• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

There have been tons of little moments though? Christmas? Training? Culture Festival?

They literally give moments where they and Deku interact in this very chapter.
Not with all of his classmate though, And even then in culture festival The focus of that arc is more about Eri rather than developing Deku relationship with all his classmates even though it’s the perfect chance to do it

Who do you guys think Deku will fight as the last final battle of the series, Shigiraki or AFO? Like which one would you prefer to be the final battle, or second final.

Not with all of his classmate though, And even then in culture festival The focus of that arc is more about Eri rather than developing Deku relationship with all his classmates even though it’s the perfect chance to do it
You can only say that for so few of them though? Lets take a look at the most irrelevant members: Koda, Sato, Hagakure. These are the only three in the entire class I would consider not having developed a true relationship with Deku, though he and Sato seem close due to making candied apples for Eri.

Who in the class besides those three have not been developed? Ojiro he established as someone who he respected in the sports festival, though I agree he hasn't much time with him since then. Tokoyami has plenty of set up and character on his own, and he and Midoriya clearly have a bond from the small interactions they have. Momo is in the same boat as Tokoyami, and but is clearly more focused towards her own confidence and ability than Deku's involvement in her life. Shoji I guess would be the only other one, but his respect for him, as he himself said, was set in stone back during the forest camp.

So at best, there are 4-5 class mates that he hasn't interacted with much or have any reason to be specially attached to on screen.

Now compare that, to his constant friendship moments and interactions with Kaminari and Mineta. Or how much he respects Mina and appreciates her for the dance lessons. Or Jiro, who had a whole arc. Or Tsuyu who has been with him nearly as long as Ochako and Iida. Or Aoyama who wormed his way into Deku's friend group and has shown how much his confidence has increased his own power and will. Or Kirishima who bro's out with Deku at any chance he gets, garnering enough trust from Deku sheerly through his connection with Bakugo as well. Or Sero who has had probably some of the most interactions with Deku out of the supports from the class. Bakugo and Shoto need no say.

So Deku has had very strong developments with at least 13 members of the 20 in class 1a, with maybe 2 of the 7 also having strong basis to really care for him, and only 3 being truly irrelevant to him.

How is that not attempts at developing a relationship?

Who do you guys think Deku will fight as the last final battle of the series, Shigiraki or AFO? Like which one would you prefer to be the final battle, or second final.
Shigaraki as the final battle, a fight in the vestige world with AFO and Shigaraki and all the OFA vestiges, then a bare hand brawl with Shigaraki to finish it off, Naruto vs Sasuke style.

You can only say that for so few of them though? Lets take a look at the most irrelevant members: Koda, Sato, Hagakure. These are the only three in the entire class I would consider not having developed a true relationship with Deku, though he and Sato seem close due to making candied apples for Eri.

Who in the class besides those three have not been developed? Ojiro he established as someone who he respected in the sports festival, though I agree he hasn't much time with him since then. Tokoyami has plenty of set up and character on his own, and he and Midoriya clearly have a bond from the small interactions they have. Momo is in the same boat as Tokoyami, and but is clearly more focused towards her own confidence and ability than Deku's involvement in her life. Shoji I guess would be the only other one, but his respect for him, as he himself said, was set in stone back during the forest camp.

So at best, there are 4-5 class mates that he hasn't interacted with much or have any reason to be specially attached to on screen.

Now compare that, to his constant friendship moments and interactions with Kaminari and Mineta. Or how much he respects Mina and appreciates her for the dance lessons. Or Jiro, who had a whole arc. Or Tsuyu who has been with him nearly as long as Ochako and Iida. Or Aoyama who wormed his way into Deku's friend group and has shown how much his confidence has increased his own power and will. Or Kirishima who bro's out with Deku at any chance he gets, garnering enough trust from Deku sheerly through his connection with Bakugo as well. Or Sero who has had probably some of the most interactions with Deku out of the supports from the class. Bakugo and Shoto need no say.

