• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most well written characters for every tier

Yeah at that point it's very hard to determine who is better. Just mostly personal preference. Goku clears.
Goku is objectively the greatest fictional character ever written. The most complex, super deep, perfect character that could ever be conceived. When he said “It’s Gokuing time!” And Gokud all over the place, I experienced true happiness

Goku is objectively the greatest fictional character ever written. The most complex, super deep, perfect character that could ever be conceived. When he said “It’s Gokuing time!” And Gokud all over the place, I experienced true happiness
I liked the prowler plot twist

Comiphorous on his way to try and bullshit a Madness Combat or FNAF rep in this thread

neither of my favorite verses can fit in this bro 💀

i could try and bullshit how Jebus or Phobos should be in 9-A but i know damn well that aint happening.

For 8A I have uppermoon 1 kokushibo

He has of the best symbolism and character dynamics you can find well fleshed out motivations and emotional/character development as well as chatacter flaws and his character was inspired by the sun and moon gods from the Japanese pantheon as well as the icarus and the sun from Greek myhtos plus he is more relatable

If you're gonna make a suggestion here 9 times out of 10 the first thing you think of probably ain't it, and 99 out of 100 times anime and manga, with their hellish production cycles, probably wouldn't be the go to either.

If you're gonna make a suggestion here 9 times out of 10 the first thing you think of probably ain't it, and 99 out of 100 times anime and manga, with their hellish production cycles, probably wouldn't be the go to either.
no the first thing I thought of is it

It sure is funny that most here don't even elaborate on how their nomination is a well written character, examine their position in the plot and how well developed it is or mention some interesting traits that only a clever writer would do, instead just dropping zero context mentions.

It sure is funny that most here don't even elaborate on how their nomination is a well written character, examine their position in the plot and how well developed it is or mention some interesting traits that only a clever writer would do, instead just dropping zero context mentions.
I could very well go on like a 20-page essay rant about why exactly The Boxer is a masterpiece if needed

That wasn't just a "haha random series nomination" I WILL defend my shit

how the **** am I meant to explain 40 novels worth of character development here, Bob

read this and then this and then consider the fact that this exists based on the musings of the character in one paragraph of one of those books. Wikipedia link for that last bit too, come to think of it.

I can def make an argument that Roman's character progression, as well as the layers of depth he adds to his character from the past 3 years is some of the best character work I've seen.

Oh, actually, I would mention this chap for 9-A. Every single line uttered is incredibly hard, I think he may be one of the most quoteable characters of all time, at least.

7a425ff0d2a4e7b2e712d2110d3fa80b.jpg

Submitting Inuyasha (at least low 7-B to 6-A)​

Over 1000 episodes, 4 films, a lot of OVAs and even now a new anime for the new generation. Where should I start, from action/adventure genre to romantic/love genre as well as so many plot twists. I watched it when I was smol, and rewatched it three years ago, and I still love the in-line story.

I can confidently say that this anime is one of the fewer anime(s) that I watched (my list goes over 200+ animes) that Inuyasha is the only character that goes from Point A to Point Z, so naturally when he gets development, it’s not only because he needs it, it’s because he really NEEDS it, it’s more crucial to his character in the series because he has the furthest path to travel.

They invested a lot to showcase us the importance of relationship between brothers, also normalizing the forbidden love (a half-demon is not allowed to fall in love with human) as well as his old ex-relationship plot twists moments.

To get the context; I will explain each character's role:
  • Kagome Higurashi (the main female protagonist)
  • Kikyō (his ex-gf)
  • Miroku (a traveler and womanizer)
  • Tessaiga (his sword)

Most important aspects of the anime are:
  • Conveying himself
This is a bit tricky because Inuyasha is kind of a mix of expressing his feelings. Sometimes he's comfortable doing it, especially around Kagome or when he's forced to. But there are moments where he gets all closed off, especially when it comes to his past, parents, and how he grew up after losing his mother. These are topics he usually avoids or tries to forget. The hardest thing for him is expressing his feelings, but he gets better at it as the series goes on. Surprisingly, he's most open when he's drunk and meets the potion master near the end of the series.

Basically, Inuyasha can be pretty open about his emotions in certain situations, like with Kagome or in the right setting, but he still has some things he'd rather not talk about from his past. His main focus is moving forward and cherishing the happier times he shares with Kagome.
  • Accomplishment
Inuyasha never fully loses his impulsive and aggressive fighting style, but he does become a much better fighter, and a big part of that improvement is thanks to having Kagome by his side. When she's around, he becomes naturally stronger, faster, and more precise in his battles. It's not easy to do things like slicing through The Noh Mask just inches from Kagome's face, especially for someone who is still a novice. But he manages it because he trusts in his own abilities and his determination to protect Kagome without harming her.

