• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metroid V: Dread(ing the future for the franchise)

Oh, so Phazon negated the regen of the Aurora Unit and Dark Samus, and since they were connected to the planet, the planet itself wasn’t able to sustain itself, because Samus was negating the regen of the planet by affecting the Aurora Unit.

Dang.

Is there any other instances of Phazon negating regen, or were all the other times just used by people who hadn’t “mastered” Phazon.

And what level of regen neg is required to destroy Phaaze or the Aurora Unit fused with it? Mid-Godly or…

Last edited:
Two points I remembered from Smash Bracket's Pit VS Samus episode that could be talking points, both of these being in the post analysis:

1) There was a point where Smash Bracket says that Samus is "a powerhouse with decent versatility." She primarily uses beams and Missiles to fight but she's got lots of different types as well as stuff like Screw Attack, Speed Booster, various Morph Ball upgrades, Aeion and more. I wouldn't say she's lacking in the versatility department considering all the different types of enemies she's been able to defeat over the years.

2) There was a line when listing the various advantages and disadvantages Samus had that said "Her scanner likely would not have information on Pit." I'm assuming scanner is referring to Samus' Scan visor (her visors not being something discussed in the pre-battle analysis, not that it would have come into play at all during the fight) but saying the Scan Visor would not get any information on Pit seems silly, is it because he's an angel? Samus can scan ghosts, why would an angel be off the table? Besides, limiting Samus Scan Visor to the equivalent of a throw away line seems strange and invalidates one of Samus' most valuable tools.

Sory for the double post but here's a potential good fight for Raven Beak and his opponent isn't TOO far away in stats (at least according to this website): Vilgax. I got the connections from a reddit post and there's a lot, they are as follows:

"Two galactic warlords who wanted to use alien DNA to create an invincible army and conquer the galaxy. Both are obsessed with power.

Both are members/leaders of a rare, and normally innocent, species: bipedal aliens whose faces resemble animals (the Chimera Sui Generis and the Mawkin)

They are responsible for setting major events of the entire series into motion.

Both are the leaders of a civilization and a planet (Vilgaxia and ZDR).

Both have genetic enhancements/abilities the rest of their species don't have (Vilgax's true form and Raven Beak's wings). They also have multiple forms, including one where they fuse with a parasitic organism (Malware and the X-Parasite). As a contrast, Vilgax decided to fuse and retained his intelligence while Raven Beak merged with the X-Parasite against his will and became a mindless amalgamation/monster.

Both posed as someone else (Dagon and ADAM) to manipulate people.

At one point, their people became possessed by an alien parasite (Ectonurites and the X-Parasite). However, while Vilgax tried to help his people, Raven Beak didn't care and just used them as obstacles for Samus.

Both are responsible for massacres. Vilgax killed all Petrosapiens (in addition to that he used the Chronosapien Time Bomb to wipe out all Omnitrix wielders from all timelines), Raven Beak killed all of the Thoha). They left one survivor (Tetrax Shard and Quiet Robe) in order to use them.

They are enemies with a space-faring warrior that is empowered by DNA/fights with genetic alterations (Ben and Samus). They completely overpowered them at first, but were later defeated and had their plans ruined. These warriors transformed into aliens, have connections to a galactic law enforcement entity (the Plumbers and the Galactic Federation), and defeated Vilgax/Raven Beak by using the power they sought against them (Ben tricked Vilgax by turning him into Goop in Alien Force, Samus siphoned Raven Beak's life energy as a Metroid and annihilated his remains with a Hyper Beam). They were also defeated by the protagonist suddenly gaining a new transformation (Way Big in the original series, and Samus' Metroid form).