So Deku has had very strong developments with at least 13 members of the 20 in class 1a, with maybe 2 of the 7 also having strong basis to really care for him, and only 3 being truly irrelevant to him.

How is that not attempts at developing a relationship?
The only classmates that i consider are Deku friend’s beside the obvious Shoto, Tsuyu, Ochacko, and Iida are Aoyama, Kirishima, Mina, and probably Mineta and Tokoyami. Other than that it’s just like normal interaction rather than feels like bonding with friends type of moment to me

Last edited:
The only classmates that i consider are Deku friend beside the obvious Shoto, Tsuyu, Ochacko, and Iida is Aoyama, Kirishima, Mina, and probably Mineta Ad Tokoyami. Other than that it’s just like normal interaction to me rather than feels bonding with friends to me
I'd definitely add Sero, Kaminari and Jiro to that list at the least. Sero has a ton of interactions with Deku and treats him like a little brother almost. Kaminari is always around Deku acting dumb but friendly. What he helped Jiro with has stuck with her and is the literal foundation for her will to be a hero.

Other than that he's always just been hyper-defensive for the class, even back during the sports festival for Ojiro. So even if there hasn't been some earthshattering revelation for some of the class that Deku helped them through, his presence as a friend who cares about them is enough for me to believe that, over a year, they would follow him no matter what.

Especially when factoring in his ridiculous charisma when it comes to being a hero. Like Aizawa said, he draws people to him, forces them to see him, then they follow and trust him. It's an effect of being near "Izuku Midoriya" that you will come to like him and what he stands for.

I'd definitely add Sero, Kaminari and Jiro to that list at the least. Sero has a ton of interactions with Deku and treats him like a little brother almost. Kaminari is always around Deku acting dumb but friendly. What he helped Jiro with has stuck with her and is the literal foundation for her will to be a hero.

Other than that he's always just been hyper-defensive for the class, even back during the sports festival for Ojiro. So even if there hasn't been some earthshattering revelation for some of the class that Deku helped them through, his presence as a friend who cares about them is enough for me to believe that, over a year, they would follow him no matter what.

Especially when factoring in his ridiculous charisma when it comes to being a hero. Like Aizawa said, he draws people to him, forces them to see him, then they follow and trust him. It's an effect of being near "Izuku Midoriya" that you will come to like him and what he stands for.
I guess i can add Sero and Kaminari to the list even though I don’t remember anything that they did together stuck to me but with Jiro is not how you interact with friend rather than it’s just Deku being Deku

There's something about All for One's plan that's been confusing me a little.

His ultimate goal is to take OFA and then proceed to rule the world with no one able to stop him, correct? But due to the way OFA stockpiles, he doesn't have the sheer willpower required to snatch it up. So instead of attempting to take it directly himself, he raised and built up Shigaraki with so much hatred and gave him AFO so he could overpower OFA's defenses and finally steal it.

Makes sense right?

But part of AFO's plan was to then possess Shigaraki after he had gotten AFO so he could control Shigaraki's body himself. But if he's possessing Shiggy, wouldn't all that hatred go away because its not Shigaraki's hateful consciousness in control? Like if AFO is merely possessing Shigaraki, he's not carrying Shigaraki's hatred so he wouldn't have the willpower required. So how does that work?

I think it's been made a point that while Deku considers his classmates as friends, he's not really close to all of them. They all have their own circles that have some overlaps.
The weird friendship arc with Aoyama has this as the entire focus. He and Deku were "friends" in that they were amicable and in the same class, but they never talk to each other as much so they weren't really close.

I think it's been made a point that while Deku considers his classmates as friends, he's not really close to all of them. They all have their own circles that have some overlaps.
The weird friendship arc with Aoyama has this as the entire focus. He and Deku were "friends" in that they were amicable and in the same class, but they never talk to each other as much so they weren't really close.
Yeah, that is how I feel too. I relate to that in some way since I have a somewhat similar experience IRL. Will not go into much detail about it though.

That's just how people work.

