• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MvC profiles are now possible

I mean, the reason why some profiles get deleted or are straight up not allowed in the first place is that, not being relevant or unique enough despite being characters on their own from a game, an alternate timeline or such and avoiding dozens of versions of the same characters is the point.

"3) Should said alternative versions originate within the main continuity, they would also be considered primary canon, and allowed, if notable enough.

Ex: Thought Robot/Cosmic Armor Superman, the DC One Million characters, and the Earth-3 Crime Syndicate of America all originate within mainstream comics, and feature interactions with the primary DC Characters. Similarly, the Marvel Ultimate Universe was a prominent comicbook line for a considerable time, and the two continuities have recently merged into one, so profiles from said verse are also allowed, as long as proper feats and scaling can be found for the statistics."

Since MvC is its own numbered continuity, ergo a canonical part of the marvel universe, it falls under this case.
MvC isn't covered by point 3, because it is in point 2, an alternate timeline with little relevance Alternative Canon/Non-Canonical profiles for Marvel and DC Comics can only be created if the version in question proves relevant/notable enough, through popularity and/or number of issues present.

I don't think that relevance in this case refer to how many people are aware of the existence of MvC,but rather how different they are. Wolverine being able to project energy in a single super move is far from enough, considering that it is pretty much the only difference.

Point 4 also encompasses most of MvC characters.

Franchises which contain non-canonical spin-offs/movies/videogames, et cetera, each with their own continuities and feats, yet not to the extent that Marvel and DC Comics do, should only be allowed profiles for notable original characters from said spin-offs, and not alternate versions of canonical characters, unless they are very prominent and notable.

Ex: Main villains from non-canonical movies of Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, One Piece and the like can be allowed profiles, yet most versions of Son Goku contained in games such as Shin Budokai should not, as the only difference they hold from Canon Goku lies in their extent of power. However, given the prominence and popularity of Dragon Ball GT, alternative versions of Goku and Vegeta from this continuity have been allowed. If the alternate non-canonical version of a character is notable enough in the sense of having their own feats, and a different role and purpose, then it is possible that profiles for them can be created.

Even the summarization can be applied

The key issue overall is notability/relevance. If a spin-off version of a character is very popular, prominent, and distinctive from the original, with a sufficient number of feats or descriptions to scale from, it can generally be featured.

However, if it is obscure, does not have enough of a distinctive story to even qualify as a separate character (such as if it originates within a fighting game), and very limited information to scale the statistics from, it should likely not be featured.

And we still can't close the eyes before the total absence of connection that they game have between each other, and all the points I previously brough tup haven't been confuted, just a "it's likely that they are".

Remove all mentions of MvC Marvel characters as examples within the Crossover section, I think you can see the page yourself and note how many times they (now wrongly) mention that MvC Marvel profiles aren't allowed on the presumption they're the same characters as their 616 counterparts
But we already knew that this is an unofficial crossover, i.e. one not happening to the main canon characters. Have we not mentioned this?

Impress is arguing that the universe of MvC has been somewhat canonized by Marvel by turning it into one of the many Earths of the multiverse, Earth-4080 or something, which would make the characters their own native versions.

Personally I'm fine with it, but the point is that said characters, for how legitimate they can be, are very little to no different from the main versions, and it would be pointless to have profiles for them. OC's such as Ultron-Sigma, Cyber Akuma, Shadow Lady and maybe others I can't think of at the moment should be allowed, given how unique they are, but all others shouldn't have a profile.

On top of that, I'm arguing how the series as a whole has canonicity problems, as nothing implies that the games are canon to each other, as they feature different cosmologies, characters not being aware of all past events or straight up not knowing each other while they should (without account the fact that some would just tend to disappear).
Marvel didn't make it easier, by killing the in-verse version of Spider-Man, while in the games he is still alive, something that it can't be ignored, and the premise itself stands on Marvel having canonized the verse in the first place.

That makes the already difficult task to find reliable feats even harder, because you couldn't scale stuff between games.

Anyway, I largely agree with Saman, but am neutral regarding if the characters are different enough from the originals to get their own character profile pages. I am not well informed enough.

Also, coincidentally, I removed the MvC category from the original characters earlier today, as the game happens in a non-canon crossover for them.

When did Morlun "kill" this version of Spider-Man btw?

Here, it comes from the Spiderverse arc and I think it's the first instance where we see the MvC universe being one of the many in the multiverse. (I may also have this issue, I should check)

We don't really see this Spider-Man die, but Morlun and his family were ravaging the multiverse to kill the Spider-Men and eat they life essence, they did it to hundreds of them while visiting as many universes, and it would be weird for Morlun to just knock him out and then leave. (I know you are knowledgeable on Marvel, but I don't know if you have read or know this arc).

