the planet. So in order to archive this with our sun, she's to move an object with a diameter of 865.000 miles and a weight of 2 × 10^27 tons over a distance of 93.000.000 miles (sun-earth) in at least reletivistics speeds. She's never shown that kind of power outside her sun feat, supporting my claim.

So? Outside of vague statements and scaling, DBS characters have never shown Universal+ feats, yet that's their ranking. Just because something seems out there for a certain character, doesn't mean it's not true.

GokuSparkle said:
So? Outside of vague statements and scaling, DBS characters have never shown Universal+ feats, yet that's their ranking. Just because something seems out there for a certain character, doesn't mean it's not true.
But they're able to hurt beings with that scaling, Beerus for example.

Definition Attack Potency: 'A character with a certain degree of attack potency does not necessarily need to cause destructive feats on that level, but can cause damage to characters that can withstand such forces.'

Goku has shown that he can in his fight against Beerus.

Other mlp characters have 4-C or higher for scaling to someone who uses their magical power to move the sun. It's just illogical to say the sun isn't the same as ours without actual proof in the show, especially when a writer has said it is the same as our own. Also, one question, do you think the Sun and the Moon are the same size in Equestria?

GokuSparkle said:
Other mlp characters have 4-C or higher for scaling to someone who uses their magical power to move the sun. It's just illogical to say the sun isn't the same as ours without actual proof in the show, especially when a writer has said it is the same as our own. Also, one question, do you think the Sun and the Moon are the same size in Equestria?
In one of the earlier comic issues, they used a magic rope to pull the moon closer to the planet, and then the Mane Six climbed all the way up. It looked roughly the size of our own at first, but if it were actually just as big, the gravity pull would cause havoc all across the world, tides and other stuff. That proves that their solar system and everything in it is magical in nature, since normal physics are completely overridden. Otherwise they would have suffocated or frozen to death in the higher atmosphere or space. Also one can't just climb up to space, since one needs to move at least 20 times the speed of sound to escape our planets pull for example.

That's also the reason I believe the sun is magical as well, but bigger as the moon.

Also the "official" answer to the question if the sun is as big as ours is "I believe the answer is yes". Not exactly professional, also that was the comment of ONE writer of the show, it was never confirmed by others, Hasbro or Mrs. Faust herself.

And there is actually no proof that the sun is as big as ours in the show either.

On a side note, the Tier level of MLP characters may be true for 'their ' universe (though I'm still unconfortable with how their powers were meassured), but outside they would be Tier 8-6 at best.

If you're still not convinced, let's just agree to disagree, ok? As long as there is no proof in the canon material (show, comics, books), I will hold on to the belief that the sun is smaller than ours.

The sun is definitely the same size as our sun. The creators did confirm so. There are also intelligent astronomers in the MLP Universe who know full well that stars are larger than planets.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
The sun is confirmed by WoG to be the same size as our own. And it requires manipulating the GBE in order to move it at great speeds. So it is a legit Tier 4 feat to move the sun telekinetically.
The "official" answer to the question if the sun is as big as ours is "I believe the answer is yes". Not exactly professional, also that was the comment of ONE writer of the show, it was never confirmed by others, Hasbro or Mrs. Faust herself.

As for the Tier level problem, please look under

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/U...ssuse_-_Tier_4_is_the_new_Tier_8#comm-3228146

Sturmwolf42 said:
In one of the earlier comic issues, they used a magic rope to pull the moon closer to the planet, and then the Mane Six climbed all the way up. It looked roughly the size of our own at first, but if it were actually just as big, the gravity pull would cause havoc all across the world, tides and other stuff. That proves that their solar system and everything in it is magical in nature, since normal physics are completely overridden. Otherwise they would have suffocated or frozen to death in the higher atmosphere or space. Also one can't just climb up to space, since one needs to move at least 20 times the speed of sound to escape our planets pull for example.
Comics are secondary canon at best.

Back