• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

They could if they think it’ll let them win. They aren’t playing fair.

Speed isn’t equal. But the monsters don’t know about the portals, and are all inside the base during the strike, which they don’t know is coming.
Ah so just drop a Shigaraki on top the base and since all the monsters are in there then decay GG will just spread through the entire thing.
I like to think the top tiers would rip MHA apart (given that one of them is High 6-A or 5-C? Can’t remember)

For the record, Shigaraki is explicitly stated to be capable of moving faster than the speed of sound. It's just common sense that any degree of reaction time that he'd have would be far more impressive than even 1/1000th of a second.
Wait there’s an actual statement for this?

8% Izuku cannot use Blackwhip in combat.

10 to 15% Izuku during the beginning of the Endeavor Agency arc couldn't use Blackwhip in any useful way until later on. 8% Izuku takes place before he even interned at Endeavor's Agency, the key represents Joint Training Arc/Heroes Rising. He doesn't even try and use Blackwhip because this is what he can do without going berserk.

This is what happens if 8% Izuku tries to use Blackwhip. The anime is making it dramatic, but Izuku stated it only last for a second.

This needs to be mentioned on the weakness section in his Pre-Final Act profile. Joint Training Arc/Heroes Rising Izuku never had any control of Blackwhip.

Last edited:
Doesn't this basically confirm that Izuku needs OFA to use black whip or any other quirk?
OFA is all of the quirks. If you mean “he needs the power amp/Full Cowl part of OFA to be active in order to use the other quirks,” then you’re separating the powers too much. They are all OFA, not side effects of it. So there’s no reason he can’t use the other quirks without Full Cowl active.

OFA is all of the quirks. If you mean “he needs the power amp/Full Cowl part of OFA to be active in order to use the other quirks,” then you’re separating the powers too much. They are all OFA, not side effects of it. So there’s no reason he can’t use the other quirks without Full Cowl active.
Even in a casual setting Izuku activates Full Cowl when using Blackwhip. Look at him showing Blackwhip to Endeavor in the link above.

Izuku has no reason to activate Full Cowl here if he doesn't need OFA to use it. This also happens when he shows it to Mount Lady during the interview stuff, he activates Full Cowl when using Blackwhip. While it isn't confirmed that he needs to use OFA in order to summon Blackwhip, I head canon that he does need to activate it and Full Cowl is basically natural to him.

Even in a casual setting Izuku activates Full Cowl when using Blackwhip. Look at him showing Blackwhip to Endeavor in the link above.

Izuku has no reason to activate Full Cowl here if he doesn't need OFA to use it. This also happens when he shows it to Mount Lady during the interview stuff, he activates Full Cowl when using Blackwhip. While it isn't confirmed that he needs to use OFA in order to summon Blackwhip, I head canon that he does need to activate it and Full Cowl is basically natural to him.
The Mount Lady part is likely because he has zero control over it other than a small strand at that point, so it’s a safety measure to make sure he’s strong enough so it doesn’t go out of control. He refers to it as the power that waits for him down the line, so at that point, he definitely fears that using Blackwhip without full cowl would be too much for him.

Also, Full Cowl makes his Blackwhip stronger, since he can lift more, so there’s really no reason not to always use it with Full Cowl, especially when it takes 0 effort or energy to keep Full Cowl up.

I mainly say he should be able to use the other quirks without Full Cowl since Danger Sense doesn’t need it to tell him the civilians hate him. So if Danger Sense is always active apart from Full Cowl, even though it can be turned on and off, why can’t the others?

Times when Deku uses other quirks without Full Cowl active

1. The chapter with the civillians going berserk at him at UA. Chapter 323.

2. Danger Sense also activates when he is speaking to All Might and doesn't have Full Cowl active in Chapter 308.

3. Looking back at Chapter 293, after Deku's froppy style Black Whips is burned by Dabi he has Full Cowl active but when Machia is about to break free, Deku does not have Full Cowl on yet Danger Sense activates.

4. In Chapter 309 when he holds the umbrella for the giant Fox lady, he uses Float for an entire sequence, holds a conversation while floating, and leaves while floating while Full Cowl is NOT activated. There is no lightning the entire sequence. But when he arrived and blocked the water jet, he has full Cowl active so he clearly turned it off yet could still use float.

It’d be a bit weird if Banjo without OFA had a better blackwhip than Deku who has a stronger OFA until Deku bumps up to 20% to 30% or so. Doesn’t seem right.