Last thing to clarify, as we were debating it, am I wrong or alternate versions of characters aren't allowed when they are too similar to the main one? Because I thought the main point was for a character to be different in story, powers, personality and such and not just being canon to something.

Here, it comes from the Spiderverse arc and I think it's the first instance where we see the MvC universe being one of the many in the multiverse. (I may also have this issue, I should check)

We don't really see this Spider-Man die, but Morlun and his family were ravaging the multiverse to kill the Spider-Men and eat they life essence, they did it to hundreds of them while visiting as many universes, and it would be weird for Morlun to just knock him out and then leave. (I know you are knowledgeable on Marvel, but I don't know if you have read or know this arc).
Well, we only see this as a generic fighting game universe, with no other information about it, so drawing the conclusion that it is automatically identical to MvC seems unreliable.
Last thing to clarify, as we were debating it, am I wrong or alternate versions of characters aren't allowed when they are too similar to the main one? Because I thought the main point was for a character to be different in story, powers, personality and such and not just being canon to something.
Yes, you are correct. It is just hard to draw the line sometimes. The rule is mostly there so we do not get 10 duplicate profile pages for every single Naruto character based on fighting games, for example, but it has failed to prevent a massive amount of Godzilla versions, for example (although I think that some of the least relevant ones were removed recently at least).

There may be more references to it of which I'm not aware, but I can't find other appearances or statements.

It being the MvC reality is suggested by Spider-Man yelling the names of the moves he has in the series, but just the fact that he gets killed totally clashes with the already non-structured canon and continuity of the series itself.

Yes, it seems unreliable.

Without account the fact that some would just tend to disappear
Tbf Capcom had it hard working with Marvel, cuz of the rights on their characters, which is more evident with infinite where x-men and FF characters were excluded for that reason, so thats more on legal stuff with characters then a reason for arguing canonicity

Also they say in the corner which Earth is that scan with spidey vs morlun, which matches with the one the OP says it canonized the MvC series

Edit: Also iirc Deadpool once mentioned Street Fighter and performed a shoryuken as well to somebody and he was in the MvC series were ryu also questions deadpool knowing his move

I know, but their presence being inconsistent is just added at the end of a long list of other reasons.

Btw, this thread shouldn't be closed because there is still ground for some characters to be added and can be useful to gather feats, discuss stuff and so on.
Even bring new evidences, who knows.

We know that the scan indicates the number of the universe, but I think it matches just because that's the first and only instance where this Earth-8something is referenced (and I might be wrong). But still, it existing within the Marvel multiverse doesn't save if from the many problems the series has, at most it increases their number.

Pretty sure Superman has like 20 profiles that are similar to each other in story and powers, still is allowed, same for other super heroes from DC and Marvel

I understand that we avoid profiles that are too similar to others, but MVC characters have an actual story completely different from their main versions, with some having different powers even (Wolverine can project energy for example), and going by, again, Superman profiles for example, having a different story and a few different powers is apparently enough
I had my Superman 64 profile deleted because it wasn't distinctive enough. So, ha.

Yes, it is based on DCAU as far as I know.

Please give this at least a few days before closing it if you intend to, I don't think Zark will be able to reply for a while.
No problem.

Has something happened to her?

I'm not sure if I should share, it's her privacy after all- in fact I kind of am not sure if I should have said that at all.

Yes. Of course. My apologies about asking.

This isn't Superman 64

This is Marvel vs. Capcom, one of the most significant fighting game franchises of all time, notability-wise this is it. I straight up will reject this claim that they're not notable enough to get files, because there isn't anything less notable than a fighting game franchise with 5 games under its belt.

And at the end of the day, that's enough, we never have had a "distinct" clause anywhere, it isn't worded anywhere, and the damn company itself doesn't consider it 616. What else do you want me to say? It's not non-canon, because non-canon in Marvel's terms, would be Thor: Vikings, or DC vs. Marvel, or technically Nextwave, or hell, any weird crossovers that are just never mentioned now. These are stories that supposedly happen in 616 but have been retconned by the writers, THESE are the things that are "non-canon"

We EXPLICITLY STATE we don't consider Marvel and DC Comics to fall under the "Non-Canon" point 4 within the Canon page,

"Franchises which contain non-canonical spin-offs/movies/videogames, et cetera, each with their own continuities and feats, yet not to the extent that Marvel and DC Comics do, should only be allowed profiles for notable original characters from said spin-offs, and not alternate versions of canonical characters, unless they are very prominent and notable."

read the damn page for once, Saman, this falls under point 5, Multiversal Clause

"Certain franchises also contain a variety of spin-offs and alternate continuities, yet justify their existence due to in-series Multiverses. In such cases, Rule Number 3 still applies, albeit to a lesser scale. Original characters from said works are all allowed, yet alternate versions of original canon characters should not be abused."

which redirects us to point 3, "Should said alternative versions originate within the main continuity, they would also be considered primary canon, and allowed, if notable enough."

