• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Bakugo is angry and worried and doesn't know how to talk to Deku because of the (Insert entire life span of acting a certain way towards him).

He's acting in character, that scene in the war wasn't going to make him a nice person to Deku all of a sudden. He keeps his positive feelings about Deku hidden behind taunts. If he wants to say anything with lasting effect, he needs to drop that pride in the same way Deku needs to accept his own self worth.

Bakugo has developed quite splendidly, but he doesn't ever show that to Deku. That is the issue with him. It's not an author flaw or anything, it's intentional. He changes around literally everyone but the person he should be apologizing the most to, and that is going to lead to him failing until he does that.

I don't think he should've asked nicely, but taunting Deku by calling him a fake All Might, saying "he knows him best," and claiming that All Might being near him is the issue, when AM himself is constantly trying to get Deku to slow down at this point because he knows what he fostered inside Deku, is a limited scope of perspective. He might not be wrong with a lot of what he's saying, but coming at Deku like that was asking for a fight in his current state.

This conflict is not going to go well for anyone. If Bakugo pushes too hard, Deku isn't going to pull a punch, and someone is gonna get hurt.

There being 3 color pages back to back is worrying me now.

To be real, not a lot of people were expecting Katsuki to not act jerkishly to the person he has hurt the most in his whole life. Most people have expected him to act cruelly one way or another, but at the end of the day it does not change the fact that he has committed a giant blunder even for someone like him. He has pretty much put his own classmates in the line of fire from Deku who he has provoked into having a fight with them. Believed he knows Izuku inside out despite being at least 70% wrong about how Midoriya is feeling.

Like, as I am going to reiterate, I did not expect Bakugo to have known that All Might wanted to put a stop to Deku's recklessness, to have known his fight with Lady Nagant which initiated the situation, to understand how Deku feels about Shigaraki, etcetera etcetera. But that doesn't change the fact that he ****** up and just might reap the consequences.

He is on his way into putting Izuku on an even greater state of shame than before and push him on edge while endangering his own friends due to his nonsense. To Deku, he would not prove himself to be someone to rely on, but actually push him into believing his friends would just cause problems and get in the way.

Jus read this entire thread and whew.
Deku and Bakugou being 6-B is a sight for sore eyes, if the calcs are concrete then I’ll be saying their island - country tier for now on regardless of what the page says but other than that good stuff EarthyBoy you put on for MHA. Also question about nine, nine was only able to complete the storm calc in the first place because AFO granted him the power to do so? Without that pink liquid he’d never perform the feat correct? Does that mean if push came to shove they’d still be able to beat nine making them > Nine even if he got the cell regen? Because I remember garaki saying he was a test subject for afo hence why he could only grab 9 quirks meanwhile the true quirk could grab a endless amount. He was merely training ground for the afo quirk transfer process, Shigaraki was always going to be the main antagonist and true heir to all of AFOs assets
The liquid is just to halt his cell deterioration. Nine genuinely has one of the strongest quirks in MHA, right up there with OFA and Awakened Decay. It's probably why his body is so affected cause of all that power.

The only one who needs to be put in his place is Bakugo, he didn't only treated Deku bad he also treated everyone else as secondaries, and he is just acting cocky for no reason whatsoever.

And your logic sounds ridiculous if we think about it, Deku needs to be put in his place simply because he was saving people at all costs by discarding his own well-being...? I guess those Doctors who collapsed from over exhaustion trying to save as many people as they could from Covid should also be put in their places shouldn't they? Because that's just how your logic works.
Yeah, people's logic in this is ridiculous. This is the main reason I want Deku to whoop their ass despite how tired he is. At this point most of 1A are of NO help to Deku in the fight against Shigaraki or AFO. They can only take on side villains but as seen in the war even Bakugo was severely outmatched by quirkless Shigaraki.

And while he and Iida survived against High-ends, they couldn't actually defeat them. That's where I put the strongest students in 1A, they can survive a fight against High-ends (Bakugo, Iida, probably Tokoyami & Kirishima) but it doesn't seem as if they can win.

Top 10 heroes like Endeavor, Mirko, Best Jeanist, possibly Edgeshot for beating Re-destro, possibly Mt Lady & even Nejire can restrain or defeat High-ends. 1A students need to be at least on this level before they can even fantasize about "helping Deku".

