• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mister Mxyzptlk Rework... or how I learned to spell his name

Status
Not open for further replies.
is DC still getting that "major downgrade" i hear in a couple of threads or did it get dropped? i saw a post in august it would be out in a few weeks but i have yet to see such a thread (however if it just isnt out yet I understand, DC is one of the biggest verses ever so of course it would take a while)

Yes, it will. But this isn't really the thread for it.

In any case, I am willing to drop the ap rating for pre crisis, it's honestly a headache going in circles and not worth my time anymore. But I am keeping the abilities.

I did, I just don't agree that they're issues for the most part. Plus you have stuff like JLA's story on Aquaman's imp that confirms thst Mxy is the same pre and post crisis and unlike someone with a crippling amount of anti-feats like Darkseid; Mxy doesn't really have that.
I don't think that the Crisis Times Five story featuring Qwsp established that. I do vaguelly recall that it was established in much later storylines though.

In any case, I am willing to drop the ap rating for pre crisis, it's honestly a headache going in circles and not worth my time anymore. But I am keeping the abilities.
Which abilities did you scale from the extremely uncertain continuity year 2000 story? Shouldn't he have enough abilities from Pre-Crisis alone?

Here we go with the uncertain shit again...

Extra justifications for RW, and new abilities like space-time manip, EE and soul manip

Hmm. I still find it very uncertain which continuity that this was supposed to be a part of, and if we scale from part of it, our members will demand that we scale from more of it. My apologies.

For world funnest? It scales to pre crisis cosmology and most just the 2-A part of it. Back then fifth dimension wasn't a transcendent dimension like it now.

For world funnest? It scales to pre crisis cosmology and most just the 2-A part of it. Back then fifth dimension wasn't a transcendent dimension like it now.
But it took place in the Post-Crisis continuity as well, so we would have to backscale a lot.

No, we don't. And if anything, he just destroyed a conventional 4-D multiverse, nothing as great as you make it out.

In addition, the fifth dimension wasn't a low 1-c structure back then. All higher dimensions back then were not transcendent. Fourth world and the other stuff are different, however, he didn't destroy that. he just beat darkseid, which is also 2-a at best.

Crisis Times Five story featuring Qwsp established that.
The entire point of that was that Qwsp visited Aquaman and wasn't ready for the new edgy version. So he altered himself to be more like Aquaman and turned into a villain.

If we're not using World's Funnest because it's an elseworld, then wouldn't that be invalid given how Mxy is the same person across all continuities?

Being overly picky does not mean being accurate or right, it's just being pedantic.

No, we don't. And if anything, he just destroyed a conventional 4-D multiverse, nothing as great as you make it out.

In addition, the fifth dimension wasn't a low 1-c structure back then. All higher dimensions back then were not transcendent. Fourth world and the other stuff are different, however, he didn't destroy that. he just beat darkseid, which is also 2-a at best.
But as I keep trying to explain, he explicitly destroyed post-Crisis continuities as well, so we cannot say that the 5th dimension wasn't a higher order realm in that story, and that is the big problem here: The story in question mixed continuities left and right, and as such we have no real idea which version of Mxyzptlk that was involved, or even if the story was canon or not.

The entire point of that was that Qwsp visited Aquaman and wasn't ready for the new edgy version. So he altered himself to be more like Aquaman and turned into a villain.
But as far as I understand, Aquaman still had much of his Pre-Crisis history intact in the Post-Crisis continuity, or at least he still encountered Qwsp at some earlier point in his career, before he went dark and edgy under Peter David.

If we're not using World's Funnest because it's an elseworld, then wouldn't that be invalid given how Mxy is the same person across all continuities?

Being overly picky does not mean being accurate or right, it's just being pedantic.
It was later established that he is the same person across all of them, yes, so that interpretation might work, if we want to include scaling from "World's Funnest". However, in that case we would have to get rid of separating him into eras in the first place, and I am not sure if that would be compatible with our upcoming DC cosmology revision.

