• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Most Well Known Character of each Tier

<divclass="quote">The real cal howard wrote:
Not every single thing of Star Wars is stupidly popular. Luke and Vader and lightsabers and R2D2, sure. Not so much Obi Wan or Sidious. Defninitely not any machine from the verse who's not a robot/droid.

Then again, this is coming from someone who still hasn't seen the original Star Wars trilogy... </div> The Millenoum falcon is an iconic ship to star wars as much as the droids and what not, there's a reason why everyone always freaks out about the Falcon, and thats because of its Ties with Han Solo, and Han solo is a character that stands along with many great iconic characters, while Zelda's popularity is and legacy is far more restricted to the gaming industry, I mean even then alot of pepole think Zelda refers to Link. also this is coming from someone who worked at a video game store, you still get pepole that are unsure what LOZ is while the falcon itself has appeared in 5 Multi million to Billion Dollar Movies, hundreds of games, lunchaboxes, T shirts ect

@LordWhis. Not trying to downplay the influence of Star Wars (I mean, it's so important that it's required to be shown in film classes for a reason), but that's a major exaggeration.

The real cal howard said:
Not every single thing of Star Wars is stupidly popular. Luke and Vader and lightsabers and R2D2, sure. Not so much Obi Wan or Sidious. Defninitely not any machine from the verse who's not a robot/droid.

Then again, this is coming from someone who still hasn't seen the original Star Wars trilogy...
Obi Wan is ridiculously famous, obi Wan has become a neologism to refer to a mentor figure.

Even the Emperor is damn famous.

I was watching a TV show called This Is Us the other day that has absolutely nothing to do with sci-fi & in that there is a scene in which a group of supporting characters compare life to star wars & talk about how some people are like Luke & Leia & the Emperor and the whole story revolves around them & some people are just Chewbacca.

Tell me if you think that anyone can make such a comparison to saitama or megaman or anything else in a mainstream TV show.

The reason that The Force Awakens did not become the highest grossing movie of all time was because it didn't do that well in China. So at the very least the most populous country in the world isn't that much of a fan (still popular as hell though).

@LordWhis. Not trying to downplay the influence of Star Wars (I mean, it's so important that it's required to be shown in film classes for a reason), but that's a major exaggeration.
Is it ?

http://starwarsfans.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_references_to_Star_Wars_in_television

http://starwarsfans.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_references_to_Star_Wars_in_movies

http://starwarsfans.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_references_to_Star_Wars_in_video_games

http://starwarsfans.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_references_to_Star_Wars_in_music

http://starwarsfans.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_references_to_Star_Wars_in_miscellanea

http://starwarsfans.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_references_to_Star_Wars_in_webcomics

That's what I found in 5 minutes. And these are just direct references if you go more meta this number will expand several times over.

And we aren't even looking at copying & non-english stuff.

@LordWhis. I know what scene you're talking about, and it could be made quite easily with almost any other media. They were talking about primary and secondary/background characters. They could've used Indiana Jones or LOST or or Dragon Ball or Star Trek or Ninja Turtles or even made up their own thing.

"Joss Whedon credits the Millennium Falcon as one of his two primary inspirations for his Firefly television show.[18] The Falcon and the Falcon's distinct shape appear in Star Trek: First Contact,[19] Blade Runner,[20] Spaceballs, and Starship Troopers.[21] The manga series Berserk includes a Millennium Falcon arc.[22] In another manga and anime series, Hellsing, the Millennium Falcon is referenced briefly for comedic effect. The adult animation sketch-comedy series Robot Chicken aired a sketch entitled "The Emperor's Phone Call," in which Palpatine receives the news of the destruction of the Death Star with incredulity, at one point angrily asking "What the hell is an aluminum falcon?"[23]"

@lordwhis don't think Cal is arguing how popular star wars is but more on how popular the falcon is compared to Zelda

the Falcon is becoming its own ride in the Star Wars land..something similar to Disney land but for Star Wars

also Star wars is the second highest grossing media franchise ever.. meaning in everything.. games,films,books ect

Nico-v11 said:
The reason that The Force Awakens did not become the highest grossing movie of all time was because it didn't do that well in China. So at the very least the most populous country in the world isn't that much of a fan (still popular as hell though).
But indirectly star wars is very popular in China.

Naruto is huge in China & Kishimoto-san has himself admitted that he copied the concept of chakra from star wars's the force.

Shadowbokunohero said:
@lordwhisI don't think Cal is arguing how popular star wars is but more on how popular the falcon is compared to Zelda
^

This. I have zero doubt that Star Wars is popular, and far more popular than TLOZ. I'd put it in the top five most popular fictions ever, behind Mario, Pokémon, DC Comics (or specifically, Superman), and Disney (Classic Disney, like Mickey and co. Not extended Disney, because that would include Star Wars), not in that order. I'm just arguing specific facets of the series. Because not everything is as popular as the series itself. For example, Diddy Kong isn't super popular due to Super Mario Bros. popularity, Kakuna for Pokémon, Green Lantern for DC, and Chip and Dale for Disney

@Cal the problem is that Zelda isnt nearly as well known as Link, even though everyone might think of the name zelda. 80 percent will think of Link when it comes to the character

@cal:

When TFA was coming out GOOGLE modified Google maps to show either a Millennium falcon or a tie fighter, nuff said.

It's the name that matters as well, kinda. Zelda's name is known far more than Link's, while Link's design is more known than Zelda's (then again, his changes less than hers)

LordWhis said:
@cal:

When TFA was coming out GOOGLE modified Google maps to show either a Millennium falcon or a tie fighter, nuff said.
Google also has a Barrel Roll function, yet no one said Star Fox characters are among the most well known.

^^ People don't think of the princess of Hyrule when they hear Zelda, they think of Link, the boy with the blond hair

Then again, this is coming from someone who still hasn't seen the original Star Wars trilogy...
You'd be amazed how much of Star Wars is iconic.

Hell, just look at how many big tropes on TvTropes are named after things from Star Wars, lol.

@cal

You could make such a scene but none would get it because nobody knows the secondary Indiana Jones characters but everybody knows Chewbacca.

Again, I know Star Wars is iconic af. And I know it influenced a crap ton of media. It's just not every aspect of it is incredibly well known.

I agree with Cal. It is undoubtable that Pikachu is the most popular Pokémon or that Pac-Man is the most popular Namco character, but that doesn't mean that Pichu would secure the 9-B spot or that Dark Matter would secure the 4-A spot or that Spooky from Pac-Man should appear on whatever tier he is, because they're overshadowed by the actual iconic characters in the franchise.

I'm not sure about what's going on. But what I do know is that Goku easily takes Low 2-C. Charizard for Pikachu probably takes 6-C (if i remember their tiers right)

It's the name that matters as well, kinda. Zelda's name is known far more than Link's, while Link's design is more known than Zelda's (then again, his changes less than hers)
Have either of them changed their names more than once?

Shadowbokunohero said:
Supes dethrones Goku for the low 2-C spot
Which form of Superman? Because comics Superman definitely does not dethrone Goku. (when you realize this will turn into superman vs goku)

Back