His motivation to become stronger stems from his desire to keep Kagome safe, not just from others but also from himself. His initial pursuit of power might have been somewhat selfish, but that changes over time. He starts relying on the Tessaiga, the powerful sword he possesses, and through that reliance, he keeps getting better and better in his fighting skills.
  • Accepting Himself
Surprisingly, you'd think this character would undergo significant development, but he actually doesn't progress much beyond the beginning of the series. At first, he desperately seeks acceptance from others, even if it means compromising his own heritage. It's not entirely his fault since he was led to believe that being who he was, a half-demon, was wrong. So, he tries hard to prove himself "right" in the eyes of others.

However, as he spends more time with Kagome, he starts to understand her perspective and accepts her unconditional support. He experiences his human side at its worst, and that makes him determined to become a full-fledged demon. But a warning from Miroku stops him, as he fears the idea of turning against Kagome. Instead, he focuses on becoming stronger and protecting her after a dangerous attack on some bandits.

In summary, though it may seem like this character would go through significant changes, he remains largely fixated on seeking acceptance and becoming stronger, especially for Kagome's sake.
  • Trustingness
Inuyasha admits that he survived so far because he trusted no one, not even Kikyo, due to their trust issues, which were evident in how they interacted and eventually turned against each other. Ironically, right after saying this, he finds himself having to trust Kagome to save him and keep him safe. This moment becomes a major turning point for him, as he starts relying on Kagome's ability to help him and support him in tough situations. Inuyasha had been cautious about trusting others throughout the series, but with Kagome and his group of friends, he gradually learns the true meaning of trust and develops a stronger bond with them. This also leads him to understand companionship and love better, something he had a basic understanding of at the beginning of the series. Through his interactions with Kagome, Inuyasha opens up to new experiences and starts behaving differently than he used to in the past.
  • Conduct
Kaede had a great insight early in the series when she suggested that Inuyasha might resemble his father more than Sesshomaru does. At the start of the series, Inuyasha comes across as a wild and rebellious bandit, but as the story progresses, he undergoes significant changes. Deep down, he's actually a kind-hearted boy who craves acceptance, care, and companionship. The tough exterior he portrays initially is just a front. Due to his lack of proper upbringing, there are aspects of his personality that unintentionally push people away, and he sometimes behaves selfishly, act upon by his past experiences with bandits. However, as Kagome guides him, he gradually evolves into a mature and considerate man. Kagome plays a vital role in helping him adapt to society, teaching him how to interact with others and overcome his selfish tendencies.

Throughout the series, we witness Inuyasha's transformation into a more open and understanding person, leaving behind some of his childish behavior. Although he doesn't completely lose his identity, his approach to situations undergoes a significant shift, making him more receptive to the people around him. Kagome's influence is evident in how he learns to prioritize the well-being of others, not just his own desires. Initially, he was solely focused on obtaining the Shikon Jewel quickly, even if it meant endangering Kagome's life. However, this changes after Kagome confronts him and faces near-death situations herself, which causes him to reevaluate his priorities.

In summary, Inuyasha starts as a wild and self-centered bandit, but with Kagome's guidance and experiences throughout the series, he transforms into a caring and mature man who values the well-being of others.
  • Powerfulness
In simple terms, Inuyasha's growth and confidence are closely tied to his sword, the Tessaiga. Even though it could be categorized under Swordsmanship, that wouldn't give credit to how it shaped Inuyasha's character. The Tessaiga was made to protect Inuyasha's mother, so when he uses it to protect Kagome, it brings out his natural power, speed, and strength, making it a perfect match for him. However, his true strength comes from believing in himself and who he is. Confidence can be a tricky thing, as some characters like Naraku become too overconfident and end up failing. But for Inuyasha, Kagome, and Sesshomaru, their confidence grows throughout the series. Kagome and Inuyasha gain more self-assurance, while Sesshomaru learns to shed his overconfidence, which often got him into trouble. As Inuyasha accepts himself and trusts in himself and others, he continues to rise and become stronger.

Conclusion
Inuyasha's journey from A to Z is summed up well at the end: "taught."
He never really had someone to show him the ropes, lost his mom early, and learned things on his own in the wild. When he met Kikyo, no real learning happened. He tried to fit in and find acceptance, but when that failed, he created his own path. Enter Kagome, not just a crush, but a guide.

Let me give you an example from the actual show: remember when Inuyasha was feeling all gloomy, and he told Kagome he didn't deserve to be happy? Well, she took his hand and showed him the way to a happier life, being all supportive and stuff. Those moments when Kagome guides him through his dark times and pulls him out of his lowest points are pretty awesome.

Like, you know, everything about how he started feeling and changing, gaining more power, accepting himself, and wanting to stay true to who he is, trusting others, being an awesome swordsman, and tons of other stuff, all led to Kagome in some way. Inuyasha really makes it clear at the end of the series, and it totally makes sense, man. Her impact on him, turning him into a fierce warrior and a real man, shouldn't be underestimated, for sure.

8e5f11b14cd046815531202faeb8d6b0.gif

Last edited:
Back