I have proven notability, and that's what matters, what doesn't matter, is you making an arbitrary distinction right now to contradict something the damn IP owners themselves state. This isn't some contradiction, they say they don't ******* consider it 616, it's not 616, nothing in 616 references the events of MvC, it's a separate universe.

Last edited:
Also before someone states otherwise, I think this can be backed up you, Ant, "abusing" the 5th point refers to one-issue Elseworlds, not entire video game franchises.

I'm not sure if I should share, it's her privacy after all- in fact I kind of am not sure if I should have said that at all.
It's fine, I have developed pneumonia due to COVID, so not at the best of health here lol

I am sorry to hear that, and hope that you will recover soon.

Anyway, I suppose that you are right in that MvC is notable enough to qualify. The problem is if the characters are distinctive enough compared to the originals to do so any more than versions from popular One Piece or Naruto games, for example, and if they have a coherent continuity, as Saman said.

In any case you would have to source all power levels strictly from feats within the games themselves.

My point has never been about notability of the franchise, its position within the Marvel multiverse or it being canon to something.

My point is that they are the same as the original counterpart, they have next to nothing different, 99% of them don't even have a backstory as they are supposed to come from their original game (even though in-verse they share a world but have experienced all their classic games). MvC Wolverine is just Wolverine with energy projection out of a single super move and less specific stuff.

And the othet major point is that the games are disconnected from each other, as I've proven multiple times, and we can't just stick them together for accomodation purposes. Hell, you use the fact that Marvel recognized it as a major point to justify their existence, but are we going to ignore that Marvel itself straight up killed Spider Man, who is well alive in all games? Marvel is the first to create a contradiction, and ignore that would be a double standard.

And having MvC profiles wouldn't even need Marvel approval, as the series stands ups by itself perfectly fine, the point is that the characters aren't fully alternate versions, they are archetypes of each one put there to make a crossover.

By that same reasons we could pick each alternate version of characters coming from any of the infinite Earth-XXX and give them a profile because they are canon to Marvel which in turn is notable and makes them legit.
This would apply to every crossover or guest character from a notable franchise and canon to itself, but the major point is how different it is from the main one. Random example, Fortnite is an incredibly notable franchise and recognizes as actual in-verse characters a lot of skins from different media used as crossover, but that isn't enough to allow the creation of a Fortnite-Predator, Fortnite-Alien or Fortnite-Ryu, reasons why only specific, notable and unique guest characters have a page.

Last edited:
I think that SamanPatou makes sense. My apologies Impress.

I wouldn't have anything against those profiles if they were distinct enough.

In fact, the series has some characters that differ from the originals in a significant way (Cyber Akuma, Shadow Lady...), it even has OCs (Ruby Heart, Amingo, Abyss).

Capcom also has recognized some of them as belonging to a parallel universe.

Characters like them are perfectly fine to stay.
I also said that I could see a profile for X because, even if he differs very little from the original, he has a major role in the plot of MvCI and, most of all, has an infinity gems-powered cannon. I think it's already a stretch, but the main point is to not have irrelevant clone profiles, regardless of them being canon or not.

Marvel's approval by itself means nothing, as it doesn't add or take anything important at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Would strictly giving profiles to the characters that differ significantly be acceptable to you Impress?

I dunno if this has been brought up already, and I'm not massively knowledgeable on MvC, but since this would be an alternate universe treated differently to others, much like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Animated universes, etc, wouldn't the characters have to scale to their own in-universe feats, therefor the profiles wouldn't be duplicates as they would very likely have different stats?

Saman for the last time. Show me where it says they have to be distinct, in the rules which are applicable to these files, like, give me the line that states this.

If not, don't invent new standards on the spot, this scrutiny isn't a thing that is applied to any other files, notability is enough at the end of the day.

I couldn't care less what your personal feelings on them "not being distinct enough" is, because it's not a standard you've proven exists for these files, or any files for that matter. Godzilla files were deleted for making unnotable and irrelevant profiles, and any other example brought up has similar reasoning.

