• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mister Mxyzptlk Rework... or how I learned to spell his name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluctor

VS Battles
Retired
Behold, a literal ******* wall of text (for comics lel)

Here is my rework of the page, look at it, dissect it, have fun with it.

As for AP... I don't like it for the modern incarnation. He should be straight up High 1-C instead of low 1-c and whatnot. it's kinda unnecessary. But I am willing to keep it this way, so whatever.

Also I think we should avoid scaling anyone from Mxy. Plus I think we should relook into Dr Manhattan shit.

You are scaling the Pre-Crisis version of this character from "World's Funnest", which was released in the Post-Crisis era. Also, the embodiment of the tenth dimension/The Ultimator was only part of a story that Mxyzptlk told Lois Lane, if I remember correctly.

Except for that, I do not have any particular complaints.

You are scaling the Pre-Crisis version of this character from "World's Funnest
That is correct. However, the design and character differences between them makes it clear it's the pre crisis version. In addition, we also see a glimpse of post crisis version but he isn't part of the plot.

Also, the embodiment of the tenth dimension/The Ultimator was only part of a story that Mxyzptlk told Lois Lane, if I remember correctly
Not exactly. At the end he comes to them for help but they pretend to be asleep so he goes away. Mxy basically wanted to gloat

That is correct. However, the design and character differences between them makes it clear it's the pre crisis version. In addition, we also see a glimpse of post crisis version but he isn't part of the plot.
He interacted with Post-Crisis continuities such as Kingdom Come. Going by this story alone, the Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis versions seemed to be treated as the same being. Also, I am not certain if it was intended to be canon, as it has never been referenced afterwards.
Not exactly. At the end he comes to them for help but they pretend to be asleep so he goes away. Mxy basically wanted to gloat
As far as I recall, it was just presented as a story within a story, and the events within it never referred to again. It is far too uncertain to scale anybody from it.

He interacted with Post-Crisis continuities such as Kingdom Come. Going by this story alone, the Pre-Crisis and Post-Crisis versions seemed to be treated as the same being.
Not necessarily. But I don't think that's an issue really. It just showed that he can go beyond the retcons and whatnot. He was literally travelling through time and space.

Also, I am not certain if it was intended to be canon, as it has never been referenced afterwards.
Well yeah, because pre crisis was dead.

As far as I recall, it was just presented as a story within a story, and the events within it never referred to again. It is far too uncertain to scale anybody from it.
But it wasn't tho?

And again, I don't see why these events needs to be recalled? Being referenced or not is rather is rather irrelevant. It isn't inconsistent with his power and statements either.

Also considering the limited appearances these guys get, I don't think it's fair to ask "why it isn't referenced again?"

I agree with Confluctor here, even if the story happened after COIE, it's using Pre-Crisis characters and frankly, makes total sense to actually be Pre-Crisis characters (or 1:1 replicas created by Mxy)

Whatever the case, it's clearly stating that he can be Anti-Monitor level if he wants

Look, I think that World's Funnest may (or may not) be fine to scale from, as long as we consider Mxyzptlk as the same being, transcendent of regular Pre- and Post-Crisis continuity, and give him far higher statistics, based on it, given that he destroyed ALL of DC Comics continuity as a whole within it, including the higher dimensions of its multiverse, and then restored it again, so he would be far higher than 2-A based on this.

However, I continue to very strongly object to scaling from a story that Mxyzptlk told to a sleeping Lois Lane and Superman. That said, there seemed to be other reasons to scale Mxyzptlk to High 1-C without it, especially if we include World's Funnest for the Post-Crisis version, which I would much prefer.

I agree with Confluctor here, even if the story happened after COIE, it's using Pre-Crisis characters and frankly, makes total sense to actually be Pre-Crisis characters (or 1:1 replicas created by Mxy)

Whatever the case, it's clearly stating that he can be Anti-Monitor level if he wants
Well, it was largely distorted parodies of different parts of DC continuity that Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite were heavily implied to have created just to have something to play around with, at the the end of the World's Funnest story.

As for the Anti-Monitor, if we are talking about the classic version seen during the COIE, Mxyzptlk in World's Funnest was far more powerful, but the AM was later upgraded beyond him in Scott Snyder's cosmology.

Look, I think that World's Funnest may (or may not) be fine to scale from, as long as we consider Mxyzptlk as the same being, transcendent of regular Pre- and Post-Crisis continuity, and give him far higher statistics, based on it, given that he destroyed ALL of DC Comics continuity as a whole within it, including the higher dimensions of its multiverse, and then restored it
Except... He didn't. He only destroyed the multiverse. He didn't really do much damage to the fourth world which is a 6-d structure.

On top of that, Mxy already has a possibly 2-A scaling, so I don't see what the problem here is.