This is better than Ridley vs. Vilgax in every way, Especially because the main theme of the matchup is accurate to both characters. Ridley kills for the sake of killing and is a subordinate to Mother Brain. Vilgax and Raven Beak have the same motivation: creating an invincible army to conquer the galaxy. They are no one's subordinate, and they kill for a reason"

This was the reddit post I got the connections from:

Since no one has answered my previous inquiries I guess I'll triple post. A Samus match up I've noticed that's been popping up more often lately is Samus vs Nova Terra from StarCraft. Any idea why this would be? As far as a fight goes Samus not only MASSIVELY out stats Nova but Samus' gear counters, negates or resists everything Nova has. There's a suit for Nova that lets her short range teleport around the battlefield but Samus has defeated multiple enemies like that so it won't be anything Samus hasn't seen before. The only thing Nova could have going for her is her psionics, but as a physical attack Samus has been hit by worse, so unless Nova can make Samus' brain explode with a psychic attack Nova doesn't even have a win con. On top of that due to Samus' inhuman levels of willpower she would most likely resist any of Nova's mind tricks. I have no idea if Nova can make Samus see an illusion of her worst fears (a.k.a. Ridley) since that's the only psionics thing I can see working on Samus. Not that this couldn't be made into a good fight animation, but out of all of the characters Samus is compared to why is Nova being brought up all of a sudden? I can only guess it's mostly because "hot blondes in spandex" but that seems disingenuous to both characters since there's more to them than that. I've seen several people say that "They're the same character" which is a ludicrous claim. The connections I've seen are as follows:

"Space traveling hunters who were orphaned at a young age due to their planets being the target of mass genocide. Both afterwards would gain access to new abilities/enhancements to their bodies (Samus gaining Chozo DNA and Nova awakening to her psionic powers). As teenagers they would be trained by warrior species (The Chozo and The Ghosts) to become more skilled with their unique physiology before leaving to join galactic alliances (The Federation Force and The Ghost Squad). Despite this, both are known for being deadly lone wolfs that tend to go into missions alone."

Taken in broad strokes their backstories have several similarities but outside of that most everything else is different. Granted you don't need much to put a match up together, "This could be a cool fight" is all you really need. The only major connection between Carnage vs Lucy is that they're psychotic murderers and that's enough apparently. I don't know much about StarCraft or Nova but what I've read off of the wiki and what StarCraft 2 cutscenes I've seen of Nova Samus and Nova are plenty different. Bare minimum one uses power armor and the other wear mostly spandex and uses a sniper rifle/shotgun/monomolecular blade (this could do something since it ignores armor and shields). Considering Nova's looks and that she has several different visors/suit she can wear it wouldn't surprise me if Samus was used as an inspiration though. I always figured that besides Master Chief Samus' most popular opponent would be Megaman Classic or X. Other than Samus X's most popular opponent is Optimus Primal I believe which I find an interesting choice. There's similarities in how their stories play out, but in terms of gear and unique abilities they are VERY different. Then again I'm not an expert on Megaman X or Transformers Beast Wars so maybe I missed something.

Was considering if I should mention what people on the DEATH BATTLE! Discord channel have been saying on this kind of thing but there's a rule saying not to spoil/post exclusive content. I'm assuming just saying that regular people are talking about a thing is fine, but I'm also paranoid so I'll relent.

Samus Vs Nova would have been interesting on paper, but it is another stomp. Oddly enough, Nova Vs Master Chief was the very first Vs thread I ever made back when the Halo profiles were scrambled messes and there were High 8-C ratings but one some alleged calc with no evidence outside of baseless assumptions. Though since Spartans were later downgraded to 9-A (Which they will be back to soon since the 8-C calcs are outdated and bunk, and most of the Gen 1 era Spartans might be more like high end 9-B to 9-B+) It was still a stomp. And I didn't know how broken mind hax would be at that time, so looking back it was a stomp in general.

But Samus Vs Nova is an even bigger stomp since she's physically much stronger and resist her various mental powers. But if she was restricted to her Zero Suit, it would be more interesting but Samus would still out tough her.