And I certainly couldn't care lesser on your personal opinion on them being the same as 616, when the creators disagree.

Wanna know the distinction? The plot that does exist in all MvC games, doesn't happen in 616. That's all the distinction one needs.

Certain anime & manga franchises also run into similar problems. For instance, Dragon Ball possesses numerous alternative continuity games, and non-canon movies. Other large scale franchises often run into similar problems, containing numerous non-canonical spin-offs and alternate continuities.

However, problem can arise from this: If one were to allow all alternate and/or non-canon versions of said characters, we would eventually be crowded with dozens of alternate profiles for the same characters, as well as composite profiles that cross-scale across multiple continuities and inflate the number of pages even more.

5) Certain franchises also contain a variety of spin-offs and alternate continuities, yet justify their existence due to in-series Multiverses. In such cases, Rule Number 3 still applies, albeit to a lesser scale. Original characters from said works are all allowed, yet alternate versions of original canon characters should not be abused.

The key issue overall is notability/relevance. If a spin-off version of a character is very popular, prominent, and distinctive from the original, with a sufficient number of feats or descriptions to scale from, it can generally be featured.

Being canon to something is only part of the reasoning, Ant also said that, we can't make dozens of versions of irrelevant characters just because they are legit, otherwise even these people could have a profile because they exists within the Marvel multiverse.

Or as I said, every guest or crossover character that is recognized in-verse by a relevant franchise can have a page, regardless of how identical it is to its original counterpart.

It's not a new standard, not at all, there have been plenty of cases of characters that got deleted because they were identical to their main version, with the only difference being a slight story alteration, situation or stats alone, even recently.

And the Godzilla profiles were in the same situation, they were even more different from the original than how the MvC versions of Cap America, Wolverine, Morrigan and Mega Man and all the others are. They are archetypes of specific characters translated into a crossover. They would be unnotable and irrelevant in the same way.

Plot alone doesn't mean anything if it doesn't have a particular influence on the character. At the end of the day they are all the same, they have fought some characters they have never met before, but they are still them in terms of personality, powers, abilities and so on.

The creators also says that Spider Man is dead. I might as well say that the Marvel writers aren't the creators of the series and their statements or actions aren't totally trustworthy, or their involvement is at the very least mostly unknown. The series is co-owned by Capcom and Marvel. A page depicting alternate universe that references the game doesn't automatically makes it canon to the entire series, as it's totally possible for it to be one specific universe and not the universe, which in itself is inconsistent and disconnected between all games but this seems to be ignored in this debate.

But again, Marvel making them a universe in their multiverse is irrelevant, MvC doesn't need Marvel's approval to be recognized and it wasn't the reason said profiles were forbidden in the first place.

Last edited:
Certain anime & manga franchises also run into similar problems. For instance, Dragon Ball possesses numerous alternative continuity games, and non-canon movies. Other large scale franchises often run into similar problems, containing numerous non-canonical spin-offs and alternate continuities.
Already stated, MvC isn't non-canon. Irrelevant point.
However, problem can arise from this: If one were to allow all alternate and/or non-canon versions of said characters, we would eventually be crowded with dozens of alternate profiles for the same characters, as well as composite profiles that cross-scale across multiple continuities and inflate the number of pages even more.
Says nothing about DISTINCTIVENESS, only seems to refer to notability
5) Certain franchises also contain a variety of spin-offs and alternate continuities, yet justify their existence due to in-series Multiverses. In such cases, Rule Number 3 still applies, albeit to a lesser scale. Original characters from said works are all allowed, yet alternate versions of original canon characters should not be abused.
This is in-reference to Elseworld stories, which aren't notable enough
What point is this from?
Being canon to something is only part of the reasoning, Ant also said that, we can't make dozens of versions of irrelevant characters just because they are legit, otherwise even these people could have a profile because they exists within the Marvel multiverse.
Yes, Saman, please compare a video game franchise 5 games in, to these one-panel characters. Excellent strawmen you've brought up
Or as I said, every guest or crossover character that is recognized in-verse by a relevant franchise can have a page
Saman are they guest characters? Or crossover characters?
It's not a new standard, not at all, there have been plenty of cases of characters that got deleted because they were identical to their main version, with the only difference being a slight story alteration, situation or stats alone, even recently.
Again, show the statement that asks for distinctiveness.
And the Godzilla profiles were in the same situation, they were even more different from the original than how the MvC versions of Cap America, Wolverine, Morrigan and Mega Man and all the others are. They are archetypes of specific characters translated into a crossover. They would be unnotable and irrelevant in the same way.
Irrelevance and Unnotability =/= Distinctiveness
Plot alone doesn't mean anything if it doesn't have a particular influence on the character. At the end of the day they are all the same, they have fought some characters they have never met before, but they are still them in terms of personality, powers, abilities and so on.
Please delete the MCU Captain America RIGHT NOW, if plot doesn't matter
The creators also says that Spider Man is dead.
Then so be it.
I might as well say that the Marvel writers aren't the creators of the series and their statements or actions aren't totally trustworthy, or their involvement is at the very least mostly unknown.
Universe designation are an editor affair.
The series is co-owned by Capcom and Marvel. A page depicting alternate universe that references the game doesn't automatically makes it canon to the entire series, as it's totally possible for it to be one specific universe and not the universe, which in itself is inconsistent and disconnected between all games but this seems to be ignored in this debate.
"It's more believable for my headcanon to be true than the 50% owner's canon"
But again, Marvel making them a universe in their multiverse is irrelevant, MvC doesn't need Marvel's approval to be recognized and it wasn't the reason said profiles were forbidden in the first place.
It was why they weren't allowed in the first place, mind you, this is something I distinctly remember.