Well, it was largely distorted parodies of different parts of DC continuity that Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite were heavily implied to have created just to have something to play around with, at the the end of the World's Funnest story.
Wrong, but even then, it's a 2-A feat.
As for the Anti-Monitor, if we are talking about the classic version seen during the COIE, Mxyzptlk in World's Funnest was far more powerful, but the AM was later upgraded beyond him in Scott Snyder's cosmology.
Why are we backscaling? It doesn't make sense to backscale here.

In any case, I am willing to remove the tenth dimension thing, considering other back up feats should grant him a higher tier so eh.

Except... He didn't. He only destroyed the multiverse. He didn't really do much damage to the fourth world which is a 6-d structure.
He said that he destroyed both the 5th and higher numbered dimensions.
On top of that, Mxy already has a possibly 2-A scaling, so I don't see what the problem here is.
The problem is that I am uneasy with suddenly considering this version of Mxyzptlk as the Pre-Crisis incarnation when the story was produced well into the Post-Crisis era and he interacted with continuities from it.
Wrong, but even then, it's a 2-A feat.
Much higher than that, I think.
Why are we backscaling? It doesn't make sense to backscale here.
I meant that scaling Mxyzptlk from the COIE era Anti-Monitor makes sense, but not to scale him from the Snyder version.

He said that he destroyed both the 5th and higher numbered dimensions
Yeah fifth dimension wasn't a low 1c structure back then.

The problem is that I am uneasy with suddenly considering this version of Mxyzptlk as the Pre-Crisis incarnation when the story was produced well into the Post-Crisis era and he interacted with continuities from it.
You do realise we have tons of stories set in prior continuities, right? Its nothing new.

Much higher than that, I think
Not, not really. Cosmology was 2-A back then. At least the main multiverse.

meant that scaling Mxyzptlk from the COIE era Anti-Monitor makes sense, but not to scale him from the Snyder version.
Yeah. Its just one part of his justification. Which makes sense. P

Yeah fifth dimension wasn't a low 1c structure back then.
Again, I am not at all sure that this was the Pre-Crisis incarnation, or just the Post-Crisis incarnation being reincarnatied as and aware of his previous self, or just a story that was not a part of official continuity, similar to Jim Starlin's recent Marvel stories, which may be the most plausible explanation.
You do realise we have tons of stories set in prior continuities, right? Its nothing new.
Yes, but this one would have interacted with later continuities as well, which doesn't make any sense, even for Mxyzptlk.
Not, not really. Cosmology was 2-A back then. At least the main multiverse.
See above.
Yeah. Its just one part of his justification. Which makes sense. P
We seem to be in agreement regarding this point then.

In any case, I am willing to remove the tenth dimension thing, considering other back up feats should grant him a higher tier so eh.
Anyway, thank you for being reasonable regarding this point.

Again, I am not at all sure that this was the Pre-Crisis incarnation, or just the Post-Crisis incarnation being reincarnatied as and aware of his previous self, or just a story that was not a part of official continuity, similar to Jim Starlin's recent Marvel stories, which may be the most plausible explanation
That seems like a huge stretch considering the difference in characterisation for both versions. Personality wise, pre crisis and post crisis ones couldn't far from one another most of the time. And on top of that, if mxy remembered his older self back then, then sure, but that retcon first came in 2006, and then later in 2016. So don't think it was the post crisis version nor was it using its cosmology.

Yes, but this one would have interacted with later continuities as well, which doesn't make any sense, even for Mxyzptlk.
Please, do elaborate, why does it not make sense?

Mxy was shown to be able to travel through time and spaces to other places, all the way to the golden age, and then the future. And then finally returned to the silver age where he fixed everything.

You showed me this already and I still think it looks good aside from the little formatting things that Amelia mentioned before, so I agree.

I don't think that it makes sense because Mxyzptlk would have travelled to the era of another incarnation of himself, because we would have to backscale a lot via retroactive continuity (It would be like saying that the Pre-Retcon Beyonder was always just as powerful as a cosmic cube), because it was stated at the end that Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite regularly create these types of scenarios and then destroy them to amuse themselves, because it doesn't seem to fit at all with his established Pre-Crisis scale of power, and because the canonicity of this story seems quite suspicious, especially as the other characters within it behaved in such an unusual manner for humorous purposes.

As such, I would much prefer if we strictly scale the Pre-Crisis Mxyzptlk from his own far more straightforward feats from that era itself.

end that Mxyzptlk and Bat-Mite regularly create these types of scenarios and then destroy them to amuse themselves
Just shows that they destroy and recreates it regularly? Even better.

established Pre-Crisis scale of power,
Except it does. He already scales to 2c possibly 2a via a fraction of his power. This just solidifies it.