Deku has bonded with most, if not all of his class through several activities like the School Festival but he still has a handful of the friends who are closer and know him more deeply and personally (Shoto, Tenya, Ochako, and Tsuyu. With Bakugo being in some kind of limbo, since they're still in a "recovery phase" of their relationship).

Even then, not all of these 5 people are close either.
Bakugo's inner circle is comprised with people like Kirishima, Denki, Sero, and Mina. Though he has a degree of closeness with Shoto, in a weird Bakugo way.
Shoto is close with Iida and Izuku, and a weird association with Bakugo, but not really close with Ochako and Tsuyu, rather he has moments with Momo.
It's Ochako, Tsuyu, and Iida who are actually close with each other and Deku. But even then, those three have close friends that are not close friends with the other.

There's something about All for One's plan that's been confusing me a little.

His ultimate goal is to take OFA and then proceed to rule the world with no one able to stop him, correct? But due to the way OFA stockpiles, he doesn't have the sheer willpower required to snatch it up. So instead of attempting to take it directly himself, he raised and built up Shigaraki with so much hatred and gave him AFO so he could overpower OFA's defenses and finally steal it.

Makes sense right?

But part of AFO's plan was to then possess Shigaraki after he had gotten AFO so he could control Shigaraki's body himself. But if he's possessing Shiggy, wouldn't all that hatred go away because its not Shigaraki's hateful consciousness in control? Like if AFO is merely possessing Shigaraki, he's not carrying Shigaraki's hatred so he wouldn't have the willpower required. So how does that work?
Shigaraki is still inside, like a Vestige tho. The Vestiges protected Deku, so vice verse, Vestige Shigaraki can still help take it.

The “bullet dodge” calc still seems to rely on a massive assumption that Deku is “moving at the same time as the man fired the gun”, which is basically impossible to tell given the frame rate we view the scene at. Not to mention the barrel of the man’s gun is having somewhat trouble keeping up with Deku. So either the man is missing or Deku is keeping ahead of the firing line. The bullets travel FAAAAR more distance FAAAAR faster than Deku does when you actually just watch the scene instead of going frame by frame, like when he goes up the stairs for example. If he was as fast as the bullets he would have passed the bullets that left the barrels at the same time he began jumping around at the halfway point up the stairs. But that’s not what happened. Before he reached halfway MANY, MANY gunshots were heard and MANY bullets flew past him. Too bad we can’t even see the actual bullets, we just see little orange pinpricks that COULD represent the bullets, or COULD represent the trail of the bullets. Who knows.

Anyways it’s kind of an outlier and only exists in this one scene which is… shaky at best.
Man just view the feat frame by frame lol. You can see the distance Deku moved and the bullet. Take those two distances and just do the equation needed to find deku’s speed. Not hard if you doubt it that much.

Viewing the scene frame by frame is exactly the problem, we are perceiving at a limited frame rate, so we aren’t getting accurate information on where the bullets are at any given time. The orange little laser lights aren’t the bullets in my eyes, they are indicators to show where the bullets have been, and the general firing line of the bullets.

If Deku was as fast as the bullets, then how come he didn’t travel up the staircase in a literal instant, and how so many bullets flew past him as he did so?

The helicopter scene is a bit weird because David pushes Wolfram and causes him to miss. But it hits Deku anyway.

Either way these are movie feats only so, they are shaky at best, especially since the manga does not support these feats with anything close. Hell, 8% Deku was blitzed and one punched by Mirio, who couldn’t swat a single bullet out of the air from a far longer distance than what Deku was up against… from a normal, basic revolver.