Looking around some Samus vs Nova Terra threads I found this quote about Prime Hunters: "For Psonic stuff IIRC there was a room in Metroid Prime Hunters that used mind control to prevent the use of weapons but Samus could use them fine. She definitely has some level of resistance." If this is true I'd like to know what room that was, Googling "Metroid Prime Hunters Lore" didn't turn up anything. Psionics are mentioned to exist in Metroid with the Luminoth, Alimbics and Mother Brain but it's never been as blatant as something like StarCraft (outside of Gorea telekinetically throwing some objects at Samus but that isn't too crazy of a psionic ability to have) so how Samus can go up against psionics of any kind is somewhat hazy. I got this quote from this reddit thread btw:

Samus Aran couldn't be mind hax'd by Mother Brain, who has planetary mind manipulation, nor could Phazon hax mind hax her all the way which is basically capable of eventual universe wide corruption. There's also Raven Beak who is the true main villain of Metroid and also the one who corrupted Mother Brain and what not. Honestly, Sarah Kerrigan would have been a match up that makes more sense; regular Legendary Suit would do well against Primal Queen of Blades Kerrigan; she has mind manipulation that's like better than Mother Brain's but not as good as Metroid Prime/Dark Samus'. Samus Aran also is higher on the High 6-A tier as well as massively faster, so I think she'd still win. But the Ascended Xen'Naga Kerrigan would stomp no matter what since she's Low 2-C and upscales from Amon's speed feat who can basically oneshot the universe almost instantly.

As far as why Nova and Samus would fight I had an idea that could be cool. Nova is trying to assassinate a VIP that Samus was hired to guard. The initial assassination attempt would fail due to Samus' stats/precognition, and from then on the fight is about Nova trying to assassinate this guy and essentially has to fight/get around Samus to do it. Eventually Samus will win against Nova and Samus' VIP will survive the ordeal. Could allow for some cool environmental interactions and at the very least it wouldn't be some sort of random encounter in a field somewhere.

tBUzn8L.png

The difference is that those games were in the works for much longer; also porting the game but simply polishing the graphics to 1080p + upgrading frames to 60fps isn't quite the same as long adding a bunch of content among other things or fixing bugs and stuff.

At least it isn't little effort like what 3D All Stars was, but I am still disappointed with how little effort Nintendo has been doing to remake old games as of late yeah. Even the Wii U had a Metroid Prime trilogy that they could have just easily been ported.

So that justifies only one game being remastered with graphics and not all 3? Because we haven't gotten shit from MP4 beyond news that it got scrapped back to the beginning. Especially given how Mercury Steam were the folks making Samus Returns and Dread, Nintendo has little to no excuse to give the entire trilogy this treatment.

So that justifies only one game being remastered with graphics and not all 3? Because we haven't gotten shit from MP4 beyond news that it got scrapped back to the beginning. Especially given how Mercury Steam were the folks making Samus Returns and Dread, Nintendo has little to no excuse to give the entire trilogy this treatment.
Think you misunderstood me, this isn't just a port with updated graphics, but actually has new game mechanics. It takes much longer to remake Super Mario 64 with Super Mario Odyssey levels of quality control compared to simply polishing the graphics and resolution and porting it into some legacy collection. This Prime remake is closer to the latter in terms of remake quality; they upgrading the controls, the combat system, possibly adding more content and worlds to explore, giving you new abilities, ect. Which it would have been much longer to make for all three games.

Also, I never said this is justified per say. I would prefer it if Prime 4 was an actual focus, but I'm also pretty sure this is an appetizer for Prime 4.

Think you misunderstood me, this isn't just a port with updated graphics, but actually has new game mechanics. It takes much longer to remake Super Mario 64 with Super Mario Odyssey levels of quality control compared to simply polishing the graphics and resolution and porting it into some legacy collection. This Prime remake is closer to the latter in terms of remake quality; they upgrading the controls, the combat system, possibly adding more content and worlds to explore, giving you new abilities, ect. Which it would have been much longer to make for all three games.