But as I keep trying to explain, he explicitly destroyed post-Crisis continuities as well, so we cannot say that the 5th dimension wasn't a higher order realm in that story, and that is the big problem here: The story in question mixed continuities left and right, and as such we have no real idea which version of Mxyzptlk that was involved, or even if the story was canon or not.
We do what have what version was being used tho... Just read the comic and it's there. Right in everyone's face.

On top of that, I keep explaining that he just destroyed the standard multiverse. Can you prove he destoryed low 1c structures when those didn't exist back then?

He was literally just removing singular realities for most of the time.

But if Mxyzptlk said that he destroyed all of the higher dimensions, and Post-Crisis continuities were included among those destroyed, and the character has later been established to be the same Pre- and Post-Crisis, and the story featured continuities that were largely presented as quite offbeat or outright distorted compared to the originals, and the story did not fit in with the characterisation of Mxyzptlk either Pre- or Post-Crisis, and it has never been referred to anywhere ever since, how exactly are we supposed to make sense of it as being a canon storyline?

You are trying to make it more complicated than it is tbh. We don't need to backscale here at all. We treat COIE DC as 2-A afaik and that's that, nothing more.

He destroyed 2-A structures and higher dimensions weren't higher dimensions to begin with. The cosmology wasn't even developed that much back then. The only thing we knew about fifth dimension - at least from Mxy books was - that it was a higher Dimension with a separate space time, which doesn't equate to transcendant dimension - Young Justice Vol 1 3. And that's another reason why I removed the new years evil stuff

Well, I still do not think that this story, and its characterisations, seemed to fit well with either the Pre-Crisis or then current Post-Crisis continuity, for reasons that I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Yes, it will. But this isn't really the thread for it.

my bad, i thought it would be since this is a revision thread on DC

Alan Moore has only written something around 5 Superman and Batman stories.

It doesn't mean all that much in my view.
I don't think the power variation between writers is as noticeable for street level characters as it is for higher dimensional and cosmic beings.

What's your point exactly, Firestorm? I am just confused about that part.

Bottom line, what is the tier difference with and without the Words Funnest comic being used?

So I just re-read the comic, and I'm seeing the imps jumping through the meta-time of the multiverse, going back and forth between crisis events. They even went to heaven and gemworld. Also, Mxy said he wiped out all numbered dimensions and those with fractions. Not sure how many are above the 5th at this time.

Considering this was published in 2000, I'm assuming that they are working with the 11/26 - dimensional model.

In regards to a Pre-Morrison Cosmology key of sorts, I'm fine with using the feat since I don't think the imps have ever shown a limit until the later cosmologies came up.

pre Morrison cosmology key? what's that? haven't made a key like that.

as for dimension stuff... back in the day, we only knew about up to the seventh dimension - a higher dimension but not a transcendent one. but there was barely any development on fractured dimension.

From reading the debate, I personally think World's Funnest can be used

Well, the main problem is: "Used for what exactly?" Given that it either scales to Pre-Crisis Mxyzptlk from the Post-Crisis continuity, to Post-Crisis Mxyzptlk from the Pre-Crisis continuity, or was simply the first case of establishing that they are the same character, almost two decades in advance.

Wouldn't it be Low Complex Multiverse level since the Pre-Morrison Map God Realms are considered the 4th dimension?

Standard Universe = 3rd = Low 2-C < God Realms = 4th < Imps = 5th

When you said that they can't affect the 6th dimension, you said that is High Complex.

But according to the tiering system, High Complex is six to seven higher levels of infinity greater than a standard universal model or 10 to 11-dimensional real coordinate spaces.

The Imp 5th dimension should be 2 levels above the standard universe, right?

Ah you are talking about that.

Basically, Mxy rn transcends the main DC multiverse aka Morrison's map which is 11 dimensional.

Fifth dimension right now is something that exists throughout the entirety of DC multiverse, so it's also a 11d construct. Justice League vol 19.

Actually, merging his peak and fifth Dimensional would solve the problem.

Well, the main problem is: "Used for what exactly?" Given that it either scales to Pre-Crisis Mxyzptlk from the Post-Crisis continuity, to Post-Crisis Mxyzptlk from the Pre-Crisis continuity, or was simply the first case of establishing that they are the same character, almost two decades in advance.
So how should we solve this problem?/Which approach should we take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back