In addition, I don't think this story is humourous, no not at all. Its actually quite a dark story and helps shape mxy's character quite a bit.

This is pretty good. Looking through unevenly in the P&A I can only pick up only 2 things; the Death Manip scaling from E. Joker isn't that power, we have no idea what Joker did, it would have been super speed and once he was done eating them they end up as a skull, or if they were already somewhat like that it could have been some Biological Manip. The other Death Manip via killing Batman is also wrong as that power resulted in his skin being burned away.

About joker, he didn't. He was just standing in the room and said China dead, and it happened. That's a clear cut case of death manip

As for the other one, I agree. I forgot to remove that. Will do so now

It's not like they just dead, they were eaten by Joker in an unseen way, there was fire in China with unknown context for it, yes for the perspective of the people Joker was talking to it all went down very fast, but due to his powers there was more stuff going on that we don't know.

The fire is more or less a visual representation. Either way, he couldn't have done it physically. The reason is because joker was using nothing but his hax. He was already doing resurrections and stuff, and a bit of life manip. He only got physical in the last issue and even that was for a bit

His hax could have dragged or teleported that people into where Joker ate them, we only see them after he did that, so it's unknown how he did that and how they were killed.

Just shows that they destroy and recreates it regularly? Even better.
But on top of everything I said earlier, this would logically have to scale the Pre-Crisis Mxyzptlk from the Post-Crisis continuity, which he destroyed. Everything about this storyline is way too messy, uncertain, and incoherent. Would it really kill you to just scale the Pre-Crisis era from itself instead? We have a big responsibility to only try to provide reliable information to our visitors.
Except it does. He already scales to 2c possibly 2a via a fraction of his power. This just solidifies it.
I don't mind a 2-A Mxyzptlk at all. I just very strongly mind scaling from this particular storyline, given that it did not make any coherent sense. Heck, he even destroyed a version of the "real world".
In addition, I don't think this story is humourous, no not at all. Its actually quite a dark story and helps shape mxy's character quite a bit.
It was a dark absurdist comedy, with many of the characters behaving strangely for this purpose.

His hax could have dragged or teleported that people into where Joker ate them, we only see them after he did that, so it's unknown how he did that and how they were killed.
I will reread the arc again tomorrow to get the preceding scans. Will come back to this later.

But on top of everything I said earlier, this would logically have to scale the Pre-Crisis Mxyzptlk from the Post-Crisis continuity, which he destroyed. Everything about this storyline is way too messy, uncertain, and incoherent. Would it really kill you to just scale the Pre-Crisis era from itself instead? We have a big responsibility to only try to provide reliable information to our visitors.
As I said, he already has a possible 2-A rating, this just solidifies it. Its story that's meant to be canon. I just don't see the problem. Everyone else is fine with it.

Heck, he even destroyed a version of the "real world".
Real world is not meant to be transcendent plane here. Its like prime earth from pre crisis era but slightly different.

If this is going to be such a huge issue - which it isn't, sure, I can drop it. I can't keep going in circles for an eternity.

I don't even care much for the tiering at the end of the day anyway.

I am more interested in the abilities and want them evaluated. That took more time to gather than this shit.

I'm sorta iffy on World's Funnest due to the Elseworld's label in the story.

Though personally speaking I think everything within the story lines up with what we know about canon nowadays and nothing in it contradicts Pre-Crisis really (besides maybe Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow).

As I said, he already has a possible 2-A rating, this just solidifies it. Its story that's meant to be canon. I just don't see the problem. Everyone else is fine with it.
It is part of my job to be picky with the reliability of sources, and I have listed numerous problems with this one already. We don't even know if it is supposed to be canon, or which version of Mxyzptlk that was supposed to be involved, and it is highly inappropriate to use retroactive continuity scaling.

If this is going to be such a huge issue - which it isn't, sure, I can drop it. I can't keep going in circles for an eternity.

I don't even care much for the tiering at the end of the day anyway.
Okay. Thank you for being reasonable.
I am more interested in the abilities and want them evaluated. That took more time to gather than this shit.
Are any other members here willing to help out in this regard please?

I'm sorta iffy on World's Funnest due to the Elseworld's label in the story.

Though personally speaking I think everything within the story lines up with what we know about canon nowadays and nothing in it contradicts Pre-Crisis really (besides maybe Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow).
This story was published in the year 2000, well before the current cosmology and well after the Pre-Crisis version. Its canonicity is unclear, to say the least. Also, please read all my other previously listed points.

Also, please read all my other previously listed points.
I did, I just don't agree that they're issues for the most part. Plus you have stuff like JLA's story on Aquaman's imp that confirms thst Mxy is the same pre and post crisis and unlike someone with a crippling amount of anti-feats like Darkseid; Mxy doesn't really have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back