• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vin, the Lord Ruler and Sazed's speed tier bumped to FTL

This is my first major interaction with VS Battles. Among the Cosmere, I've only completely read Mistborn Era 1, Secret History not included. It is nice to meet you all.

This post concerns Vin, Sazed, and Rashek. I'm not referring to their speed as Metallic Arts users, far from it. I'm referring to when they access the power of Ruin and/or Preservation. Or in the Lord Ruler's case, a tiny piece of Preservation's power. I believe their speed in the "divine mode" keys should be upgraded to at least FTL. Unlike many other gods in fiction, we get a surprising amount of info about how fast they were warping Scadrial and processing information. Sazed just willed effects onto Scadrial and they happened instantly. The instant he Ascended, during "a moment of transcendence," his mind processed and understood all the memories stored in his copperminds. They stored memories of info inherited from every Keeper - including info on 562 religions, many biographies of leaders. culture, philosophy, and science. Yet, Sazed's expanded mind understood every last bit.

I'll be focusing on the Lord Ruler's speed when he was wielding a Sliver of Preservation. Going by what the story has said about him, his superiors should be massively faster.

The Hero of Ages consistently established that when the Lord Ruler was tapping into the Well of Ascension, he was tapping into a tiny piece of Preservation's power. Furthermore, he was just a packman using the Well with no experience/familiarity with divine power and burned through its reserves within a matter of minutes. However, within those minutes he moved Scadrial's position in space three times, created giant volcanoes that constantly spew ash, restructured human and plant biology on a global scale, and warped Scadrial in ways not listed in his article. TLR even processed the scientific knowledge required to perform his reality warping and perceived minutes of a mortal's timescale as a few hours.

We don't know the exact length of TLR's Ascension, but it was always said to be a few minutes or moments. There's no way it lasted longer than five minutes. We all know TLR moved Scadrial closer to the Sun. But it is often overlooked that he moved Scadrial three times - closer to the Sun, further from the Sun, then closer again where it stayed for 1000 years. This was confirmed in Chapter 76. And these aren't short distances either. TLR moved Scadrial so far that he shifted its orbit, creating new orbits that induced temperatures that would either burn down all life or freeze the entire planet. According to Brandon Sanderson, Scadrial is the Cosmere's Earth analogue, so its planetary data is the same as our world. The same distance from the Sun, same amount of land and water, same volume and mass, same natural science, etc... If we were to take Arcanum Unbounded's Scadrian system map at face value, TLR's final orbital shift placed it 0.5 AU - or 75 million kilometers - away from the Sun. Overall, it could be assumed that TLR's orbital shifts, and thus Scadrial's proximity from the Sun, are comparable to those of Venus/Mercury or Mars.

Let's say that TLR's first Ascension feat was moving Scadrial across a distance of 0.5 AU, within a very low lowball of five minutes of a mortal timescale. The calculated speed is 250,000,000 m/s, which is approaching the speed of light. Reduce the time to four minutes and this was done at 312,500,000 m/s, faster than light. Since his Ascension was short-lived, it's safe to say his orbital shifts were done in a minute or less. If he were moving planets 0.5 AU, his speed is greater than or equal to 1,250,000,000 m/s. This is approximately 4.17 times the speed of light. And this is when he's an "ignorant child" with the Well's power.

Mars is our system's coldest terrestrial planet and is 1.5 AU from the Sun and 225 million kilometers from Earth. Mercury is 0.4 AU away from the Sun and 77 million km from Earth. Venus is 0.7 AU away from the Sun and 106 million km from Earth. If TLR was moving Scadrial across these distances, he would multiple times faster than light. He thrice moved Scadrial and accomplished many other feats in only a few minutes, brief moment(s) etc...

Ascended Rashek doesn't compare to Preservation Vin, gets put into a body bag by the scholar who has the full power of both gods, and knew he couldn't defeat Ruin's mind (a fraction of Ruin's full power). Ruin's mind taught a fraction of Hemalurgy to Rashek during his brief Ascension. These people are FTL or FTL+, or higher.

And also, according to WoB Ascended Rashek beats end of MoL Rand Al Thor. I don't know what that implies since I haven't read Wheel of Time, but I thought I should bring it up.

Last edited:
After seeing the page for 1998 HIM, I think these characters’ attack potency should be bumped to a minimum of Small Star or Star level. Rashek thrice moved Scadrial millions of kilometers, along with a variety of other feats, in only a few minutes.

Another Shard, Autonomy, arranged a solar system so that a planet is tidally locked between two stars and located at a Lagrange point, kept in an unstable orbit and prevented from entering natural stable orbit, and the planet’s moon is in polar orbit. The stars were arranged into a binary system that consists of a white dwarf enveloped in a “particulate ring,” and a blue-white supergiant.

This puts Autonomy and other Shards in the Solar System level tier, or higher. Ascended Rashek was consistently stated to be weaker than Shards, even in weakened conditions like Ruin without his “body,” so maybe Large Planet - Small Star level for him?

Last edited:
You need calculation blogs that have been accepted by our calc group members before you change any statistics for our character pages.

No. You need to post calculations for these feats in a blog post in our wiki, and then ask for help in our official calculation evaluation requests thread.

Can you link here to your wiki blog post please?

I have replied to a massive lot of blog posts recently.

Thank you. I posted an instruction message there.

Back