If Class 1-A helped Deku against Lady Nagant, more than half of them would've been dead in the first minute lol
Only way they stand a chance is hiding good af and distracting with team work, and even then there are going to be casualties because they're a kilometer away from her. Iida would have to hard carry since he's the only one even remotely near her in speed.

If Class 1-A helped Deku against Lady Nagant, more than half of them would've been dead in the first minute lol
Yeah, Class 1-A is almost completely useless. The only people that can possibly help Deku in any meaningful way can be counted in only one finger (or two if you count Ochako when you look at it another way). Everyone else should just be with their parents xddddddd.

I guess they could offer Izuku some emotional support, something he is starved of, and assurance that they'd make it out okay. But that would be it.

Every hero needs to hit the gym more tbh. Endeavor is out here taking hits from Shigaraki and High Ends while Ryukyu gets KO'd and loses her arms while no one is even paying attention to her. These people gotta step it up.

Even Bakugo would have a hard time maneuvering against Nagant, IMO. His movement speed is heavily reliant on his explosions, other than that he's sitting duck.
As far as we know, neither Kirishima nor Tokoyami has strengthened their quirks enough to block her bullets effectively either.
Ironically, the only ones who could probably get close to Nagant are Tsuyu and Toru, assuming they honed their stealth enough while the other students distract Nagant.

League of Villains do be getting stronger exponentially while the Heroes have lost their Heroes and are so desperate they are calling literal nobodies from other countries. These people gotta get their shit together and actually be a formidable force again.

Even Bakugo would have a hard time maneuvering against Nagant, IMO. His movement speed is heavily reliant on his explosions, other than that he's sitting duck.
As far as we know, neither Kirishima nor Tokoyami has strengthened their quirks enough to block her bullets effectively either.
Ironically, the only ones who could probably get close to Nagant are Tsuyu and Toru, assuming they honed their stealth enough while the other students distract Nagant.
Sounds like everyone would be miserable. Just leave it to Deku, Iida and Tsuyu, everyone else gotta leave.

From Bakugo’s perspective, Deku is trying to do what All Might did in his prime. Go out alone and win, as if no other hero could help him and that he relies on being unbeatable. But Deku isn’t at All Might’s level. In Bakugo’s eyes, Deku left because he sees everyone else as too weak to keep up with him, which would make early Bakugo ******* explode and reeee so hard the manga page collapses in on itself. But the fact that Bakugo in the chapter, at WORST, made a joking taunt about Deku’s actions speaks to his development. Bakugo is one of Deku’s closest foils. Did Kacchan vs Deku round 2 mean nothing to anyone? Uraraka is a close friend, yes. Bakugo is just as close too, if not way closer, as Deku himself said.

Also, this is how the fight goes: Sato punches and overpowers Deku, flinging him into Mineta’s prepared ball trap which could hold All Might down. Deku is captured in one deliciously drawn page.

Good set up for next chapter and to see how useful the students can be. Izuku's probably going to run not fight, might ditch his GPS if he realizes that's how they found him. Which would be bad, so they can't fail here or no one is going to find him.

I hope Class 1-A will show great improvement here, since words alone aren't ever going to be enough to stop Izuku. Him leaving for their safety is just another way of saying he doesn't trust them to support him, protect themselves, or even trust his own ability to protect them. If they come at him and fail here, they'll just further validify his decision. That'll likely led to the actual worst case scenario, which is Izuku losing contact with the Pros and going completely solo.

He's completely drained and injured but they still couldn't catch him, there's no way they'll be of any help. Of course they don't have to be strong, just fast enough to not get blitz and be capable of supporting him when he needs it.

Though I kind of wished they show the class talking more about Izuku's decision, like why he feels the need to do this and what they can do to lessen his burden. We didn't need to get back to Izuku in this chapter, I wouldn't have mind the entire chapter be about the Class coming to grips with what they learned, and it ending with the implication that they know how they can support him.

Going to wait for the official translation before I comment on anyone's behavior in the chapter though.

Not excited for the anime original episode, these decisions just leave me more and more confused.

