• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Comics - Removing Spectre's 5D Imp Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deagonx

VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Good afternoon,

In conjunction with another thread I was looking into, I was trying to determine the source of Spectre's current Low 1-C key. It seems to primarily come from this thread by Prince of the Morning, and this sandbox was the Spectre profile he suggested.

Looking through past discussions on the subject, it seems that using the Thunderbolt/Yz feat to scale him to 5D Imps is generally considered unreliable. Even PotM had reservations. I think the specific subject of Spectre and Thunderbolt was overlooked because there were so many changes going on in the thread overall.

Primal/Unbound Spectre is what I'm most iffy about. His best feats/statements come from his Unbound state, but there are also scans that say he should be lesser without a host. I'm also pretty open to changing this tier if people don't think he should scale to Imps. I decided to add his Imp-scaling evidence to the proposed profile for now.

When looking back on past discussions, various DC-informed staff members have all rejected such scaling.

Ant:
The problem is that The Spectre was shown as powerless against the 5D imps during "Crisis Times Five" and "Emperor Joker", so the scaling is inconsistent. In addition, the Thunderbolt Cei-U was not established as a 5D imp at the time of the original Crisis, so I am not sure how to properly rate the Spectre.

Sandman31:

Extremely uncertain about rating Spectre as High 2-A because of that feat. Thunderbolt, despite being a 5th Dimensional genie was never portrayed nearly as powerful as Mxy and Batmite. The only thing they had in common is that they're both from the 5th dimension and considering that writers sometimes treat the 5th dimension as a pocket dimension/universe, I dont know if that's really enough

Further, the scaling is circular. Mxyzptlk went through a huge rework at the beginning of the year by Confluctor, and his current AP scaling reference beating the Spectre two different times.

Conclusion:

1. Spectre's Low 1-C scaling is based on a single showing against Thunderbolt. It also was not a drawn out fight, and simply involved Spectre sending Thunderbolt back to the 5th Dimension.

2. Thunderbolt hasn't been shown to be equal to Mxy and Bat-mite. To my knowledge the "second-wave" of 5D characters that Morrison made in JLA such as Yz, Lkz, and Qwsp have never interacted with the Mxy or Bat-Mite. In the story itself Qwsp was defeated by the 5-D police showing up and arresting him. And Yz forced himself to merge with Lkz, so there's clearly a hierarchy of how strong beings are from the 5th Dimension.

3. In the original storyline where Yz and Lkz were retconned into 5-D imps, they were shown to be more powerful than Spectre by trapping him in a planet. It's clear that Yz is not always as powerful as he was in that storyline, because otherwise Jakeem Thunder would demolish everyone he fights, and he doesn't.

4. Part of Mxy's scaling includes two instances of defeating Spectre. So they shouldn't scale to each other.

Last edited:
Okay. That is unfortunate. If you are going to be active again, and are willing to help out, please write down your username in the following pages:

I agree. The arguments against scaling the Spectre from 5-D imps make sense. I think we can rate him 2-A because Unbound Spectre is superior to Jim Corrigan and Hal Jordan keys.
That makes sense to me.

I agree with this, though could anyone find the source of this panel?
All I know is that it takes place after Days of Vengeance and that Unbound Spectre's destruction of magic left Mxyzptlk powerless for some time, if it can't be used for AP then surely it could give Unbound Spectre Low 1-C range or whatever

It does seem contradictory to what had otherwise been established at least.

Yeah I can't think of a reason why destroying magic would leave Mxy powerless

Honestly IDK either, I mean from my limited knowledge Imps are just so powerful that 3-D minds comprehend their abilities as being magic.
Regardless I don't think it debunks your reasoning for Imps being more powerful, just thought it should be noted regardless

It seems that this has been universally accepted. Do we want to wait for anyone elses input or should I implement the revision?

I think that you can probaly apply it now. Do you only need The Spectre's page unlocked?

Okay. Tell me here when you are done.

Or is somebody else willing and able to properly apply the accepted edits here? Deagonx has had some problems with proper editing in the past.

Yeah, I am not confident in my ability to do this correctly. Particularly because this scaling is the entirety of the "Unbound Spectre" key, so we should probably decide if we are just going to remove the key entirely.

Okay. Help from other members would be very appreciated.

Didn't Unbound Spectre directly neg Mxy? Do not forget that Spectre's power canonically varies, so that might explain why he lost to Mxy twice before. Not to mention that Day of Vengeance Spectre is explicitly him at his most powerful (not counting Logoz). Madame Xanadu even confirmed that he'll succeed at destroying all of DC's magic unless stopped

I'm a little cautious about the Crisis times Five scaling, as it's stated that Spectre was holding back to not kill the inhabitants of the world.
Not exactly. Zauriel said they (Zauriel and GL) can't free the Spectre without destroying the world. It wasn't stated that Spectre could free himself but refused to do so out of consideration. It was also said that the Imps were extracting energy from the Spectre.

I read through it again to make sure, I don't see it being implied that Spectre could free himself, so I would argue that the scaling is good. Heaven was concerned about what being would have so much power that they could imprison Spectre in the first place.

Didn't Unbound Spectre directly neg Mxy?

That was discussed earlier in the thread.

Okay. Tell me here when you are done.

I have made the agreed upon changes. I added the scan that Lucifer recommended for the AP justification for unbounded Spectre and added a reference for the scan. It was easier since I didn't have to try and remove the key itself, and made edits to all the appropriate stats for that key.

Though do feel free to review the changes yourself just in case I made a mistake. I'm making an effort to get better at edits so that I can be more helpful in the future.

It seems good to me at least. What do the rest of you think?

Just curious why is Mxypltk High 1-C?

And if he is High 1-C why isn't Emperor Joker also High 1-C?

I wouldn't use that scan to argue that Spectre is stronger hostless. In context, that scan is saying that Jim Corrigan split Spectre's powers in half here in More Fun Comics #75 and was getting his full power back here from Martian Manhunter who had just stolen half the Spectre-Force. Here's the page before. And after.

If I was going to justify Hostless Spectre being stronger than a hosted one, I'd use one of the statements of the Host limiting him. Such as here in Tales of the Unexpected #6, Here from Spectre vol 3 #7, or one from Hal. Let me see if I can find one.

Edit: Found one. Spectre vol 4 #10

Last edited:
Good point. I'll replace the current scan with those and add them to the references.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back