Already stated, MvC isn't non-canon. Irrelevant point.

Says nothing about DISTINCTIVENESS, only seems to refer to notability

This is in-reference to Elseworld stories, which aren't notable enough

What point is this from?

Yes, Saman, please compare a video game franchise 5 games in, to these one-panel characters. Excellent strawmen you've brought up

Saman are they guest characters? Or crossover characters?

Again, show the statement that asks for distinctiveness.

Irrelevance and Unnotability =/= Distinctiveness

Please delete the MCU Captain America RIGHT NOW, if plot doesn't matter

Then so be it.

Universe designation are an editor affair.

"It's more believable for my headcanon to be true than the 50% owner's canon"

It was why they weren't allowed in the first place, mind you, this is something I distinctly remember.
1) That was to not crop the entire quote, I wanted to paste it in its entirety.

2) That's because it would be easy to flood the site with legit but identical versions of the same character

3) That's your case here, in-multiverse reason out of the MvC universe supposedly being Earth-8XXX

4) Summarization at the bottom of the canon page

5) It's not a strawman, but using the logic "They come from one of the many Earths thus they are legit" brings to that

6) They are crossover characters, the entire series is. But my point is that being canon or even having a story or being recognized in-verse isn't enough to allow all type of crossover and guest characters to have a profile.

7) I always thought it was already explained throughout the entire page, but you might as well want to got to the Profile Deletion Thread and such to restore tens of profiles that got deleted until now because they weren't unique enough compared to the main ones despite being canon or legit in some way.

8) I mean, they are not distinctive by themselves. They are distinctive because they are famous characters made famous by their origin material, MvC doesn't define them in a unique way.

9) That's a little different, MCU characters have an entire origin, story, development, distinctions and more over the course of many movies, not not a handful of mostly plot-less games where at most they have a trailer and an ending. MvCI is the first to introduce a story mode, but even there each character does something little and isn't made unique

10) It can't be it when in the series Spider-Man is well and alive, is a contradiction from secondary or even tertiaty material, and it can't just be ignored when that page itself is what you use as a way to legitimate them (which is still irrelevant).

11) Not if that specific writer doesn't have any kind of involvment in the game series, in that case their word has little importance and at most can serve to make a reference but not affect the entire franchise. But MvC being canon or not to Marvel is still irrelevant

12) I mean, I haven't used headcanon at all, I brought examples, scans, video and you brought nothing even just to connect the games to each other, and an half owner doesn't define the status of the entire series on unrelated material.

13) Then it was wrong, Ultron-Sigma even has a profile because he is a unique and self-defined character. And that should be the any relevant criteria, establishing if something is canon or not and to what serves only to determine to what they can or cannot scale. Them existing or not should be defined by other factors.

Ultron-Sigma should probably be downgraded, I dont think the 2-C feat is anything but environmental destruction

We were debating about him several months ago in some thread (one about Dark-Khan, I believe), basically it's a matter of finding feats from the MvCI storyline, have them calced and then make a CRT.

We were debating about him several months ago in some thread (one about Dark-Khan, I believe), basically it's a matter of finding feats from the MvCI storyline, have them calced and then make a CRT.
Okay good, we should have no unknowns on that profile when we actually finish MvC as a verse though

Back