Viewing the scene frame by frame is exactly the problem, we are perceiving at a limited frame rate, so we aren’t getting accurate information on where the bullets are at any given time. The orange little laser lights aren’t the bullets in my eyes, they are indicators to show where the bullets have been, and the general firing line of the bullets.
But the feat in question can be clearly depicted when viewing frame by frame. We can see how far the bullet has moved as the instant it hits the ground, rocks shoots up into the air. This is literally done the next frame. Not only that but Deku has also moved x distance. These variables can be found and were found. I dont see the problem.
You also say that the orange lines arent the bullets traveling “in” your eyes. But that’s simply your opinion. We can clearly see these orange lasers traveling out and the moment they reach their destination they knock materials out of the walls.
Deku didnt instantly gey up the stairs as hes jumping from wall to wall, and since when has “x character not doing x instantly” ever been an argument against their speed? Using this argument even Top Tiers like all might wouldnt be subsonic speed because “he doesnt travel instantly!”.
If Deku was as fast as the bullets, then how come he didn’t travel up the staircase in a literal instant, and how so many bullets flew past him as he did so?
Deku was moving side to side (wall jumping) while the bullets were being shot straight forward. I dont see your point here.
The helicopter scene is a bit weird because David pushes Wolfram and causes him to miss. But it hits Deku anyway.
Not sure if we watched the same scene but Dave didnt even move from his spot and Deku did indeed block the bulley from poiny blank range. This is a supporting feat.
Either way these are movie feats only so, they are shaky at best, especially since the manga does not support these feats with anything close. Hell, 8% Deku was blitzed and one punched by Mirio, who couldn’t swat a single bullet out of the air from a far longer distance than what Deku was up against… from a normal, basic revolver.
But these movies are created/supervised by the author and he has confirmed they follow his story. Calling them shaky because they are movies isnt good reasoning at all.
Deku didnt get blitz by mirio, he literally predicted where he would pop out at and attack during that same time frame. Mirio has been shown fast enough to turn intangible faster than bullets, and pop out the ground faster than bullets. Deku reacting and attacking in that time frame is just supporting evidence towards deku if anything.
We have various other feats such as Deku reacting to Todorokis ice which iirc has been calc at subsonic speeds and we have mineta. MINETA moving mach .9. The manga is consistent with those feats so I fail to see the problem.

Again, going frame by frame does not work, because we are not seeing the actions between these frames. The FPS of the animation itself does not allow it. It doesn’t work. We don’t even see the bullets themselves, we see orange lights that COULD be a bullet, but these literally appear and disappear between frames far faster than Deku moves, and we never see one actually leave the barrel.

Mirio never turns intangible after a bullet is fired and never moves in speed comparable to a bullet. His entire thing is PREDICTION. Don’t ignore his greatest trait for wonky fan calcs. He’s still “at least” comparable to Deku who’s “at least” as fast, if not faster than bullets, yet he couldn’t catch, outspeed nor react to a bullet that was shot from a much further distance, despite being literally on Eri before it’s fired. He couldn’t grab Eri and outspeed the bullet? And don’t say “that would hurt Eri so he didn’t”, Eri was literally on Deku when he was moving around at 100%, the series doesn’t care about that stuff, it’s not The Boys.

The Todoroki’s ice thing is a little weird, but the calc is based off Momo’s words. We know Aizawa still has to re-activate his quirk after he blinks. Who’s to say he instantly tried to re-use it when he blinked in that scene? He WAS going easy on them and even makes several mistakes which he brushes off as actual flaws he made when they were purposeful, to allow Momo to feel better, like when he jumped backwards after she missed activating the catapault. Either way this feat wouldn’t scale for ALL of Todoroki’s ice attacks.

As for the Wolfram thing, THIS is why I don’t like to use super hard to see things you need to go frame by frame for and then make assumptions about in these movies:

Wolfram aims, Dave pushes him, the gun is pointed COMPLETELY AWAY from Deku, Deku raises his arm as Wolfram aims at him again, then Deku is flung out of the helicopter. But we never see or hear a second gunshot. So either we just don’t see and hear it, or Wolfram’s first shot somehow bounced off the side of the helicopter and hit Deku with the same force as it would if he hadn’t missed. I guess they’re “future guns” tho so it makes sense.