Last edited:
Also,
Bakugo did not “provoke” Deku into fighting. This just sounds like Bakugo hatred for the sake of it, not for anything he did wrong. Every student was going to try bring him back regardless, and Deku was going to try and run regardless. It was decided before they even arrived. Bakugo just mocked Deku a little bit for trying to act like All Might once again and failing at it. If anything, Deku provoked the class into fighting them by activating his quirk and telling them to move and then Bakugo responded.

I think there's a little too much Bakugou criticism going on here. Bakugou in this chapter isn't that bad. The only time he acts abrasive this chapter is with deku, and him correcting Momo(can we talk about how Bakugou only got his name through after Midnight died). Class 1-A already expected to fight Deku judging from the dialogue from Iida and Deku only forced their hand by threatening them by activating OFA. Bakugou is clearly developing as a character as aside from Deku he actually talks like a normal human being, and it's understandable why he's abrasive towards him as he has a lot of emotions towards deku he doesn't know what to do with so he lashes out. I'm not the biggest Bakugou fan(I prefer the Pro heroes and LOV), but I don't want to belittle his character development.

Also regarding the anime, I'm going to rant, I am very disappointed with the way they handled this entire season. It really feels like Bones has gotten complacent and has stopped going plus ultra like they used to.

Here's why:

-The pacing of the joint training arc
One of biggest issues of the joint training arc was it's pacing which wasn't Horikoshi's fault as this arc was published during a weird time, but this arc could have been adapted in 6-7 episodes very easily and I don't think we would have had as big of an issue, and I would have been ok if they had decided to the rearrangment later as there would have been time for it and we still could have gotten the MVA arc for the second cour, instead they extended the joint training arc with flashbacks and filler scenes just to make it take the whole cour.

-The second opening

The song for the second opening was ok, the visuals were terrible, filled with meaningless stillframes and having very little actual animation in it, it really wasn't great I actually prefer the fan made mad opening for the MVA arc vs this one.

-The shortening of MVA

I don't like this at all, the joint training arc had shorter and less chapters than the MVA arc in the manga. Now there actually going to make the MVA arc nearly half the size of the joint training arc.

I really hoped Studio Bones wasn't going to shaft MVA this season because I knew it wasn't as popular in japan I thought they were more professional than that. I thought they would only change things to better the story of the anime. I was wrong.

The pacing of the joint training arc
One of biggest issues of the joint training arc was it's pacing which wasn't Horikoshi's fault as this arc was published during a weird time, but this arc could have been adapted in 6-7 episodes very easily and I don't think we would have had as big of an issue, and I would have been ok if they had decided to the rearrangment later as there would have been time for it and we still could have gotten the MVA arc for the second cour, instead they extended the joint training arc with flashbacks and filler scenes just to make it take the whole cour.
I absolutely agree with this
I went into this season mostly saying
The JT read weekly was very painful but Bones could get it done in 8 eps max, instead it got stretched out. Which is a shame as the animation quality was actually really good in JT (Felt more consistent that last seasons first cour imo)
-The shortening of MVA

I don't like this at all, the joint training arc had shorter and less chapters than the MVA arc in the manga. Now there actually going to make the MVA arc nearly half the size of the joint training arc.

I really hoped Studio Bones wasn't going to shaft MVA this season because I knew it wasn't as popular in japan I thought they were more professional than that. I thought they would only change things to better the story of the anime. I was wrong.
I’m trying to be more positive on MVA though we can hope that less episodes means bones will get to have every combat encounter in the arc be immensely well animated. Maybe they can pull another pro hero arc and make 6 chapters an episode flow well.

But then again we know in the anime they’re going to show the Liberation Army talk before MVA so anime onlies will feel little stakes while watching it.

I absolutely agree with this
I went into this season mostly saying
The JT read weekly was very painful but Bones could get it done in 8 eps max, instead it got stretched out. Which is a shame as the animation quality was actually really good in JT (Felt more consistent that last seasons first cour imo)

I’m trying to be more positive on MVA though we can hope that less episodes means bones will get to have every combat encounter in the arc be immensely well animated. Maybe they can pull another pro hero arc and make 6 chapters an episode flow well.

