• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Minor change to the Durability Negation page

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
Currently, the durability negation page states
A good example of ignoring the strength would be a laser, which at negligible attack potency, easily cuts through thick steel sheets.
which, if you ask me, is a terrible example.
Have we ever on any profile considered a regular laser as durability negation? I don't think so.
Really, the idea the example brings up goes more so in the direction of sharp weapons being more effective than blunt ones. Unless the laser is literally so focussed that it can specifically target singular electrons or something like that I don't think we would list it as durability negation.

So I would like to replace that example. I think poison would be good, as it is easy to understand why it circumvents durability and is a real-life thing everyone has a good grasp on.
So how about
A good example of ignoring durability would be poison, as it can kill a person without even needing to wound them.
instead?

I'm fine with the changes, simply enough. Also, it may be unecessary, with maybe a note where it states that, only because that an attack ignore durability doesn't mean it will instant kill a the target.

I mean there are characters that when listing resistances list Durability Negation as one which isn't a thing. Most prominent one from my memory is The Nameless (who for some reason also resists body control?)
Oh. Resisting durability negation is absolutely a thing, if a move is shown and described in a way that negates durability (like say, just a sword swing that cuts through things no matter what basically) and it doesn't have said effect on you, it can be resisting Durability Negation. Though listing that for resisting a durability-negating thing like Poison I would disagree with.

Yeah depends on what the move is, if it is a unamed generic dura neg, is fine to say you reisst it, but if it uses something like soul manip or telekinesis, you'd have resistance to it.

Resists Dura Neg its indeed pretty fallacious, as its pretty broad; one thing its resisting an ability that ignore dura, and another is resisting dure neg as a whole.

Maybe we can just put "resistance to getting his heart exploded" or whatever does the unamed dura neg does.

Like we do eith those with "resistance to blunt attacks" like nomu or luffy.

That wording sounds weird: either the character is resistent in the sense that the explosion of the heart doesn't cause that much damage (kind of having great endurance, immortality type 2 or simply doesn't need a heart to survive), or its heart its somehow immutable (that its kind of nlf).

Resistent to blunt/piercing damage is simply Durability or Damage Reduction.

Resisting general "durability negation" is weird. You resist one sword that "can cut through anything" or some weirdness along those lines is the only real way you could get it.

Resisting abilities that neg durability by how they function is entirely different though. You don't resist someone blowing up your heart with explosion manip because you resisted the sword.

I can agree that listing just "resistance to durability negation" doesn't make sense. It's too broad.
One could list something more specific and link to durability negation, if there are no better alternatives, but just durability negation in general seems misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back