The Todoroki’s ice thing is a little weird, but the calc is based off Momo’s words. We know Aizawa still has to re-activate his quirk after he blinks. Who’s to say he instantly tried to re-use it when he blinked in that scene? He WAS going easy on them and even makes several mistakes which he brushes off as actual flaws he made when they were purposeful, to allow Momo to feel better, like when he jumped backwards after she missed activating the catapault. Either way this feat wouldn’t scale for ALL of Todoroki’s ice attacks
I mean Shoto’s ice wall in the sports festival was calculated at Mach 1.7 as well
And Based on number 6 having a MHS Calc now and his normal speeds being scaled to Supersonic+ - Hypersonic
Iida’s Recipro burst blitzing stain (Which was Mach 8) probably isn’t an outlier anymore either

When one says “of course this feat you can only really percieve if you go frame by frame is canon, Horikoshi wrote the movie!” all I can think of is Horikoshi sitting in a room with all the animators, going over every frame animation cell one by one, and being like:

”Huh, this is good.”
”Oh, this is bad. Deku isn’t exactly Mach 2.3 in this little scene here. Redo this scene.”
”B-but sir! We‘re over budget and out of time already!!”
”Excuse ME, do you know who I am? This movie has to be EXACTLY as my calcs say or I won’t greenlight it! Redo the scene!!”

Again, going frame by frame does not work, because we are not seeing the actions between these frames. The FPS of the animation itself does not allow it. It doesn’t work. We don’t even see the bullets themselves, we see orange lights that COULD be a bullet, but these literally appear and disappear between frames far faster than Deku moves, and we never see one actually leave the barrel.
Did anyone calc Bakugo dodging the soda man’s attack in the manga? Liquid jets that can cut metal travel at Mach 2.2
I dont recall it. Also i don’t remember this feat send the chapter u got u

When one says “of course this feat you can only really percieve if you go frame by frame is canon, Horikoshi wrote the movie!” all I can think of is Horikoshi sitting in a room with all the animators, going over every frame animation cell one by one, and being like:

”Huh, this is good.”
”Oh, this is bad. Deku isn’t exactly Mach 2.3 in this little scene here. Redo this scene.”
”B-but sir! We‘re over budget and out of time already!!”
”Excuse ME, do you know who I am? This movie has to be EXACTLY as my calcs say or I won’t greenlight it! Redo the scene!!”
This same logic can be applied to tons of calcs man. I could say: I highly doubt Horikoshi intended for Deku and AM to be city level for punching a big cube or I highly doubt Horikoshi intended for someone to measure how much distance Deku traveled relative to Nagant’s super fast bullets to say he’s MHS.

As for the Wolfram thing, THIS is why I don’t like to use super hard to see things you need to go frame by frame for and then make assumptions about in these movies:

Wolfram aims, Dave pushes him, the gun is pointed COMPLETELY AWAY from Deku, Deku raises his arm as Wolfram aims at him again, then Deku is flung out of the helicopter. But we never see or hear a second gunshot. So either we just don’t see and hear it, or Wolfram’s first shot somehow bounced off the side of the helicopter and hit Deku with the same force as it would if he hadn’t missed. I guess they’re “future guns” tho so it makes sense.

That's because we see Wolfram aim the gun, and then the gunshot was portrayed with the next frame already hitting the Full Gauntlet. He likely just fired another one as the first one missed.

“No way they intended for Deku to be supersonic”

“Base Deku in Joint Training is supersonic among myriad supersonic+ feats with 20% being above hypersonic characters”

Am I misunderstanding something

The anime gave Ryukyu wind manipulation in the filler episode. By flapping her wings, she can create wind tornadoes.

I guess Ochako's limit in the anime is a cargo plane + the cargo. I'm sure that can be calced off the plane model or something.

The anime gave Ryukyu wind manipulation in the filler episode. By flapping her wings, she can create wind tornadoes.

I guess Ochako's limit in the anime is a cargo plane + the cargo. I'm sure that can be calced off the plane model or something.
Send scans

Back