But then again we know in the anime they’re going to show the Liberation Army talk before MVA so anime onlies will feel little stakes while watching it.
Thing is prohero arc worked because the whole thing was only like 10 chapters in the manga , so they were adapting 3-4 chapters and episode which wasn't that bad.

I am really annoyed their actually showing the LOV in this arc , the rearrangment between MVA and Endeavor Agency has produced nothing but negatives for the story RN

Worse Opening
Lowering Stakes for MVA
Extending the lax tone of Joint training arc

I would have preferred they just delayed the movie a bit or just make it somewhat manga spoilers like they did last movie which still did really well.

At this point I'm holding out hope that they at least make MVA for the little it will get really good. This is not going to be a 9/10 season for me, but if they can stick the end with MVA it could be a solid 8 or high 7.

Season 5 in general, despite having better animation than season 4 has still felt pretty low tier to me. I just wish they didn't lengthen JT arc so much. It didn't need an entire cour and the extra time could have been used to adapt stuff like Aizawa backstory or the filler episode they are now doing.

Switching MVA and EA is still to me one if the biggest mistakes the anime ever made. So much is spoiled and on the opposite end cut out to maintain the mystery and avoid spoiling. So either way no one is adequately satisfied.

And people kept saying the switch wasn't for the movie but the filler episode suggests otherwise cause it's clearly a movie tie-in episode. I still don't get why they did this when they didn't try something similar with Heroes Rising & that movie still did really well.

At this rate MVA episode count just keeps going down.

Anyway as for Deku vs Class A, the only guys I see holding out for a while is:

Bakugo, Iida, Tokoyami, Todoroki and maybe Kirishima.

I would put Ochako, Mina in the next tier where they won't be blitzed or one-shot but still won't be of much help to the fight.

Then there's guys like Kaminari, Sato, Mineta, Sero, etc. I think for them they'll only be support if they get someone to protect them. Sato could be useful if he gets a strength buff.

The rest just get blitzed and one-shot. In fact if Deku decides to blitz, at most only Iida, Bakugo and maybe Shoto are reacting to his speed.

Anyway as for Deku vs Class A, the only guys I see holding out for a while is:

Bakugo, Iida, Tokoyami, Todoroki and maybe Kirishima.

I would put Ochako, Mina in the next tier where they won't be blitzed or one-shot but still won't be of much help to the fight.

Then there's guys like Kaminari, Sato, Mineta, Sero, etc. I think for them they'll only be support if they get someone to protect them. Sato could be useful if he gets a strength buff.

The rest just get blitzed and one-shot. In fact if Deku decides to blitz, at most only Iida, Bakugo and maybe Shoto are reacting to his speed.
what about those grape balls, they are somthing else.

I think Ochako's Zero Gravity might be used to let others in the class chase after Deku in the air.

Assuming the Endeavor Agency Arc ends at Episode 17-18, that would leave 7-8 episodes for MVA

MVA is 22 Chapters, meaning that would give a rate of around 3 Chapters per episode and remember that a lot of those chapters are just fight based, so it could be even faster

It is very possible for MVA to be well adapted and not rushed, however It may want to stop early and stop before the bits like Shigaraki starting his operation, if it does, then I can see the Anime ending strong

Because yeah, Season 5 has been pretty meh with last episode being a ******* god awfully animated mess

Action episodes can get through 4 or 5 chapters easily.
I'd assume that the MVA arc won't have recaps every episode like the JT arc so it's possible.

My problem is that the rearrangement of arcs resulted to certain scenes being disrupted or changed, so they either gonna remain changed or are gonna be ignored or some other way has to be done to include them seamlessly.
E.g. Endeavor reading Hawks' coded message. Are they gonna repeat that again with the full message (might happen tomorrow) or not?

I think Bones can still make a good adaptation of MVA. The arc itself at most can be adapted to 8 episodes assuming no filler takes place within. Aside from that, yeah, a lot of their decisions this season are nonsensical and it just feels to me they are using the anime as a means of maximizing profit for the movie--which, lets be real, they don't need to do that.

If we go by the OVA weakened All might couldn't break free.
Only because he didn't break the concrete. Even for Machia, he didn't need to unstick the balls to break free during War arc, he just needed to overwhelm Sato, Shishida and Kendo.

Deku could just break the ground or structure he is stuck to so as to escape.

Back