Also, I never said this is justified per say. I would prefer it if Prime 4 was an actual focus, but I'm also pretty sure this is an appetizer for Prime 4.
From what I've heard, there are no new areas or abilities, which is a shame. It's just a big graphical overhaul. Imma wait for the physical release

Actually, the real made difference is the duel stick controls; which is a quality control improvement on the gameplay. But no new areas after double checking.

And I change my mind, I am probably not going to get it due to how little it is an improvement. Yeah, on second thought I am low key pissed that they didn't do it with the whole trilogy and/or they better really be working on Prime 4.

That’s not a new game mechanic, that’s just a new control scheme. Hardly any different from the base game much like how skyward sword is.

After completing Metroid Prime Remastered with 100% items and scans the only notable lore change I've noticed is that the log entry for regular Metroids was changed from this:

"Morphology: Metroid
Energy-based parasitic predator.

The dominant species of planet SR388, Metroids can suck the life force out of living things. A Metroid will latch onto its prey and drain energy, growing larger as it does. The only way to shake an attached Metroid is to enter Morph Ball mode and lay a Bomb."

To this:

"Morphology: Tallon Metroid
Energy-based parasitic predator.

The effects of Phazon have turned these Metroids – a species of alpha predator on SR388 – into a unique subspecies found only on Tallon IV. A Tallon Metroid will latch onto its prey and drain energy, growing larger as it does. The only way to shake an attached Tallon Metroid is to enter Morph Ball mode and lay a Bomb."

A neat bit of continuity since Metroids are called Tallon Metroids in Prime 2 and the description change is a way to imply why they can be killed without being frozen first. There are other super minor changes like the entry for Metroid Prime (Spider) has the word Ultrafrigid Beam changed to Ultrafrigid Breath but without scouring every single entry I haven't noticed anything major.

They're all limited if we exclusively used their NES counterparts, but Mega Man does have the most varied stuff if we went by NES feats alone. Think he might be the only one with really good feats from NES era alone such as lifting up a fortress or scaling from Protoman who has consistently smashed giant walls and blew up a fortress with a single shot. So, in a fixed fight like that, I would say Mega Man wins.

Kinda curious on thoughts regarding the arguments presented here: (14:30).

Mainly regarding Ridley’s Phazon/Phazon energy not being the insta-kill radioactive kind because it doesn’t match the properties of concentrated Phazon throughout the game, and why Phazon energy doesn’t heal Samus like normal Phazon does.

That’s really dumb, Phazon is Phazon, simple as that. We literally have 2 different types of Phazon in the first Metroid Prime and they still do the same thing, only one is more potent than the other.

By the way, there are leaked rumors that Prime 2 & 3 are coming out very soon and some time this year most likely, but it will likely be shadow dropped next direct; though no mention on how; such as price, them coming together, or only one and the 3rd comes in September's direct. Or they might be released as DLC for Prime Remaster, though that sounds like it would be a stupid method if it was that. But the source has been consistently reliable.

By the way, there are leaked rumors that Prime 2 & 3 are coming out very soon and some time this year most likely, but it will likely be shadow dropped next direct; though no mention on how; such as price, them coming together, or only one and the 3rd comes in September's direct. Or they might be released as DLC for Prime Remaster, though that sounds like it would be a stupid method if it was that. But the source has been consistently reliable.
Which source?

Some guy known for mentioning leaks and usually turns out to be right; there are a lot of YouTube videos talking about them.

Here's a video example

And source here

Releasing Prime 2 & 3 on Switch seems obvious, they're apart of the acclaimed Metroid Prime Trilogy and Prime Remastered 100% ending is a cliffhanger. I hope Prime 2 & 3 get the remastered treatment, they're both worthy of it and I'd love to see things like Quadraxis, the Light Suit and Phaaze with updated textures.

Also I find it strange that over the last few years there's been plenty of Metroid leaks and rumors and they've all come true outside of stuff like a Super Metroid/Metroid Fusion Remake (I see these as only a matter of time). It could be that Nintendo are putting out these rumors to build hype over time since that Star Fox Grand Pix rumor was by Nintendo themselves to try and reveal leakers.

Back