Wasn’t Deku just keeping blackwhip small because blackwhip itself is dangerous, and he’s new to it so he can’t control it? I’m not sure why Deku just getting more power and making blackwhip even stronger and stronger would help in controlling it.

Blackwhip got bigger because he got it under control.

There are many examples of Full Cowl not being visible, despite it being on. So yeah I don't really buy any of that, just inconsistent art. I don't even believe that "electricity" is even real, since there are many instants of people being confused if Izuku was using OFA despite him glowing like a lightbulb. Just a visual effect.

Hey since I was the one to bring it up, just stop trying.

Also I never said he needed Full Cowl, I said he needs to activate OFA in some way. That includes just having a little energy in his fingers or something. This is my head canon, I admitted that earlier. Best not to waste your time because I'll never buy what you're selling. And it'd be pointless to continue.

You posted your arguments so the "conversation" is over.

There are many examples of Full Cowl not being visible, despite it being on. So yeah I don't really buy any of that, just inconsistent art. I don't even believe that "electricity" is even real, since there are many instants of people being confused if Izuku was using OFA despite him glowing like a lightbulb. Just a visual effect.

Also I never said he needed Full Cowl, I said he needs to activate OFA in some way. That includes just having a little energy in his fingers or something. This is my head canon, I admitted that earlier. Best not to waste your time because I'll never buy what you're selling. And it'd be pointless to continue.

Surprisingly, there aren't considering how differently Full Cowl in the manga is from the anime. In the manga we always know when Full Cowl or OFA is being used because even when Hori doesn't draw a lot of lightning, he ALWAYS draws OFA with the skin discoloration where Deku's skin has patches and is literally different colors.

This is one place, I can say I have never noticed an inconsistency in the manga. Even when the lightning is not drawn like when Deku isn't really doing anything, you should at least be able to see the skin discoloration.

We can't always be throwing away facts to fit headcanon.

What examples? Manga only examples, please.

Deku has literally shown using the vestige quirks multiple times without OFA’s power stocker being active. Sure, it’s your headcanon, but your headcanon is simply untrue.

On Deku’s profile: Hypersonic+ reactions and combat speed (Could keep up with Dynamight. Launched a Blackwhip tendril in his base state that split Shoto and Dabi before they could even react).

The Shoto and Dabi bit should be removed because it makes zero sense and isn’t a feat, considering “they didn’t react” because they weren’t even looking at Deku and didn’t even know he was there. They thought he was unconscious.

Unless we get another reveal about his abilities, Dabi pretty much survived years past the time of his medically predicted death of pure hatred alone.

I went over the scene and never saw Denki raising his hand BEFORE the lightning strike.

I did see Denki’s hand kind of slide across the screen WHILE the lightning was striking, but it’s already hit the ground for several seconds by that point.

When did he raise his hand before it?

I’m pretty sure Denki isn’t even in the scene until the lightning has already hit the ground. So calc is relying on something which may not actually exist and is headcanon.

Kaminari like to draw in electric energy by raising his hand up. The calc is assuming Denki lifted his hand when the bolt started falling down. Though I don't see why he couldn't have raised it when they all noticed Nine gathering the clouds above him. Like their was a clear moment before he call the lightning for Kaminari to raise his hand.

Note: He may not have to do that pose, but he always does it for whatever reason. When we seen him in the crater he is making the same pose with his hand up.

Yes. So the calc is invalid.

It relies on assumed information not actually shown, AND Kaminari had several seconds to react to the storm, a super obviously telegraphed attack. Even Bakugo and Deku paused and looked up at it.

Denki is never seen until the bolt has already hit the ground.

Hypersonic reactions and combat speed (Can keep up with Shinso. Captured Tsuburaba with her tongue before he could react”

”captured Tsuburana with her tongue before he could react“ is a bit shaky, because he had jumped into the air and was looking downwards at Beast and Denki. He wasn’t paying attention to Tsuyu, who attacked when he was not looking in her direction. All we see is the aftermath of him lookin at her tongue after he’s been caught. Nothing implies her tongue was FTE to him.

There seems to be a pattern here, a few “… before they could react” on feats where they didn’t react because they weren’t even watching.

Someone here wanted to upgrade Tsuyu to High 8-C+ so we could take advantage of that to fix any problems with her profile.

Back